Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock WS6 vs Brand new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as modding I think your average 5.0 user will never see anything more then bolt on's or possibly a FI setup seeing that cam's and heads are not cheap for a modular motor. This will keep our little ls1 hearts beating Hahaha[/QUOTE]

I think this will changes with the new 5.0 there will be a higher demand and more of a reason to make them a little more affordable,i hope.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Killemall
Why is your torque so low at 404? Did you have the car dyno tuned yet?
With the Boss you lose a little tq. I also have a emailed tune. I will be doing a full dyno tune once get a few more things. I should pick up least 20wtq with next thing and a full dyno tune. Plus a few hp. And over 100whp/100wtq with another

Last edited by ohioborn80; 05-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Comp cams are $1500. I knew there was a reason I like my L76 G8 more. But i guess that what happens when need for 4 cams. But you can get the Boss cams for $220 and only need exhaust side. Heads are crazy also. But from what seen can run sam eprice as a good pair of ported polished LS heads. Boos heads are min. of 1300 each.
How much would boss cams give? I think they will do great even better then an ls1 would responding to the same mods Just that price tag on a modular motor is ouch.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff,dayton is a cruise for me but if we can get together at a good time like on a weekend that would be cool.ill try and round up some more guys together the more the merrier lol
Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
How much would boss cams give? I think they will do great even better then an ls1 would responding to the same mods Just that price tag on a modular motor is ouch.
Im talking to a guy from Revolution Automotive in MD he said he gained 30whp down low and then it grew to 45whp once he installed the boss. He is one that went 10.7s with bolt ons and ported heads. He thinks now he can get low 10s out car.

Only thing i am looking at is he says they will fit with stock heads. Ford and bunch others say they will not with out a CNC job. Yes i can order Boss heads cheaper then the CNC right now but for total cost i can buy a procharger tuner kit and have 1 of 2 buddy tune it for free.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
5.0 wins vs the new camaro in every way. To compare to 4th gen Fbodys really isnt realistic as the mods are endless. They are just tapping into the coyote motor and its crazy.

Brenspeed did a vortech kit with 8psi, made over 600whp with just an exhaust. Show me an LS1 that does that.
I don't think an ls1 could do more then 500rwhp max, but as stated its a lot older.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Good stuff,dayton is a cruise for me but if we can get together at a good time like on a weekend that would be cool.ill try and round up some more guys together the more the merrier lol
Hell ya..I dont have no one in Ohio with fast cars. I sure can try find some. I know one guy two guys on modularfords are from there but both have crazy **** done already. I know one makes 700whp. Other not sure on whp but his best is a 9.4 so far with SC and Spray.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im talking to a guy from Revolution Automotive in MD he said he gained 30whp down low and then it grew to 45whp once he installed the boss. He is one that went 10.7s with bolt ons and ported heads. He thinks now he can get low 10s out car.

Only thing i am looking at is he says they will fit with stock heads. Ford and bunch others say they will not with out a CNC job. Yes i can order Boss heads cheaper then the CNC right now but for total cost i can buy a procharger tuner kit and have 1 of 2 buddy tune it for free.
hmmm so you could see 500 rwhp with the boss cams and a cnc port job?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

hmmm so you could see 500 rwhp with the boss cams and a cnc port job?
JPC already seen 507whp with ported stock heads/reground factory cams. plus bolt ons. So yes very possible.

Here what they had.

The 2011 Mustang made 507.7 HP see dyno sheet that we attached!!!

JPC CNC heads
JPC cams
...Boss 302 Intake FRPP
JPC long tube headers and off-road X
Bassani Race mufflers
JLT CAI
Diablo Custom JPC Tune

Made 480 rwhp Stock Intake
Boss intake 507 rwhp

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...-507.7-rwhp-NA!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think an ls1 could do more then 500rwhp max, but as stated its a lot older.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI73M1yPdFU

I haven't done any hardcore research, but this is one that I know of lol

Last edited by RikkiTorment; 05-05-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

JPC already seen 507whp with ported stock heads/reground factory cams. plus bolt ons. So yes very possible.

