Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill!

I have very limited experience with SRT-8's, but there was an automatic Charger at the track last time I was there. We both had cold air, catback (axleback for me), and a tune, and he was running 1 tenth and 1 mph faster than me.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill!

I have very limited experience with SRT-8's, but there was an automatic Charger at the track last time I was there. We both had cold air, catback (axleback for me), and a tune, and he was running 1 tenth and 1 mph faster than me.
Thanks. Get LT's and you will drop 3-5 tenths and gain 3-4mph. He will never know what hit em
Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
LS1 cars are the best example

Heres some good videos
My 01 M6 WS6: Lid, Catback, Cutout
vs
02 SS: Full Bolt ons, Gears, M6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIeQZ7gr68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIkNvbjb2A

Heres an old video of my 00 A4 WS6 vs a Z28 and another WS6 with the same mods watch the last race at the end and look how the Z28 pulls on us both. only difference was his is an 02 with the LS6 intake

http://www.streetfire.net/video/batt...s6s_199748.htm
Having a better flowing Intake manifold will make a big difference. I know having my intake manifold ported gave me a bit of a bump in throttle response and above 4k rpm.

Also if there is any difference in gearing between your cars that could help him out as well.

If you have a passenger and he doesn't then that extra weight will cost you.

Finally if his tuner is better than yours, well he may make a little more power. Not all tuners are created equal that is for sure.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Yeti
Thanks. Get LT's and you will drop 3-5 tenths and gain 3-4mph. He will never know what hit em
Just got my American Racing Headers on a couple of weeks ago actually! Haven't had the chance to get to the track again yet, but the headers and an underdrive pulley gained me 28 rwhp on the dyno. Also, I raced a couple of cars that previously beat me by a car and now I pull them about a car
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Just got my American Racing Headers on a couple of weeks ago actually! Haven't had the chance to get to the track again yet, but the headers and an underdrive pulley gained me 28 rwhp on the dyno. Also, I raced a couple of cars that previously beat me by a car and now I pull them about a car
My bad, I didn't even look at your signature. Can't wait to see your new track times. UDP is on my list to do if my rear diff purchase falls through.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm going to settle in with the mods I have for a while so I can get back to working on my Z28, but once I start again, a 3.45 rear from a new Camaro is first on my list. I haven't been paying attention to see what people are gaining at the track from the swap, but it's gotta be worth it based on how doggy the car is off the line with the crappy stock gearing.

I have very few complaints about the car, but GM's efforts to improve gas mileage is top of the list. I would gladly give up a few mpg for the 40 hp gain from ditching the DOD and a 3.23 gear stock.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I agree with these guys. I haven't seen any good traps from the srt crowd at infineon. I watched a charger on slicks/skinnies with a supercharger and nitrous only run a 10.8 at 127. Doesn't seem very good to me.

The fastest I have saw from a bolt on srt8 car was 12.9 at 106. I will never believe a bolt on srt8 can trap 110+ at infineon. I can guarantee that I won't see that happen.
You're obviously not there often enough and late to the party.

Non-tune cars have trapped 107mph. My first run with a canned tune was 109mph. My runs stock were a lowly 103.5mph heat soaked, head wind, etc.

But on 6/8/2008 in 1300-1700 DA, dyno tuned, race gas, 12.7 @ 111 & 12.8 @ 111.48 mph

Others have done it as well. I've raced a couple of bolt-on GTOs there and trapped higher than them too.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

then they couldnt drive, because ls1rob has trapped 110 in a ls1 ws6 with headers and lid no tune at infineon
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

So are Mopars the new Mustangs around here?

Every time someone beats one we get to have a 20 page thread full of bench racing and youtube contests?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Non-tune cars have trapped 107mph. My first run with a canned tune was 109mph. My runs stock were a lowly 103.5mph heat soaked, head wind, etc.

But on 6/8/2008 in 1300-1700 DA, dyno tuned, race gas, 12.7 @ 111 & 12.8 @ 111.48 mph

Others have done it as well. I've raced a couple of bolt-on GTOs there and trapped higher than them too.
I dunno man. Maybe the fact that you had a custom dyno tune with what 101 octane gas and some really sticky street tires makes a huge difference because the two cammed SRT8's I see run there a few times have never trapped as high as you did. I think your 103.5mph runs are pretty telling. It is hard for me to imagine how you could pick up 8mph with a tune unless you had some really good conditions on your side. Maybe a rare 10mph tail wind vs the head wind that is there 99% of the time? I think the fuel you were using with your custom dyno tune just put you way ahead of what all the others that run there are doing with 91 octane because you trapped 3mph higher than every SRT8 I have ever seen run there.

BayareaSS is infineon almost every week it seems lol so I wouldn't discredit his experiences right away.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Every time someone beats one we get to have a 20 page thread full of bench racing and youtube contests?

Sure why not. We are comparing 2 sedans of equal size and performance. I don't see what the big deal is. Only 16 more pages to reach our goal of 20!

