Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My Talon vs lS3 C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my first motor, second was 6 bolt, then a 2.3 stroker. My buddies had 6 bolts. The only friend that still has his only does because he has too much $ into it to sell it. Over 40 k, seriously. G4CS 2.4 block, best internals, stage 5 Shep tranny, Fp Black full kit, Standalone, full cage, ect..... Hasn't ran in like 6 months, got tired of towing it back to the shop.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
That was my first motor, second was 6 bolt, then a 2.3 stroker. My buddies had 6 bolts. The only friend that still has his only does because he has too much $ into it to sell it. Over 40 k, seriously. G4CS 2.4 block, best internals, stage 5 Shep tranny, Fp Black full kit, Standalone, full cage, ect..... Hasn't ran in like 6 months, got tired of towing it back to the shop.
They must be doing something wrong...these cars aren't that hard to keep on the road.

I've DD'd mine for the past 3 years. Every time it's broken has been completely my fault.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, any good videos or kill stories are allowed on here regardless of the make, model, or origin of the cars involved. And if there's an LSX in the video, so much the better, but it's certainly not a requirement. Post away. And nice runs. You've got a quick car there but those LS3's are strong!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Teching In

i also want to point out. that car that u posted up that dynod 440...
thats an FP manifold. and FP 20g a Sheet metal intake manifold.. sounds like a full bolt on stock block motor. with 2g pistons whic bumps compression. which will make significantly more than my car. just thought id point that out.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NotlS1
i also want to point out. that car that u posted up that dynod 440...
thats an FP manifold. and FP 20g a Sheet metal intake manifold.. sounds like a full bolt on stock block motor. with 2g pistons whic bumps compression. which will make significantly more than my car. just thought id point that out.
compression isn't going to make that big of a difference. Both have low compression. My compression was low lol. the intake mani would add some hp but again most mustang dynod read 12-14% lower than a dyno jet. On top if that you have a fwd dsm another 12% to the ground over an awd car! Ive been dyno'd but had problems so couldn't do a full pull . it was breaking up and wouldn't go past 21psi. Spooling , just spooling up to 21psi I was making 308awhp and 300ft/lbs on a mustang dyno. I know for a fact that was around 350awhp. I know cause when the problem was fixed a hx35 96 dsm try'd to do a ricer pull on me and I caught and left his ***. You should be making more power. You should be over 400 whp. Call Hahn. They had stock motor cars making more than you say you're making and they had crappy fuel back in da day. Fix them Damn boost leaks lol. Or if you not happy just get another turbo when you can.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 02-13-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
They must be doing something wrong...these cars aren't that hard to keep on the road.

I've DD'd mine for the past 3 years. Every time it's broken has been completely my fault.
Couldn't agree more, I dd my old auto gsx that would trap 130+ and it never broke unless I beat it to death. Reason most dsm'ers complain is because they are cheap. Fast, cheap, reliable, pick two. Almost all dsm people go for fast and cheap. **** I worked on my friends car that was trying to break into the 8's and he would break constantly and not get why, turns out he won't buy expensive axles, transfer case, or driveshaft to support the hp. All were stock
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Couldn't agree more, I dd my old auto gsx that would trap 130+ and it never broke unless I beat it to death. Reason most dsm'ers complain is because they are cheap. Fast, cheap, reliable, pick two. Almost all dsm people go for fast and cheap. **** I worked on my friends car that was trying to break into the 8's and he would break constantly and not get why, turns out he won't buy expensive axles, transfer case, or driveshaft to support the hp. All were stock
You hit it dead on.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Teching In

thats kinda what ive seen be the case with this car since i got it.

ive found half tightened mount bolts
the lower control arm bolt was backed out a half inch.
coolant pipes not bolted down.
so many issues with the PO installing. its no wonder they get a bad name.
however this car, even with the odd issue im trying to figure out(buzzing noise with no start, but then starting after a bit). it still drives me every where everyday, and the only thing that has broken was the turbo from the 100k miles it had plus the PO has the BOV wayyyy to tight and compressor surged it every time.
other than that, this thing has been on the road every day, and been fine and fun. adnyhting thats messed up has been a direct relation to something someone did. and by no fault of the car itself.
i just hope i can fix everything before the car breaks it lol

on a side note.

28psi is only the initial hit. i was able to make a good pull and reallly watch the gauge.

it hits 28 on spool. then tapers off to 24.
as my RPM increase my boost decrease causing my injectors to be able to keep up lol. so if you were to see this on a dyno graph, it wouldnt be a nice steady increase, it would be more of a plateau. its like the car knows its cant run 28psi at higher rpms and lets the boost down because from like 4500-7500 its 90-95% IDC. it should be consistantly rising. but i think its from the weak hahn 8psi WG spring. anything above 24psi and that thing just doesnt seem to be able to regulate. so hopefully i can get a new one or do the washer trick and see if i cant figure it out.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

here is a vid for ya of the Talon i was talkin about in the previous post... I think this is one of the semi-final rounds of Imports vs Domestics here in Maryland. 7 second Talon!!

http://youtu.be/cjU_Ff1HIjc

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
my bad i dont hate subies but i was at the 2011 subaru shootout and i think my car was like the 3rd fastest there lol. For the most part mod for mod they just don't make the HP a DSM or Evo makes. A DSM with a 70mm 42R on E85 is no joke lol.

I think a 50 trim makes a tad bit more than a 20g. Add cams etc you could hit 500whp
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NotlS1
it hits 28 on spool. then tapers off to 24.
as my RPM increase my boost decrease causing my injectors to be able to keep up lol. so if you were to see this on a dyno graph, it wouldnt be a nice steady increase, it would be more of a plateau. its like the car knows its cant run 28psi at higher rpms and lets the boost down because from like 4500-7500 its 90-95% IDC. it should be consistantly rising. but i think its from the weak hahn 8psi WG spring. anything above 24psi and that thing just doesnt seem to be able to regulate. so hopefully i can get a new one or do the washer trick and see if i cant figure it out.
The likely reason your boost is tapering off is because your engine is outflowing your turbo, not from any wastegate issue.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

there is such thing as too small of a turbo where the car won't see any more boost because the turbo is maxed out.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
The likely reason your boost is tapering off is because your engine is outflowing your turbo, not from any wastegate issue.
My 30R won't hold over 26psi near redline. I have big cams, heavy port work and a sheet metal intake, but the point is i have a good deal more turbo flow than a 20G and i can't hold 28psi to the limiter.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
here is a vid for ya of the Talon i was talkin about in the previous post... I think this is one of the semi-final rounds of Imports vs Domestics here in Maryland. 7 second Talon!!

http://youtu.be/cjU_Ff1HIjc
Are you sure that's the Talon? That's Shep's car! That car is a freak of nature lol.

Quick Reply: My Talon vs lS3 C6