Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2010 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick V.
:o i thought we could beat them stock?
Check my signature. I ran a 13.57 1/4 mile. Pretty sure an auto SS could do better than that, and a good manual driver even better. I might beat a manual though, if he's a bad driver. I have beaten a 2011 5.0 Mustang after all, and it was a manual.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Pretty sure an auto SS could do better than that,
I'm not so sure. I went and test drove one. I freaking saw 2 M6s before the salesman moved in on me, maybe someone was already buying them, I don't know, but he wanted me to test drive the auto. He kept encouraging me to punch it. At the time, my Camaro, which I'd driven to the dealer was intake/catback, and noticeably quicker. The guy actually said "how's that compared to that old Camaro?"

I seriously thought it must be a V6, and didn't believe it wasn't until I popped the hood. I was disgusted. It lacked ***** and seemed to take all day to upshift and hunt for gears when you punch it.

No question you could probably tune and wake the car up a lot, but I know many people who own them and they wouldn't dream of doing this and mess with their warranty.

Last edited by nmbr5ml; 10-25-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Forgot autos are 6-spds too
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
bring that 15 year old LS1 to this century is install a cheater cam if you want to keep you car mostly stock. thats all you need to walk a 5th gen SS.
cheater cam? A cam is a lot of work...and expensive.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
I'm not so sure. I went and test drove one. I freaking saw 2 6-speeds before the salesman moved in on me, maybe someone was already buying them, I don't know, but he wanted me to test drive the auto. He kept encouraging me to punch it. At the time, my Camaro, which I'd driven to the dealer was intake/catback, and noticeably quicker. The guy actually said "how's that compared to that old Camaro?"

I seriously thought it must be a V6, and didn't believe it wasn't until I popped the hood. I was disgusted. It lacked ***** and seemed to take all day to upshift and hunt for gears when you punch it.

No question you could probably tune and wake the car up a lot, but I know many people who own them and they wouldn't dream of doing this and mess with their warranty.
Is your current Camaro a 6 speed? 'cause mine is an automatic, but for the most part I think it's a well responsive auto, shifts pretty hard, holds RPM's long enough usually, etc.

Also the new auto SS makes 400HP, compared to the M6 with 426HP. That's a big enough difference to make one noticeably quicker.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Is your current Camaro a 6 speed? 'cause mine is an automatic, but for the most part I think it's a well responsive auto, shifts pretty hard, holds RPM's long enough usually, etc.

Also the new auto SS makes 400HP, compared to the M6 with 426HP. That's a big enough difference to make one noticeably quicker.
My current car is a 2000 A4. Like I said it was intake/exhaust only and I was disgusted when I test drove the 2010 SS. Sure it falt like a much "nicer" car, aside from feeling like sitting in a school bus, but I expected to feel 400 hp and was disappointed. The M6s are a different story, which I know now, but he A6s are apparently tuned for economy or safety from the factory.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

My current car is a 2000 A4. Like I said it was intake/exhaust only and I was disgusted when I test drove the 2010 SS. Sure it falt like a much "nicer" car, aside from feeling like sitting in a school bus, but I expected to feel 400 hp and was disappointed. The M6s are a different story, which I know now, but he A6s are apparently tuned for economy or safety from the factory.
Well that's got to suck. I know the feeling you talk about when you say it's tuned for economy and safety. No way they should have put that in the Camaro though, rather disappointing. I still wanna test drive one myself though, just to feel it out myself.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah this was back when the dealers here first started getting the 2010s. Maybe they've improved the shitty tune, don't know. I kind of lost interest. My car may be cheap and plasticky by comparison but I still like it better. Feels like a muscle car!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i wanna race one so bad maaan. >.<
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick V.
i wanna race one so bad maaan. >.<
The new SS? So do I!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Yeah, but your G8 was heavily modded.

I would love to get a shot at a 5th Gen. SS. I know in my current form an SS should beat me, but I still wanna see how I'd do.
Exhuast/tune/cold air/UDP is heavily modded? I used no spray at all.

WIth them mods I ran 12.6. With a small 75 shot went 12.1. No times on the 125 pill but in the 1/8. I went 7.1@94 though and beat a Roush 427 and a C6Z.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Exhuast/tune/cold air/UDP is heavily modded? I used no spray at all.

WIth them mods I ran 12.6. With a small 75 shot went 12.1. No times on the 125 pill but in the 1/8. I went 7.1@94 though and beat a Roush 427 and a C6Z.
Did you make 489WHP when you ran that 5th Gen. Camaro SS?

