Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2004 pbm GTO vs Ram air Trans am..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im referring to the M112 tranny and gearing that come on the ls1 gto's, ls1 corvettes, and z06 corvettes..unlike the fbods..[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, i never knew that so id have to research it. I will say this i ran a friend 05 GTO with longtubes and he walked me by atleast 2 cars. But ive also ran a 2001 t/a with ram air, long tubes, and exhaust and kept up with him. The T/A was auto and lagged during lower power rranges, but the longtubes help make up for it, he put maybe a half car on me. I have SLP Lid, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, K&N, and cat-back magniflow exhaust.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
Hell, my untuned, not quite full bolt on, stock bottom end stock headed LT1 would light your world up.
Dont be silly now
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
Im referring to the M112 tranny and gearing that come on the ls1 gto's, ls1 corvettes, and z06 corvettes..unlike the fbods..
An MN12 is a Z06/GTO transmission.

An M112 is an Eaton Supercharger.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

Ur right idk why the hell I kept putting m112...its MN12....the camaros/ta's carry a MN6..my bad
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry man I'll buy the fact that you did beat the t/a and hell it may have even been 2 cars but the t/a either had a terrible driver that was in a dead spot or the car was running like crap. an ls2 gto is a drivers race for an fbody an ls1 car even a modded one such as yours should be a dead heat with a stock fbody providing the guy was a decent driver and didnt have his a4 in a dead spot.

Oh ok, i never knew that so id have to research it. I will say this i ran a friend 05 GTO with longtubes and he walked me by atleast 2 cars. But ive also ran a 2001 t/a with ram air, long tubes, and exhaust and kept up with him. The T/A was auto and lagged during lower power rranges, but the longtubes help make up for it, he put maybe a half car on me. I have SLP Lid, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, K&N, and cat-back magniflow exhaust.
I'd say that is almost on target while the ls2 is a good race mod for mod the lt's shouldnt give him two cars. maybe he out drove you a little too? The t/a is about right if he had a tune to help out with shift times and torque management I think it would have been a little worse. My buddy has a full bolt on ws6 and when my z was just a full bolt on ls1 with the gears it would be a dead nuts race with us as long as my auto was in a good roll spot.
Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

I was waiting for someone to say this. And hell the mn12 isnt a huge improvement first gear is 2.97 instead of 2.66....amazing
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a hundred percent sure this was not an LT1 trans am it was a blacked out trans am ram air with red patches on his hood... I know my cars ive been racing cars for at least the past 6 years and attend the track atleast 2wice a month thnx though

I have a hard time believing an lt1 will hang with any ls1 gto mod for mod my friend had an lt1 camaro with bolt ons...i c them at the track run 14's to mid 13's on slicks all the time..like I said im no rookie driver...i run 13.2's on street tires in 90° weather in my ls1 goat...thats easy 12 on slicks and cooler weather prob not gonna happen in your lt1 just saying
Damn...I wish you were in Florida.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say that is almost on target while the ls2 is a good race mod for mod the lt's shouldnt give him two cars. maybe he out drove you a little too? The t/a is about right if he had a tune to help out with shift times and torque management I think it would have been a little worse. My buddy has a full bolt on ws6 and when my z was just a full bolt on ls1 with the gears it would be a dead nuts race with us as long as my auto was in a good roll spot.

yea at the time I had the stock shifter() and i hadnt raced that much. So im sure it was driver mod aswell. Dont know if Nittos made a difference on his car, and i had bfg KDWs that were riding like plastic at 40% on. Still I need improvement on shifting and how to shift and when to shift... Anyone feel like giving me lessons.

As far as i know the T/A is un-tuned, i told the guy to get a shift kit and he would be super happy. Kool kid though. Did have a few runs at lower gear range were i made him pay lol 3.43s and a M6 lol, but he would pull me slowly at higher rolls...
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by redbird555
I was waiting for someone to say this. And hell the mn12 isnt a huge improvement first gear is 2.97 instead of 2.66....amazing
PSM had one in his Z28. Great at the drag strip, but the big gap between 3rd and 4th gear didn't make it too good from a roll.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

I prefer the MN6 over the MN12. Primarily because it's a little better around a roadcourse (IMO) because of the more even gearing.

