Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobalt SS vs MKIV Supra & 335i

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cobalt SS vs MKIV Supra & 335i

Supra

Was headed home from the gym(so cliche.. I know..), getting ready to turn right and the light had just turned yellow as a beautiful wingless, red MKIV Supra, with gold rims was aggressively braking to stop. I thought "Damn, not gonna get a chance to lose, oh well!" Turns out, the dude was heading in my direction as he aggressively got in behind me to get onto the on-ramp to the hwy. The on-ramp is a two lane road that eventually merges but is rather long.

As we turn onto the on-ramp, the passenger in the Supra waves me on. Sooo I got about 4 car lengths ahead, stayed in 2nd gear and watched in my side mirror for some kind of indicator. Sure enough, his front end lifted and I went WOT, spinning... which allowed him to gain back two cars, quickly. Hit 3rd nicely and was trucking along as the Supra slowly crept up to my door. By the top of 3rd we were door and door, until I NLS into 4th and barely nose ahead and the Supra shuts her down, just before the lane merges.

Right after I had slowed down, the Supra got beside me and both guys were looking at my car like "WTF?". Neither said a word but I waved and smiled. Found out after the race from talking with a buddy that it's a full bolt on (BPU) auto. I will definitely acknowledge that had we have started off even, he would have walked away from me by a good 3+ car lengths.

Cliff notes: Auto, wingless, BPU Supra gets a bit cocky and is unable to make up the distance. Unassuming 4 door prevails.

335i

Coming home from the gym (How ironic, another encounter after the gym...) and headed to my moms house to meet up with my wife and daughter. As I come to a light, I see some pretty intense HIDs coming up on my left side. I figured it was going to be some base level BMW or Merc due to the area I was in. At a quick glance, it was a good looking silver BMW. Light turns green and the BMW takes off pretty aggressively and definitely got my attention as I see the 335i badge

Luckily for me, there was a car ahead of the BMW that was getting into a turning lane, which allowed me to stay in 2nd gear and get along side of him. Soon as I did, he went WOT and I quickly followed suit. Hooked really well in 2nd, surprisingly and we were door to door with me getting ready to pull away. Went for a quick 2-3 NLS to seal the deal and missed it This caused me to drop back to his bumper but I quickly recovered. Gained back my car length and proceeded to pull another 1/4 car. NLS into 4th and continue to pull another 2-3 cars, until we had to shut down due to traffic in his lane, coming up fast!

We come to the next light and he's in the left turning lane and I'm in the middle lane. I roll down my window as does he and the first thing he asked me was "Is that the supercharged one?" I told him no sir, it's the turbocharged model. Told him I was getting ready to come around him until I missed 3rd. He was completely flabbergasted because he looked at me funny and said "Wow man, that's nice". I asked him if he was stock and he said "No, it's got intake(s) and tuned". I told him that I was also tuned and held up my laptop. I then proceeded to complement him and told him "Even if I have the faster car, yours is MUCH nicer." I think he was still a bit shocked because he repeated himself and said "Dude, wow. That's a really nice car". Told him to have a good night and continued to moms.

Cliff notes: Intake and Tuned 335i goes down to the unassuming 4 door from 40-125ish by about 3 cars. SS misses 3rd but quickly recovers.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

mods?

me and my buddy have a sweet vid of my ss vs his bimmer on here

suprised u pulled AND missed yer nls.
we ran neck and neck, if i missed it, he wulda pulled away and stayed.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Impressive. Buddies 335i with tune, intake and cat back runs 12.0-12.2's.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, nice runs! Your car seems to be pretty strong. I still haven't run into one on the street yet, but I'm not sure I want to. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hugger1975
mods?

I think I might make just a bit more power than you Yea I saw that video, was pretty sweet. My "mods" are 3 BAR map sensors, my own HP tuning and 1:1 E85/87 octane or E48. I make as much and some times more than full bolt on cars (through the curve and peak) that run on 93 octane. 311/360 SAE and 322/378 STD.

