Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2004 pbm GTO vs Ram air Trans am..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
I clearly stated I think your story is true. So idk what your all bent up about? But dont expect that outcome with a properly driven auto fbody. Btw 2 tenths is about 2 car lengths but thats also over the coarse of a 1/4 mile in a roll race where the distance is much shorter and both cars are at speed, theres no way in hell a 2 car race dude. There are plenty of guys on here that will race your m6 gto with their slow autos me being one of them.

@screaminredz: I've never looked at the 3-4 gear on those trannys my buddies in his t/a is about shot so I told him to look at the mn12 is it worth it in terms or 1/4 mile times or not really?

Maybe where you live at altitude thats common but in FL at sea level I see most auto fbody's doing mid 13's and its not uncommon to see a low 13 sec car usually those are 01-02 cars.
Thats fine I'd gladly run them I never said they were slow autos.."Properly driven" How hard is it to drive an auto?? You stomp on the gas... lmao 2 car race?? yes DUDE I was there I witnessed it...

Last edited by PBMGTO; 07-19-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time...~~~~~~~ Thats my ricer talk...
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Teching In

I clearly stated I think your story is true. So idk what your all bent up about? But dont expect that outcome with a properly driven auto fbody. Btw 2 tenths is about 2 car lengths but thats also over the coarse of a 1/4 mile in a roll race where the distance is much shorter and both cars are at speed, theres no way in hell a 2 car race dude. There are plenty of guys on here that will race your m6 gto with their slow autos me being one of them.

@screaminredz: I've never looked at the 3-4 gear on those trannys my buddies in his t/a is about shot so I told him to look at the mn12 is it worth it in terms or 1/4 mile times or not really?

Maybe where you live at altitude thats common but in FL at sea level I see most auto fbody's doing mid 13's and its not uncommon to see a low 13 sec car usually those are 01-02 cars.
Im sure that it is a lot more common with the 01 02 ls6 intake cars, the earlier ones would struggle mightly to see low 13's. Certainly not saying that it hasnt been done a ton of times but for the most part they arent gonna do it. Throw some tires on there and a lid and voila low 13's but in true stock form mid 13's are def the norm. From a roll they have a couple of pretty big dead spots, especially if you dont know what you are doing with em.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Quick question tho my buddy has an a4 that seems to take 4ever to kick down, from a roll is he better to shift himself or let the tranny do it for him? 410 gears longtubes, x pipe untuned if that makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85mustang351
Quick question tho my buddy has an a4 that seems to take 4ever to kick down, from a roll is he better to shift himself or let the tranny do it for him? 410 gears longtubes, x pipe untuned if that makes a difference.
With tuning it's a little more manageable, otherwise you can't always be sure what will happen with an A4. When mine was stock I could floor it from 35 mph and 8 of 10 times it would shift into 1st just long enough to roar, spin the tires and shift. (Now it will do that every time) Other 2 times it would stay in 2nd and I would be furious. Still, manual shifting isnt the answer (just my opinion) from a roll because if it spins you will hit the rev limiter. Manual shifting makes sense from a dead stop or very slow roll because then if you spin so bad you have to let out, the car will still be in first. Do that in D and you'll be in 2nd or even 3rd and, of course, done.

The higher stall converter is a great mod for straight-line performance in an A4, but with tuning you can change upshift & downshift points for wide-open and part throttle, adjust shift firmness and disable the torque management. Even without a higher stall tuning helps a lot. In stock form our A4s can be kind of unpredictable and frustrating.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 AM

