Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sw07gt
You mean everyone in drag racing? There's nothing wrong with using a torch.
There's a ton wrong with it. You're heating up a flammable gas that is only protected from direct flame by a thin piece of fiberglass/Carbon fiber. Mike the owner of Nitrous Express and I discussed this at length at the Texas Mile in March. He too called it stupid and a risk not worth taking. Screw a bunch of that, go Nano and don't worry about it.

Just because it's done by a bunch of folks doesn't mean it's intelligent. I mean a bunch of people voted for Obama for instance.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

hai guis
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 427zm
There's a ton wrong with it. You're heating up a flammable gas that is only protected from direct flame by a thin piece of fiberglass/Carbon fiber. Mike the owner of Nitrous Express and I discussed this at length at the Texas Mile in March. He too called it stupid and a risk not worth taking. Screw a bunch of that, go Nano and don't worry about it.

Just because it's done by a bunch of folks doesn't mean it's intelligent. I mean a bunch of people voted for Obama for instance.
It's certainly not the best way, it's way more ineffective than a blanket or hot water bath. Most guys just use torches for touch ups if the pressure has dropped in the lanes. Watch the pressure and keep the torch moving, Mac definitely doesn't need to be using a torch though. He'll be the guy that blows himself up.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Marc, get the hell out of the auditing side of your degrees. In the long run, you'll be much happier working in financing. Also, being an examiner is a terrible career. Lending and working in banking is much more rewarding than auditing or examining. Just my .02.
The idea with auditing/examining is to eventually go into internal audit for a bank or other financial institution. The other idea with examining would be moving directly into a higher level lending position out of the gate since with examining you closely look at loan portfolios and whatnot and then eventually move into a management role of some sort.

I've talked with my dad and his bosses regarding the banking stuff (dad is CFO and his bosses started the bank in the late 70s - very large Iowa bank) and they think examining would be a faster way to move up with a private bank since I am looking at the same financials in depth that upper level management does.

I also did not want to do investment banking because I value my time and life too much. The money is nice, but man would I hate that life.

I'll figure it out - thanks for the advice though.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sw07gt
You mean everyone in drag racing? There's nothing wrong with using a torch.
Are you serious? Sure.. maybe not in the short term.. but over time, the metal structure will weaken on the bottle... and POP. Not a good thing. Just because everyone does it, does not mean everyone is not an idiot. It means they obviously don't want to spend the money to properly warm a bottle.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poppacapp

Are you serious? Sure.. maybe not in the short term.. but over time, the metal structure will weaken on the bottle... and POP. Not a good thing. Just because everyone does it, does not mean everyone is not an idiot. It means they obviously don't want to spend the money to properly warm a bottle.
I learned that in my metallurgy class lol
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why must it take 2 people to change a belt on my dam car! this sucks, especially when all your friends are busy and your gf is to weak to hold the tensioner open lol
Old 05-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StealthFRC
why must it take 2 people to change a belt on my dam car! this sucks, especially when all your friends are busy and your gf is to weak to hold the tensioner open lol
What car do you have?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Speaking if nitrous.. I wonder if I could add a small 50-shot or something to my car.. hmmmm..
Old 05-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
So we later come to find out your score is ~790, which in comparison your plan is no better than mine.

Most banks only partially care about your FICO credit score anyway. Most of them like to use a different rating system that analyzes a healthy down payment, work history, and ability to repay (which encompasses many things). Your FICO score is only a chunk of that pie.

For future reference, I wouldn't try to act all high and mighty over everybody else and talk about debt when you still are under your daddy's roof. You remind me of the several **** ups from my high school who brag about their cars, clothes, etc., but then wonder why no girl finds them intriguing when they go over to mommy and daddy's house.

There are plenty of people in this forum who have a lot more than what their signature implies.

My bad dude, I'll try to quote him less.

Is it because he drives an LT1?
Lol, hell yes!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by snake95
I walk tomorrow for my Master's ceremony. It's crazy to think I'm done with institutionalized education. Have my fingers crossed for a better job this coming week, I've been through 4 levels of interviews with the firm. Find out Monday or Tuesday.
Good luck!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Sup bitches !
Old 05-10-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you get it routed correctly and slide it over the water pump? I have to do that since I've got a solid tensioner. It can be a one man job. May not be the easiest, but it can be done.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
The idea with auditing/examining is to eventually go into internal audit for a bank or other financial institution. The other idea with examining would be moving directly into a higher level lending position out of the gate since with examining you closely look at loan portfolios and whatnot and then eventually move into a management role of some sort.

I've talked with my dad and his bosses regarding the banking stuff (dad is CFO and his bosses started the bank in the late 70s - very large Iowa bank) and they think examining would be a faster way to move up with a private bank since I am looking at the same financials in depth that upper level management does.

I also did not want to do investment banking because I value my time and life too much. The money is nice, but man would I hate that life.

I'll figure it out - thanks for the advice though.
Good deal, I'm glad you're getting advice from a banker, and I mean real banker not investment banker hack. My father is also a banker, so I've heard more than I care about all the functions inside a bank.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by "MAC"
What car do you have?
corvette

Can you get it routed correctly and slide it over the water pump? I have to do that since I've got a solid tensioner. It can be a one man job. May not be the easiest, but it can be done.

not possible. remember im a blower car with a 10 rib and flip drive. i have a ecs bracket and there tensioner is insanely strong, i need a 3ft bar to hold it open.
the 10 rib belt BARELY fits between the steering rack and the crank pulley, also i need a super short belt that you need to strategically install otherwise it will not go on. i have to have someone hold the tensioner open while i lay under the car and get the belt around the crank, its a pain in the *** but it beats when i had the a&a setup, i had to remove the entire head unit and bracket to get a belt on.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Nitrous Oxide is non-flammable. Look it up.
Mike didn't even know that?
Inb4ignorance

Last edited by audacious nick; 05-10-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Banned

Lol damn stealthfrc good luck!
Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Nitrous Oxide is non-flammable. Look it up.
Mike didn't even know that?
Inb4ignorance
It oxygen rich, which when tied to an open flame (AKA torch heating up bottle) could cause a big kaboom. Mike was absolutely on this.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

corvette

not possible. remember im a blower car with a 10 rib and flip drive. i have a ecs bracket and there tensioner is insanely strong, i need a 3ft bar to hold it open.
the 10 rib belt BARELY fits between the steering rack and the crank pulley, also i need a super short belt that you need to strategically install otherwise it will not go on. i have to have someone hold the tensioner open while i lay under the car and get the belt around the crank, its a pain in the *** but it beats when i had the a&a setup, i had to remove the entire head unit and bracket to get a belt on.
Well, that stinks.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

It oxygen rich, which when tied to an open flame (AKA torch heating up bottle) could cause a big kaboom. Mike was absolutely on this.

Just an example of what I am talking about. And Oxygen by itself is not flammable either, it requires a fuel source to burn.

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)