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Impressive. Buddies 335i with tune, intake and cat back runs 12.0-12.2's.
Thanks man. I'm sure from a dig the outcome would have been drastically different. FWD, street tires almost at the wear indicators and massive torque = spin city without a decently prepped track.

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
Wow, nice runs! Your car seems to be pretty strong. I still haven't run into one on the street yet, but I'm not sure I want to. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate it bud, thanks for the compliments. My car is a bit different than most turbo Cobalts due to running 1:1 E/Gas. A handful of people and myself were the first to test and document using E85 blending in the LNF. I'm sure there were others but who knows. Definitely don't underestimate us
Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

whoa........nice set up

i should give u my new license plates

Last edited by hugger1975; 05-28-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kills. Im really liking the turbo balts.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These cobalts have always interested me and I really find the 4-door models like yours with the turbocharger ideal for what I would love to have in a commuter car. 300fwhp+....? Check. 30mpg highway....? Check. Beating BMW owner's on the way to mama's house...? Priceless.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good runs OP, do you know if he was 6 speed or automatic? What that owner was saying is damn near the same thing I said the first time I ran a tuned balt.

mods?

Yup, was definitely surprised at how well those balt roll. Screw warranty, go e85 and tune with HP tuners and call that a day.

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
These cobalts have always interested me and I really find the 4-door models like yours with the turbocharger ideal for what I would love to have in a commuter car. 300fwhp+....? Check. 30mpg highway....? Check. Beating BMW owner's on the way to mama's house...? Priceless.
That made me laugh. The sick thing about those cars as DD is that it doesn't take a whole lot to make them deceptively quick. Tune and a couple bolt ons is all you need for a good dd that can run with the pony cars (from a roll anyways).
Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T.Man
massive torque
you just say massive torque? just messin with ya.

nice kills. I'm gonna line up with hugger and willizm (bmw) here sometime soon and see what happens. I like the cobalt SS and will be fun to see one run that is modded. I'm a diehard bowtie guy, so anything fast and GM is good in my book

might have to talk him into bringing out the camaro and doing a dig race
Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

whoa........nice set up

i should give u my new license plates
Hah, what's the new plate say? Thanks for the props bud. Hit me up when you're ready for that tune.

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Good kills. Im really liking the turbo balts.
Thanks bro. Seeing that beautiful GTO makes me miss mine. Great touring car!

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
That's great man, haha. Definitely priceless. Time to find one

Originally Posted by willizm
Good runs OP, do you know if he was 6 speed or automatic? What that owner was saying is damn near the same thing I said the first time I ran a tuned balt.
Dude was ripping through the gears! Definitely six speed.

Originally Posted by 1TFROT
you just say massive torque? just messin with ya.

nice kills. I'm gonna line up with hugger and willizm (bmw) here sometime soon and see what happens. I like the cobalt SS and will be fun to see one run that is modded. I'm a diehard bowtie guy, so anything fast and GM is good in my book

LOL. Massive torque for a little 2.0
Thanks man.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1TFROT

hmmmmmmm we need to do this soon

Originally Posted by T.Man
Hah, what's the new plate say? Thanks for the props bud. Hit me up when you're ready for that tune.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Teching In

awesome plate FTW!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

That plate is pretty slick
Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

thank you!

i wana send a message to more that i wana play
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm game tfrot and hugger. Will be getting a gopro soon
Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

woot!

we got a place to go?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

thank you!

i wana send a message to more that i wana play
Hah, I said the same thing to my wife. Asked her to talk to a friend of hers who owns a custom labeling company.

Want it to be large and be placed on my rear window that says "Think it's slow? "

My luck... I'm only going to instigate people that will either freight train me OR it will be a bunch of dumb ricers/young kids weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

that could happen.....but at least we wuld get more action then we get
Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

nice kills man

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS vs MKIV Supra & 335i