Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by snake95
They found it on the dyno as the wheel was bouncing, and when I hit it hard and wrap it out I can feel a noticeable wobble. It's not violent, but since I have 2 spare axles in the shed, I figured I'd rather have a straight axle before I strap the Mickeys to it and launch at 4k at the strip.

Short answer: previous owner did not disclose this detail...literally was the only thing that could be fucked up as I bought it as a shell with the rear end being the only thing installed
ever sick..

oh well axles are easy to change anyway.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm about to pop my axle-changing cherry. The one thing I've never done...aside from a cam swap since I have a very close, very reasonable shop that builds race car motors.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm about to pop my axle-changing cherry. The one thing I've never done...aside from a cam swap since I have a very close, very reasonable shop that builds race car motors.
it's simple. you'll get it. hardest part of doing it on an older vehicle is getting the drums off because the pads are wore into them.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Good to know. The instructions I've read seem easy enough, I'd just hate to mess up anything in my rear, lol.

I'd like to right hook the previous owner since he literally sold me the shell and vanished into thin air...like promised me several other parts for our agreed upon price. I was paranoid for about 3-4 months after I bought it because of his behaviour (for you hammer) was so sketchy that I thought it may have been a stolen car.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Good to know. The instructions I've read seem easy enough, I'd just hate to mess up anything in my rear, lol.

I'd like to right hook the previous owner since he literally sold me the shell and vanished into thin air...like promised me several other parts for our agreed upon price. I was paranoid for about 3-4 months after I bought it because of his behaviour (for you hammer) was so sketchy that I thought it may have been a stolen car.
lol i'm sorry guy. you almost literally can't do it wrong. pull diff cover, remove cross pin, pound INWARD on the axle you wish to remove to get the c-clip out, remove axle. there's no measuring or setting required. just put the new axle in and reverse the process.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I've read!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
lol i'm sorry guy. you almost literally can't do it wrong. pull diff cover, remove cross pin, pound INWARD on the axle you wish to remove to get the c-clip out, remove axle. there's no measuring or setting required. just put the new axle in and reverse the process.
Yep, that's about it. I like to use a magnet to get the c-clip out and to put it back in.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

then get it done and run that **** sucker!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple points:

My ride = bent axle, will replace this weekend if the studs come in for the wheels.

I wasn't taking a dig at you, I was just saying you have a cylinder head upgrade and Guitar does not.

Thirdly, I was the dude who told you to do a leakdown test. Don't make me out to be the *******. I never wish a hurt motor on another gearhead, regardless of their brand preference. Broken **** sucks
Dude either i have had a bad day or you did. Idk i had a bad day its been great but it seems like every response you made towards me was in a dick kinda way. Oh well. Like i said though that 2v comment wasn't a shot at you. Iirc you got the old school push rod 5.0 correct? If so hell at least your engine is running correctly lol unlike mine. Which seems to love being broken down longer than running right. I agree i hate hearing bad news on another persons ride, its too damn expensive to keep fixing.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ZNix
Yep, that's about it. I like to use a magnet to get the c-clip out and to put it back in.
not a bad idea. I always found 12 bolts the worst. the c clips are tight in those things.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
then get it done and run that **** sucker!
You've changed gears and **** yourself, am I correct? That **** scares the hell outta me.
Originally Posted by "MAC"
Dude either i have had a bad day or you did. Idk i had a bad day its been great but it seems like every response you made towards me was in a dick kinda way. Oh well. Like i said though that 2v comment wasn't a shot at you. Iirc you got the old school push rod 5.0 correct? If so hell at least your engine is running correctly lol unlike mine. Which seems to love being broken down longer than running right. I agree i hate hearing bad news on another persons ride, its too damn expensive to keep fixing.
That's not the way it was intended. I know your car was running the way it shouldn't. No matter what mods you do to a car that isn't running right, it will be leaving power on the table. It really sucks you have to fix your stuff. In the other thread, my comment saying it was good advice for my future 'bird was to HiO and hammer talking about header primary sizes. I wasn't mocking you.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Lol well **** me (i know ill probably get some **** for that but its a saying not an invitation i dont roll like that) mybad man. Im a little pissed tbh because once again the ******* internet is down because its sprinkling out side. Comcast is shitty i wouldn't recommend it ever.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

You've changed gears and **** yourself, am I correct? That **** scares the hell outta me.

That's not the way it was intended. I know your car was running the way it shouldn't. No matter what mods you do to a car that isn't running right, it will be leaving power on the table. It really sucks you have to fix your stuff. In the other thread, my comment saying it was good advice for my future 'bird was to HiO and hammer talking about header primary sizes. I wasn't mocking you.
yeah I've done a good number of gears. it's not really that hard.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Lol well **** me (i know ill probably get some **** for that but its a saying not an invitation i dont roll like that) mybad man. Im a little pissed tbh because once again the ******* internet is down because its sprinkling out side. Comcast is shitty i wouldn't recommend it ever.
It's all good, bud. I misunderstand people on here sometimes, too.

**** Comcast, that's all I got to say
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

I don't mind Comcast... Worked well for so far.

Know what really grinds my gears? People who pull apart perfectly running Buick motors because they have high miles on them... Lo and behold, guess whose motor dies 2k miles later? Yep... That guy. If you are going to rebuild it, do it right or not at all. Believe it or not, these motors like TIGHT clearances... Im talking .001-.002 MAX. Most builders put these together like a SBC... WAY too loose.

Then they call these motors junk... Throw in a 305 and slow their car down... lol

I have 129k miles on my completely stock lower end. Only thing I have done to the motor is aluminum heads.,,, There is no need to tear it apart at 70k miles...

Last edited by ZNix; 07-23-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZNix
I don't mind Comcast... Worked well for so far.

Know what really grinds my gears? People who pull apart perfectly running Buick motors because they have high miles on them... Lo and behold, guess whose motor dies 2k miles later? Yep... That guy. If you are going to rebuild it, do it right or not at all. Believe it or not, these motors like TIGHT clearances... Im talking .001-.002 MAX. Most builders put these together like a SBC... WAY too loose.

Then they call these motors junk... Throw in a 305 and slow their car down... lol

I have 129k miles on my completely stock lower end. Only thing I have done to the motor is aluminum heads.,,, There is no need to tear it apart at 70k miles...
Um i disagree there is always a need to tear into an engine and thats to upgrade the cam and lifters man! If you aint first your last!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Banned

It's all good, bud. I misunderstand people on here sometimes, too.

**** Comcast, that's all I got to say
Lol yea man i was watching That 70s Show and then i got the loading circle of death.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=why87;18334501]R8s are sexy but mehh. If I had that kind of coin to throw down on something exotic I don't think it would be an R8.[/QUOTE

Don't get me wrong R8s are beautiful . But completely agree much better things to do with money if you had it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Um i disagree there is always a need to tear into an engine and thats to upgrade the cam and lifters man! If you aint first your last!
In these cars, there is no reason to change the cam. The stock cam has been well into the 10's before. And when I say tear into a motor, I mean rebuild it. Usually you don't rebuild a motor to put a cam in it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is already 5 lug right Sean? or are you still rocking 4 lug ?

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)