Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cat back 02 WS6 vs cat back 01 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back 02 WS6 vs cat back 01 Vette

Last friday I was able to run with my buddy's 01 vette. Both are M6 cars. He had a passenger. As far as I know his car only has some kind of cat back and a k&n system. My car is bone stock except for the Pypes cat back. We got in third gear and we slowed down to about 50. He gave the three honks and we took off. We were DEAD EVEN all throughout third gear. Then he shifted into fourth and I backed off because I was approaching traffic in my lane. (plus I wasnt ready to go that fast on a busy highway at 4:30pm lol.)

Does this sound about right? I don't have too much street experience. Do you think his passenger made that much of a difference and made us even?

Last edited by homerz28; 06-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Stock for stock the two cars are very close. I'd normally say you could have started in 2nd gear, but since you were both in 3rd, it wouldn't have made too much difference unless one can drive better
Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Haha. to tell you the truth I can't remember exactly the speed we slowed to. We tried to do another pull right after that, but my clutch was mad at me. I think this has something to do with the needed drill mod I have read about on here. After I run her hard she don't wanna engage or something. So we slowed down more this time and he went into second, but mine didn't want to. I finally got it into third.. so yeah that roll didn't work out too good for me lol.

Even though, he was really surprised that my car ran right with him. I told him maybe mine was one that came with the LS6 block and gave him an evil smile...
I have never actually checked it.
( I know, they SAY it makes no difference)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homerz28
Haha. to tell you the truth I can't remember exactly the speed we slowed to. We tried to do another pull right after that, but my clutch was mad at me. I think this has something to do with the needed drill mod I have read about on here. After I run her hard she don't wanna engage or something. So we slowed down more this time and he went into second, but mine didn't want to. I finally got it into third.. so yeah that roll didn't work out too good for me lol.

Even though, he was really surprised that my car ran right with him. I told him maybe mine was one that came with the LS6 block and gave him an evil smile...
I have never actually checked it.
( I know, they SAY it makes no difference)
Nope, none at all.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

F bodies alot of times would actually put down more power due to the solid rear vs the IRS and no the LS6 block had no bearing on power.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Ive ran plenty of vettes when i had just a cat back, and It was pretty even.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good runs OP. The 2 cars are very close and the passenger definitely hurt him a little bit. If you get the chance run him again from say a 40 roll both of you in second gear and see what the outcome is. In my experience they are really close. Here is my car vs a vette several years ago.

That Vette turned out to be not stock. It had a K&N filter cat back exhaust and a diablosport tune.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks Big Bird. but the next time I run him it will be with my ARHs on (non-catted) !! They should come in any day now. can't wait!

I'm hoping the cops had rather pull over a yellow corvette than a black trans am...

Based on your vid, I guess I can say I'll beat him from a roll..
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

The ONLY difference between your rides is your added weight. Him having a passenger made the difference. Those Vettes also have worse gearing btw, but there light weight makes up for it (3250lbs versus your probably 3450lbs)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
The ONLY difference between your rides is your added weight. Him having a passenger made the difference. Those Vettes also have worse gearing btw, but there light weight makes up for it (3250lbs versus your probably 3450lbs)

It's funny you say the weight of 3450lbs. I weighed my car at the track this past Friday and it was EXACTLY 3450lbs. No driver (160lbs) and 1/4 tank of gas.

OP I think you will have him if you put the headers on from a dig or roll. Of course that is with traction being the same for both cars. If you want to borrow them I got some drag radials for a little added insurance.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
It's funny you say the weight of 3450lbs. I weighed my car at the track this past Friday and it was EXACTLY 3450lbs. No driver (160lbs) and 1/4 tank of gas.

OP I think you will have him if you put the headers on from a dig or roll. Of course that is with traction being the same for both cars. If you want to borrow them I got some drag radials for a little added insurance.
haha I love being right on my guesses!

OP, I would take bigbird up on his DR offer: nothing convinces faster then seeing the improvement first hand!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Bigbird- Aw hell man I forgot you're my buddy from the car meet! I forgot your name man! But I don't wanna go from a roll cause like I said my car doesn't wanna shift at WOT sometimes.

Plus he don't have drag radials and it would just give him excuses Haha, No, he's cool but it wouldn't be fair.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bigbird- Aw hell man I forgot you're my buddy from the car meet! I forgot your name man! But I don't wanna go from a roll cause like I said my car doesn't wanna shift at WOT sometimes.

Plus he don't have drag radials and it would just give him excuses Haha, No, he's cool but it wouldn't be fair.
That's cool man I don't remember your name either LOL. My name is Matt btw. Maybe I will see you around sometime. Just remember look out for the SLOMARO!!!

Wait you don't wanna go from a roll why?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Launching!

That's cool man I don't remember your name either LOL. My name is Matt btw. Maybe I will see you around sometime. Just remember look out for the SLOMARO!!!

Wait you don't wanna go from a roll why?
Shoot my bad i meant from a dig.
-Zack
Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

When I weighed my 01 it was 3440lbs (full weight, full tank of gas).. pretty normal weight unless you have a vert or fully optioned car.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
When I weighed my 01 it was 3440lbs (full weight, full tank of gas).. pretty normal weight unless you have a vert or fully optioned car.
What options would cause a weight difference? 6 disk changer? Traction control?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah my car is a fully optioned SS from SLP. Mine was 1/4 tank of gas though. My car needs some Jenny Craig like something fierce. Lol
Old 06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

What options would cause a weight difference? 6 disk changer? Traction control?
Leather, SS package, traction control, disk changer, convertible, manual vs auto, etc

My car basically has cruise, a/c, power windows and a power seat. My 16inch snowflakes and 245 width tires are surprisingly light but I do have t-tops so it could be a little big lighter if I had no t-tops, no a/c (old 1LE package), or manual windows/no power seat. I would guess the majority of Z28 cars are about my weight... the SS cars I would expect to be just a little bit heavier but not much. Pontiacs I've seen with some hefty weights listed but I'm not sure what causes that, the formula cars should mirror the Z28 in weight.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Pontiacs I've seen with some hefty weights listed but I'm not sure what causes that, the formula cars should mirror the Z28 in weight.
It must be the "***** magnets," which are hidden inside the ram air nostrils.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Lmao! Lord knows the Camaro didn't get any of those!!!