Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evangto87
i would have to dig up both articles or if anyone is interest/cares... they can look for them. The original testing of the boss lapped the test course faster then the laguna Seca did in the comparison test. It also had a higher top speed, and higher lateral G. I cant remember if it was the motor trend or the car and driver tests.

I remember this specifically since i was actually looking forward to seeing how the 2 cars would compare on the track. The single test of the boss by itself, they loved it. They even stated it was a drivers car and you need to know how to throw a car into a turn and trust it and thats why it was so well approved of. Then in the test against the ZL1, all of this traits were twisted to now be a negative. I remember being pissed off because it was an absolute Boss bash session instead of a legit comparison of the 2 cars. At one point they said how much better the ZL1 was because the suspension could be adjusted via dash board electronically and the boss you had to get out of the car and adjust the suspension at the actual shock tower (like a normal track car).

I just laughed because somehow a boss with pirelli p zero garbo tires can lap the course faster then the same car with factory competition tires. Please.

The article reminds me much more of a presidential election. They focus more on bashing the other car then talking about the preferred car

Im not saying the Boss is faster around a track then the ZL1. Im just saying that there comparison test was a joke and biased. I want to see legitimate tests and comparisons. I want to see the ZL1 be the faster car because IT IS the faster car, not because someone just wants it to be. Get my point?
Makes senses I got it !

Its like that british car show Top Gear, it seems that they hate American cars in general. When they do comparisons they're always drifting the American cars around the track while the others cars are driven in a real race fashion.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for those who dont think motor trend or car and driver ever get paid off to put a car on top, you fooling yourselves. It happens all the time. Not just chevy or ford. Its done ALL THE TIME. They are known for this actually. Why the hell would the boss slow down a full 2 seconds during this certain comparison? But this is LS1tech... so people of course will take the zl1 to the grave with them.

The ZL1 is the best car ever.. happy? I wish i had one... shouldnt have bought my car. CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEEEEEVYYYYYYYY!!!!! Im done with this thread.. Peace out hommies!
Personally, I'd take the new GT500 seven days a week over the ZL1. It looks way better, it makes WAY more power, I like the interior a lot better, and from the sounds of it, it handles PLENTY well enough for my needs as it sits. I doubt I'd even mod the thing. I'm more than fine with a 100% factory, 600 rwhp street car that looks mean as hell and retains the full warranty. I'd have a blast for the next couple years just seeing what I could get out of it as a driver with nothing more than stock tires and then drag radials.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
I put this in another thread but it applies here also... here it comes...lol

We all know that Chevy has detuned the Camaro's for years... if they push the envelope it will cause them to spend more money on the R&D for the Vette's to keep them out in front. Ford for as long as i can remember has only made one performance car being the Mustang... Chevy had several thru the years... the chevelle, malibu, nova, and camaro where all knocked down as to not out perform the Vette. But Ford has had the Mustang on top of there line... let Shelby play with it, lil Saleen action and the Roush version... All the top of there class to compete with the Vette... When Chevy gets there head out of their exhaust the ZL1 with eat the GT500 for breakfast and push the hell out of a Z06 but still bow down to the ZR1... Nissan did it years ago with the 300ZX twin turbo killing everything in production including the Mustangs and Vettes but politely taking it in the rear from the Skylines...
mustang
cobra
gran torino
galaxy 500
fairlane
falcon
maverick
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daz
Makes senses I got it !

Its like that british car show Top Gear, it seems that they hate American cars in general. When they do comparisons they're always drifting the American cars around the track while the others cars are driven in a real race fashion.
agreed. It drives me up a wall to read stuff like that. I want to read about legit tests and track data... not whats in most articles. In the first boss article done alone, they stated they were hesistant about it having a solid axle due to the bumpy track (the one down side to solid axle is hitting a bump). But then later stated that even though at times u felt awkward with the solid axle, it would stay planted on bumps and were able to power through the turns and it didnt have the slightest bit of loss of traction which was impressive to them for the solid axle. During the testing with the zl1 (mind u its the laguna now which has FAR better tires then the standard boss), they stated they had to let out on a few turns because they did not trust the solid axle keeping the back of the car planted.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? You said in your first article that you could push it to the edge and it gripped on a pirelli tire, but in the second article you didnt trust the same car on a competition tire????? Things like that are where they swung points in the favor of the zl1.

