Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a 2011 5.0 tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice run. I see your car all the time. We need to run em (seriously). I couldnt tell is that 5.0 white?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bjamick
What mph roll was that? Looked kinda low. My dad just installed the lightweight driveshaft and he said he noticed a big defference in low end.
Nobody ever reads the posts... lol.. It was a 30 roll from 1st gear.

Originally Posted by SStheBest
Nice run. I see your car all the time. We need to run em (seriously). I couldnt tell is that 5.0 white?
Is yours the red one I see on base every now and then? Looks sweet, but I'll get dusted by your car lol.. And yes the 5.0 is white.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

I did a highway run with a friend of mine. Mods in sig but this time I was running 93 octane and the stock 99 LS1 intake/injectors. His car is a 2012 5.0 premium with 3.73's and he's a hell of a driver. I get him by about a fender from a 50ish roll, full weight vert with my 320lb *** in it. Going to redo the race, he just got an intake and tune and I just cleaned up my tune a bit as well... we'll see.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
Nice Kill OP and SICK ws6. Judging by that video even a tune and bolt ons wont gain him those car lengths back its just to many. But Ill wait for the ford guys to come in and say what could have happen to the low 12 second bone stock car

I predict 5 pages by monday afternoon

I called it
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
I called it
Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Competition is good; keep on hating
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Nobody ever reads the posts... lol.. It was a 30 roll from 1st gear.

Is yours the red one I see on base every now and then? Looks sweet, but I'll get dusted by your car lol.. And yes the 5.0 is white.
Lol i know your not talkin about the "rice" vette, the one with the shark body kit? IF that is the one you are speaking of, that is my buddy alex. He WAS H/C but his motor just recently was pulled and preparing for boost. Im the silver one. Hey you never know till you try. You should venture out on friday n saturday. Just dont get envolved with the rice rocket crowd and just chill. Maybe we can get some friendly runs in. I also wanted to run that 5.0 last week but he didnt seem too interested so i didnt ask.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SStheBest
Lol i know your not talkin about the "rice" vette, the one with the shark body kit? IF that is the one you are speaking of, that is my buddy alex. He WAS H/C but his motor just recently was pulled and preparing for boost. Im the silver one. Hey you never know till you try. You should venture out on friday n saturday. Just dont get envolved with the rice rocket crowd and just chill. Maybe we can get some friendly runs in. I also wanted to run that 5.0 last week but he didnt seem too interested so i didnt ask.
I actually just saw you just night pulling out of the fire dept area. I was in the little Polaris Ranger that flashed my lights at you to pull out .. Car sounded good!

I used to come out all the time, but got fed up with all the kids and their stupid ****. I only went out last weekend because me and my buddy just wanted to kick a couple runs off. First time I was out since last summer.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Launching!

that was some ownage hollo. i saw one on the freeway a few weeks ago but i had a spare on so im not that dumb.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

come to my area there is lots of cobra people bragging how there cars are the best, when i raced one and only lost by one car when my z28 is all stock except a muffler. hung door to door with this cobra till he hit 4th gear then he pulled
Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Default CAI + tune explained

On the Mustangs, the MAF sensor is at the end of the "air tube" that goes to the TB. It measures air velocity thru it's area and the computer calculates how much air goes thru knowing the cross section of tube.
Simply put, velocity X cross section = however many CFM of air that goes thru.
If you enlarge the "tube", given the same velocity, you get more CFM.
Because the MAF sensor is reused and remains the same size, the computer needs to know the size of the "tube", if it is different from OEM to calculate CFMs.
That's what the tune is for, to tyell the ECU what size the "tube" is.

You can see that the aftermarket CAI on the right will flow more, given the same air velocity thru the sensor.

Hope it all makes sense. . .
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess that makes sense, just a weird way of doing it. Problem solved if the MAF was right in front of the throttle body.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I guess some engineer somewhere thought it was a good idea.
They did good with the distributor at the front on old pushrod motors, they may have dropped the ball on this one. . .Bottom line, it works, just needs more attention.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ALGX
On the Mustangs, the MAF sensor is at the end of the "air tube" that goes to the TB. It measures air velocity thru it's area and the computer calculates how much air goes thru knowing the cross section of tube.
Simply put, velocity X cross section = however many CFM of air that goes thru.
If you enlarge the "tube", given the same velocity, you get more CFM.
Because the MAF sensor is reused and remains the same size, the computer needs to know the size of the "tube", if it is different from OEM to calculate CFMs.
That's what the tune is for, to tyell the ECU what size the "tube" is.

You can see that the aftermarket CAI on the right will flow more, given the same air velocity thru the sensor.

Hope it all makes sense. . .
TY sir.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Glad I could help.
I knew those advanced MS Paint classes would come in handy one day. . .

Quick Reply: Ran a 2011 5.0 tonight.