Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah my paceshitters fit great, welds weren't pretty but aslong as it lasts i couldn't care less about that.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to try them out and maybe drimmel the ports some to get that "big bore" effect.

No really, I heard the welds were crap and I'm gonna get the burrs out.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 480 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
That's been bumped to 6600 using hp tuners. Before the long tubes on stock tune (shifting at 6k) it went 12.8 @ 110 on a 2.0 60ft... No idea what it will do now but it still feels like a turd. Tracks won't open for another month and a half so I just have to wait and see.
I hope your shifting right at the limiter. It should really be @ 6800. What gears you running? Ported tb or maf? Clutch? You should be able to do 12.8 @ 110 with very few mods.....no cam needed for that.

Yea Stoppy do headers.

Kooks headers or nothing. After having a set they are all you will want.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I hope your shifting right at the limiter. It should really be @ 6800. What gears you running? Ported tb or maf? Clutch? You should be able to do 12.8 @ 110 with very few mods.....no cam needed for that.
I try to hit at the limiter..of course you know how shitty the stock tach is in the first few gears... it's tricky to catch it at the right spot. As far as gears.. stock 3.42s (really need 3.90s), stock (descreened which may have been a mistake from what Ive read) maf, stock tb, LS6 clutch (from a 2002 Z06)

I'm not sure the cam helped much if at all on my pass.. I ran 13.1 @ 108 bone stock and had some less than perfect runs with just a lid/FRA that were 109.xx traps... I'll be honest right now I'm really hoping the tune makes a huge difference because the car feels off and on all the time... one second it will spin in 2nd @ 40 and the next if feels like a camry (well not that bad...but it feels off)... I'm going out to Speed Inc on saturday with my buddy to drop off his Z06 and I'll be talking to them a little to see if they have any ideas... it's a 3hr drive and a chunk of cash so I don't want to find out I missed something basic and waste time/money.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have always descreened maf's. I have a stock on in case any issues would arise. I even port the stock maf......even the slp 85mm I have on my car now.......even my 2500hd maf...lol

Inconsistent running could be a few a things. I have seen it be as simple as a fuel filter. Replace it for sure.

Make sure they look at part throttle tuning also. So many just want to do full throttle/peak power **** but there can be alot of momentum lost due to part throttle/mid range tuning.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

A lot of mustang guys (Mach) included have had problems with their kooks. Plus they are $1000. NO 4v owner has had a negative thing to say about the fit of pacesetters and they are $250!!!! It's a no brainer really Hiho.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

I have always descreened maf's. I have a stock on in case any issues would arise. I even port the stock maf......even the slp 85mm I have on my car now.......even my 2500hd maf...lol

Inconsistent running could be a few a things. I have seen it be as simple as a fuel filter. Replace it for sure.

Make sure they look at part throttle tuning also. So many just want to do full throttle/peak power **** but there can be alot of momentum lost due to part throttle/mid range tuning.
Porting/descreening your MAF, for what? Won't gain power anywhere. The stock MAF isn't an restriction until around 600whp. Besides you run the risk of damaging it.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had pacesetters on my lt1, they fit like ****, low clearance, rattled, and looked terrible after a few months even tho they were ceramic. My stainless tsp on the other hand are a perfect fit, and look great after almost a year.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I try to hit at the limiter..of course you know how shitty the stock tach is in the first few gears... it's tricky to catch it at the right spot. As far as gears.. stock 3.42s (really need 3.90s), stock (descreened which may have been a mistake from what Ive read) maf, stock tb, LS6 clutch (from a 2002 Z06)

I'm not sure the cam helped much if at all on my pass.. I ran 13.1 @ 108 bone stock and had some less than perfect runs with just a lid/FRA that were 109.xx traps... I'll be honest right now I'm really hoping the tune makes a huge difference because the car feels off and on all the time... one second it will spin in 2nd @ 40 and the next if feels like a camry (well not that bad...but it feels off)... I'm going out to Speed Inc on saturday with my buddy to drop off his Z06 and I'll be talking to them a little to see if they have any ideas... it's a 3hr drive and a chunk of cash so I don't want to find out I missed something basic and waste time/money.
Good luck figuring out the issues with it. I've considered getting the truck tuned as well with a CAI or something. It is bone stock down to the paper filter otherwise
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
A lot of mustang guys (Mach) included have had problems with their kooks. Plus they are $1000. NO 4v owner has had a negative thing to say about the fit of pacesetters and they are $250!!!! It's a no brainer really Hiho.
Yeah, go with what works
Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
I had pacesetters on my lt1, they fit like ****, low clearance, rattled, and looked terrible after a few months even tho they were ceramic. My stainless tsp on the other hand are a perfect fit, and look great after almost a year.
My stainless steel PS knockoff Ebay headers did just fine. Fit seemed a bit warped at first, but they were fine. $275 shipped with an ORY
Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
Porting/descreening your MAF, for what? Won't gain power anywhere. The stock MAF isn't an restriction until around 600whp. Besides you run the risk of damaging it.
I have seen many gm cars pick up .2 from descreening the maf on back to back runs. It also makes cleaning it easier and it don't take much dirt to f on up. I've had great luck messing with mafs.
Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Good luck figuring out the issues with it. I've considered getting the truck tuned as well with a CAI or something. It is bone stock down to the paper filter otherwise

Yeah, go with what works

My stainless steel PS knockoff Ebay headers did just fine. Fit seemed a bit warped at first, but they were fine. $275 shipped with an ORY
I did a upd intake and putt Silverado SS timing tables in mine. It still runs on 87 but anymore and it needs more octane. I used to have a hot tune for my 2500hd but I had to run 93 with it. It ran real good with that tune but not good enough for the extra cost of premium gas for that gas hog.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Ok engine builders.....

