Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Predict The Result: (both stock) 05' M3 Convertible vs. 98' Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Predict The Result: (both stock) 05' M3 Convertible vs. 98' Z/28

This kid at my school just recently got a 2005 M3 Convertible and I've been wanting to run my 98 Z/28 M6 against him. Here's a rundown of the M3 specs.

His M3 is all stock... So this based on online specs:
HP: 333
TQ: 262
Weight: 3415... that's the coupe so I'm guessing his vert weighs ~3600 with him in it.
Tranny: 6 spd w/ paddle shifters

My car:

Untouched 60k mile LS1 from a 00' Z/28
6 speed
295/35/18 Nitto NT05's out back

He makes a bit more HP, but I have him in the torque department, plus my tires will aid in launching. Only thing I'm worried about is how much quicker/smoother his shifts are going to be since he has the paddle shifters.

My initial guess:
I will beat him off the line since I can get a good launch with the Nitto's and I have a fair amount of torque available at a lower RPM than him, but he will start gaining every time I shift since he has the paddle shifters. The top end is a toss up... I think it truly becomes a drivers race from there. I have to be quick with the shifts and hope that the LS1's torque will pull through.

What do you guys think the result will be? I really want to take down this spoiled bastard.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can hold him if you can get him off the line. Just make sure your shifts are 100%. Also if its a new car for him, racing him sooner would only help as he wouldn't have as much time to get use to it
Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
I think you can hold him if you can get him off the line. Just make sure your shifts are 100%. Also if its a new car for him, racing him sooner would only help as he wouldn't have as much time to get use to it
I agree... I'm hoping my choice to pickup some Nitto street tires doesn't come back to haunt me here hah. I'm runnin the OEM master cylinder so it can get a bit tricky past 5 grand, but I've gotten better at shifting even with it holding me back. I have room for improvement definitely, but I think my skill in terms of shifting should get me by. I want to race him the first opportunity I get.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

you easy if you can drive. You have more HP than he does too if you don't go by the official ratings.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by staticx57
you easy if you can drive. You have more HP than he does too if you don't go by the official ratings.
The HP isn't bothering me too much, I'm a bit more comfortable since I know for sure I get him by a good amount torque wise. I definitely want to make sure I'm on my A game when I shift.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

I predict this will get moved to the bench racing section very soon.. Post the results of the race in this section once it's done and video of the race or you will be for posting this in the wrong section..

J/King about the ban part but be sure to get it on video for us bud..
Old 02-03-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by odarabla
I predict this will get moved to the bench racing section very soon.. Post the results of the race in this section once it's done and video of the race or you will be for posting this in the wrong section..

J/King about the ban part but be sure to get it on video for us bud..
Ahah, I know what ya mean... I'm hoping I will, if not then I will for sure post up the result. Maybe I'll even volunteer to have the passenger video taping it just to make things interesting since I have the torque advantage.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Ahah, I know what ya mean... I'm hoping I will, if not then I will for sure post up the result. Maybe I'll even volunteer to have the passenger video taping it just to make things interesting since I have the torque advantage.
M3 might be a closer race than you think for a stock LS1. Get a gopro or something if you can. If you can't then just have some one sit at the finish line so we can see that winning stretch..
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by need2speed94
The HP isn't bothering me too much, I'm a bit more comfortable since I know for sure I get him by a good amount torque wise.
So? Your low end torque means essentially nothing in this race.

What matters is high end torque curves and RPM, which are represented by horsepower.

Even if he makes less torque than you, if he can spin his engine faster (which he can), he can develop just as much power.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by odarabla
M3 might be a closer race than you think for a stock LS1. Get a gopro or something if you can. If you can't then just have some one sit at the finish line so we can see that winning stretch..
I never said I was going to walk on him, but I definitely know what you mean... I'm not underestimating him whatsoever. I was planning on having some buddies wait at the finish line... A GoPro *is on the list but not at the top hah, I'm still 17 man!

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
So? Your low end torque means essentially nothing in this race.

What matters is high end torque curves and RPM, which are represented by horsepower.

Even if he makes less torque than you, if he can spin his engine faster (which he can), he can develop just as much power.
It means nothing? That's dumb to say the least... everything matters. And the fact that my peak torque is achieved much earlier than him should help, and him being able to rev much higher and quicker than me and stay in the powerband should help him. There's advantages to both sides... And since I have the V8, torque is on my side. He has 2 less pistons to crank so it'll rev up faster, but he's down on torque... see what I'm getting at?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he will take you.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
I think he will take you.
There are so many factors flowing through my head... My big disadvantage is that my shifts not matter how good I am at shifting will be slower, paddle shifters are just a damn good technology. His big disadvantage is that he has extra weight since its a vert and he's on all weather tires. The list goes on, hopefully the amount of skill I have is enough to pull the win!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you do, but the M3 is an equal to you
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
I hope you do, but the M3 is an equal to you
I'll defend my car to the end, but you can only be confident to a certain level. I have some tricks up my sleeve that might give me a *slight advantage. Something I was thinking doing was about dropping my tire pressure a bit, to like ~20psi. That should help a bit off the line. This is just a street race and it's purely for fun, but I want this race bad...
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

If he takes you hit me up.I will bump up the tune in your car for free if its still a 98 pcm.I have ran into my share of M3's an stock for stock you better have a good running ls1 to keep up after 80mph.Not sayin it cant be done though.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
If he takes you hit me up.I will bump up the tune in your car for free if its still a 98 pcm.I have ran into my share of M3's an stock for stock you better have a good running ls1 to keep up after 80mph.Not sayin it cant be done though.
It's a 98' body with a 00' LS1, I'm not sure if it still has the 98' PCM or the 00'? Its got 60,xxx miles. Only think wrong is a bad pulley that physically looks like it might eat up the belt if I rev it up too high, that'll be fixed before the race though. So assume it's running well. Keep in mind his is a convertible and I've heard that the convertible's performance is noticeably slower than the coupes. In no way am I saying they're slow though.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know if you get some free time to stop by Manteca .Ill be able to help you figure things out.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Let me know if you get some free time to stop by Manteca .Ill be able to help you figure things out.
I will man! Thanks a bunch
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Ive done this race many many times.

back about 8 years ago my 2.73 geared auto c5 in stock form would eat alive RSKYs 333 HP stock M3 from any roll speed.

At the strip mine did mid 13s and his low 14s. Its not even close and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Not only will you win but you will pull a Dewey *** on his *** and WALK HARD
Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 AM
TECH Regular

Meh you'll rape him pretty good.