Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Yep. Ford had to go forged years ago on the 03-04 cobra......at a measily by todays standard 390 hp to keep that thing together. That tells me on the normal 4.6 piston they were having problems keeping it together in testing. Only stands right to figure the threshold is lower for piston material holding up is lower in that engine.....whatever those variables may be.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't know that... thanx. is there any major differences between the two? Leguna Seca edition and regular Boss 302?

Originally Posted by evangto87
One thing you should know about this comparison. Not saying the boss would win around the road course against the zl1... but... in this particular comparison, The laguna Seca lapped the track 2 seconds slower then the standard boss did previously... Sketchy much?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Those forged internals were needed to keep that pos 4.6 together. Did'nt seem to help the rods bearings staying in it. Once you get to looking there is a whole pile of spun bearings in those things.

Funny you should say that considering how many LS engines have spun their bearings. When you lean on an engine, there is always the chance that something is going to fail...no matter the brand.

I would take my chances with the bigger piston(6.2) distributing the load over a bigger area over the smaller more stressed piston(5.8).

I like bigger bore engines, but I have never heard or even thought of load distribution as a reason.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
Didn't know that... thanx. is there any major differences between the two? Leguna Seca edition and regular Boss 302?
The Laguna comes with competition tires, a beefier rear sway and diff rear springs. The rest is literally all cosmetic. In theory the Laguna is the stronger of the 2 yet somehow it was 2 seconds slower. Ill tell you why... and people will flame for it because its against the zl1 but it happens all the time. Its just another comparison paid for by chevy. Ford does it, chevy does it, bmw does it.. etc etc. The car randomly lost 2 seconds to put the zl1 on the winning side of the comparison.

Not saying the zl1 is stronger around the track. But i would like to see a legit comparison that isnt biased towards either car. 2 cars, one real driver. It also has been proven the boss is the drivers car or the 2. If you dont literally know how to race a car around a track, you cant race it around a track.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep. Ford had to go forged years ago on the 03-04 cobra......at a measily by todays standard 390 hp to keep that thing together. That tells me on the normal 4.6 piston they were having problems keeping it together in testing. Only stands right to figure the threshold is lower for piston material holding up is lower in that engine.....whatever those variables may be.

Originally Posted by Heater
Funny you should say that considering how many LS engines have spun their bearings. When you lean on an engine, there is always the chance that something is going to fail...no matter the brand.

I like bigger bore engines, but I have never heard or even thought of load distribution as a reason.
Thats because its a retarded reason.

I dont feel like writing a couple pages about structural considerations on piston designs, but at a high level all things being equal it would be easier to build a stronger piston in a smaller bore.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those forged internals were needed to keep that pos 4.6 together. Did'nt seem to help the rods bearings staying in it. Once you get to looking there is a whole pile of spun bearings in those things.

I would take my chances with the bigger piston(6.2) distributing the load over a bigger area over the smaller more stressed piston(5.8).
This is a bit of a weak statement. How can the 04/04 cobra motor be called a piece of ****? Do i think its the greatest motor... no. I prefer my motor 10 times out of 10. But to call that motor a pos, is just ludicrous.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980

I dont feel like writing a couple pages about structural considerations on piston designs, but at a high level all things being equal it would be easier to build a stronger piston in a smaller bore.
agreed.... hence why the 5.3s and 4.8s do so much better in stock form then the bigger motors under boost.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

sure like that 4"+ bore for breathability when n\a though.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

We are not at a high level. We are at a pretty low level as far as ultimate power is conserned.
This is a bit of a weak statement. How can the 04/04 cobra motor be called a piece of ****? Do i think its the greatest motor... no. I prefer my motor 10 times out of 10. But to call that motor a pos, is just ludicrous.
I didn't call a 03-04 motor a pos. I called 4.6's a pos. Clearly the 03/04 motor is upgrade, but still not that great.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

The Laguna comes with competition tires, a beefier rear sway and diff rear springs. The rest is literally all cosmetic. In theory the Laguna is the stronger of the 2 yet somehow it was 2 seconds slower. Ill tell you why... and people will flame for it because its against the zl1 but it happens all the time. Its just another comparison paid for by chevy. Ford does it, chevy does it, bmw does it.. etc etc. The car randomly lost 2 seconds to put the zl1 on the winning side of the comparison.

Not saying the zl1 is stronger around the track. But i would like to see a legit comparison that isnt biased towards either car. 2 cars, one real driver. It also has been proven the boss is the drivers car or the 2. If you dont literally know how to race a car around a track, you cant race it around a track.
I would think, they stuck on the cosmetics and that extra weight slowed the car down, GM was always shoving ugly heavy plastic on things and simply making them heavier so they could acheive a certin LOOK..IMO

Also, GM has to be careful because we all know the LS1 camaros 65% of the time RAPED stock LS1 vette in the f-body years, to me this is why they discontinued them. why would I spend 50+k on a car thats Slower than my 17+k car, and it had back seats for groseries and golf clubs LOLOL

I worked at a race track for 9 years, most stock vettes could Barley go in the 8's 1/8 mile, and Most f-bodies would go 8.9-8.80's stock.
Just saying
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

I've heard it all now.

I've heard it all.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

We are not at a high level. We are at a pretty low level as far as ultimate power is conserned.

I didn't call a 03-04 motor a pos. I called 4.6's a pos. Clearly the 03/04 motor is upgrade, but still not that great.
LOL, I meant high level in terms of explaining what goes in to piston design, not power level.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 916 BREDWNR
I've heard it all now.

I've heard it all.
Agree !
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right it cant do that with simple bolt ons... however, my bottom end can handle well over that power from the factory if i so choose to boost it, which i in fact may be very well doing this winter. And even still... 615whp on a cast bottom end may be do-able... but i wouldnt be comfortable with it. Ive personally seen how easy cast can fall apart with the slightest hint of detonation.
Rumor has it you're quite experienced with cast internal engines going boom...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Rumor has it you're quite experienced with cast internal engines going boom...

popped quite a few ls motors in my day
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

for those who dont think motor trend or car and driver ever get paid off to put a car on top, you fooling yourselves. It happens all the time. Not just chevy or ford. Its done ALL THE TIME. They are known for this actually. Why the hell would the boss slow down a full 2 seconds during this certain comparison? But this is LS1tech... so people of course will take the zl1 to the grave with them.

The ZL1 is the best car ever.. happy? I wish i had one... shouldnt have bought my car. CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEEEEEVYYYYYYYY!!!!! Im done with this thread.. Peace out hommies!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

for those who dont think motor trend or car and driver ever get paid off to put a car on top, you fooling yourselves. It happens all the time. Not just chevy or ford. Its done ALL THE TIME. They are known for this actually. Why the hell would the boss slow down a full 2 seconds during this certain comparison? But this is LS1tech... so people of course will take the zl1 to the grave with them.

The ZL1 is the best car ever.. happy? I wish i had one... shouldnt have bought my car. CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEEEEEVYYYYYYYY!!!!! Im done with this thread.. Peace out hommies!
You have any proof/can you quote a source or is this one of those tin-foil hat discussions?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have any proof/can you quote a source or is this one of those tin-foil hat discussions?
i would have to dig up both articles or if anyone is interest/cares... they can look for them. The original testing of the boss lapped the test course faster then the laguna Seca did in the comparison test. It also had a higher top speed, and higher lateral G. I cant remember if it was the motor trend or the car and driver tests.

I remember this specifically since i was actually looking forward to seeing how the 2 cars would compare on the track. The single test of the boss by itself, they loved it. They even stated it was a drivers car and you need to know how to throw a car into a turn and trust it and thats why it was so well approved of. Then in the test against the ZL1, all of this traits were twisted to now be a negative. I remember being pissed off because it was an absolute Boss bash session instead of a legit comparison of the 2 cars. At one point they said how much better the ZL1 was because the suspension could be adjusted via dash board electronically and the boss you had to get out of the car and adjust the suspension at the actual shock tower (like a normal track car).

I just laughed because somehow a boss with pirelli p zero garbo tires can lap the course faster then the same car with factory competition tires. Please.

The article reminds me much more of a presidential election. They focus more on bashing the other car then talking about the preferred car

Im not saying the Boss is faster around a track then the ZL1. Im just saying that there comparison test was a joke and biased. I want to see legitimate tests and comparisons. I want to see the ZL1 be the faster car because IT IS the faster car, not because someone just wants it to be. Get my point?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

i would have to dig up both articles or if anyone is interest/cares... they can look for them. The original testing of the boss lapped the test course faster then the laguna Seca did in the comparison test. It also had a higher top speed, and higher lateral G. I cant remember if it was the motor trend or the car and driver tests.

I remember this specifically since i was actually looking forward to seeing how the 2 cars would compare on the track. The single test of the boss by itself, they loved it. They even stated it was a drivers car and you need to know how to throw a car into a turn and trust it and thats why it was so well approved of. Then in the test against the ZL1, all of this traits were twisted to now be a negative. I remember being pissed off because it was an absolute Boss bash session instead of a legit comparison of the 2 cars. At one point they said how much better the ZL1 was because the suspension could be adjusted via dash board electronically and the boss you had to get out of the car and adjust the suspension at the actual shock tower (like a normal track car).

I just laughed because somehow a boss with pirelli p zero garbo tires can lap the course faster then the same car with factory competition tires. Please.

The article reminds me much more of a presidential election. They focus more on bashing the other car then talking about the preferred car

Im not saying the Boss is faster around a track then the ZL1. Im just saying that there comparison test was a joke and biased. I want to see legitimate tests and comparisons. I want to see the ZL1 be the faster car because IT IS the faster car, not because someone just wants it to be. Get my point?
Got it. I thought you meant that Motor Trend and Car and Driver in general are biased (for all comparisons) not just these two tests in particular. The "they are known for this" threw me off, as this doesnt seem to be a very prevalent view. Id have to read the articles though, to officially pass judgement, haha.

Last edited by zz4camaro1980; 06-14-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Until they "GM" does something about the half 67 half 69 ugly heavy PIG of a car, the new camaro will NEVER be the best car ever, and Ill keep my f-body forever or until i can afford a C6-Z06 or better. GM you are Screwing up the camaro and your so-called new fix is not good enough! what are we all turning into europeans now???? Twisties??? I can see them now in a large all glass room on the top floor of the GM building in detroit. " well, our car is ugly and heavy and on top of that SLOW, let make it turn well instead of having a great car" YEAH that is the ticket. Or something like that.

Quick Reply: ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)