Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Freak LT1, Its Official

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mississippi
All I have is a cai and airfoil and exhaust.
Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
a bone stock LS1 should not be able to beat a full bolt on LT1
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your friend needs to learn how to drive. I had a full exhaust/CAI 94 Formula, and a bone stock 2000 A4 Z28, and the Z28 pulled harder.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

All other things being equal (mileage, mechanical condition, transmission and driver) a bone stock LS1 should not be able to beat a full bolt on LT1 (assuming the right selection of parts. LS1's have a higher potential, but we already know that. We also know that the bolt on LT1 record is about 1.5 seconds faster than the stock LS1 record. I walked all over every single stock and bolt on LS1, m6 and a4 at the strip this week in my A4 LT1 with 110k. I have most of the bolt ons and a mismatched cam that I'm reving short of its peak. Flame me if you want, but apparently LS1's and LT1's run differently in Northwest PA and Northeast OH than they do everywhere else in the country. It doesn't take much work to outrun a stock LS1.
It takes much less to outrun a bolton LT1

Honestly, these cars are 15+ years old (LT1 even older), and we have no idea what mechanical condition they are in. Could it be that a well maintained LT1 with the worlds best Opti unit beat a stock LS1 in less than great mechanical shape??? Sure, anything can happen on the street. Driving skill, as already mentioned, can make or break a car - only ETs can prove whether someone can drive or not.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Ive beaten several ls1s and my car is only full exhaust and a pcm4less tune because i deleted my egr and air pump. Ive beaten them from rolls on the street and at the track. Where i run my car runs 8.9s on a hot night and most ls1s run 9.2-9.0. But that being said most lt1s only run 9.8-9.5 so i think my car is a freak as well since full exhaust isnt going to knock off almost a full second. Ive ran 8.9s with 2.2 60 foot times. My car is dropped 1.8 and has no susp mods so my rear is out of line plus my car only launches one of three ways either bogging, spinning street tires, or clutcj slipping on drs. I just got a umi dsl and adj torque arm to fix that and 4.10 gears and in the next couple weeks get lca reloc brackets and an adj panhard and try to get lower times. I have seen a three ls1s run 8.9-8.7 so as stated they arent all monsters, and all lt1s arent slow. Im not saying to anyone here that my car will beat yours or anything like that just putting numbers up and i have videos the only bad part about the videos is my camera blurs the times at the end but ive got timeslips to back them up. So far ive beaten 3 ls1 gtos, 1 ls2 gto, 2 ws6s, 2 z28s, and a ss. But ive been beaten by a ws6, 2 ss's, and a trans am so im definetely not talking **** lol i will admit ive been beaten.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Launching!

It maybe mechanical condition because my car is a 3 owner WELL maintained car. My buddy definitely can drive so everyone can just rule that out of their minds. Like I said, he's been doing this a LONG time. But it is possible that all these other cars are as mechanically sound as mine. Maybe I am just a damn good driver and don't know it. I just don't feel like I have the experience to say I'm a better driver than any of these guys. Maybe I should've bought an ls1 then I could really impress myself. Haha. No way though. I love LT1s. They sound better, last longer, and if I want more performance than this ole LT1 can offer, I'll drop in this 400sbc that's waiting to be unleashed. Heh heh.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
OP, Factory freak= Remove that word from your vocabulary dude, your car is no different than any of the other LT1's out there. There are many different variables and reasons as to why different races have the outcomes they do but I can tell you, that is not one of them.

Yeah, I can agree with that, your average driver at your local drag strip usually isn't going to knock off low 13's, high 12's with a stock LS1 F-Body like it's nothing. However, it has been proven that they're capable of running those times with the right driver so that's always something to consider. On the streets or even at the track, with your average everyday drivers, I can see a bolt-on LT1 being able to give a stock LS1 a run for it's money, sure. But then again, theoretically, we all know which one is truly the faster car at the end of the day.
Nobody is arguing that a stock LS1 isn't better than a stock LT1. We're talking modded LT car vs. stock LS car...not stock v. stock.