Last edited by The Yeti; 09-12-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Yeah, that's up with that?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I dunno man. Maybe the fact that you had a custom dyno tune with what 101 octane gas and some really sticky street tires makes a huge difference because the two cammed SRT8's I see run there a few times have never trapped as high as you did. I think your 103.5mph runs are pretty telling. It is hard for me to imagine how you could pick up 8mph with a tune unless you had some really good conditions on your side. Maybe a rare 10mph tail wind vs the head wind that is there 99% of the time? I think the fuel you were using with your custom dyno tune just put you way ahead of what all the others that run there are doing with 91 octane because you trapped 3mph higher than every SRT8 I have ever seen run there.

BayareaSS is infineon almost every week it seems lol so I wouldn't discredit his experiences right away.
There is more to it than that.

Heatsoak kills the trap speed by maybe 3mph.

The 2-3 start-up diagnostic shift is rampant at Sears Point because of the short distance from the staging lanes to the launch pad. That is maybe 2-3 mph right there.

2.0x 60fts puts all of them in the low 13s, trap speeds all over the place.

Pulling fuse #11 and then replacing it resets the TM and helps with the shifting too.

So before the tune with I/E I was running 13.3s @ 106.6+ mph

Canned tune on 4/10/08 a 12.822 @ 109.17mph. The revised shifting into 2nd and 3rd picks up like 3 tenths.

The same day I put down multiple 110/111mph passes - I rolled up on my 91octane tune, heat soaked, no prep and ran a 13.1 @ 105.27 mph. That same tune on the street, nice and cool sitting at a light or rolling, no 2-3 start-up shift to worry about, would beat bolt-on LS1s (and your car - lol!). That is how frustrating the car was at the dragstrip.

Budoboy was running nearly identical times as me. I've seen a cooled down stock SRT-8 I/E trap 107mph there too.

You friends with the cams - they need to restore their rev limiter back to stock (effectively changing their gearing, no?), ditch the the larger throttle body for a stock one and get re-tuned. They should be 110-115mph range given the variences on any given night. Their peak hp #s may look good but I bet my old car would embarrass them rolling anywhere from 4000rpm.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

I've been going up there on a regular basis for the last few years. I'm sure I've been there more times in the last 6 months then you have ever. And fyi bolt on gto's at infineon are slow as **** and don't trap over 107 lol. Maybe your race gas helped that much but I doubt it. My friend had a lighlty modded and tuned 300 srt8. He made 400 to the wheels and only could trap 106. Like I said, I will never see an srt8 trap 110+ with bolt ons at infineon. Do you have a vid of your 111mph run?

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
then they couldnt drive, because ls1rob has trapped 110 in a ls1 ws6 with headers and lid no tune at infineon
I agree most people can't drive for ****. Rob actually trapped 111 at infineon on a 90 degree day. His car runs how a bolt on fbody should and he drives it well.

We are on the same page when it comes to this debate. And you know How much racing experience I have.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that's up with that?
mopars get moar butthurt when they lose
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Good stuff guys....
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Teching In

mopars get moar butthurt when they lose
Not really just alot of guys with "Slower" cars downplay SRT8's
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

no one is down playing them just stating how they seem to run around here. i like them but thinking a stock one would beat him when hes beat plenty of modded ones or go 12.8 is a joke. but wat do i know im just have a slow car
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Teching In

no one is down playing them just stating how they seem to run around here. i like them but thinking a stock one would beat him when hes beat plenty of modded ones or go 12.8 is a joke. but wat do i know im just have a slow car
you do realize that your giving an opinion from YOUR experience at YOUR track right? He posted his times and my best time is still faster then his with less mods and 22"s.....he also posted a video of him losing to a modded one
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

yes i do cuz thats all that matters in the argument why does it matter wat cars run at other tracks? we all know different tracks produce different times so its not really comparable. we live near infineon so why would i not only compare times from there when discussing a race that happend around there?
his video of him losing was also with less mods.....
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Teching In

you do realize that your giving an opinion from YOUR experience at YOUR track right? He posted his times and my best time is still faster then his with less mods and 22"s.....he also posted a video of him losing to a modded one
That video is when I had an intake and tune only lol. The modded one was Deuuuce and his 12.7@111 SRT8 lol. That was before I had high flow cats, and before I had long tubes. I run a full second faster than that at the track now lol. That video is over a year old man. I don't understand how people could take that video out of context

Deuuuce already validated everything we have been saying in this thread. When he pulled up at infineon raceway on" 91octane tune, heat soaked, no prep and ran a 13.1 @ 105.27 mph." before adding race gas and his scientific fuse pulling and all that stuff.
Under those same conditions, straight off the street my G8 will run 13.0-12.8s@107-108mph. Faster than any other bolt on SRT8 out there. That is what happens at the track I run at every single time. Regardless of the weather or what my times may be, I have ALWAYS run faster than a non cammed srt8 every single time I have run. If I came to your track I would have a similar experience, with just a faster time slip to prove it. Time will tell.

Not really just alot of guys with "Slower" cars downplay SRT8's
I'm not down playing SRT8s. They are fast. My car is FASTER (than a comparable SRT8). It is not a "slower" car so there nothing to down play

Quick Reply: Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT