Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah 4th gen was 1993... Lt1. 1998 was ls1
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It's not even about that. It's more about chassis set-up. It's hard to whine about bolt-on **** when the engine is SI. The mustang chassis has been around since 05....with ALOT more guys drag racing that chassis than a vette chassis. The aftermarket for the ford **** is off the chart for bolt-on type stuff because there is so many Mustangs.......there's even plenty of MUstangs for us to put chevy motors in.....lmao

There is far less vette's and then the % of vette guys willing to do this with their car is far less also. Even camaro guys are all to quick to go full bolt-ons and sort their car out. Mainly because it's cheaper to throw a cam in it or a set of heads and call it a day to reach the same goal as far as et/trap is concerned. It's just far more impressive when a bolt-on car is right.
Just because 1 or 2 guys claim to have accomplished something doesn't always make it the best route to go. Like you mentioned, most vette guys (including myself) aren't willing to go to the length of certain chassis modifications it requires to run ets/traps like that with minimal power modifications. Most F-body guys too. There's a reason you and the C5 guy are the only ones in the last decade to claim to have ran those times/traps out of all the other bolt-on cars. Its obviously not practical and therefore you can't expect many to take that route.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
Just because 1 or 2 guys claim to have accomplished something doesn't always make it the best route to go. Like you mentioned, most vette guys (including myself) aren't willing to go to the length of certain chassis modifications it requires to run ets/traps like that with minimal power modifications. Most F-body guys too. There's a reason you and the C5 guy are the only ones in the last decade to claim to have ran those times/traps out of all the other bolt-on cars. Its obviously not practical and therefore you can't expect everyone to take that route.

Very well said
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Danm....can you bore a lq engine that much??????
I think its been done before check out the first post.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=354823

Hey cwarta check this out, i also saw this thread a WHILE ago but haven't seen any replicate this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-4-085-a.html

Last edited by adamantium; 03-19-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
Hey cwarta check this out, i also saw this thread a WHILE ago but haven't seen any replicate this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-4-085-a.html
They must have used some POS parts to sleeve the motor for that cheap. In reality, it would cost a lot more than that.

Also, if I were sleeving an LS1, Darton MID Wet sleeve is the only way to go.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Danm....can you bore a lq engine that much??????
Well I spent 4 hours at the machine shop today, and here is what we talked about.

From the research I have done, an average lq4 has .275 - .300 thick walls and it touches the water jackets. With that being said, my machinest said if I have .150 thick wall on the thrust side and at least .075 thick the rest of the way around I can do it. He does the machine work for our 2,000+ hp bbc mini mods so I trust him. He said its defffinatley not going to be spraysble or boostsble but it should make one Nast **** on the street for about the cost of a darton block lol
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by willizm
Where is that happening? I'm butt hurt and need to trolllollololool
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 446 Likes on 352 Posts

Just because 1 or 2 guys claim to have accomplished something doesn't always make it the best route to go. Like you mentioned, most vette guys (including myself) aren't willing to go to the length of certain chassis modifications it requires to run ets/traps like that with minimal power modifications. Most F-body guys too. There's a reason you and the C5 guy are the only ones in the last decade to claim to have ran those times/traps out of all the other bolt-on cars. Its obviously not practical and therefore you can't expect many to take that route.
I agree to a extent. Say it's not practical is the the opposite of why I did things the way I did. To me it's more practical. I like a smooth idling engine that is very reliable and still gets great mileage. That all sounds more practical to me. For sure vette boys set-up is very straight line oriented but mine is far from that. Even his car still has a tag on it though. Now to say most can't do it w/o having a cobbled pos would be more accurate.

I don't know what all his details are.....he seems a secretive about that stuff. Alot of guys are when they get something like that goin. Maybe there's not much to tell. There's not much to tell on mine really....besides I need to put my 9 in to go a little faster. Other than the weight reduction it's just a well tuned bolt-on ls6.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Banned

They must have used some POS parts to sleeve the motor for that cheap. In reality, it would cost a lot more than that.

Also, if I were sleeving an LS1, Darton MID Wet sleeve is the only way to go.
Did you read the actual thread? Or post? He goes over that.

Honestly id prefer to go with ERL, they do the best sleeve work ive seen. But darton is great too. Both big names in the honda world aswell
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cwarta
Well I spent 4 hours at the machine shop today, and here is what we talked about.

From the research I have done, an average lq4 has .275 - .300 thick walls and it touches the water jackets. With that being said, my machinest said if I have .150 thick wall on the thrust side and at least .075 thick the rest of the way around I can do it. He does the machine work for our 2,000+ hp bbc mini mods so I trust him. He said its defffinatley not going to be spraysble or boostsble but it should make one Nast **** on the street for about the cost of a darton block lol
Its all going to depend on how much material that 'particular' block has in it, and only sonic testing can tell you that. Still I say .125 is a far stretch, lol. Most experienced "LS" builders will tell you .080" is pushing it, .060" the safety limit with sonic testing, .030 w/o. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Did you read the actual thread? Or post? He goes over that.

Honestly id prefer to go with ERL, they do the best sleeve work ive seen. But darton is great too. Both big names in the honda world aswell
You do know ERL uses Darton sleeves, right?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

You do know ERL uses Darton sleeves, right?
....Doesn't say anything about ERL useind dartoon sleeves on there site..

I was talking about the actual thread i shared.....
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
3/16/13 SRMS PBIR, 2003 Accord V6 6-speed vs 2011 Mustang 5.0 V8, Cams/Ex/50 shot, Auto trans - YouTube
He's a fairly good sport to be honest... lol
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Its all going to depend on how much material that 'particular' block has in it, and only sonic testing can tell you that. Still I say .125 is a far stretch, lol. Most experienced "LS" builders will tell you .080" is pushing it, .060" the safety limit with sonic testing, .030 w/o. Good luck!
Yup I couldn't agree more. It's an experiment, I just want to do it. If I can do it and have a decent amount of wall left I will, if not ill drop down to a .100 bore, and do on. But I'll slap on my cnc ported heads at first and see how long until I crush my t56 lol
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
He's a fairly good sport to be honest... lol
Have you read it? It's like a thread in the comments LOL
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

....Doesn't say anything about ERL useind dartoon sleeves on there site..

I was talking about the actual thread i shared.....
ERL doesnt make their own sleeves, they only install them in their Superdeck blocks. They're a machine shop. They use ductile-iron sleeves made by Darton.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Have you read it? It's like a thread in the comments LOL
Yeah I replied to you. haha. Honestly I fully expected him to have a meltdown by now.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

ERL doesnt make their own sleeves, they only install them in their Superdeck blocks. They're a machine shop. Their sleeve of choice is Darton.
I remember them saying they are two completely different shops and thats a common misconception. I just got to find the quote where the ERL sponsor says this. I think they USED to use darton sleeves.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I replied to you. haha. Honestly I fully expected him to have a meltdown by now.
He has no ammo. It would be like me arguing with some Pure Street guys...wtf am I going to say to em?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

LOL no way I'd drag you by bus lengths. Pass me what you're smoking!

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)