I would definately beg to differ that every 98-02 V8 fbody is a high 12 second car, and all the drivers just suck...there are some cars that can do it, but they are few and far between, and people need to realize that this performance is not the norm.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

werd.....i couldnt run my hugger to betterthen 13.4 stock.

just coudlnt do it......its so much easier to run the cobalt consistantly then the camaro ever was.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
***Repost Police***

All other things being equal (mileage, mechanical condition, transmission and driver) a bone stock LS1 should not be able to beat a full bolt on LT1 (assuming the right selection of parts. LS1's have a higher potential, but we already know that. We also know that the bolt on LT1 record is about 1.5 seconds faster than the stock LS1 record. I walked all over every single stock and bolt on LS1, m6 and a4 at the strip this week in my A4 LT1 with 110k. I have most of the bolt ons and a mismatched cam that I'm reving short of its peak. Flame me if you want, but apparently LS1's and LT1's run differently in Northwest PA and Northeast OH than they do everywhere else in the country. It doesn't take much work to outrun a stock LS1.
I don't see how that has any bearing whatsoever on this situation. We are not talking about a "full bolt on LT1," or ever one with a few decent mods. We are talking about this;
So I have to assume that I have a freak LT1 because I have now beaten 3 LS1 cars. All I have is a cai and airfoil and exhaust. My last LT1 was not this fast. Last night at Rivergate I raced a 99 WS6 with a 6 speed. I pulled on him out of the hole and kept him a car behind all the way down the track. I did this twice. And he is a very good driver. Thus normal?
Originally Posted by Badbird96
Ive beaten several ls1s and my car is only full exhaust and a pcm4less tune because i deleted my egr and air pump. Ive beaten them from rolls on the street and at the track. Where i run my car runs 8.9s on a hot night and most ls1s run 9.2-9.0. But that being said most lt1s only run 9.8-9.5 so i think my car is a freak as well since full exhaust isnt going to knock off almost a full second. Ive ran 8.9s with 2.2 60 foot times. My car is dropped 1.8 and has no susp mods so my rear is out of line plus my car only launches one of three ways either bogging, spinning street tires, or clutcj slipping on drs. I just got a umi dsl and adj torque arm to fix that and 4.10 gears and in the next couple weeks get lca reloc brackets and an adj panhard and try to get lower times. I have seen a three ls1s run 8.9-8.7 so as stated they arent all monsters, and all lt1s arent slow. Im not saying to anyone here that my car will beat yours or anything like that just putting numbers up and i have videos the only bad part about the videos is my camera blurs the times at the end but ive got timeslips to back them up. So far ive beaten 3 ls1 gtos, 1 ls2 gto, 2 ws6s, 2 z28s, and a ss. But ive been beaten by a ws6, 2 ss's, and a trans am so im definetely not talking **** lol i will admit ive been beaten.
WTF is the DA at your track?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Horrible lmao its the slowest track anywhere close to here. I havent been able to go to any better tracks yet as my car has developed problems but there is a track about 40 mins away and everybody ive talked supposedly dropped 4 tenths no matter what the car was.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Nobody is arguing that a stock LS1 isn't better than a stock LT1. We're talking modded LT car vs. stock LS car...not stock v. stock.

I would definately beg to differ that every 98-02 V8 fbody is a high 12 second car, and all the drivers just suck...there are some cars that can do it, but they are few and far between, and people need to realize that this performance is not the norm.
I'm not comparing a stock LT1 to a stock LS1, that isn't where I was going with my previous post. I was saying, that a bolt-on LT1 could for sure give a stock LS1 car a pretty good run for it's money out on the street, or even at the track with the average skilled driver. I mean, from what I've seen, the power that a lot of bolt-on LT1's make is actually pretty close to what a stock LS1 would put down. And to add, it's not like one weighs a ton more than the other. So with that, with the addition of everyday normal drivers, I think that it would be a pretty close race whether it's an M6 vs. M6, A4 vs. A4, but I have to give the edge to the LS1 if I had to choose a winner.

And I don't know what you mean, are you talking about factory stock LS1 cars? Let's say you have two very clean, well maintained, 98-02 F-Body's that are the same year, each are kept clean, each have about the same mileage and the same transmission/gearing, wouldn't they usually perform about the same? How are a select few stock cars able to run high 12's or low 13's or what have you, but some are not? What am I missing here?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

You can take say for instance two brand new zr1s off a dealership and one will out perform the other. Might be only a small difference but cars are usually never identical in performance which is why two cars modded the exact same will put down different numbers and run different times.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I used to have a freak LT1. It was a 93 with a 98-02 front end. Basic bolt on's. I think it was fast because it thought it was an LS1...
It sure did make the LS1 boys mad.

