Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1997 Cobra vs 1994 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011 | 07:01 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Why should they have spent more money and more risk to make it a 400+whp car when there was no Fbody to compare it to, it outran C5s off the showroom floor, and gave the Z06 a run for it's money?
Not qiute in z06 territory.
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
good excuse for the screen name then i guess. i wouldnt have began to give you **** 11s if you hadn't jumped in this one.
Perfect... for children... Attack another member peronally BECAUSE he got into a thread and didn't fully agree with you... Way to go, kid..

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Not qiute in z06 territory.
It was closer than any other American made production vehicle at the time. His point was, the car was quite good for the money. It was notably better than the other pony cars before it and still on level with most nearly 10yrs later.
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
It was closer than any other American made production vehicle at the time, and still on level with most nearly 10yrs later.
Wasnt the viper top dog for a long time in the fastest american made car? In both power and weight? Mopar isnt my strong point lol

As for on par with current sports cars, a modded cobra yes, stock not so much any more, then again, how many stock cobras are there really? lol
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:33 AM
Teching In

no it'll run he jumped in just like you on grammar and education. Whos the child? Your a waste of my air and your own.
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Wasnt the viper top dog for a long time in the fastest american made car? In both power and weight? Mopar isnt my strong point lol

As for on par with current sports cars, a modded cobra yes, stock not so much any more, then again, how many stock cobras are there really? lol
Since the Viper was ahead of the ZO6, that wasn't a consideration... Plus, it cost some 80-85k back then so, for the money... not much of a contest.

A stock 2003 Cobra will run with nearly any other production pony car being made today. Properly driven, 12.7's are no problem. Most stock pony cars just don't get there. There are advantages to new cars, beginning with bigger, better tires. Using the same good rubber on an 03/04 Cobra will only help it overall.
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since the Viper was ahead of the ZO6, that wasn't a consideration... Plus, it cost some 80-85k back then so, for the money... not much of a contest.

A stock 2003 Cobra will run with nearly any other production pony car being made today. Properly driven, 12.7's are no problem. Most stock pony cars just don't get there. There are advantages to new cars, beginning with bigger, better tires. Using the same good rubber on an 03/04 Cobra will only help it overall.
Yea thats a good point, and I feel like most sports cars now should be capable of low 13s and high 12s, perhaps they arnt and I give cars to much credit. lol
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
no it'll run he jumped in just like you on grammar and education. Whos the child? Your a waste of my air and your own.
To be sure, you are the child. One need not look long to figure that out on their own.

It's not that you're stupid... It's that you're so pathetically ignorant on the subject matter, you make yourself look like a fool. I don't really care what you say... You're just another inexperienced trash talker here. For example: You constantly talk about what your car is going to do... JUST DO IT! My FOX MUSTANG, which you think you know so much more about than I, ran 11.2's in 2002 and DIDN'T use slicks or a power adder to get there... You've never done it, and probably never will... but you have no problem telling me that you know more about those cars than I... I was racing them before you were born, but you're KING ****... Just ask you!

Example 2: I saw mention from you that a stock 2003 Cobra was a drivers race against a stock LS1 SS... Then again, it really wasn't. The SS would have to get a lucky "quick" pass to make it look close, when each is properly driven.

Settle down a bit, stop trying to educate everyone else on things you've never done yourself, and people will be easier on you overall.
Old 10-06-2011 | 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Heater
It wasn't just the one question.

It's the internet and I can't tell if y'all are just trolling or if you actually believe the stuff y'all are posting.
I though you know we where differant people and you had agreed with certain thing i have said. So when you say "y'all".... What post of mine do you not agree with **** nugget???
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:01 AM

92cobranotch, what's your setup and what does it run? There aren't too many terminator powered foxes around (never seen one around here) and it sounds like a cool build.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yea thats a good point, and I feel like most sports cars now should be capable of low 13s and high 12s, perhaps they arnt and I give cars to much credit. lol
There's a thought too... many of todays new V8 powered pony cars can indeed run 12's... I suppose it's just(for me) that most don't. On the flip side, maybe most would, given the "properly driven" factor. We know they're capable of running very well, but so many MORE of them exist, so we're inundated with the "norm" rather than the possiblities. Of course, I did see a stock 2003 Cobra run 12.4... in June of 2002. That was being driven by a pro racer.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a thought too... many of todays new V8 powered pony cars can indeed run 12's... I suppose it's just(for me) that most don't. On the flip side, maybe most would, given the "properly driven" factor. We know they're capable of running very well, but so many MORE of them exist, so we're inundated with the "norm" rather than the possiblities. Of course, I did see a stock 2003 Cobra run 12.4... in June of 2002. That was being driven by a pro racer.
300-400 hp 15 years ago was a big deal, now its normal in high end cars lol 600 is the new 400
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:12 AM

We know they're capable of running very well, but so many MORE of them exist, so we're inundated with the "norm" rather than the possiblities.
It seems to me that when someone is talking about the car they are rooting for then the best of the best, Hail Mary pass, He-Man numbers get thrown around. When talking about the other guys though, average numbers are where it's at.