Here what they had.

JPC CNC heads
JPC cams
...Boss 302 Intake FRPP
Bassani Race mufflers
JLT CAI
Diablo Custom JPC Tune

Boss intake 507 rwhp

I just want to say, you've been all over these 5.0 threads braggin and **** all week long.. I could understand how it's amazing to see a 500+rwhp N/A Mustang motor, truly a rare sight... But LS3s have been over 500rwhp for awhile with heads and cam, let alone LS7s. Or anything custom like iron block with heads.... Stop praising the new motor. Praise the Mustang's light weight, because the Camaro sure can't claim that spotlight.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here what they had.

JPC CNC heads
JPC cams
...Boss 302 Intake FRPP
Bassani Race mufflers
JLT CAI
Diablo Custom JPC Tune

Boss intake 507 rwhp

Did that car ever make it to another dyno? Or more importantly a track?

That setup was impressive, especially being the first H/C/I 5.0. The thing is though, it almost had to make those numbers, if you get what I'm saying. Sub-500 numbers would have been a huge letdown to the Coyote community, and seen as another DOHC stang that puts up meager N/A numbers, even with cams. Cams could have been quite large, dyno could have been tweaked to make sure it put out a high #, or it could be a great combo legitimate (most likely option). One way or another, it was hitting 500+rwhp.

I'm not saying the numbers are BS, I just want to see the cams specs and I'd love to see more H/C/I setups as they get more common, just to see if the numbers are replicated or out down time and time again. Same thing I said when 500+ LS3 numbers started popping up.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick

That setup was impressive, especially being the first H/C/I 5.0. The thing is though, it almost had to make those numbers, if you get what I'm saying. Sub-500 numbers would have been a huge letdown to the Coyote community, and seen as another DOHC stang that puts up meager N/A numbers, even with cams. Cams could have been quite large, dyno could have been tweaked to make sure it put out a high #, or it could be a great combo legitimate (most likely option). One way or another, it was hitting 500+rwhp.
The bolded part. I sorta disagree because it's only been a year or so since they have hit the streets, but I can see what you mean when you take into consideration that they make 412 at the flywheel. I just think in the big pic, as in 5 liters making 500 n/a hp is impressive. At the same time, if I spend the $$$$$ on heads/cam/intake and only get something like 20hp I'd be kicking the cat.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not saying the numbers are BS, I just want to see the cams specs and I'd love to see more H/C/I setups as they get more common, just to see if the numbers are replicated or out down time and time again. Same thing I said when 500+ LS3 numbers started popping up.
Originally Posted by HoLLo
I just want to say, you've been all over these 5.0 threads braggin and **** all week long.. I could understand how it's amazing to see a 500+rwhp N/A Mustang motor, truly a rare sight... But LS3s have been over 500rwhp for awhile with heads and cam, let alone LS7s. Or anything custom like iron block with heads.... Stop praising the new motor. Praise the Mustang's light weight, because the Camaro sure can't claim that spotlight.
See again some one ask question i show proof. The motor has been out a year. Also these cams JPC used are reground factory cams. I know people are testing the comp cams right now and have said they are going over 500 easy.

DOnt remember if they ever took to track. I know now the car has a Paxton supercharger makes 800whp on stock block and some how stock tranny.

Also in regards to over 500whp ford has engines you can order that will do that also N/A. The 521 crate engine will do it pretty easy.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 05-06-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

I know they have a bunch of 9 sec passes. Not sure there weight either. But honestly i dont see it holding to long at this power level with out upgrading some internals. The crank is forged but not pistons and rods.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Not too long ago a guy with a 4.6 DOHC went over 500rwhp. There are quite a few stroker or big bore 4.6 to 5.0 Stangs running in the 500s and I know of one 5.4L over 600. It's just nice to see people making N/A Ford DOHC motors. It just costs so damn much more to make good power N/A than spending less and making more power with a supercharger. And I think the thing most of us Ford guys are happy with is that we are making comparable power with less displacement. I'm glad that LS3s are making over 500 with 6.2 liters, because if they weren't that would be a damn shame.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
The bolded part. I sorta disagree because it's only been a year or so since they have hit the streets, but I can see what you mean when you take into consideration that they make 412 at the flywheel. I just think in the big pic, as in 5 liters making 500 n/a hp is impressive. At the same time, if I spend the $$$$$ on heads/cam/intake and only get something like 20hp I'd be kicking the cat.
I'd like to start by saying, 500rwhp from a 5L N/A is impressive for what it is. (I think they are a tad underrated from the factory, but I also heard that the way they rate stock hp changed.)

What you really have to keep in mind is the crazy bolt-on numbers that 5.0s are putting down. I'm sorry, but some of the numbers these bolt-on cars are putting down are just a little on the high side in my opinion. Part of the deal is those cars some tuned for 87 so of course a 93 tune is going to net gobs of power. LS3s would be the same way if they came tuned for 87 (see L76 tune gains, same deal as 5.0s). With such an exciting new product, shops are going to try to get every last penny and customer they can, thus providing motive to tweak your dyno to read that ~10hp more than the shop down the street. I'm not saying all the claims are BS, just some do. ~430-440 is about what I'd expect. I'm sure there will be some to claim 470+ from bolt-ons.

Anyways, back to the point. Starting with such high bolt-on numbers, the cams don't really have to gain much to hit 500. Say 440 for bolt-on numbers. To hit 500, you only need 60hp. That's like a bolt-on LS1 making 350 and getting 410hp from a H/C/I setup. Not terrible but not that grade, but also not apples to apples since the (lack of) displacement really shows it's head there. I have sneaking suspicion that the 507rwhp cams were on the aggressive side. Oh well, we'll see. That said, I won't be surprised when bigger numbers come out, just going to need all that rpm to make the big number.

I would kill for an LS3 to put in a 4th gen F-bomb. Make it a very aggresive street setup and set out to show what the motor can do in a car that isn't on a diet solely consisting of donuts and ice cream.

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
I'm glad that LS3s are making over 500 with 6.2 liters, because if they weren't that would be a damn shame.
There are plenty of cammed LS3s, some with ported heads and such, not even making near 500rwhp. That being said, obviously there will be a good amount of Coyotes under 500 as well, but plenty above as well. As with any platform, there is everything from very conservative to mild to very aggressive.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

There are plenty of cammed LS3s, some with ported heads and such, not even making near 500rwhp. That being said, obviously there will be a good amount of Coyotes under 500 as well, but plenty above as well. As with any platform, there is everything from very conservative to mild to very aggressive.
There are also plenty of H/C LS3's making over 500whp. That's too easy to do with enough mulah. For some reason I don't think there will be as many 5.0's making those kinds of numbers. Not because they can't but because 1)Its going to be very expensive and 2)Forced induction numbers are so impressive most guys are going to go straight for FI as opposed to building a high dollar, torqueless N/A setup. I mean 580whp with only 8psi! Why even waste your time with all motor.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
There are also plenty of H/C LS3's making over 500whp. That's too easy to do with enough mulah. For some reason I don't think there will be as many 5.0's making those kinds of numbers. Not because they can't but because 1)Its going to be very expensive and 2)Forced induction numbers are so impressive most guys are going to go straight for FI as opposed to building a high dollar, torqueless N/A setup. I mean 580whp with only 8psi! Why even waste your time with all motor.
+1. Cams ALONE for DOHC cars are $1200 and that's not including springs, retainers ect. By the time you're done pricing just the parts you're almost half way to a FI setup. Throw in labor and you're pretty close.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS1 market is not an expanding market, it is sad to say a declining market. The performance part companies using the technology today (opposed to 15 years ago) I'm 99.99% sure could squeeze more than 500rwhp out of an LS1. But that would be if they felt like taking the hit by researching and producing parts for a market that is not growing.

I hope that makes sense lol

Quick Reply: Stock WS6 vs Brand new 5.0