I believe it's worth something in the 1/4. PSM's car only made 408 rwhp and everyone told him it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Here's his best pass with the car (full weight, 4.10 gears, MT ET Streets). Keep in mind, this was a cold day at Atco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVCiIRMRWw
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
Thats fine I'd gladly run them I never said they were slow autos.."Properly driven" How hard is it to drive an auto?? You stomp on the gas... lmao 2 car race?? yes DUDE I was there I witnessed it...
How many time must I repeat myself that yes I have no doubt you beat the t/a by that much???? All I'm saying is that the driver probably sucked and had the auto in a dead spot. Because basically what your saying is you took a car that weighs 200-300lbs more with another 40whp and decimated the other car in a short roll race. And yes I say decimated because a 2 car lead in that short of a roll race is a beat down, much more that .2 over the length of a 1/4 mile.Btw it is very possible to screw up driving an auto.. For example launching it in a dead spot, not holding a gear during a roll race which would take the time of the car to downshift out of the equation, learning how to stab the gas from a dig without spinning...
Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I believe it's worth something in the 1/4. PSM's car only made 408 rwhp and everyone told him it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Here's his best pass with the car (full weight, 4.10 gears, MT ET Streets). Keep in mind, this was a cold day at Atco.
Idk how someone would say a 408whp car wont get out of its own way lol but ya that thing moves out real nice. Is it possible to just change the gear sets inside the t56 or would we need a whole mn12 case? I dont think we would though as both trannys are t56's
Originally Posted by 85mustang351
Im sure that it is a lot more common with the 01 02 ls6 intake cars, the earlier ones would struggle mightly to see low 13's. Certainly not saying that it hasnt been done a ton of times but for the most part they arent gonna do it. Throw some tires on there and a lid and voila low 13's but in true stock form mid 13's are def the norm. From a roll they have a couple of pretty big dead spots, especially if you dont know what you are doing with em.
Ya my 02 always edged out my buddies 98 when we were both stock not by much but every time we ran I could pull him. Mid 13's is very average and ya I agree with you most low 13 sec cars I have seen were 01-02's but just in case you dont already know 01-02 cars had the ls6 intake but they also had a smaller cam than 98-00 cars.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

How many time must I repeat myself that yes I have no doubt you beat the t/a by that much???? All I'm saying is that the driver probably sucked and had the auto in a dead spot. Because basically what your saying is you took a car that weighs 200-300lbs more with another 40whp and decimated the other car in a short roll race. And yes I say decimated because a 2 car lead in that short of a roll race is a beat down, much more that .2 over the length of a 1/4 mile.Btw it is very possible to screw up driving an auto.. For example launching it in a dead spot, not holding a gear during a roll race which would take the time of the car to downshift out of the equation, learning how to stab the gas from a dig without spinning...

Ya my 02 always edged out my buddies 98 when we were both stock not by much but every time we ran I could pull him. Mid 13's is very average and ya I agree with you most low 13 sec cars I have seen were 01-02's but just in case you dont already know 01-02 cars had the ls6 intake but they also had a smaller cam than 98-00 cars.
Also the 2001-2002 cars had better heads to make up for the smaller cam. 98-00 Big cam, not so good heads, ls1 intake= lol. Chevy High Performance or Camaro Performer magazine tested the LS6 intake manifold to increase power at the wheels from 17-23hp and 27-34lbs tq
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

LS6 intake will not get 17-23 RWHP LOL. On a mild car its worth maybe a tenth
Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

I doubt it...but your right half these kids on here are ridiculous..Im lmao as I write this. You sound like lil ricers...MY VTAK WILL BLOW YOURS AWAY...

OOOOOK.
My lowly A4 LT1 running a 12.5 in 86 degree weather and a 3500 DA must not be good enough to beat your almighty GTO. It would probably hurt your feelings to know how much I DON'T have done to the car.

Last edited by FlatBlackZ28; 07-20-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

And please, can you stop with the "My car would totally run 12's if I did this and this. All the guys in the magazine did it so I should too."

Run 12's and then repost.

As far as your original post, it was a good kill.

Concerning the rest of this thread, stop calling everyone a homo and using all this profanity. I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been locked and/or you haven't been banned.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Ill go back and re-read the article again if i find it. They were doing a ls1 build up, and testing out a couple different cams.they tried it with the ls6 first then moved on to the FAST 102mm set-up. Ill find it and scan it in as a document though. Was a good article regardless. They may have meant 17-23hp at the flywhell but i will check
Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
Also the 2001-2002 cars had better heads to make up for the smaller cam. 98-00 Big cam, not so good heads, ls1 intake= lol. Chevy High Performance or Camaro Performer magazine tested the LS6 intake manifold to increase power at the wheels from 17-23hp and 27-34lbs tq
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
See here we go gentlemen now we're starting to learn a few things..Im sure most of us knew this stuff but for the the ones who didnt....

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
And please, can you stop with the "My car would totally run 12's if I did this and this. All the guys in the magazine did it so I should too."

