Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

G8 GT vs. LT1, LS1, STI, BMW X5 M, Turbo Civic (No Videos, Sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G8 GT vs. LT1, LS1, STI, BMW X5 M, Turbo Civic (No Videos, Sorry)

I'll appologize right up front for the lack of video footage. All of the people that usually go with me and grab video of the races were busy, so I had to make due. Didn't mean I was going to miss out on the fun though

I've been itching to get out there and test the car out to see how the new mods perform in the real world. Definitely got my chance!

Current setup is a CAI, Exhaust, Tune, making 335 rwhp and 345 rwtq.

First up, I called my brother, who has a mild bolt-on 1994 Z28 A4. We've raced so many times that it would be a good test for my car. Since we've gotten his car running right, the race from 25 mph would previously have him jumping out between a 1/2 and a full car, with me playing catchup and getting him by a 1/2 to a full car by 110ish.

We lined up and honked it off. As soon as we hit it, I started pulling away and he said that by the end of the race 110-120 for me, I had 4 cars on him easy. He was very impressed with the improvement and I think it's giving him some motivation to get headers and rocker arms on his car.

After that run, we found a small coolant leak coming from his car, so he had to call it a night. I headed out to go hunting

I met up with some friends and we decided to go for a cruise. One of my friends recently picked up a 2001 Camaro SS, 6-speed. The car is 100% stock with the exception of cat deletes ( one went bad, so he deleted them).

Before the cruise I mentioned to him that I wanted to run him, but I never mentioned that I had the new mods. He gave me a look like I was nuts, but he will race anyone, so when we headed out we lined up almost right away.

Neither of us had a passenger, but he did have his t-tops out, which wasn't helping.

1st run, we lined up at 40 mph, both in 2nd gear. I honked it off and it was close off the hit and then I started pulling slowly, probably getting him by 3/4 to 1 car.

2nd run, we lined up at 50ish and I started in 2nd, but he went to 3rd (stated after that he didn;t know why he did that). Due to his wrong gear choice, it wasn't pretty for him, with me pulling 2-3 cars.

We pulled into a gas station and chatted a bit and decided to go back out and try a 1st gear roll from 25 mph. We lined up and I honked it off. The race was very close, but every time my car shifted, I would jump out a little more after each shift. It went like that until he missed 3rd gear.

We lined up once more from 25, but the results were the same, with me pulling a little until he missed 3rd.

He said that his clutch kept sticking to the floor when he tried for 3rd, so he might have to look into ne hydraulics soon. Once that's fixed we're gonna try a rematch with his t-tops in.

The group that we went cruising with included 2 pre-2006 Subaru WRX's. The STI had a big front mount, but he also had about 45 people inside the car with him, so I figured I'd wait to race him for another day. I did line up with the WRX, which was a bolt-on car. Downpipe, exhaust, tune, etc. He didn't have any passengers. I asked him if he wanted a dig or a rol and he said 1st gear roll was fine.

We slowed to about 10 mph and I told him to honk when he was ready. he started the race and we both hit it, with me pulling him pretty much right away and getting out on him pretty good. I'd say 3-4 cars by 120+, but I'm not sure where he let out.

When we got back from the cruise he got out and said, "damn those GTO's." I was going to correct him, but the guy with the STI corrected him first. He was cool about the race and said he's looking to get a 2006+ WRX in the future.

We hung out a while once the stores started closing in the parking lots that we were hanging out in we all went out for a drive. At one point there was a white BMW SUV crusing and my buddy gets next to me and says, "hey, that guy thinks that thing is fast, go race him!" I got up to it and saw that it was a BMW X5 M. I had never heard of those before that and had no idea what they were.

He had 2 passenger in it, but I could tell he was game. I got next to him and we looked at each other and I hit it (probably 40 mph) and he went right after. I walked out a little, but that thing was definitely fast. We got next to each other again and he hit it first (1st gear roll). I hit it right after and he got about a 1/2 car out before I slowly reeled him in and got a nose on him before we had to shut down (very short race).

I was suprised how fast it was, but they are rated 550 hp and 500 tq and run like 12.8 @ 108 mph! I'd love to get another run with it, but without any passengers in his car.

Later on, my friend and I were hanging out and he gets a call form his friend that a guy with a turbo Civic is looking for a fun race to test out his new setup. We cruised out in the G8 and met up with them.

The car was a very clean, mid-90's non-hatch Civic. Dark gray and not ricey at all. He said it was a V-Tech motor and had a GT35R turbo. I have no idea what he was running for boost, but I'd guess very low based on the races. They said it was making 300 hp, but I don't know if those are actual dyno numbers or just a guess.

They never commented on my car before, but they gave us some looks like "wft?" that we brought out a full size 4-door sedan to run them, lol.

They wanted to go from a dig in a marked out 1/4 mile (they were running some kind of drag radial). We went out and each did a burnout (very minor one for me) and lined up, one passenger in each car. The race was flagged and I got out on them right off the bat. I kept waiting for him to start pulling back, but he never did and I beat him pretty solidly (4++ cars?).

We stopped to chat and they said they had traction issues (never saw that coming), and that he missed 3rd. They wanted a roll to try again, so I agreed.

We went out and tried 2 1st gear races and both time he spun and then missed 3rd (said something was up with his transmission). Both races I walked out hard and he never started coming back.

Just to give him a fighting chance, we did a 70 roll, so he could start in 3rd, and he was able to walk out about a car on me, where I stopped his pull and held him there.

We pulled into a parking lot after and gave props all around on some fun races. He complimented my car, saying that it cranked out! I told him to get his shifter/transmission fixed and I'd run him again any time.

I know that car has a ton more in it with that turbo, but I think with just a little more boost and good shifting, it could be a close race from a dig, with him smacking me around from a roll.

Overall it was a great night! Alot of fun races and I got to see that my car is quite a bit faster than it was stock.

Thanks for reading guys!

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 06-20-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Nice runs, Ron.

STI should have never given you a 10mph roll BTW.

Of all the speeds to start a race with a turbo 4-banger, 10mph is absolutely the worst.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks, man. We kept slowing down, so I figured he wanted a dig. When he said a roll, I was kind of suprised he didn't speed up at all.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Ya not sure why he started so low. He should have wanted least 50mph roll.

Nice Kill.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM

I honestly don't think there is a good spot for them due to the weird gearing in those things. My friend's STI swapped 2006 WRX is way faster than every bolt-on STI I've ever raced.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I honestly don't think there is a good spot for them due to the weird gearing in those things. My friend's STI swapped 2006 WRX is way faster than every bolt-on STI I've ever raced.
You talking about a regular WRX? Instead of the WRX STI?

If that case some where the bolt on STI's are set up wrong some where. They not pushing the stock turbo or something. Bad tune something. The STI starts off with more HP/tq then a regular wrx. Plus better suspension.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Just a bad spot for the STi. Seems every STi owner is like 20 and never raced a car before. Either do a Dig, or he needs to be at a speed where they are at 4k RPM or more on a bolton STi. They are great low/midrange - they typically die out high in the MPH
Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good runs! I guess we can let you slide on the videos since you most always have them! Sounds like a very fun night though, and those mods made quite a difference on the G8. I wish I could get that many runs with semi evenly matched cars in one night. Congrats.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Just a bad spot for the STi. Seems every STi owner is like 20 and never raced a car before. Either do a Dig, or he needs to be at a speed where they are at 4k RPM or more on a bolton STi. They are great low/midrange - they typically die out high in the MPH
^^^^^This. Every one I've raced they always pulled hardest in the middle rpms and died off way too early. The two that I actually heard (they took off and I chased) it sounded like they were short shifting due to such low rpms out of a 4 banger! Found out that's just the way that boxer motor works.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

I have learned STI's have no top end. Unlike the EVO's.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No idea if this is true or not, buddy has a bolt on wrx and he tells me that the sti is heaver do to the beefed of suspension and what not. So the noticeable power gain is little. I know diddly about imports so I usually take his word when it comes to subies. Just tossing it out there.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZFreie
No idea if this is true or not, buddy has a bolt on wrx and he tells me that the sti is heaver do to the beefed of suspension and what not. So the noticeable power gain is little. I know diddly about imports so I usually take his word when it comes to subies. Just tossing it out there.
We have EVO's and STI's aroudn us like crazy. The fastest subie around us runs 12.3's. bolt ons/cams/21psi/e85. Same car falls kinda flat over 120. Raced him in my G8 with bolt ons and 50 shot.

Evo's around us on the other hand range mid 10's to stock ones running low-mid 13s.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Hondas suck from anything less then 60mph unless its a really dialed in setup.

I wish the GT's came in manual =(
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM

**EDIT** It was a regular WRX, he just had it done up like an STI. Just found out and this explains things much better.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I hear that alot, but even if they did I would have gotten the auto. I think a manual option might have sold a few more, though.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 06-20-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long story but good read.

He said that his clutch kept sticking to the floor when he tried for 3rd, so he might have to look into ne hydraulics soon.
Look no further: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master

I know exactly what he's talking about. I used to have to pull mine back up in between shifts. Didn't help that the stock clutch was going to **** either, but that master will make a huge difference.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hondas suck from anything less then 60mph unless its a really dialed in setup.

You'd be very surprised how good the 6L80 pulls in those GTs. I can only imagine how hard a stalled one pulls.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by WSsick
Long story but good read.

Look no further: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
Thanks! I was going to try and shorten it, but I figured the illiterate ***** would leave the thread as soon as they saw there was no video

That's the same master that's in my Z28 and PSM had in his Z28. Worked great in both cases and I'm trying to talk my friend into it as well
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! I was going to try and shorten it, but I figured the illiterate ***** would leave the thread as soon as they saw there was no video

That's the same master that's in my Z28 and PSM had in his Z28. Worked great in both cases and I'm trying to talk my friend into it as well
Eh, videos aren't as necessary when you can tell a decent story.

I've heard that master works wonders, but I'd buy pretty much everything on that page.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kills!Sounds like you had a good time.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Current setup is a CAI, Exhaust, Tune, making 335 rwhp and 345 rwtq.
im a 87 tune and muffler mod and i'm makking 337/349...

do you have a street tune, dyno tune or mail in tune?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beans
Of all the speeds to start a race with a turbo 4-banger, 10mph is absolutely the worst.
Qft.

Great story!

Quick Reply: G8 GT vs. LT1, LS1, STI, BMW X5 M, Turbo Civic (No Videos, Sorry)