Because 489WHP is heavily modded in my book, considering the car makes around 300WHP stock.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 PM

I raced a 5th gen SS from 45-115. Well kinda. I slowed down to wait for him to try to pass me and we he hopped on it and moved over to pass me, I floored it. He pulled me at first, my nose to his door. Then I pulled forward, nose to nose at the top of second into third. At 115, we were still pretty even so he let off and moved over behind me. I have an A4 and have no idea what he had. I didn't even know it was an SS (i could just see the red badge) until he jumped on it.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Did you make 489WHP when you ran that 5th Gen. Camaro SS?

Because 489WHP is heavily modded in my book, considering the car makes around 300WHP stock.
Nope I was at 377whp 370wtq nitrous tune. As I said I didn't spray her. The spray gave me the 489whp.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Launching!

I'm not so sure. I went and test drove one. I freaking saw 2 M6s before the salesman moved in on me, maybe someone was already buying them, I don't know, but he wanted me to test drive the auto. He kept encouraging me to punch it. At the time, my Camaro, which I'd driven to the dealer was intake/catback, and noticeably quicker. The guy actually said "how's that compared to that old Camaro?"

one of the problems with the new camaros is that when they're delivered the dealership walks around with a gas caddy and fills all the cars on the lot with REGULAR unleaded fuel. i have read that about 90 percent of the new owners experiences this, the problem with this is the car reverts to a low octane table wich pulls massive amounts of timing and gererally makes the car run like ****(makes it idle rougher, get 2-3 points lees on millage and your missing like 15 20 hp) with the low octane table these cars will run low 14's if not mid 14's. By pulling certain fuses you can make the PCM reset itself and start over in the high octane table, once you do this the car already feel's noticeably stronger with a CAI i've hit high 12's in my convertible, and yes the ls3 feels stronger and responds to mods better than the L99(automatic SS). And FWIW ive torched a couple new 5.0's like it wasnt **** but in a stick car its all about the driver.

oh yea forgot to mention once the New SS's go into the low octane table the only way to revert back to the high octane table is to pull fuses overnight and let the PCM reset itself or you have to take it to a dealer and have them re-flash the car. Once it goes into low octane made it cannot switch back to the high octane table on its own.

ever wonder at the track why some new SS's run low 13 to high 12's, while others cant seem to get better than a low 14.....******* low octane table....

Last edited by strokerblackhawk; 10-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

lmao!
Worthless thread. I wouldn't be to happy if someone did that to my daughter, I would find u in my quicker car with her driving to do the same to u.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
one of the problems with the new camaros is that when they're delivered the dealership walks around with a gas caddy and fills all the cars on the lot with REGULAR unleaded fuel. i have read that about 90 percent of the new owners experiences this, the problem with this is the car reverts to a low octane table wich pulls massive amounts of timing and gererally makes the car run like ****(makes it idle rougher, get 2-3 points lees on millage and your missing like 15 20 hp) with the low octane table these cars will run low 14's if not mid 14's. By pulling certain fuses you can make the PCM reset itself and start over in the high octane table, once you do this the car already feel's noticeably stronger with a CAI i've hit high 12's in my convertible, and yes the ls3 feels stronger and responds to mods better than the L99(automatic SS). And FWIW ive torched a couple new 5.0's like it wasnt **** but in a stick car its all about the driver.

oh yea forgot to mention once the New SS's go into the low octane table the only way to revert back to the high octane table is to pull fuses overnight and let the PCM reset itself or you have to take it to a dealer and have them re-flash the car. Once it goes into low octane made it cannot switch back to the high octane table on its own.

ever wonder at the track why some new SS's run low 13 to high 12's, while others cant seem to get better than a low 14.....******* low octane table....
dude nice info. Makes since
Just like GM
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

They fill them with whatever is cheapest. Ford dealer did same thing to my 5.0 when i bought it. They told me oh its ok it made to run on 87. WHat they don't know is like the 5.0 it loses about 25whp with 87 to 93. I imagine the SS is the same way. I know where wife works(chevy dealer) they fill all there cars with 87 cause it is in fact cheaper.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If this is true this has to be one of the worst setups ever. For the price of the car they couldnt make an adaptive system? Thats ridiculous.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gregsss
dude nice info. Makes since
Just like GM
yea idk why they would make it to where the car stays in low octane mode once its there. doesnt make since ill bet half the SS's out there are in the low octane table and i bet non car enthusiast's dont even have a clue i just happen to read up on it on camaro5 if i hadn't read that id prolly still be riding around on the low octane table.....
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
If this is true this has to be one of the worst setups ever. For the price of the car they couldnt make an adaptive system? Thats ridiculous.
And agian why ford wins There ECU adjust its self. It also will pull or add timing. It also comes with factory wide bands.

auto's come with a tranny cooler already.

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2010 Camaro RS