Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Try low tens at over 135 MPH on drag radials with stock rims in this heat right off the highway. Of course its a lot more than a blower and a stock motor. With stock block it went mid 10s at just about 130MPH. Nothing special-many people did better than me. I am the original owner of the car too.

My gf has a home in OBX hence me asking.

Hmm those ***** Fox bodies were getting it done against the Fbodys back in the day. If a 5.0 Fox is a ***** than what did you consider those 5.0 TBI/carbed LG4 F bodies during that era??
i have owned 2 different 86 Z28's..and 87 TA and an 84 TA too...lol other than them looking bad ***..and i loved they wey i felt riding in one..as far as the power output of them goes..they had no more to offer than what Ford was putting out..those F bodies of those years sucked ***** and where pussies too lol...of course if you mod them then they can be beast...but once the LT1's came out..they where moving in the right direction and where considered in my opinion..quick...the LS1's where just..damn!...and yeah i figured you probally had a more built engine than me..i figured heads cam and possibly bottom end work...you got a faster car than me..because well..you go more mods..i'm running stock gears..stock 10 bolt..stock heads and stock bottom end....me saying the 5.0's where pussies was only meant in stock form..a stock LS1 F body vs a stock Fox 5.0 = rapage...and if only i had the same mods you have on you 5.0...my **** would be 9's prob

and what does OBX mean ( is it Out By Me..or there?) lol never seen that one used
Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Hmm those ***** Fox bodies were getting it done against the Fbodys back in the day. If a 5.0 Fox is a ***** than what did you consider those 5.0 TBI/carbed LG4 F bodies during that era??
Did you forget about the 350?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Try low tens at over 135 MPH on drag radials with stock rims in this heat right off the highway. Of course its a lot more than a blower and a stock motor. With stock block it went mid 10s at just about 130MPH. Nothing special-many people did better than me. I am the original owner of the car too.

My gf has a home in OBX hence me asking.

I was starting to think my old *** was the only one on here that remenbered the days when the Fox Body was bad ***

If you guys decide to meet up somewhere in the middle (NC) shoot me a PM; I'd like to see how it shakes out. Maybe I'll bring one of my 10 second cars...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Even till this day I hadn't got beat wit a lt1 or those irocs wit the 350 on them and let's not bring the 305s into it lol that was on my old fox of course
Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Fox bodies were high 14- low 15 second cars off the showrooms. With some internal parts on them they could run decently...like mostly anything else. They were *light*, thats where they shined; but the pushrod 5.0 was faaar from a monster.

The LT1 on the other hand changed the game as far as HP/TQ was concerned. Simply put, if you were to drop an LT1 in a fox it would go much faster than with the original 302. In my old 383 H/C/I LT1 (which was a 10-sec car BTW) i'd spank any fox that came across me that didn't have some type of FI.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by garner
Did you forget about the 350?
Nope. I had one. 14.5 at 95 MPH stock. 13.8 at 99 with little stuff(foil,slp cold air,gutten cats,160 stat,msd ignition,aftermarket coil,ported upper,slp prom and underdrive pulley). 12.9 at 105 with porter lower and upper plenum,Vette runners(unlike F bodies they didn't have dings),TPIS Superprofile cam,1.6 rockers,52MM TB and ported Vette heads with TPIS headgasket.

Originally Posted by Heater
I was starting to think my old *** was the only one on here that remenbered the days when the Fox Body was bad ***

If you guys decide to meet up somewhere in the middle (NC) shoot me a PM; I'd like to see how it shakes out. Maybe I'll bring one of my 10 second cars...
Will do

Originally Posted by aAZz
Even till this day I hadn't got beat wit a lt1 or those irocs wit the 350 on them and let's not bring the 305s into it lol that was on my old fox of course
They could run even a 305 TPI dual cat car

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Fox bodies were high 14- low 15 second cars off the showrooms. With some internal parts on them they could run decently...like mostly anything else. They were *light*, thats where they shined; but the pushrod 5.0 was faaar from a monster.

The LT1 on the other hand changed the game as far as HP/TQ was concerned. Simply put, if you were to drop an LT1 in a fox it would go much faster than with the original 302. In my old 383 H/C/I LT1 (which was a 10-sec car BTW) i'd spank any fox that came across me that didn't have some type of FI.

Agree and disagree. I saw plenty run low 14s stock. The 87-88 ones could really run fast stock back then. Mine did 14.5 at 95. Keep in mind I race on the east coast. LT1 turned the tide when it debuted but you could still compete. Back then the aftermarket was small for the LT1s so to smack them up meant you had to outmod them. It could be done n/a with the stock block.

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
i have owned 2 different 86 Z28's..and 87 TA and an 84 TA too...lol other than them looking bad ***..and i loved they wey i felt riding in one..as far as the power output of them goes..they had no more to offer than what Ford was putting out..those F bodies of those years sucked ***** and where pussies too lol...of course if you mod them then they can be beast...but once the LT1's came out..they where moving in the right direction and where considered in my opinion..quick...the LS1's where just..damn!...and yeah i figured you probally had a more built engine than me..i figured heads cam and possibly bottom end work...you got a faster car than me..because well..you go more mods..i'm running stock gears..stock 10 bolt..stock heads and stock bottom end....me saying the 5.0's where pussies was only meant in stock form..a stock LS1 F body vs a stock Fox 5.0 = rapage...and if only i had the same mods you have on you 5.0...my **** would be 9's prob

and what does OBX mean ( is it Out By Me..or there?) lol never seen that one used

You are back peddling. First of all both cars put out decent power for the time period. What else had more power back then for around that money? Keep in mind your 308 geared 5 speed Mustang could run with a Vette in a straight line. Your Jap cars were not even close in straight line contest. Not bad for a ***** car when it was just about half the cost. The Mustang aftermarket made your other statement false-the Mustang had way more mods available than the Fbody twins-hell they had mags devoted to them!! Many speed shops back then were devoted to this car. The Mustang in terms of speed up to 92 was top gun when it came to potential,cost and parts to do it. Hell in 1989 Ford was close to releasing a turbo Fox V8 but it was cancelled. Roush did the engineeering on it and rumor was a bean counter who drove it thought it was too much power for the street

Even stuff from your local dealer was one sided. There was the factory 275 HP package with GT40 heads,intake,1.72 rockers,327 gears(waste),Motorsport headers,65 MM TB and egr spacer etc... in late 1991. Thanks for the SAAC Mustang(which got the package smog approved) this was the package on Steeda Mustangs and SAACs which could be ordered from your dealer and still have a warranty. Similiar package on a 93 Cobra was used(different cam,rockers,no headers or egr spacer with a different unpper intake manifold with a Tbird MAF,24lbers and a crappy ecu detuned for drivetrain safety) If your really had deep pockets the Saleens are what you wanted. Some of the 93 s were blown!! Hmm famous celebrities with Foxes built were Reggie Jackson,Tim Allen... The Motorsport Catalog back then was filled with 5.0 speed stuff. The GM stuff was weak for TPI back then-in fact they was little to nothing. In 1992 you could finally get a dealer installed SLP package which included the cold air,prom,slp runners and optional headers for a rated 275 and keep the factory runners. In 1992 GM was really close to releasing a anniversary Z28 with that stuff on(car only came in white with stripes) but it was axed. The 1992 Firehawk was a Fox killer but Corvette priced so it didn't do well(could run low 13s which was fast back then)
1993 did turn the tide-the Fox was way past its prime(was suppose to be dead in 89-Probe was to replace it). The new Fbody twins in 93 had abs,rear disks,dual air bags blah blah. The Cobra could compete but didn't stop as well,still based off a old design,more money and lacked abs. Also keep in mind in regards to the LS1 /LT1/L98 these were handime down from the Corvette. Mustang had no handime down motors since they was no big brother. Comparing a 5.0 to an LT1/LS1 is laughable-much never design.

