Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got killed stories

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I got killed stories

I was thinking "Hmmm, there are an awful lot of 'I raced an F15 and won' " stories out there. What about stories where people got spanked? Maybe, just maybe, we could learn something from them (or at least be entertained). Here's a couple of skeletons from my closest:

It's a couple of years ago, and I'm driving a 2004 G35. Decent car, but not very subtle off the line. You can't gently go from a stop without really thinking about it (which might be the reason why so many non-racer G35 owners think they're fast). It fits my driving profile well.

Anyway, I'm driving home after work, in an industrial park area. After maneuvering around slower traffic, I find myself in the right lane at a red light, lined up next to a 3rd gen Camaro RS in the left lane. As I'm sizing him up, a 90s Impala SS rolls up in the turn lane, apparently ready to go left. No biggie. Background noise, right?

The road we're on necks down to 1 lane roughly 300 yards past the intersection. The radar detector is quiet. So, I figured I would do my usual bit, leave the line hard and get ahead. Everyone tends to drive slow on the road ahead and I'm impatient. I brake rev a little as the cross light turns yellow, then red.

I took the Camaro easily off the line, but the Impala f***ing KILLED both of us. I heard this noise like Godzilla woke up, and saw daylight under his front tires. He was across the intersection before either of us mere mortals fully crossed the white line. Talk about humbling. **

Next race (actually older, chronologically):

It's 1994 and I just got a new Dodge Ram. It's first year of the newer, less boxy style. The truck has a 5.9 under the hood, is 2WD, with a diff geared for towing. I've already surprised quite a few cars off the line, so I think I'm hot ****. The situation is similar to the above one, only I'm lined up against this old (like 80s or 90s old) guy in a new Seville STS.

Ok, no prob. Jam the gas on green and get ahead, right? Nope. That old dude stomped me like a bug. He had two lengths on me by the time the road narrowed, and didn't even look back. I'm pretty he sure he was laughing his *** off too (probably while wife cursed him out).

** the G35 has sinced morphed into a 2009 G8, which has much better manners off the line, and is faster in angry mode. My wife hates it :-)

Last edited by 1981TA; 05-14-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a 3 way drag race with a Bugatti and a turbo McLaren F1. I had both of them outta the hole but they started creeping back after 100. I looked down at about 150 and then over... they were both ahead by less than a car! I lost but it was a crazy race!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

These threads pop up every now and then.

Might be interesting to hear what stories people have to tell.

I don't have any personally. Because I'm unbeatable and all.
(Hard to lose when you currently have nothing worth racing.)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
(Hard to lose when you currently have nothing worth racing.)
Then fix that issue.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right after i got my GTO I put the standard boltons on it: LT headers, catback, custom predator tune, vavaram, trans ecu, sticky tires. Affectively full boltons for a GTO. Got into a argument with a guy on lsxnation with a full bolton WS6 about how he walks any and all bolton GTO's.
'
Well, having beat a couple bolton LS1 fbodies from the same site, I opened my mouth. Alot.

Ended up meeting up and racing multiple times. Cool guy btw. As you can guess, I lost every roll race we did, from every mph to way over 100mph. He always slowwwly pulled away after 80mph to a 1/2 to 1 car lead. It was humbling to say the least! And we ran from every speed either of us could think of that would benefit my auto. no dead spot runs.

I was spitting crow feathers out of my mouth for a couple weeks at least. Learned a good lesson though! More mods followed.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

I ran into an Amg mercedes four door 6.2 liter not sure about mods or car itself seeing as I'm not a mercedes expert but it was louder than any other mercedes I have come across. Minding my own on the freeway stuck behind an average commuter I was about to switch lanes when the mercedes rolls up next to me ,and then floors it and takes off like a rocket.I switched lanes to try and catch up,he slows down as I started getting closer and floors it again when I'm a couple car lengths back and proceeded to put bus lengths on me,this happened a couple more times and I figured screw it not gettin a fair race and either way that car is going to run away from me any ways so I left it at that. That was before I put the Fast toys ramair kit, longtubes, gears and trutrac posi in.honestly with my new setup I probably still wouldn't stand a chance that thing was not your normal four door to say the least.Guessing there is some sort of forced induction under the hood.I have lost races before but never had a car run away from me that bad and I was a little sad to say the least!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Back when I had my 95 bird two of my friends and I were cruising down the road when I decided to follow this silver 3V stang. I pulled up next to him and was just cruising when my buddy said the guy in the stang looked over and smiled. We were doing about 55 when I hit the gas and jumped out on him and he reeled me in at about 95 and just started walkin away. I saw him a couple weeks later and asked what he had done and he said "Everything you can do except for a blower, only thing I didn't hit you with was my nitrous" Good reason as to why I lost haha my mods were a flowmaster muffler and two friends in the car. Freakin mustangs
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I had my G8 basically full bolt ons no stall before spray. Cruising around just raced a C5 vet(vet was bone stock he lives 3 houses down from me). Beat him and feeling good. So anyway see a 00-02 Camaro Z28. Noticed exhuast was dumped with turn downs before axles. Figured hey this guy will play. SO we play around for few. They guy rolls down window and says hey follow me we go out to so and so road and run. He had his GF with him. I am like cool.

