Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Yeti
Stock is stock, and I can drive the hell out of my car. After 100 passes at the track on my 245 hankook v12 street tires and about and an uncountable amount of street races I will beat every stock srt8 regardless of the driver. Even if they take a slight hit like the guy I just raced the other night.

We are going to have to keep in touch bro because I promise I will make it down to LA for us to run.
its all in good fun what area are you in? bay area?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by elmarro
Well he sold the car cause it was to slow !! 425 vs 364 HP now that's bad !!! But don't get me wrong I love srt-8 cars!!
So you beat his stock SRT8 in your stock G8 GT?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

I know that silver car quite well in the vids...

My 12.715 @ 111.06 run was at a DA between 1286 & 1689 per the DA calculator on dragtimes.

8.232 @ 87.29mph in the 1/8th. I'm looking at the timeslip

The Yeti has yet to trap that high and Ike, what are your 1/8th times? By the way Ike, you're late to the game vs. SRT-8s. With similar Mods a now-record holder (H/C/stall etc) with a red SRT-8 ran nearly identical (but a hair slower) than me.

The problem with the G8 is hitting 4th well before the timing lights vs. the SRT-8 staying the the meat of 3rd from 80ish past the finish line.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I know of bluegoat06 from the G8 forums. We have talked track stuff before. Our cars are kind of similar, but with the exception that I have a huge VCM OTR intake which is proven to make much more power than the rotofab. Especially when the ram air effect kicks in. I know because I swapped rotofab for the VCM and Ran PBs in MPH and nearly ET in DA that was +2000 of my best with the rotofab. I also have a ported intake manifold to make use of that extra air flow, and finally long tube headers for me. His headers are essentially shorties with highflow cats. While they make good power on the G8, none of the fastest bolt on G8's are running Kooks mid Headers. Everyone is running long tubs. The Kooks mids are a nice sleeper mod for smog though as they allow cats to remain near there stock location.

While I run on a street tire not known for its straight line traction, at least they are ultra high performance street tires. Bluegoat06 is running on an all season tire and still putting down really strong numbers.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I know that silver car quite well in the vids...

My 12.715 @ 111.06 run was at a DA between 1286 & 1689 per the DA calculator on dragtimes.

8.232 @ 87.29mph in the 1/8th. I'm looking at the timeslip

The Yeti has yet to trap that high and Ike, what are your 1/8th times? By the way Ike, you're late to the game vs. SRT-8s. With similar Mods a now-record holder (H/C/stall etc) with a red SRT-8 ran nearly identical (but a hair slower) than me.

The problem with the G8 is hitting 4th well before the timing lights vs. the SRT-8 staying the the meat of 3rd from 80ish past the finish line.

I'm always late to the party... Maybe if I got a custom tune with race gas I'll do better...
I probably won't ever trap 110 or 111 with my gears since my car holds third and bangs the rev limiter through the traps I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to our gearing. Really hurts us GT's, unlike the GXP's that don't have these crappy 2.92 gears. Then again I have yet to see a intake/tune, bolt on SRT8 trap any higher than 108s at infineon so I can't be too far off. I'm not saying it hasn't happened. I'm just saying when I have ran there I have never seen it happen in my 5 visits this year. I always hang with the mopar crowd at the track. No thy enemy.

Unfortunately I can't find all my timeslips, but this is my eighth from the last time I was there. This run the DA was 1298 and there was an awful head wind as usual...

1/8th 8.385@85.58

Not all that great. I've got a couple other slips from the last few months.

1/8th 8.357@87.45
1/8th 8.286@85.19
1/8th 8.350@86.03
1/8th 8.391@87.07
1/8th 8.350@86.03

Times are all over the place. I had a bunch of other slips that were 8.3s@105s and lower depending on the weather some were really bad lol.