I remember when the SN95 came out and was slower than the previous car-a lot of people were distraught and started buying Fbodies. When the 4.6 debuted it was even worse and many aftermarket companies for the Mustang bitched about the new motor and said it would be years before aftermarket parts like cams could be developed. Even the Mustang mags bitched about them.

In regards to you crying about more mods-you have a newer motor with more cubes,more cr and aluminum heads from the factory. Thats a ricer excuse. Run what you brung. You haven't run 10s yet either. Trust me when you get there its a challenge to keep it together and running when you drive it everywhere.

OBX=Outerbanks North Carolina

Brand new in 1992

As far as I went with the stock motor(535 RWHP). PS and ac

Nowish. Ps and ac on motor and works. Now the Extrude Honed Cobra has been replaced with the Extrude Honed Holley. I kept the Cobra since it was off my original motor and was a mod from back in 1994.

Last edited by Mike Morris; 07-21-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^^^^^^ "Not bad for a ***** car when it was just about half the cost".

True, I agree with this. Although, it WAS only about "half" the car too Corvette was twice the car, regardless of straight line performance etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
9 Second Club

Bad ***? I think you're referring to the Grand National.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

GNX was badass!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Yes they were! Even the base GN & Turbo Regal could get into the 12's with just an intake & tune. That was nasty for 1987.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
^^^^^^^^^^ "Not bad for a ***** car when it was just about half the cost".

True, I agree with this. Although, it WAS only about "half" the car too Corvette was twice the car, regardless of straight line performance etc.
Yup agreed. But I am talking straight line speed.

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
More bad *** and cheaper in 87 was any Regal model you wanted with that powertrain. You could order a chrome out base Regal with that powertrain even with a column mounted shifter for much less money. GNs in 87 were expensive when the secret about how fast they are came out

Originally Posted by oddwraith
GNX was badass!
Yes it was. If you wanted to mod a Regal though it was not a good choice.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Agree and disagree. I saw plenty run low 14s stock. The 87-88 ones could really run fast stock back then. Mine did 14.5 at 95. Keep in mind I race on the east coast. LT1 turned the tide when it debuted but you could still compete. Back then the aftermarket was small for the LT1s so to smack them up meant you had to outmod them. It could be done n/a with the stock block.
I'm from the east coast, use to run at Bridgetown (in my vette, still have all my slips too), I know how good the air is out there. With that said, a stock fox was not a low 14-second car. Mid to high 14s in good air was by far the norm.

Keep in mind your 308 geared 5 speed Mustang could run with a Vette in a straight line.
Not as far as I can remember. The L98 C4's were averaging low 14's back in the mid/late 80's. Any honest 5.0 owner from back in those days will tell you a C4 clearly had the advantage. It was also much more expensive.

Your Jap cars were not even close in straight line contest.
Until the early 90's came along and the 300ZX, latest RX-7 and Supra TT hit the streets.

Comparing a 5.0 to an LT1/LS1 is laughable-much never design.
Comparing a LT1 to a 5.0 makes perfect sense. After all, the 5.0 was up against the LT1 from 1993-1995. So yeah, don't see how that comment makes much sense.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

Yup agreed. But I am talking straight line speed.

More bad *** and cheaper in 87 was any Regal model you wanted with that powertrain. You could order a chrome out base Regal with that powertrain even with a column mounted shifter for much less money. GNs in 87 were expensive when the secret about how fast they are came out

Yes it was. If you wanted to mod a Regal though it was not a good choice.