So we get out there first from a 25 roll. We both nail and he easily pulls a car and still pulling hard on me. My car was load. But his was way loader. Next race 50 roll. Same thing. By 85ish he is least 2 cars out. Next we run from a dig. ON the 3rd honk i jump a easy car in front. But by 30 he is right next to me and pulling hard. By 100 he is least 4 cars on me.

We stop and talk. I tell him what my car has done to it. That right now i made 370whp. Well i find out he has biggest cam he can fit in a LS2. Ported polished aftermarket heads, and a 4400 stall. Only reason he didn't nail it off the line was cause he gets no traction on the street with the 275 drag radials. His last dyno was was around 450whp. Said he turned around to come back to me after seeing me and the vette. Cool dude though. But man i got my *** kicked.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 05-15-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Was it a ls2 engine as well in that Z28?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

ohioborn,I think you meant to say your car is loud and his car is louder or his car is really heavy!lol no harm intended !
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ju1ce, did you at least hit the nozzzz?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Lost a brief line-up to an 850 hp vette. Bastard pulled me like I dropped an anchor - wasn't pretty.

I've lost to a few liter bikes as well, and a turbo-charged crotch rocket. I've had a couple people claim they've killed me being I always get out of it at ~130 (top of 4th). I guess getting walked from 65 mph to 130 mph isn't important as long as you sail by the guy while he is on his brakes.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by NoGo
I've had a couple people claim they've killed me being I always get out of it at ~130 (top of 4th). I guess getting walked from 65 mph to 130 mph isn't important as long as you sail by the guy while he is on his brakes.
I always think it's funny that people get pulled like they are tied to a tree and then think they suddenly yank back hard on the car, instead of realizing that the other guy let off. I guess they have to do anything to convince themselves that they didn't lose
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I always think it's funny that people get pulled like they are tied to a tree and then think they suddenly yank back hard on the car, instead of realizing that the other guy let off. I guess they have to do anything to convince themselves that they didn't lose
The worst was a 300z on I90 east - stock I'm guessing. We both hit it and the guy drops back pretty quickly. I got up to 130 then braked. I had braked all the way down back to 75 and was just putting the car back into 6th when this guy goes by at 100+. I move over to take my exit that was coming up and this guy pulls up next to me and yells out his window "I got you! I got you!" amongst some other stuff I couldn't make out. I just gave a thumbs up and took the exit.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by NoGo
...this guy pulls up next to me and yells out his window "I got you! I got you!" amongst some other stuff I couldn't make out.
That's priceless!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in school at my union hall when my Tex her comes in and asked who's trans am is outside. I of course say mine and he tells me that his c5 will walk my ***. I of course say after class on the way home we're gonna race. I was bone stock and I knew I was gonna lose but I was on the spot. Well we raced and he put a freight train on me! So then he brought his car for the rest of the year and anytime I talked about my car he just laughed. Now I don't think it'll be a freight train.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
ohioborn,I think you meant to say your car is loud and his car is louder or his car is really heavy!lol no harm intended !
Ya mine was loud his was way louder..

my G8..Its dirty in video i know..But I heard his over mine easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oln0PkUtIps

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Was it a ls2 engine as well in that Z28?
Yes it was a LS2..It was nice I will say that..Ran really well. He is form Abilene TX..Was down my way for work..Air Force.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

back in like '92? coming out of a toll plaza on the GSP (when you actually had to throw a $.25 into the basket) i was driving this '84 3.73 LG4 auto Z28

i thought i was hot **** next to a black 3000GT so i hit it and so did he.. it was ugly, real ugly. i didn't realize it was twin turbo lol.. he was G-O-N-E like the wind had to be 2-3bus lengths by 100 lol..

not soon after i traded it to a friend for an '86GT 5spd and put in a '91 (don't ask where it came from) drivetrain and interior engine had ported heads/intake and B303 and 4.10's. added a 100 shot to it and didn't get beat much again for a while in the street. that F**** 3000GT cost me ALOT OF $$$$$$$$
Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

That g8 sounds pretty nasty.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

My worst raping came at the hands of an LS1 RX-7 and a supercharged LS1 Z28 a few months back in DFW... Front wheels lifted on the RX-7 and they both left me like I slammed on the brakes, yoked the wheel and punched it heading the opposite direction! I cried! lol