Run 12's and then repost.

As far as your original post, it was a good kill.

Concerning the rest of this thread, stop calling everyone a homo and using all this profanity. I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been locked and/or you haven't been banned.
Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
I doubt it...but your right half these kids on here are ridiculous..Im lmao as I write this. You sound like lil ricers...MY VTAK WILL BLOW YOURS AWAY...

OOOOOK.
My lowly A4 LT1 running a 12.5 in 86 degree weather and a 3500 DA must not be good enough to beat your almighty GTO. It would probably hurt your feelings to know how much I DON'T have done to the car.
I call .........I could see it with cam, bolt ons, tune...but let me guess your running TWIN VTAK just like the guy a few post back who supposedly runs 12.0 with a bolt on lt1... I say u and your other buddy produce timeslips or vids to prove or your banned..and if its true good for u. Oh and I didnt realize we lived in a comunist country...just for the record Ive murdered lt1's in my 88 fox son so how ya like that...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
I saw that article and I'm pretty sure it was at the flywheel which would be about 12hp at the wheels which is about what everyone gains. And about the heads, I'm waiting for someone to post flow numbers of the heads. The only difference between 853 and 241 heads is that the 241 heads are sand cast which produces a smoother casting its worth maybe 5 hp at best. I believe if they are actually a little faster its most likely the ls6 intake and the slightly better heads that overthrow the camshaft. Btw the fastest magazine time was clocked at 12.8 at 110 I believe was the trap? Anyway it was done in a 98 6spd.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

I saw that article and I'm pretty sure it was at the flywheel which would be about 12hp at the wheels which is about what everyone gains. And about the heads, I'm waiting for someone to post flow numbers of the heads. The only difference between 853 and 241 heads is that the 241 heads are sand cast which produces a smoother casting its worth maybe 5 hp at best. I believe if they are actually a little faster its most likely the ls6 intake and the slightly better heads that overthrow the camshaft. Btw the fastest magazine time was clocked at 12.8 at 110 I believe was the trap? Anyway it was done in a 98 6spd.
The difference between the 98-00 vs 01-02 cars is minimal. Both have been 12's stock by the same driver. The '98 going quicker/faster than the '01 actually.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

PBM, if I have time later ill get to my computer to post my most recent timeslip from a few days ago (Sunday to be exact, around 90 degrees). I'll also provide track information to allow you to confirm the DA. Congrats on your 88 fox that you probably don't have anymore. Ive destroyed plenty of fox bodies too. I'm talking about your GTO. Plain and simple your car runs 13's and almost every car on these boards, LS1 and LT1, will own you. Get over it.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 916 BREDWNR
The difference between the 98-00 vs 01-02 cars is minimal. Both have been 12's stock by the same driver. The '98 going quicker/faster than the '01 actually.
That's pretty much exactly what I said including the 98 magazine test being the quickest lol. I know though that the fastest car on dr's was an 02 ss doing 12.69 at 110.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

I remember a few years back when the 03 cobra came out mm & ff did a test with it and an 02 ss 6 speed and I wanna say evan smith did a 12.8 at like 110. pretty damn good.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Teching In

was not aware that they had a smaller cam. Why did they do that? Didnt they rate em a little higher anyway because of the intake?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
With tuning it's a little more manageable, otherwise you can't always be sure what will happen with an A4. When mine was stock I could floor it from 35 mph and 8 of 10 times it would shift into 1st just long enough to roar, spin the tires and shift. (Now it will do that every time) Other 2 times it would stay in 2nd and I would be furious. Still, manual shifting isnt the answer (just my opinion) from a roll because if it spins you will hit the rev limiter. Manual shifting makes sense from a dead stop or very slow roll because then if you spin so bad you have to let out, the car will still be in first. Do that in D and you'll be in 2nd or even 3rd and, of course, done.

The higher stall converter is a great mod for straight-line performance in an A4, but with tuning you can change upshift & downshift points for wide-open and part throttle, adjust shift firmness and disable the torque management. Even without a higher stall tuning helps a lot. In stock form our A4s can be kind of unpredictable and frustrating.
Cool. His definately has a mind of its own. It runs pretty strong but from a roll ive seen him lose a couple that he never should have because of that. Makes the races between us get pretty ugly from a roll.