The 3 to 4 drop off (like SRZ mentioned) is pretty shitty.
Also, there is less of a gap between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in the MN6, vs the 12.
The MN12 can be better on high speed courses due to it's 5th gear though (unless you want to go over 168mph).

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 07-19-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

This thread makes my ******* brain hurt.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody know how to post vids here im not to sure...I have a vid racing a stage 2 sti I'd like to post....b4 my tune and few other mods..just a fun run to give a lil point of view how my gto runs..This threads giving me a headache..
Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
sorry man I'll buy the fact that you did beat the t/a and hell it may have even been 2 cars but the t/a either had a terrible driver that was in a dead spot or the car was running like crap. an ls2 gto is a drivers race for an fbody an ls1 car even a modded one such as yours should be a dead heat with a stock fbody providing the guy was a decent driver and didnt have his a4 in a dead spot.

Lmao dude wtf..r u serious... I dont care how many excuses u come up with...we went at it several times...stock auto ta's down here run 13.4ish...I clearly stated I run 13.2 burning hopping through 2nd. Thats more than enough to justify a 2 car deficit..
Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
Damn...I wish you were in Florida.
Damn I wish u were in Tx....dude calm down ur cars r not that fast...The GTO is called a "goat" for a reason..Go ask your dad about GTO's maybe he'll give you a nice lil story...lmfao sorry I had 2...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

What's an M112 transmission?

You mean the M112 3.2 AMG V6 in the SRT Crossfire.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS

yea at the time I had the stock shifter() and i hadnt raced that much. So im sure it was driver mod aswell. Dont know if Nittos made a difference on his car, and i had bfg KDWs that were riding like plastic at 40% on. Still I need improvement on shifting and how to shift and when to shift... Anyone feel like giving me lessons.

As far as i know the T/A is un-tuned, i told the guy to get a shift kit and he would be super happy. Kool kid though. Did have a few runs at lower gear range were i made him pay lol 3.43s and a M6 lol, but he would pull me slowly at higher rolls...
Yeah bro that seems right for a ls2 stock tune weight GTO..kinda nice to c some one on here with a lil maturity trying to learn something new..as for earlier it was a mn12 tranny not m112 lmao...but once u get a feel for ur car and learn as u go you'll get better eventually..
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
What's an M112 transmission?

You mean the M112 3.2 AMG V6 in the SRT Crossfire.
lmao nah bro I meant the MN12 transmission in the z06 corvette..
Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Teching In

HOLY HELL this is still going on! stock auto trans am is a mid 13 sec car on a good day! idk why this is still happening. ID like to see that vid vs the sti. curious to see how ya run PBMGTO
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85mustang351
HOLY HELL this is still going on! stock auto trans am is a mid 13 sec car on a good day! idk why this is still happening. ID like to see that vid vs the sti. curious to see how ya run PBMGTO
Lmfao...yeah no crap...I dont mind posting it on a new thread. I forgot how this video posting thing goes for forums..
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Ive never posted a video on but im sure one of these kind folks would tell ya how.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lmao dude wtf..r u serious... I dont care how many excuses u come up with...we went at it several times...stock auto ta's down here run 13.4ish...I clearly stated I run 13.2 burning hopping through 2nd. Thats more than enough to justify a 2 car deficit..
I clearly stated I think your story is true. So idk what your all bent up about? But dont expect that outcome with a properly driven auto fbody. Btw 2 tenths is about 2 car lengths but thats also over the coarse of a 1/4 mile in a roll race where the distance is much shorter and both cars are at speed, theres no way in hell a 2 car race dude. There are plenty of guys on here that will race your m6 gto with their slow autos me being one of them.

@screaminredz: I've never looked at the 3-4 gear on those trannys my buddies in his t/a is about shot so I told him to look at the mn12 is it worth it in terms or 1/4 mile times or not really?

Maybe where you live at altitude thats common but in FL at sea level I see most auto fbody's doing mid 13's and its not uncommon to see a low 13 sec car usually those are 01-02 cars.