Last edited by The Yeti; 09-11-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like you're dead-even with a 400-410rwhp SRT-8 except for that 4th gear.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Looks like you're dead-even with a 400-410rwhp SRT-8 except for that 4th gear.
I'm thinking I have an excellent shot at a 12.7 or a very high 12.6 come fall and winter. My latest DA corrected times put me at 12.70Xs with the new intake, where as before with the rotofab I only had one single time ever have a corrected factor of 12.79.

I have a new strategy for getting my car to actually shift into 4th at the track now instead of hanging third and killing my time. I'll know for sure if it works in Oct when I get some new Hankook tires.

Yeah that 4th gear sucks for the 1/4 mile. If the stock stall wasn't so ridiculously low, or the 2.92 gears so boo boo 4th gear would be all good. I believe the G8 GT's 4th gear ratio is 1.15 which is solid, it is just that the 2.92s and the low 1200rpm stall really hold it back.

Once you get back into your power band in fourth things get better.

Last edited by The Yeti; 09-11-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with these guys. I haven't seen any good traps from the srt crowd at infineon. I watched a charger on slicks/skinnies with a supercharger and nitrous only run a 10.8 at 127. Doesn't seem very good to me.

The fastest I have saw from a bolt on srt8 car was 12.9 at 106. I will never believe a bolt on srt8 can trap 110+ at infineon. I can guarantee that I won't see that happen.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by The Yeti
I'm thinking I have an excellent shot at a 12.7 or a very high 12.6 come fall and winter. My latest DA corrected times put me at 12.70Xs with the new intake, where as before with the rotofab I only had one single time ever have a corrected factor of 12.79.

I have a new strategy for getting my car to actually shift into 4th at the track now instead of hanging third and killing my time. I'll know for sure if it works in Oct when I get some new Hankook tires.

Yeah that 4th gear sucks for the 1/4 mile. If the stock stall wasn't so ridiculously low, or the 2.92 gears so boo boo 4th gear would be all good. I believe the G8 GT's 4th gear ratio is 1.15 which is solid, it is just that the 2.92s and the low 1200rpm stall really hold it back.

Once you get back into your power band in fourth things get better.
YOu should have no issue running a 12.7. I did it with less mods t hen you. I didn't have a Ported intake or throttle body. Get stall in that thing though. That was my next step. Stall is dropping .4-.6 in the G8's.

Georgeinpa, Devilish and few others went 12.1 in there G8's with bolt ons and a stall.

Also why not looked at a camaro diff yet for the 3.45 gears? It is a direct bolt in. I had one in my garage up until I decided to get rid of the G8. Along with everything for a cam dod delete.

I miss the G8 sometimes. The look on a camaro or mustang face when you spank that *** in a 4dr was always great.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
YOu should have no issue running a 12.7. I did it with less mods t hen you. I didn't have a Ported intake or throttle body. Get stall in that thing though. That was my next step. Stall is dropping .4-.6 in the G8's.

Georgeinpa, Devilish and few others went 12.1 in there G8's with bolt ons and a stall.

Also why not looked at a camaro diff yet for the 3.45 gears? It is a direct bolt in. I had one in my garage up until I decided to get rid of the G8. Along with everything for a cam dod delete.

I miss the G8 sometimes. The look on a camaro or mustang face when you spank that *** in a 4dr was always great.
Infineon Raceway is not friendly to the big cars out here. Always a lot of headwind so us more aerodynamically challenged dont tend to run what some do at other tracks.

I've been looking into a gear swap. Just waiting until the price is right. Considering that I auto X my car and enjoy the twisties a stall isn't the right application for me right now. Unless it is a baby stall with excellent manners.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

just do the the 3.45s or A6 GXP gears, cam, and do some DR's go for 11s!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
just do the the 3.45s or A6 GXP gears, cam, and do some DR's go for 11s!
I just put an offer on some camaro 3.27s as we speak. Should be a nice compromise between daily driving and track. The auto camaro rear end is a 3.27 just like the auto GXP, but it is a little more beefy. Got my fingers crossed on this one.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
I ran a member on here his name is BlueGoat06 his mods are

Rotofab CAI | Kooks 1 7/8 Mid Headers w/cats | Magnaflow X Pipe | Magnapack Mufflers | Hptuners VCM Pro 2.23 | AEM Uego WB | Street Tuned

straight from his sig hes a really cool guy hes at the 1/8th almost everytime im there he can vouch for my car we have ran about 5 times. His best is a 8.3@86 mine is a 8.2@88
Pretty good times for full size tanks with conventional street tires

We should get together one of this days in Mexico streets, and make a couple of runs from a dig and from a roll to see how both cars fair against each other on video.

I would expect your car to beat mine from a roll, and i'd expect mine to beat yours from a dig. I know you have a couple of videos already with our cars running side by side at Irwindale showing this
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill Ike! I think I saw that same Charger on HWY4 and by the sound of it (If it was the same SRT8) It sure as hell didn't sound stock.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

No stock is not stock. Ive seen SRT8's go at it that are stock and another comes out on top its all about the driver the littlest things make a huge difference with these cars and I learned that fast. When I was stock I got beat by a light bolt on LS1. I then learned about holding a gear using auto stick and how to turn ESP fully off. I ran the same car that beat me and beat it by a car its not just press the gas and go you have to know the powerband of these cars and what mph to roll race at or it will get killed.

And in response to your second comment about getting spanked by every g8 friend you have not if they have the same mods as you .

I run at irwindale the 1/8th. Best time is 8.2@88 on 22" wheels with my current mods. If i put the stockers back on and some DR's who knows what it mite do but I felt the loss immediately when I got the 22's but they dont hold me back from beating G8's
Interesting because it looks like Mannyman was still faster than your SRT8 even holding a gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paT6-...layer_embedded
Old 09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's one of many vids you posted of your battles with him
Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlueGoat06
Pretty good times for full size tanks with conventional street tires

We should get together one of this days in Mexico streets, and make a couple of runs from a dig and from a roll to see how both cars fair against each other on video.

I would expect your car to beat mine from a roll, and i'd expect mine to beat yours from a dig. I know you have a couple of videos already with our cars running side by side at Irwindale showing this
Sounds good to me man just let me know ill bring the camera Im actually trying to find those 3 videos as we speak I have like 300+ on my hard drive.

Last edited by NiteRiderWS6; 09-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Interesting because it looks like Mannyman was still faster than your SRT8 even holding a gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paT6-...layer_embedded
On that particular video my 3rd gear stuck because I let it go to far in autostick thats why i dropped back. Plus I wasn't tuned in that video with the predator 91 Octane CAI Tune alone I picked up 3 mph in the 1/8th All cars run different thats why I said it depends because ive raced other LS1 cars with his mods and killed them. I also ran a member on here from a roll in his 350rwhp full bolt on LS1 and he had maybe a fender on me at most.

After I got the tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqacI4KhJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebw4YPxgO7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR43pC9Bpw
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

On that particular video my 3rd gear stuck because I let it go to far in autostick thats why i dropped back. Plus I wasn't tuned in that video with the predator 91 Octane CAI Tune alone I picked up 3 mph in the 1/8th All cars run different thats why I said it depends because ive raced other LS1 cars with his mods and killed them. I also ran a member on here from a roll in his 350rwhp full bolt on LS1 and he had maybe a fender on me at most.

After I got the tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqacI4KhJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebw4YPxgO7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR43pC9Bpw
You're definitely right about all cars running different.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Teching In

LS1 cars are the best example

Heres some good videos
My 01 M6 WS6: Lid, Catback, Cutout
vs
02 SS: Full Bolt ons, Gears, M6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIeQZ7gr68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIkNvbjb2A

Heres an old video of my 00 A4 WS6 vs a Z28 and another WS6 with the same mods watch the last race at the end and look how the Z28 pulls on us both. only difference was his is an 02 with the LS6 intake

http://www.streetfire.net/video/batt...s6s_199748.htm

Quick Reply: Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT