Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Couple races and then home on a flatbed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple races and then home on a flatbed.

Ended up being a good night, with quite a few cars out.

On the way up to meet people, PSM and I pulled into a gas station to wait for QuasarZ28 and as we pulled back out, a blue Dodge Stealth or Mitsubishi 3000GT with exhaust drove by (I thought it was a Stealth, but the guy called it a VR4). We were next to each other, slowing down for a light and I wasn't sure if he was interested, but when the light turned green (before we stopped) he punched it through a couple gears. He slowed again and we got next to each other, same scenerio, the light was red and we were rolling up to it in 1st gear. This time as soon as he punched it I stood on and ran through 1st and 2nd gear, pulling quite a bit on him before shutting down.

He got next to me and put both arms out the window, clapping and yelling, "nice car!". I thanked him and asked him what was done to his car. He said that it had a boost leak and he was waiting for parts He then asked me if I had a P1 blower on mine and when I said no, it was a heads and cam car, and he looked at me like I had just spoken in a strange language, lol. Later on he told QuasarZ28 that it was all stock, but it had at least exhaust and it seemed to move out well, so I think he was just disappointed with the result of the race. Never got him to pull over to talk, so I don't really know what was done to it.

Later on, after we all hung out a while, I called my buddy to see if his friend wanted to line up with me in his 1978 Malibu. The car has a cammed LS2 and a 6-speed swapped in. Very clean car:

My car is a 2002 Z28, 6-speed, heads/cam/intake:

I asked him where a good spot to start was for him traction-wise, and he said, why don't we do a 45 mph roll in 2nd, which was cool with me. I had one passenger and he was alone in his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pfj18BKzS4

After the race we spun around and NightmareTA asked him if he wanted to run again, but he yelled, "my hood flew off!" When we got to a parking lot, here's what the damage looked like:

Very not cool. The paint is nice on this car and now he's gotta get another hood painted up for it.

After that, a guy I know wanted to line up with the 2001 Camaro SS, 6-speed, that he just picked up. It's a beautiful car, but it's all stock. He knew he was gonna be alot slower, but he just wants to get runs in with it. We were slowing for a car in front to get out ahead and he started honking it off before I downshifted. He ended up getting a jump, but it was a fun race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcPAAdQNlD0

We spun around to try and get another run. We lined up in 1st gear and I honked it off, but when I put my foot down the car just made a POOF noise and shut off. I figured it wouldn't be good, and it turns out the timing chain snapped. Could be not too bad or it could be a big hassle to fix depending on whether or not a piston made contact with a valve. A new timing set has been ordered so I'll keep you guys updated.

Not the best ending to the night, but it was fun while it lasted

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 05-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Nice races! Sorry to hear about the timing chain though.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Beautiful runs. I think your being alittle modest, your Z reeled him in almost effortlessly. What RPM are you shifting at, cuz it comes on like a freight train just before shifting to the next gear. Looks like a true powerhouse. What does it run on a good night?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks guys!

I usually shift to 2nd when the stock tach reads 6K because it seems to read really slow in 1st. After that I shift when it reads 6500.

Not sure what it runs right now, but last year I went 11.63 @ 119.7 mph. I made a few changes and picked up some power over last year, but last week I put a nitrous tune in it and haven't dynoed since, so I'm not sure.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Nitrous tune? Are you planning to squeeze the motor on a little shot or go for the 9's with a huge dose of juice? Judging by the way it runs now, all challengers better bring a big stick to hang or an equally big check book to pay for the *** beatings your passing out. LOL. Hope your motor isn't hurt to badly.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Man your car has just gotten nasty lately!

Sorry to hear about the car but its not that bad.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
Nitrous tune? Are you planning to squeeze the motor on a little shot or go for the 9's with a huge dose of juice? Judging by the way it runs now, all challengers better bring a big stick to hang or an equally big check book to pay for the *** beatings your passing out. LOL. Hope your motor isn't hurt to badly.
Just a little dry shot for now. At the rate I'm going I'll never be able to use it because it's breaking so often

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Man your car has just gotten nasty lately!

Sorry to hear about the car but its not that bad.
Thanks, I'll let you know the extent of the damage as I find out. I'm thinking about a bigger cam since there's no extra work involved.

Btw, what the hell is going on in your avatar?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Btw, what the hell is going on in your avatar?
It's your brother
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nitrous tune!? is there something you're not telling me?? u got the juice hooked back up??
Old 05-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
It's your brother
News to me

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
nitrous tune!? is there something you're not telling me?? u got the juice hooked back up??
There may or may not have been an all night thrash last week in which a nitrous kit install was completed at 6 in the morning
Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The malibu did pretty good and looks good. Nice kill
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM

That thing cranks out. I think he said it dynoed 405 rwhp (it's also tuned for nitrous), but it has a decent weight advantage on me.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that's a shitty way to end the night, sorry to hear about that. What TC did you have on there? Hopefully this is the end of the issues with this car, I want to see it in action all summer damnit!

I'm thinking about a bigger cam since there's no extra work involved.
DO IT.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

x2, what chain?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 PM

I think it was just a stock timing set on the car, but I honestly don't remember 100% (I did the cam 5 years ago). I'm actually suprised it lasted this long considering all the abuse it took. I'll look through my paperwork on the car and see if I wrote it down when I did the swap.

Thinking about the VRX5 cam...
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is one of the best SRK posts I've ever seen. Short but accurate stories, accompanied by good video/pictures, proper grammar and no BS. Good races and post, man...
Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 AM
9 Second Club

Nice kill! Honestly I thought the Malibu would have been a closer race due to the weight advantage and more cubes.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 AM

Thanks guy, much appreciated!

I wasn't sure what to think with the Malibu before the race. I knew the car was lighter, but he's also a little down on power compared to mine, according to what the owner said. I'm also not sure how well he was driving and it's possible that on a better run he would have pulled out the win. I really wanted to get another race or two in, but given the circumstances it wasn't possible.

One thing I've learned from past experiences is that one race does not definitively show how two cars match up.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was just a stock timing set on the car, but I honestly don't remember 100% (I did the cam 5 years ago). I'm actually suprised it lasted this long considering all the abuse it took. I'll look through my paperwork on the car and see if I wrote it down when I did the swap.

Thinking about the VRX5 cam...
I have that cam in my gto and I like it. It has a broad powerband
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Wow i love that malibu!