Back in the day...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDktQMdzVWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv2XCbubmpc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9fmptoj7UY
Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Lmao thats classic.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not comparing a stock LT1 to a stock LS1, that isn't where I was going with my previous post. I was saying, that a bolt-on LT1 could for sure give a stock LS1 car a pretty good run for it's money out on the street, or even at the track with the average skilled driver. I mean, from what I've seen, the power that a lot of bolt-on LT1's make is actually pretty close to what a stock LS1 would put down. And to add, it's not like one weighs a ton more than the other. So with that, with the addition of everyday normal drivers, I think that it would be a pretty close race whether it's an M6 vs. M6, A4 vs. A4, but I have to give the edge to the LS1 if I had to choose a winner.

And I don't know what you mean, are you talking about factory stock LS1 cars? Let's say you have two very clean, well maintained, 98-02 F-Body's that are the same year, each are kept clean, each have about the same mileage and the same transmission/gearing, wouldn't they usually perform about the same? How are a select few stock cars able to run high 12's or low 13's or what have you, but some are not? What am I missing here?
From what I've seen for the most part, the 12 second freak cars are usually late 01 or 02 models. It definitely seems that the later cars had some better performers in the group.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Street racing some cars at a meet is a **** poor way to judge a car's potential in terms of ET etc... Engine temp,mechanical tune,driver ability/reaction,who gets the kick,tire pressure,traction,gas level in the tank etc... can make a much slower car much more competitve
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
From what I've seen for the most part, the 12 second freak cars are usually late 01 or 02 models. It definitely seems that the later cars had some better performers in the group.
Yeah, for sure, they're faster than the 98-00's for different reasons other than being "freaks" though. The 01-02's might be a tad bit faster because of the little changes that were made from the earlier model years. For example, the LS6 intake. It's been proven to show gains over the stock LS1 intake on both modded and stock applications. That could play a role, along with the other little changes that were made of as well of course.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skrilla
i used to have a freak lt1. it was a 93 with a 98-02 front end. Basic bolt on's. I think it was fast because it thought it was an ls1... it sure did make the ls1 boys mad.

Back in the day...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdktqmdzvww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv2xcbubmpc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9fmptoj7uy
rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

It doesn't take a full bolt-on LT1 to run with a stock LS1. Take a 6-speed LT1vette and give it 1.6rrs, an SLP cai and a cat-back. The #s will be pretty close afterwards.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...ack/index.html

It is a little pricey for bolt-ons, but it's a vette. It's gonna cost you.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

It maybe mechanical condition because my car is a 3 owner WELL maintained car. My buddy definitely can drive so everyone can just rule that out of their minds. Like I said, he's been doing this a LONG time. But it is possible that all these other cars are as mechanically sound as mine. Maybe I am just a damn good driver and don't know it. I just don't feel like I have the experience to say I'm a better driver than any of these guys. Maybe I should've bought an ls1 then I could really impress myself. Haha. No way though. I love LT1s. They sound better, last longer, and if I want more performance than this ole LT1 can offer, I'll drop in this 400sbc that's waiting to be unleashed. Heh heh.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on a few parts. The sound is all opinion, I like to think the LS1 sounds better, but that's just my opinion.

It is a pretty widely known fact that the LS1 is much easier to work on, gets better fuel economy, has more potential, and on average, lasts longer and is easier to maintain than an LT1.

In reality the LS1 is better than the LT1 in every way, LT1 was a predecessor. When GM went in and built the LS1 they were looking to improve on the LT1 platform in every way, and they did.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Yeah, for sure, they're faster than the 98-00's for different reasons other than being "freaks" though. The 01-02's might be a tad bit faster because of the little changes that were made from the earlier model years. For example, the LS6 intake. It's been proven to show gains over the stock LS1 intake on both modded and stock applications. That could play a role, along with the other little changes that were made of as well of course.
The 2001 and 2002 models did receive the LS6 manifold intake, which was a valuable performance addition. Also notable, the cam in the 2001 and 2002 models was revised, they put the LQ4 out of the 6.0 inside the LS1 engines. This new cam, from what I understand, produced more low end torque and mid range torque than the previous LS1 cam.

the fuel injectors were also revised, newer more efficient ones were installed.

Other smaller things, were improved suspension, larger fuel tank, etc.

Quick Reply: Freak LT1, Its Official