If you compared the original times of the boss to the zl1, it is in fact a drivers race on the track. The boss proved to be the more drivers car while the zl1 proved to be the more comfortable consumer track car. Neither car bad, just different tastes.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Personally, I'd take the new GT500 seven days a week over the ZL1. It looks way better, it makes WAY more power, I like the interior a lot better, and from the sounds of it, it handles PLENTY well enough for my needs as it sits. I doubt I'd even mod the thing. I'm more than fine with a 100% factory, 600 rwhp street car that looks mean as hell and retains the full warranty. I'd have a blast for the next couple years just seeing what I could get out of it as a driver with nothing more than stock tires and then drag radials.
from what ive seen and read in tests, the GT500 is just as capable around a road course as the boss is, however prone to a bit more over steer as it has a much more torquey throttle kick to it and is much more nose heavy.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think you missed the point of that...lol all the brands had several cars that they built... the Mustang has always been Ford's number 1 sports car. The ones you named are nice Fords but, none did for Ford what the Mustang has like the Vette for Chevy... And the Cobra is a Mustang still...

Chevy- Vette
Ford- Mustang
Dodge- Dart, Challenger, Cuda?
Pontiac- Firebird

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
mustang
cobra
gran torino
galaxy 500
fairlane
falcon
maverick
Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
The thing is it's harder address the handling short comings of the Mustang then it is to make more power out of the Camaro.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The thing is it's harder address the handling short comings of the Mustang then it is to make more power out of the Camaro.
Hio... i would love to take you for a ride in my car just to show you the mustangs "short comings" because theres is nothing short about the GT500s handling capabilities. Not for nothing, but add 100whp to the zl1... im willing to bet it has a bit of an over steer issue.

But regardless of all of that ricer comparison ish... Chances are if you get 2 of these cars near each other on the street, they will more likely be pushed closer to there limitations in a straight line then on a turn.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I seen your point... but still it comes down to the buyers. With the correct pocket depth you can make either car out perform the other... I'm a Chevy guy since birth but would take the Shelby in this given situation. Sorry grandpa...

agreed. It drives me up a wall to read stuff like that. I want to read about legit tests and track data... not whats in most articles. In the first boss article done alone, they stated they were hesistant about it having a solid axle due to the bumpy track (the one down side to solid axle is hitting a bump). But then later stated that even though at times u felt awkward with the solid axle, it would stay planted on bumps and were able to power through the turns and it didnt have the slightest bit of loss of traction which was impressive to them for the solid axle. During the testing with the zl1 (mind u its the laguna now which has FAR better tires then the standard boss), they stated they had to let out on a few turns because they did not trust the solid axle keeping the back of the car planted.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? You said in your first article that you could push it to the edge and it gripped on a pirelli tire, but in the second article you didnt trust the same car on a competition tire????? Things like that are where they swung points in the favor of the zl1.

If you compared the original times of the boss to the zl1, it is in fact a drivers race on the track. The boss proved to be the more drivers car while the zl1 proved to be the more comfortable consumer track car. Neither car bad, just different tastes.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I seen your point... but still it comes down to the buyers. With the correct pocket depth you can make either car out perform the other... I'm a Chevy guy since birth but would take the Shelby in this given situation. Sorry grandpa...
In this comparison... id take the GT500... but i would take the boss over both... but i would take a c6 z06 over the boss. See what i did there?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Coupe Dave
Wrong. Not in the case of the ZL1 at least.
doubtful in the shelby too. didnt they run it 35 consecutive runs at the dragstrip? i think it'll be fine.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Coupe Dave
Agreed. And this coming from a Mustang guy too.
ya know on that post you quoted? go looking through all the zl1 vs shelby threads. you'll find more chevy guys putting the zl down than you might imagine.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

yep, i follow ya

In this comparison... id take the GT500... but i would take the boss over both... but i would take a c6 z06 over the boss. See what i did there?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Hio... i would love to take you for a ride in my car just to show you the mustangs "short comings" because theres is nothing short about the GT500s handling capabilities. Not for nothing, but add 100whp to the zl1... im willing to bet it has a bit of an over steer issue.

