Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Freak LT1, Its Official

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freak LT1, Its Official

So I have to assume that I have a freak LT1 because I have now beaten 3 LS1 cars. All I have is a cai and airfoil and exhaust. My last LT1 was not this fast. Last night at Rivergate I raced a 99 WS6 with a 6 speed. I pulled on him out of the hole and kept him a car behind all the way down the track. I did this twice. And he is a very good driver. Thus normal?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

What year? A4 or M6? How can you be sure that's all the car has done to it?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I like cowboy stories too.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the ls1's need the driver mod. there really arent any factory "freaks" nowadays thanks to modern machining tolerances. if you really do have a freak then get some track numbers to back it up and peope will take it more seriously. if you are beating stock ls1's like that your car should be doing LOW 13's to high 12's at over 107 which is doubtful imo.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Launching!

I have a buddy w a 97 same mods Oa that only lost to a cam/intake ls1 car from a roll. The cam car is a 224 car with a shitty driver but still. His car can beat stock ls1s. I'm puzzled by this
Old 08-14-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Video proof or it's b.s.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LT powerband is more forgiving. Driver has everything to do with it in comparisons like this...
Old 08-14-2011, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

unless im missing something, u went to the track but didnt tell us your times?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by hugger1975
unless im missing something, u went to the track but didnt tell us your times?
The clocks was broke so he didn't get a slip.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Timeslips or dyno sheets would make it more "official" than random races. Good kills though.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Rivergate is not a track. Rivergate is a street race meet. I've only had the car for a month and I havent taken it to the track yet. (Memphis Motor Speedway is just now opening up again) Maybe the first two ls cars needed a driver mod, but the one I raced last night was driven by my buddy thats been driving and racing longer than most of us have been alive. He just bought the car (99 m6 ws6 bone stock) and he definitely knows how to drive it. Doesnt matter if anyone believes it or not. Just looking for similar situations or stories. I know that ls1's are better motors and blah blah blah. I just like lt1's and I think I've got real stout car. Its much faster than any of the other lt1's I've ever owned. I need to get it to the track and see what it can do. And another reason I think I have some freak LT1 is because all the other stock LT1's I've raced at Rivergate I have beat. Maybe it is driver. Mine is an M6 but I'm no amazing stick shift driver. I've literally been driving a manual for 3 months. So I've pretty much ruled out driver ability on my part. I'm just not that good.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Mississippi
Rivergate is not a track. Rivergate is a street race meet. I've only had the car for a month and I havent taken it to the track yet. (Memphis Motor Speedway is just now opening up again) Maybe the first two ls cars needed a driver mod, but the one I raced last night was driven by my buddy thats been driving and racing longer than most of us have been alive. He just bought the car (99 m6 ws6 bone stock) and he definitely knows how to drive it. Doesnt matter if anyone believes it or not. Just looking for similar situations or stories. I know that ls1's are better motors and blah blah blah. I just like lt1's and I think I've got real stout car. Its much faster than any of the other lt1's I've ever owned. I need to get it to the track and see what it can do. And another reason I think I have some freak LT1 is because all the other stock LT1's I've raced at Rivergate I have beat. Maybe it is driver. Mine is an M6 but I'm no amazing stick shift driver. I've literally been driving a manual for 3 months. So I've pretty much ruled out driver ability on my part. I'm just not that good.
Takes more mods than you have for an LT1 to legitimately outrun an LS1. But most people don't know how to drive their cars as well as they, or other people, imagine they can.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had 3 LT1's and 2 LS1's and no matter how much i hated it i would get beat by LS1 cars all the time. I did better with some but the top end of the LS1 always pulled on me. I did run into one LT1 when i had my 01 SS, he had full bolt ons and small cam he said, also had a pasenger and was able to stay on my rear bumper to about 130-135mph, trust me at the time i didnt know his mods when we were racing and was shocked that it was that close. When we came to a light he told me his mods and i felt a TAD better lol. My 01 SS had exhaust cut out, K&N filter and SLP Lid thats all.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^Approved by chaman.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not all LS1 fbody's are low 13 second/high 12 second cars like everyone acts like...in fact, most stockers I see around here are mid 13 second cars. LT1's can be mid 13's no problems with a few bolt ons, so I don't see why a bolt on LT1 vs. a stock LS1 car could be a driver's race...

Street racing I have beaten several stock LS1's over the last several years with DR's, CAI, 1.6RR, and full exhaust...

flame suit on...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Not all LS1 fbody's are low 13 second/high 12 second cars like everyone acts like...in fact, most stockers I see around here are mid 13 second cars. LT1's can be mid 13's no problems with a few bolt ons, so I don't see why a bolt on LT1 vs. a stock LS1 car could be a driver's race...

Street racing I have beaten several stock LS1's over the last several years with DR's, CAI, 1.6RR, and full exhaust...

flame suit on...
i agree...and i am stock throttle body to oil pan and i whoop LS1's... i 60' 1.7 and i run 12.7 and i have slips....then i turn the spray on and go into the 11's....and most of them around here (unless modded) run mid 13's....i dont think its a freak car but LT1's arent to be slept on either....

Last edited by biggriff; 08-14-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, Factory freak= Remove that word from your vocabulary dude, your car is no different than any of the other LT1's out there. There are many different variables and reasons as to why different races have the outcomes they do but I can tell you, that is not one of them.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

flame suit on...
Yeah, I can agree with that, your average driver at your local drag strip usually isn't going to knock off low 13's, high 12's with a stock LS1 F-Body like it's nothing. However, it has been proven that they're capable of running those times with the right driver so that's always something to consider. On the streets or even at the track, with your average everyday drivers, I can see a bolt-on LT1 being able to give a stock LS1 a run for it's money, sure. But then again, theoretically, we all know which one is truly the faster car at the end of the day.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If by Rivergate you mean Presidents Island in Memphis? Ive owned both and believe me its all about the driver, unless the LS1 is running on 7 cylinders. If you are pulling an LS1 car by a car switch cars and you will pull your LT1 car by 3.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

IBTL!!! Haha! It's funny because People still make these threads....
Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
OP, Factory freak= Remove that word from your vocabulary dude, your car is no different than any of the other LT1's out there. There are many different variables and reasons as to why different races have the outcomes they do but I can tell you, that is not one of them.

Yeah, I can agree with that, your average driver at your local drag strip usually isn't going to knock off low 13's, high 12's with a stock LS1 F-Body like it's nothing. However, it has been proven that they're capable of running those times with the right driver so that's always something to consider. On the streets or even at the track, with your average everyday drivers, I can see a bolt-on LT1 being able to give a stock LS1 a run for it's money, sure. But then again, theoretically, we all know which one is truly the faster car at the end of the day.
All other things being equal (mileage, mechanical condition, transmission and driver) a bone stock LS1 should not be able to beat a full bolt on LT1 (assuming the right selection of parts. LS1's have a higher potential, but we already know that. We also know that the bolt on LT1 record is about 1.5 seconds faster than the stock LS1 record. I walked all over every single stock and bolt on LS1, m6 and a4 at the strip this week in my A4 LT1 with 110k. I have most of the bolt ons and a mismatched cam that I'm reving short of its peak. Flame me if you want, but apparently LS1's and LT1's run differently in Northwest PA and Northeast OH than they do everywhere else in the country. It doesn't take much work to outrun a stock LS1.

Quick Reply: Freak LT1, Its Official