Got my heads back from the shop yesterday. They took .005" just to make sure the surface is flat. The block was also decked. Should I hit either surface with anything to make sure the gasket seals? Like a wire brush or something similiar?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Put your nuts in between. If your nuts disappear 100% then I believe it's as flat as can be.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Ok engine builders.....

Got my heads back from the shop yesterday. They took .005" just to make sure the surface is flat. The block was also decked. Should I hit either surface with anything to make sure the gasket seals? Like a wire brush or something similiar?
if both surfaces have been freshly decked... dont touch them with anything. Maybe just some pre-cleaner or alcohol to make sure theres no greases or oils on the surfaces.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea Stoppy do headers.

Kooks headers or nothing. After having a set they are all you will want.
second that statement. Had them on my gto... have them on my boss. Its not coincidence i get a lot of compliments on my exhaust note.... Kooks headers are 75% of that reason.
^kooks headers

^kooks headers
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

I have seen many gm cars pick up .2 from descreening the maf on back to back runs. It also makes cleaning it easier and it don't take much dirt to f on up. I've had great luck messing with mafs..
No way! I challenge you to show me one example of any N/A LS car gaining 2-tenths from a descreening/porting the MAF!!

The MAF is not a restriction at those power levels. Its one of those "free" mods people like to do, like relocating the IAT sensor, and does nothing in terms of performance.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yeah I found out about that after the fact... 2002+ Z06 cars have descreened MAFs from the factory (So GM thought it was a great idea at some point) but some people have said descreening made their car run pig rich...I'm guessing you can tune to compensate for the change and it won't matter... pretty hit or miss though...I see people claiming they did it with no problems. At this point I've made too many changes I think and one of them pissed off the stock tune.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No way! I challenge you to show me one example of any N/A LS car gaining 2-tenths from a descreening/porting the MAF!!

The MAF is not a restriction at those power levels. Its one of those "free" mods people like to do, like relocating the IAT sensor, and does nothing in terms of performance.
I've done it with other gm cars. Not just ls stuff. I'm not saying every one will pick up .2 but I have pulled peoples maf screen at the track and their car went faster. Take a screen out and smash it diameter wise. You will see just how much of a restriction it can be. I put a Granitelli on my car initially. There were lots of people that said they sucked but my car was way more responsive with it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it with other gm cars. Not just ls stuff. I'm not saying every one will pick up .2 but I have pulled peoples maf screen at the track and their car went faster. Take a screen out and smash it diameter wise. You will see just how much of a restriction it can be. I put a Granitelli on my car initially. There were lots of people that said they sucked but my car was way more responsive with it.
I agree, i descreened my buddies MAF like a week or two ago when we put his LID on and the thing looked like the inside of a catalytic.

Yeah I found out about that after the fact... 2002+ Z06 cars have descreened MAFs from the factory (So GM thought it was a great idea at some point) but some people have said descreening made their car run pig rich...I'm guessing you can tune to compensate for the change and it won't matter... pretty hit or miss though...I see people claiming they did it with no problems. At this point I've made too many changes I think and one of them pissed off the stock tune.

My car does this too, its inconsistent at times...or atleast i feel it as if its inconsistent, but it could be the roads your on. Im getting my car street tuned anyways. Not worth shelling out $450-500 for a dyno tune for 10-15whp.

Pacesetters don't sound too bad.

Last edited by adamantium; 03-20-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

I've done it with other gm cars. Not just ls stuff. I'm not saying every one will pick up .2 but I have pulled peoples maf screen at the track and their car went faster. Take a screen out and smash it diameter wise. You will see just how much of a restriction it can be.
Which cars are you talking about where you can see 2 tenths gain from descreening the MAF? I've worked on many other platforms beside LSx. On a forced induction vehicle or radical N/A motor where the MAF may have become a restriction I can see it. Otherwise, there's no way you're cutting two tenths from just that. It had to be something else that contributed to the gains.

I put a Granitelli on my car initially. There were lots of people that said they sucked but my car was way more responsive with it.
That could have been from a number of things, for example your original MAF sensor may have needed cleaning or just wasn't functioning properly. A little over a decade ago I let someone talk me into picking one of those up for my LT1 car; biggest $370 mistake of my life! Glad I know what I know now.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i picked up 8whp from increasing my maf housing size by 5/16s. And my stock housing was already much bigger then the factory ls1 maf

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)