But regardless of all of that ricer comparison ish... Chances are if you get 2 of these cars near each other on the street, they will more likely be pushed closer to there limitations in a straight line then on a turn.
I'm sure your car handles good as I'm sure the gt500 does. Have you drove a fe4 '12 camaro? They handle pretty damn good too. I would love to see a test between the boss and '12 Camaro on the roadcoarse. The 1Le should do pretty well also. It's pretty hard to beat IRS in most handling situations and a car with 50% weight distribution..
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure your car handles good as I'm sure the gt500 does. Have you drove a fe4 '12 camaro? They handle pretty damn good too. I would love to see a test between the boss and '12 Camaro on the roadcoarse. The 1Le should do pretty well also. It's pretty hard to beat IRS in most handling situations and a car with 50% weight distribution..
Saw a youtube video a while back of an SS camaro racing a boss around the track. Both drivers race the track and know it well.. Boss started off behind the SS. By the end of the race you couldnt even see the Boss on the camaros go pro.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Having chased Evan around off-ramps and various curves, i can vouch for the fact that his Boss can turn a corner. I haven't driven Evan's car, but i have driven the regular 5.0 and the '12 SS, and the 5.0 is better.

The one i drove had crap tires on it (not a brembo package car) and was about as good as the SS. With comparable rubber it's no question the mustang is better.

The SS feels huge, very nose heavy. It doesn't turn in very well and the steering doesn't offer the feedback of the mustangs.

Overall i think the SS looks better and is a better quality vehicle overall (interior and general build quality) than the 5.0, but the 5.0 is the better car to drive.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

i think you missed the point of that...lol all the brands had several cars that they built... the Mustang has always been Ford's number 1 sports car. The ones you named are nice Fords but, none did for Ford what the Mustang has like the Vette for Chevy... And the Cobra is a Mustang still...

Chevy- Vette
Ford- Mustang
Pontiac- Firebird
i was just arguing.

the cobra, btw isn't a mustang. the cobra whipped the vettes *** for a few years. and ferrari's too.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a Chevy guy to heart also but I would go for the ZL1 because I think it has a lot of potential in it. I love the way it looks(I had a '67 !)and I think it handles great for it weight, plus its not that much slower IMO for a car with less HP and more weight, not bad !
Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

As I said, in bone stock form straight off the showroom floor with a full warranty, that GT500 is going to handle well enough and put down more than enough power to fit my needs for a true street car. I have much more of a rider/driver improvement type of personality rather than a mod it to go faster mentality. My bike is a perfect example. Every time I've taken this bike to the strip, I went faster every time (and continued to improve all day the last day until they shut down for rain). Why mod it if I'm continuing to improve? I'd rather spend more time getting that 10.8 out of it stock than mod it to go low 10's next week, which I could easily do if I felt like it.

On a road course, this rider/driver improvement potential is magnified about a thousand times. It could literally take an amateur rider/driver years to hit their full potential on a road course with a new, factory stock car or bike, especially if they don't get to a ton of track days throughout the year. To me, the fun of racing is seeing improvement in myself, not the car or bike. On the road course, I ride mid-pack with the advanced group on a stock 600 with street tires, and there's still plenty left in this bike with more improvement in myself. Why mod it if I can go faster by improving myself first? The situation is the same with a car for me.

Anyone can spend money to go faster, but I'm much more impressed and pleased when I see someone greatly improve their times in a stock vehicle over the course of a couple seasons than seeing their buddy spend $10k in mods on the same car and run a second or two faster than that. But that's just me. Everyone has their own thing they enjoy doing. A stock '13 GT500 would satisfy my desire to practice and see improvement for years to come, as would a ZL1, most likely, but the GT500 looks way better.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 06-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Chevy- Vette
Ford- Mustang
Pontiac- Firebird
You keep forgetting the Ford GT...during its short-lived production, it was Ford's #1 sports car.

Quick Reply: ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)