Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A different kind of race I suppose. SS Camaro vs 04 Subaru STI

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different kind of race I suppose. SS Camaro vs 04 Subaru STI

I didnt know whether to post in here or road race, but here I go. Promise this aint a b.s. thread.

Ok so last night me and this girl decided to make a cruise up the mountains bny my house. One of my favorite past times is hitting up mountain roads and canyons.

We are cruising along, im not pushing the car that hard around turns. So we pass a few of the local drift and canyon cars scene on a turn out. Eventually A 04 STI passes going the other way. Didnt think much about it until i saw him hit the brakes and turn around. thought to myself this guy cant be serious right, so i tell the girl to hold on.

The STI gets right on my ***, almost like **** you see in prison movies( creepy ****) so let the race begin. I drop to 3rd and begin punching it. Ive been wanting to get into road racing so i was practicing some braking techniques and cornering lines. To my surprise i was actually doing pretty well. The guy must not have been that experienced because every turn I would pull alittle ahead each time. That or he was taking the wrong line around corners and losing speed.

Well i eventually pull off at a turn out thinking he would aswell. He just hauls *** by me out of spite. later i would come across 13 cars pulled off the side of the road. And the STI did 4 seperate passes were i was parked.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

What suspension mods and power mods ya got? Seems he shoulda been gaining on u in turns and maybe losing you on straights. I'd count that as a kill!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Power mods: SLP air box lid, K&N air filter, magnaflow catback exhaust, Hurst Short throw shifter.

Suspension: I replaced the stock shocks and spring with Bilistein shocks and SLP performance springs. Running on Yokohama S-Drive tires
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I consider that a kill. I had a twisty road run w/ a 05-09 stang GT. I have SLP/bilstein shocks also along with susp. and power mods in sig. I was losing this guy from the word go he wound taking a turn way too fast and ran off the road. I stopped and ran up to him and he was scared shitless but him/car were ok. I'm not a road racer at all but it was fun. Keep it safe OP.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Definitely an interesting kill man. Not something you hear too much in here. Sounds like you did damn good against a car that was pretty much built for rally racing.
I always wanted to get more into that but really never did. Back in the late 90's I had Bertone X19 with a FIAT engine that I used to rally race. I did three races and then dropped it for 4-Wheeling with my lifted Jeep Wrangler.

Regarless man...nice kill man!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely counts as a kill, and would be a pretty interesting video as well (if there had been one).
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% on it counting as a kill. As a roadracer, I can attest to beating MANY, MANY cars and bikes (especially bikes) on road coarses and in the mountains where they had the supposedly better handling vehicle.

BTW: I also took out a Sti through two corners awhile back. He took a BAD line through a uphill double apex decreasing radius turn and put him into the ditch. That was right after my RE-01R install (autocross version of a drag radial). And did nearly the same thing a month later with a new lowered Civic Si on a hwy onramp.... he just drifted across my rear view mirror and onto the shoulder where he recovered. And I wasn't even hitting it hard as I was having fender rub issues.

^^^ Other then that, my old GTO doesn't have any roadracing kills worth mentioning. It's setup for the straight line.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

good kill! I hate racing other people in the twisties tho, I'm always worried they'll crash. I raced my buddies in their formy and 6.0 GTO on some seriously intense back roads I've raged hundreds of time. I left them both so far behind me and they both told me after wards that they both almost wiped out trying to keep up w/ me. woulda felt like **** if they did! I just like to get up at the crack of dawn and push the limits on my own in the twisties wish there was some AX action in my area
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
good kill! I hate racing other people in the twisties tho, I'm always worried they'll crash. I raced my buddies in their formy and 6.0 GTO on some seriously intense back roads I've raged hundreds of time. I left them both so far behind me and they both told me after wards that they both almost wiped out trying to keep up w/ me. woulda felt like **** if they did! I just like to get up at the crack of dawn and push the limits on my own in the twisties wish there was some AX action in my area
heh heh I'm with you on that, but I normally use my bike for the twisties. Used to use my '78 Z28 (well setup suspension/brakes did surprisingly well) but now all I got is my GTO which needs a handling based suspension and a 6spd to do any kind of respectable in the corners.

BTW: I lost count years ago, but I would have to put the number of sport bike riders who've I've had go down while either trying to stay ahead of me, or keep up with me, somewhere in the 200-300 range. No fatalities luckily. Really luckily actually considering the number of friends I've lost over the years. I'm now a expert funeral guest speaker.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

yea thanks I will, it was a different pace compared to the drag scene. Still need to do some suspension upgrades and even brakes would be nice aswell.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

i dont know if any of you have ever scene the movie GUMBALL RALLY, but there is a scene were Franco (Raul Julia) says "Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important. ".

And next time ill have the girl riding shotgun take a video, because it is worth going back up there very soon with upgraded sway bars and sub-frame connectors and finding Mr.STI for a second go around.

Also the section I was on didnt have very many blind corners so i made sure to utilize the full road, so swinging wide and cutting back in and taking the straightest line thru s-bends.

The girl got a kick out of it to which impressed the hell out of me.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
And next time ill have the girl riding shotgun take a video, because it is worth going back up there very soon with upgraded sway bars and sub-frame connectors and finding Mr.STI for a second go around.
Riverside eh? Here's a road that will get your adrenaline flowing every time you think about it:

Go up the 15, halfway up cajone pass to cahone junction (hwy 138). Go right. Drive 1 mile then start turning. 4 miles later, stop to let your brakes cool down from there white hot state and then stare at yourself in the rearview mirror: that same look was probably on the faces of the guys who hit Normandy Beach on D-Day. Give yourself a few minutes to cool down and then turn around: going back is a fair amount of downhill so remember not to overheat your brakes! And anything beyond 2nd gear is not necessary.

Trust me, I've raced mountains all over the west coast. That little section of road holds a revered spot in my memory. You can also follow it to the park and lake and have a picnic with your lady. Lake is probably 4 miles past the last twisty turn. Gotta pay ?$8? to enter, so you can stop at the scenic view overlooking the dam and lake instead. Try to resist the temptation to go wide the hell out on that flat as a board straightaway following the turns. Never seen a cop there yet, but it's where I would wait if I was them.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Riverside eh? Here's a road that will get your adrenaline flowing every time you think about it:

Go up the 15, halfway up cajone pass to cahone junction (hwy 138). Go right. Drive 1 mile then start turning. 4 miles later, stop to let your brakes cool down from there white hot state and then stare at yourself in the rearview mirror: that same look was probably on the faces of the guys who hit Normandy Beach on D-Day. Give yourself a few minutes to cool down and then turn around: going back is a fair amount of downhill so remember not to overheat your brakes! And anything beyond 2nd gear is not necessary.

Trust me, I've raced mountains all over the west coast. That little section of road holds a revered spot in my memory. You can also follow it to the park and lake and have a picnic with your lady. Lake is probably 4 miles past the last twisty turn. Gotta pay ?$8? to enter, so you can stop at the scenic view overlooking the dam and lake instead. Try to resist the temptation to go wide the hell out on that flat as a board straightaway following the turns. Never seen a cop there yet, but it's where I would wait if I was them.
Are you talking about Mockingbird caynon & the Road along Lake Matthews??? Cause then i would have to agree with you on favorite road spot.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
Are you talking about Mockingbird caynon & the Road along Lake Matthews??? Cause then i would have to agree with you on favorite road spot.
silverwood lake.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
silverwood lake.
I will have to check that out. Its been a long long time since ive been over there.