Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Smoked and Acura through Alligator Alley and lost to a Ferrari.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked and Acura through Alligator Alley and lost to a Ferrari.

Well I haven't been around for a little bit cause I was away visiting some of the family in Tampa. The wife really didn't want to take the car. But I wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to speed through Alligator Alley down here. On the way over I kept it at a reasonable 90-95 mph. Found a couple of Corvettes that didn't want to play on the way over, but mostly there was nobody on the road.
On the the way back I was stuck behind a Land Rover and a Semi that were going a steady 80 in both lanes.After about 5 mins of that I saw a silver Acura doing some stupid ricer swerving through traffic to get up behind me. I could even see this guys spoiler from in front of him. He started riding me so close that I couldn't even see his head lights.
In the mean time the LR in front of me finally got out of the way and I pulled ahead enough that the other guy could get next to me. As soon as he got next to me and started to pass me I gave it just enough gas to drop it down a gear and then let off. I saw him look over and it sounded like he down-shifted and we were off. I gave it just enough gas to stay even with him just to see how fast he would go. At around 120-125 I stepped on it and blew him away. I looked down just long enough to see 150 on the speedo and looked up just long enough to see him waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy back. I think he gave up.
I was all adrenaline at that point as that was the fastest I had gone in my car. 130 was my previous best.
20 minutes later I came up on a red Ferrari. Had to be relatively new. I pulled up along side and looked over at what was a older guy driving. I didn't think he was going to play but I surged just a little bit and he immediately down-shifted and left me standing. I tried to follow but by the time I was up to 120 he was about 9 car lenghts ahead of me. I never did catch up to that one. That was the first one I have lost, but it was well worth seeing that car fly.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

No shame in losing to a ferrari. Your crazy for running 150 on the street man. Ive did it once and wont do it again, until my car traps 150 in the 1/4.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice run man, do you know what ferrari it was???
Old 03-10-2004, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBronco
nice run man, do you know what ferrari it was???
350 I think
Old 03-10-2004, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_z
No shame in losing to a ferrari. Your crazy for running 150 on the street man. Ive did it once and wont do it again, until my car traps 150 in the 1/4.

I was pretty crazy. But man was it fun!!!
I don't think I will do it again. Unless I have another long straightaway like I did that day.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, you're nuts.
Congrats on the death vs. Ferrari- I bet it sounded like a wicked banshee pulling away.

Bad thing about the Alley is that the FHP can just sit and wait for you at the end of the road to get ya. No need for a chase.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill dude! I got my car up to 148 before I caught up to some traffic. Man can a Z06 stop! How fast were you going when you and the Ferrari hooked up?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wowie, 150! I wonder how many feet you traveled in the time it took to look down at your speedo? A long way driving blind I bet. Nice kill on the Acura, awesome death description with the exotic.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

I can only imagine how much distance you travel in just the time it takes to look at your speedo at that kind of speed. Damn...
Old 03-10-2004, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Dude, you're nuts.
Congrats on the death vs. Ferrari- I bet it sounded like a wicked banshee pulling away.

Bad thing about the Alley is that the FHP can just sit and wait for you at the end of the road to get ya. No need for a chase.
I did it during that one long straightaway right before the rest stop EB. I was praying my detector ws working.
I did run into some cops on the other side of an overpass. But thank god there was a fellow Pontiac coming the other way that flashed his highs at me.

I was doing about 75 when we hooked.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Sweet runs!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01blufrmla
I did it during that one long straightaway right before the rest stop EB. I was praying my detector ws working.
I did run into some cops on the other side of an overpass. But thank god there was a fellow Pontiac coming the other way that flashed his highs at me.

I was doing about 75 when we hooked.

You're still nuts, and a very good story teller. Could you imagine of the actual events which you described would have happened...

Anyhow, for all you non Florida people (most of ya), Alligator Alley (I-75) traverses the East and West Coasts of Florida. It heads West from Ft. Lauderdale over to Naples. You literally pass hundreds of alligators (most unseen though) en route.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:40 AM
STF Veteran

That is a great day. Good kill and nice death. I would like to hook up with a Ferrari at least once to see what the out come would be. I would probably lose but it would be fun.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

That was the most fun I have had since I had the car.
You guys are bad influences. I never used to try to get poeple to race on the highway. Now I mess with everybody.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:31 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 01blufrmla
That was the most fun I have had since I had the car.
You guys are bad influences. I never used to try to get poeple to race on the highway. Now I mess with everybody.
01Blufrmla did you notice any difference going to the 85 mm MAF? What kind do you have?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
01Blufrmla did you notice any difference going to the 85 mm MAF? What kind do you have?
The SLP 85mm maf was put on at the same time the Lid was. Combined I felt a definate difference. The reasoning behind it was that I got it as part of a package. I didn't want a descreened maf, but I knew that I would need it for farther down the road when I got over 400rwhp. I have a certain plan to go n/a on all of my mods. I want
TCI3500 and 3.73 gears
LT headers w/ true duals(haven't decide which)
New valves springs and retainers
A nice big cam that will still let me idle
P&P Throttle body
Cold air induction.
Mosler rear end
subframe connectors( and some other suspension mods)
In that order!!
The 85 mm Maf doesn't probably do much for me now, but it will down the road.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

i got up to 145 MPH with Z28 on Beltway 8 at 1 oclock in the morning, no cars was on the road. the fastest speed in my life, lol. i will try 155 MPH when i get some more mods to my domistic_zizi.