I understand where it comes from, and I don't think most people even realize they are doing it.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
It seems to me that when someone is talking about the car they are rooting for then the best of the best, Hail Mary pass, He-Man numbers get thrown around. When talking about the other guys though, average numbers are where it's at.

I understand where it comes from, and I don't think most people even realize they are doing it.
I try not to be bias even if I like something. I like facts and data, I blame my father for being an engineer lol But I do enjoy my

Yup... Today it's common to find 250+hp in common cars. Many of those have turbo 4's or V6's without a power adder. Somehow, they still manage to pass emissions.
Yea, new v6 camaros that make lt1 power.... I think its more impressive they have 500+hp muti-year high mile warranties on cars lol and they pass emissions Viper, zr1, gt500. tons more but, you get the point.

Last edited by ZFreie; 10-06-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

300-400 hp 15 years ago was a big deal, now its normal in high end cars lol 600 is the new 400
Yup... Today it's common to find 250+hp in common cars. Many of those have turbo 4's or V6's without a power adder. Somehow, they still manage to pass emissions.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

Agreed, completely.

I suspect there are many people who never got 12's from their 2003/4 Cobra when stock. Of course, locale plays a role too, but in my view, F/I cars should be more consistent even in different elevations since they essentially make their own atmosphere. Still, humidity and temp plays a bigger role and mostly, lack of skill with any particular driver in a given car probably makes the biggest difference overall, specifically when using manual transmissions to row the gears.

That said, I would say the average 2003/4 Cobra runs about what a new SS or GT or SRT/8 runs at any given track, with like experienced drivers at the wheel.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:25 AM

I try not to be bias even if I like something. I like facts and data, I blame my father for being an engineer lol But I do enjoy my
Not everyone does it, but it's a definite trend. Nothing new about it, it's just that everything being caught on camera these days makes it easier to find one video of a car being driven 100% and 50 videos of the competition being driven somewhere between average and oh my god, that poor car.
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I think the reasons some LS1 owners think a hardtop light option car can run with a stock termi is due to street battles with them. They lose a ton of power on the street due to heat soak. At the track with good driving a termi will win.

I strongly disagree about a termi running with a C5 Z06 in the 1/4. Not close at all even with an 01 Z. With good driving in both about 5 tenths and 3-4 MPH difference easy. With mods that start to reverse real quick though lol.
Old 10-06-2011 | 11:12 AM

That said, I would say the average 2003/4 Cobra runs about what a new SS or GT or SRT/8 runs at any given track, with like experienced drivers at the wheel.
03/04 Cobras are very competitive with today's competition, stock for stock. Anyone who doesn't think so is either clueless or lying to themselves. Alot of the same people will probably tell you that a stock LS1 fbody is very competitive today. Just depends what car someone has a boner for.
Old 10-06-2011 | 11:22 AM
Teching In

Thats exactly right morris! I in my OPINION dont care to hear a time with the head light out,15 min cool time, ice bag etc. When I posted in another thread that my notch with 3 mods went 14.40s thats what it did 99 percent of the day it made 1 iced down run of 14.2 and i dont count it. Its not gonna be gettin iced down before i run some one at a stop light. and they have a drag section on this forum for those type of e.ts right? I think this is the street section were u gotta have both head lights in the 03 cobras lol. screamin: set up is 3:73 gears,2.93 pulley,jlt true cold air, exhaust undecided but off road x of some kind and a thru style muffler should make around 450 wheel and go 10.8 to 11.2 range. upr k member, aluminum bumper support,manual windows and locks, light, and I kept a/c, ps,pb. Should have exact ets and vid early spring. It'll run do you wanna see my 13.01 run ? i got it off the hi8 tapes? That still wont shut you up tho will it? You guys cant stand the fact that i give GM credit where credit is due.
Old 10-06-2011 | 11:25 AM
Teching In

oh, and m6 transmission

Quick Reply: 1997 Cobra vs 1994 Z28