Correct, hence my next post where I mentioned the Regal T.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Only because of boost , Seriously though they were and still are an awesome car.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

Mike Morris >> you're right..i have'nt ran 10's yet...but i think it's only fair to say i have a 10 second car seeing as how i ran an 11.3 with MAJOR issues..i have fixed those issues as well as added more mods such as an AEM water/meth ijection kit and an LS6 intake .. also had more dyno tuning done. So i know for a fact it will run a 10's..the question for me now really is, how far into the 10's?...and trust me, it's killing me not having the time to get to the track right now to run it..it's a 4 hour round trip to SGMP(south GA motorsports park)

it's kinda like if you bought a Buggati..you know it's a 10 second car..but you just dont' have the time slip for it yet..kinda how i feel (without being rich enough for a Buggati)

and honestly i think my car will be just fine as far as the "keeping it together" part you mentioned..i have been giving this car hell for 14 months with 60ish or so quatermile passes..only had the 4L60E take a **** on me..they where'nt meant to handle 500+RWHP but i had it built like a brick **** house and i'm not worried with it anymore..only part that might break ( will break in time) is the wimpy 7.5 in 10 bolt

also you mentioned my car came stock with alluminum heads..of course this is true but your aftermarket heads are way better..they have been pp and worked over to perfection..mine are factory cast..they are really no better than iron heads other than weight..and yes my engine is newer in design..but yours is actually newer since you rebuilt it with forged internals no doubt..only mod to my engine is a mild boost cam..so you have more of an engine that I
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

ONE of your 10 second cars!?!?...you are either talking **** or either one bad **** if you own more than one 10 second car lol..and nobody is driving anywhere..he was only saying that to get me to shut up..it's the same tatic i use on youtube and it usually works..but we are both grown me with jobs and with wive's that would call us retared for driving 5 hours just to go have a race or prove a point...after seeing his car i dont' doubt that it may would outrun mine on the track..if he lived only and hour or 2 away then i would proabally be all for it..but 5 hours is a no go..hell i been trying to find the time to make the 4 hour round trip to get back to the track just so i can get my 10 second passes in..much less drive 5 hours to NC and 5 hours back...**** that noise..that would be like 120 dollars in gas in my 4 speed stalled auto
Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
A cam isn't a bolt-on. And look where he runs probably -2000 d/a with full slicks/skinnies weight reduction
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
He changed a cam in his car?!
Originally Posted by z99ls1
I don't know his mod's because he didn't list them. He could have aftermarket cam's. You probably know now don't you. My point is there is a reason he runs that fast. It isn't magic
Sorry just saw this..Been researching smartphones for the last 3 days.

So z99ls1 you ASSume because I'm running 11's I have aftermarket cams and run in mindshaft air? lol. You couldn't be more wrong. No its not magic, its just using a simple formula. traction + gearing + driving = lower ET's. I've been told I am a "ok" driver.

Valve covers have NEVER been taken off the car. Stock heads, cams, and shortblock = stock longblock. The car has NEVER ran in negative DA, its been close (200-300ft) but thats about it. It'll run 12.1's at 1400ft.

Had I put cams in the car I can assure you I would be in the .4X's.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Until the early 90's came along and the 300ZX, latest RX-7 and Supra TT hit the streets.
And 3000GT VR4/ Stealth R/T TT
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I didn't say that the 5.0 was the most Bad ***

I have to remember what site I'm on when I mention about a Fox Body and LT1 cars. From what I remember the LT1 cars didn't impress me; but when the LS1 came out...that was definitely the game changer.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Sorry just saw this..Been researching smartphones for the last 3 days.

So z99ls1 you ASSume because I'm running 11's I have aftermarket cams and run in mindshaft air? lol. You couldn't be more wrong. No its not magic, its just using a simple formula. traction + gearing + driving = lower ET's. I've been told I am a "ok" driver.

Valve covers have NEVER been taken off the car. Stock heads, cams, and shortblock = stock longblock. The car has NEVER ran in negative DA, its been close (200-300ft) but thats about it. It'll run 12.1's at 1400ft.

Had I put cams in the car I can assure you I would be in the .4X's.
If i had slicks and skinnies and cool air like that i wuld run 11.7's easy

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.0