Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New SRT8 Challenger 392

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
Some of you ford guys are ridiculous. Im not brand loyal by any means but find me 1 person anywhere that will look twice at a 5.0 when it rolls by? The base 5.0 looks like a v6 and there is nothing special about it. Even the GT/CS is nothing to serious. That is the exact reason why I didnt get one. The car is pure speed nothing else, the 392 is an all around better car and you get alot more for the extra $$ you pay. Give respect where its due the car is 4000+lbs and on average it is quicker then the 5.0 no matter how you put it. Sit inside of a 392 and then sit inside a 5.0 and you will know why there are so many people who would choose a 392 over a 5.0
I already agreed the SRT8 is the best looking between the SS/SRT/5.0. But you also have other option to get with the 5.0 that you didn't post. Hood scope/window louvers/side skirts. All installed from ford. Glass roof. Convertible. Which Chally does not have at all.

Also A lot people like to check out the 5.0 right now cause it is new. But people want to check out the SRT8 cause they are not out there cause no one si buying them like they are the SS/5.0. They have sold half as many Challengers then they have 5.0 and even less then then they have SS.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take the fastest car with the most potential to be the fastest every time. See, different strokes for different folks. Look at sales numbers. They tell the tale of what is selling.

The muscle car market is mostly working folks buying a V8 car with good performance and decent looks. The high end cars like 392s, GT500s, boss 302s, ZL1s and the like are for rich guys with nothing better to spend their money on (don't get me wrong, I'd like to be one of these) or people living beyond their means. The rest of us buy base models according to our taste (you know big, slow and good looking for mopar guys, small fast and common for the mustang guys and somewhere in the middle for the camaro guys) and mod them to be the way we like them as we earn the money to do it.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paywithdeath
Lol this is funny. The slow part especially.
I don't know why, but maybe it's because I'm used to daily driving a 2850lb car with 478hp/508tq to the wheels. Now granted it's a piece of crap fwd dodge neon, but it's the fastest dd I've ever had. Now if it was a 392 chally with roughly the same power to the ground it would be a heck of alot slower at 4000+ lbs except for off the line. I would have the coolest looking car around though...I would have to admit that, of course at more than twice the price.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I'll take the fastest car with the most potential to be the fastest every time. See, different strokes for different folks. Look at sales numbers. They tell the tale of what is selling.

The muscle car market is mostly working folks buying a V8 car with good performance and decent looks. The high end cars like 392s, GT500s, boss 302s, ZL1s and the like are for rich guys with nothing better to spend their money on (don't get me wrong, I'd like to be one of these) or people living beyond their means. The rest of us buy base models according to our taste (you know big, slow and good looking for mopar guys, small fast and common for the mustang guys and somewhere in the middle for the camaro guys) and mod them to be the way we like them as we earn the money to do it.
I will agree some. If I could have afforded a new GT500 I would be rocking it.

So far this year, Dodge sold 16,777 Challengers. Compare that to Chevy moving 40,275 Camaros and Ford selling 30,206 Mustangs

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...te-update.html
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
I already agreed the SRT8 is the best looking between the SS/SRT/5.0. But you also have other option to get with the 5.0 that you didn't post. Hood scope/window louvers/side skirts. All installed from ford. Glass roof. Convertible. Which Chally does not have at all.
And even with all that extra crap it still looks like a regular *** Mustang. Nothing special. It's decently quick tho.

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I don't know why, but maybe it's because I'm used to daily driving a 2850lb car with 478hp/508tq to the wheels. Now granted it's a piece of crap fwd dodge neon, but it's the fastest dd I've ever had. Now if it was a 392 chally with roughly the same power to the ground it would be a heck of alot slower at 4000+ lbs except for off the line. I would have the coolest looking car around though...I would have to admit that, of course at more than twice the price.
Dude, no one cares. You drive a ****** skittle, you have no clout in this here thread regardless of how much fwhp it produces. You can't put that **** to the ground anyway, so its pointless. Stop sounding like a moron.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 916 BREDWNR
And even with all that extra crap it still looks like a regular *** Mustang. Nothing special. It's decently quick tho.
Yes they still look very similar. But you can tell the difference.

The Challenger's look great. Better then the SS/5.0 no doubt. I think biggest thing keeping them selling like the camaro/mustang is price. People look at it as they can get a loaded Camaro for 38k and a fully loaded mustang with rebates and stuff offered for under 36k. That will put them in a R/T and not a SRT8 392. Not only that but the mark-ups I have seen for the SRT8's are just crazy like the Boss in some places. Or when the Camaro first came out.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So much fail in here and blatent retardation.
yes there is, and most of it from you.

Originally Posted by farmington
Guess I'm just going to have to spank a new 5.0 to keep everybody happy.
it wont be hard. everyone is doing it.

Some of you ford guys are ridiculous. Im not brand loyal by any means but find me 1 person anywhere that will look twice at a 5.0 when it rolls by? The base 5.0 looks like a v6 and there is nothing special about it. Even the GT/CS is nothing to serious. That is the exact reason why I didnt get one. The car is pure speed nothing else, the 392 is an all around better car and you get alot more for the extra $$ you pay. Give respect where its due the car is 4000+lbs and on average it is quicker then the 5.0 no matter how you put it. Sit inside of a 392 and then sit inside a 5.0 and you will know why there are so many people who would choose a 392 over a 5.0

now there is some truth. that is the ONLY reason i did buy it. there are a lot of alternatives that are better for a lot of reasons, if pure speed isnt the criterion. if the 392 is quicker on average, its kinda like the 2010+SS and coyote. one edges the other but driving is everything. nobody is dominant.

unless the 392 runs a SS. they will beat them handily.

Last edited by assasinator; 06-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 916 BREDWNR

Dude, no one cares. You drive a ****** skittle, you have no clout in this here thread regardless of how much fwhp it produces. You can't put that **** to the ground anyway, so its pointless. Stop sounding like a moron.
Uhm...the skittle is my slow car. I have an LS1 too...
Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

There are plenty of fast 5.7's 6.1's and larger out there from the 3rd gen hemi's even at 4000+ lbs. I dont understand why people find this so hard to believe.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

There are plenty of fast 5.7's 6.1's and larger out there from the 3rd gen hemi's even at 4000+ lbs. I dont understand why people find this so hard to believe.
We know there is fast ones. But look what they have had to do to get that fast.

I think the 392 is fast but not as fast as you making it out to be. low 12s bone stock off the show room(putting DR's is not stock). Mid 12's is believable. I will not mention the magazine articles that have it list as 13 flat.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Yea and the same magazine that mention the 5.0 and ss and 13 second cars as well. The 6.1 full loaded will go low 13's stock. Ive done it personally. My RT bone stock went 13.6 which isnt anything to brag about but for 4500 lb car its not to shabby. They could have done better with the first srt round but it was great for what it was. The new srt round when mods are out i feel will react as well, if not better than the coyote motor does to modifications. If they lost a couple pounds itd be better but, the mopars have always been big powerfull boats.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Yea and the same magazine that mention the 5.0 and ss and 13 second cars as well. The 6.1 full loaded will go low 13's stock. Ive done it personally. My RT bone stock went 13.6 which isnt anything to brag about but for 4500 lb car its not to shabby. They could have done better with the first srt round but it was great for what it was. The new srt round when mods are out i feel will react as well, if not better than the coyote motor does to modifications. If they lost a couple pounds itd be better but, the mopars have always been big powerfull boats.
I think simple bolt ones like headers/cold air/etc it will react good. With 6.4L it should. Will depend on how well Dodge did with it in the first place. The 5.0 is very conservative on the tune side. And totally agree lose some weight and it be better. That big factor that is letter Ford get away with smaller cubs and less power. That and gearing. 3.73's for manuals and 3.55s for autos are all options.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bh353
You are right each one of the cars has it's advantages and disadvantages..But i will take a car that looks good and has the bigger displacement everytime.
my thoughts exactly
Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

We all just need settle down and buy a Camaro and do like this one local to me...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Launching!

We all just need settle down and buy a Camaro and do like this one local to me...
Now that's pimp **** right thur.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by bh353
Why does the the new 5.0 always get brought up in every thread? Face it mustang guy's dodge came to play with the 392 challenger.Like it or not did you really think the other manufactures were just gonna sit on there *** and not do anything? Just face the facts the 5.0 is limited with it's displacement and that is were they made the mistake...
The cars are making 450rwhp with bolt-ons... that doesn't seem very limited to me. Especially since the car isn't a complete fatass.
Originally Posted by the jester 812
ford knows what they are doing though, there's always the option of throwing a supercharger on it. they are just getting started with this new engine. they did great things with the 4.6 (03-04 cobra) and GM has some tricks up their sleeve too. we should all jut sit back and appreciate the new muscle car era, instead of nut swinging on whatever brand our pop's drove or whatever
Exactly.
1) You are acting like the R/T and SRT-8 Challengers don't look almost EXACTLY like the base model. Now if you just like the way the Challenger looks more than the Mustang, that's fine... but that "it looks like the base model" reasoning is ridiculous.
2) The car is very fast for being as heavy as it is. But where you would rather drive the big car with the big engine, I'd rather drive the car that weighs 600lbs less and is a ****-hair slower in a straight line.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

They don't look the same the Stripes, wheels and paint is different..

Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

I like the Challenger more just because its got so much more charisma when looking at it in person compared to the 5.0 and the SS. I also much prefer the Challenger's simple interior over the too overdone retro interiors of the 5.0 and the SS.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
***Repost Police***

They don't look the same the Stripes, wheels and paint is different..
Of course, how silly of me
Originally Posted by Buffalo
I like the Challenger more just because its got so much more charisma when looking at it in person compared to the 5.0 and the SS. I also much prefer the Challenger's simple interior over the too overdone retro interiors of the 5.0 and the SS.
You are officially the first person I've ever heard of/seen that said the Mustang's interior is "overdone." Just for reference...

Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Actually the thing I hate about the Challenger is its lack of a unique interior. It would only make sense for the most Retro looking of the three to have a Retro interior but it doesn't.

Quick Reply: New SRT8 Challenger 392