Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Death to newer BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death to newer BMW M5

So today i finally got my LT Headers installed at a buddys house.It was a looooong day, we did the motor mounts too which were a pain. Anyhow i went home then decided to head to In N out Burger. On the way back, a silver M5 slowly crept up behind me on the freeway. He wouldnt even out with me just kinda hung a half car back for a few minutes.

So when the freeway cleared out i downshifted to 3rd and gunned it to see if he wanted to play. I slowed to about 50mph in 2nd, my sweet spot and honked 3 times and left, but he delayed before he gunned it so i took the hit and we went up to about 130 and he was starting to pull me in. I was about 1.5 cars ahead before i shut down.

We ran about 6 more times and when we both left at the same time he would put about 2 cars on me by about 130mph. I kept giving him the thumbs up and pulled into the slow lane, but he kept honking at me like he wanted more runs. I ran him again and with roughly the same result 50-130mph and he had about 2 cars on me again.

Overall the new M5s look sweet, and the guy seemed like a cool dude as he slowed down gave me a thumbs up...which is unheard of for any BMW owner, LOL!

I am getting re-tuned on Monday to maximize the efficiency of the headers and I'm hoping for 385 rwhp. Current mods are in my sig minus the headers (1 3/4's) that were installed today.

Last edited by jthunderz28; 04-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
So today i finally got my LT Headers installed at a buddys house.It was a looooong day, we did the motor mounts too which were a pain. Anyhow i went home then decided to head to In N out Burger. On the way back, a silver M5 slowly crept up behind me on the freeway. He wouldnt even out with me just kinda hung a half car back for a few minutes.

So when the freeway cleared out i downshifted to 3rd and gunned it to see if he wanted to play. I slowed to about 50mph in 2nd, my sweet spot and honked 3 times and left, but he delayed before he gunned it so i took the hit and we went up to about 130 and he was starting to pull me in. I was about 1.5 cars ahead before i shut down.

We ran about 6 more times and when we both left at the same time he would put about 2 cars on me by about 130mph. I kept giving him the thumbs up and pulled into the slow lane, but he kept honking at me like we wanted more runs. I ran him again and with roughly the same result 50-130mph and he had about 2 cars on me again.

Overall the new M5s look sweet, and the guy seemed like a cool dude as he slowed down gave me a thumbs up...which is unheard of for any BMW owner, LOL!

I am getting re-tuned on Monday to maximize the efficiency of the headers and I'm hoping for 385 rwhp. Current mods are in my sig minus the headers (1 3/4's) that were installed today.
If you put down 365rwhp BEFORE the LT's, adding LT's and a new tune will get you to 385rwhp easily. I would say you will probably make more than that, something like 390+. Your cam will finally be able to eat!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
If you put down 365rwhp BEFORE the LT's, adding LT's and a new tune will get you to 385rwhp easily. I would say you will probably make more than that, something like 390+. Your cam will finally be able to eat!
I do have a catted y pipe so i'm not holding my breath. I honestly would be happy with 380rwhp and hitting 12.5s all day. It is my daily driver so i could care less about hitting 10's unless it was my weekend track car.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Researched the specs on the 2011+ M5.

Weight= 4288 lbs
Engine HP= 560
Engine Torque= 500

I thought i hung pretty good. That thing pulls hard up top.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, how do you know it was the v8TT or the v10?

Good runs with some nice back and forth and not all of us bimmer guys are douche sticks. Those m5's are pretty nice
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by willizm
Just curious, how do you know it was the v8TT or the v10?

Good runs with some nice back and forth and not all of us bimmer guys are douche sticks. Those m5's are pretty nice
I'm actually not sure Willizm. I googled specs for 2011+ bmw m5, and pulled the first set of numbers i found.

What is the power difference between the two?

You are the residing BMW expert, educate me. (not sarcasm)

And yeah not all Bimmer guys are douches, just 99 pct of the ones i run into.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The older v10 was rated at 500hp/390ftq while the brand new one is 550hp/500tq iirc. I know the v10's are no slouch especially in the top end and I've read that the v8tt pulls even better. They look very similar though the newer one is more aggressive looking. Both are stellar cars and you ran them in their strong point which is from a higher roll.

Here are some comparison shots
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544991
Old 04-08-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I almost got a race with one a few weeks ago, as soon as he sees me turn the signal on to exit he does a ricer fly by, wtf. I would really like to race one but never get a chance. Good job OP 2 cars is pretty damn good those M5's are really fast especially at higher speeds.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

The older v10 was rated at 500hp/390ftq while the brand new one is 550hp/500tq iirc. I know the v10's are no slouch especially in the top end and I've read that the v8tt pulls even better. They look very similar though the newer one is more aggressive looking. Both are stellar cars and you ran them in their strong point which is from a higher roll.

The new TT V8 is much quicker than the old V10. First times i saw on the new M5 were 12.0@122. The V10s ran about 12.5@115.

When a tune comes out for the F10...it's going to be a ridiculous sports-luxury car.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah like I said it was 2011 + which is the F10, so I was in fact correct on the power, the dead giveaway was the tailights and the more boxier look of the F10 vs the E60, it was definitely the F10 and not the E60, so I ran the stronger of the 2 generations

I may not know every single nut and bolt in the engine bay on those things, but I am pretty good at differentiating different generation cars.

Somewhat of a happy death if there is such a thing, lol.

Originally Posted by karpetcm
I almost got a race with one a few weeks ago, as soon as he sees me turn the signal on to exit he does a ricer fly by, wtf. I would really like to race one but never get a chance. Good job OP 2 cars is pretty damn good those M5's are really fast especially at higher speeds.
Thanks man, it was getting uglier as the MPH increased so there was no use in trying above 130 mph. His car was the superior performer for sure.

Hopefully the one you speak of didn't cut you off after the flyby, lol, typical bimmer guy move. They are always out of blinker fluid and they own the roads...PERIOD, lol.