Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I think Ford has done a great job recently with alot of their cars. But if I'm gonna buy one of these 2 as a toy to mod. I can guarantee you mine will out perform a GT500. Both cars are fast, the Gt500 is faster. But the ls platform has more room to grow and a better chassis to do it in.
One aspect I do agree with, is that the Ls has more room to grow; to a certain extent. Much more aftermarket support and parts interchangeability for the LS. But the GT500's forged internals make it so much easier to make stupid power without tearing the motor apart. I know, I know...the stock cast LS rotating assembly is still stout, but it can't touch forged parts.

Chassis wise I'm not sure what to think. Because the Boss can hand the ZL1 it's *** on a twisty track, but the ZL1 has been shown to beat the GT500 and vice-versa???
Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Ford has done a great job recently with alot of their cars. But if I'm gonna buy one of these 2 as a toy to mod. I can guarantee you mine will out perform a GT500. Both cars are fast, the Gt500 is faster. But the ls platform has more room to grow and a better chassis to do it in.
i understand this and no ones going to buy one and leave it stock. the point has been doing the same mods to both the gt500 will still win. you say you will beat a gt500 if you own one well ok, what about the gt500 you race? what if hes not stock and has mods as well? the gap isnt as closed as you think. at the end of the day it really comes down to money. anybody with a million bucks can make even a geo metro blow the goddam doors off a buggati. its all about having fun with what you chose and as long as YOU like it. as i said in another thread theres always that neighborhood douche whos going to pour his whole paycheck into his car and one day beat you. as long as your happy with your **** who the hell cares.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by usnfenix
so every zl1 that has lost to a gt500 is because of a bad driver? nothing to do with the 100 more hp? sounds like ricer excuses to me...
there are also numerous videos of zl1's spanking some pony ***.and the zl1's that have lost are counted
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM
wbt
Teching In

So is this your car.....or are you talking out your *** like ohio did with his bolt-on 5.0?
Yes that is my car. Click into my channel and you will find many more vids at the track with my 2011 and 2012 5.0's.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by why87
One aspect I do agree with, is that the Ls has more room to grow; to a certain extent. Much more aftermarket support and parts interchangeability for the LS. But the GT500's forged internals make it so much easier to make stupid power without tearing the motor apart. I know, I know...the stock cast LS rotating assembly is still stout, but it can't touch forged parts.

Chassis wise I'm not sure what to think. Because the Boss can hand the ZL1 it's *** on a twisty track, but the ZL1 has been shown to beat the GT500 and vice-versa???
The thing is the Ford is gonna need a alternative fuel or meth before the ZL will. Ford needed to go forged because like the old mod motors just are'nt that strong. One of the "shop" gt500 has blown. Sure it was fast, but it has to be fast and hold up.

The zl bitch slapps the LS Boss on a road coarse....so does the 1le. I don't know where you come up with the Boss winning on a rc.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
I read about ur car on the internet. Guess thats bullshit too...
To a simple mind, 6.2>5.8, ZOMG, LSA is great. Don't talk about forged vs. cast, 32V, etc.... Keep in simple.

Hi Ho Silver, Away.....

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
wbt
Teching In

Love the words at the end!!! Bad *** pass!!! Not bad for a litto 5.0.

What are ya mods???
Thanks!

If you look at the video description or click the More info in the upper right it will bring up the list.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
Yes that is my car. Click into my channel and you will find many more vids at the track with my 2011 and 2012 5.0's.
Good job with it. Finally a 5.0 that lives up to what ohio yakks about.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
wbt
Teching In

The thing is the Ford is gonna need a alternative fuel or meth before the ZL will. Ford needed to go forged because like the old mod motors just are'nt that strong. One of the "shop" gt500 has blown. Sure it was fast, but it has to be fast and hold up.

The zl bitch slapps the LS Boss on a road coarse....so does the 1le. I don't know where you come up with the Boss winning on a rc.
So that "shop" car was making close to 1000HP on the stock long block. Do you expect a non-forged LSA to do the same?

Why is the Ford gonna need alternative fuel or meth before? How do you quantify that?

You really have no clue when it comes to Ford's. The modular motors are some of the strongest engines Ford has made.

You are making **** up now. Camaro5 would be honored to have a member like you.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM
wbt
Teching In

Good job with it. Finally a 5.0 that lives up to what ohio yakks about.
There are plenty of bolt-on 5.0's that run great:

http://www.modularfords.com/f259/bol...gt-5-a-185818/
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

if you can't drive your car don't bother racing lol
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
So that "shop" car was making close to 1000HP on the stock long block. Do you expect a non-forged LSA to do the same?

Why is the Ford gonna need alternative fuel or meth before? How do you quantify that?

You really have no clue when it comes to Ford's. The modular motors are some of the strongest engines Ford has made.

You are making **** up now. Camaro5 would be honored to have a member like you.
Yes I do. The ford is smaller and running more boost, it's gonna need a fuel first. I have seen multiple n/a mod motors huffing anti freeze at the dragstrip, my ford termi motor is blown up right now. The mod motors are probably the strongest motors ford ever mad.......and that's not saying much.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM
wbt
Teching In

Yes I do. The ford is smaller and running more boost, it's gonna need a fuel first. I have seen multiple n/a mod motors huffing anti freeze at the dragstrip, my ford termi motor is blown up right now. The mod motors are probably the strongest motors ford ever mad.......and that's not saying much.
Sounds like you have no idea what you are doing. I have seen plenty of them at the track myself. I have yet to see a single common mod motor failure due to a poor design. What I do see are plenty of failures when idiots get involved regardless of brand.

...and saying the Ford needs fuel first is a compliment to what it is able to achieve on factory parts. It doesn't matter that it is smaller CI or running more boost. That isn't even a valid point. You pulley and add an aggressive tune to the LSA and guess what, you are going to have to run more octane and will still be behind the GT500 with the same mods done.

You can't come up with a single valid anything in your arguments.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

You just keep trying to argue the truth. I did'nt build my Ford....Ford did, so that blow your excuse for that right out the window.

Now my ls6 on the other hand has been alive for 80k worth of abuse. Kinda a blows me not knowing what I'm doin out the window too. Not to mention the last 6 times to the track has had a new best in et or mph or both. Seems to keep getting stronger.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 08-22-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

LOL! Stop putting words in my mouth. I know damn well it isnt maxed out. Not even close. Kenne Bell just made over 900rwhp with one on pump gas. I suggest you go on SVTP and search my name and look at my posts. I know everything there is to know about the new 5.8. Ive been following it since the ZL1 was released, already been banned from camaro5 a couple of times for spitting facts. Im telling you now the ZL1 dont have **** for the GT500 stock or mod for mod.

Do yall honestly think the LSA is capable of producing more HP reliably over the 5.8?? It cant. You factor that fact with the fact the the car is HEAVIER than the Shelby and it should paint a picture clear as day for you.

Thats a DAMN IMPRESSIVE running LS2!!!
I asked you a question so therefore not putting words in your mouth. I don't care about none of that **** you read on either site cause they both make me laugh. You need to learn more about the 6.2 if you think it's that limited.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:51 PM
wbt
Teching In

You just keep trying to argue the truth. I did'nt build my Ford....Ford did, so that blow your excuse for that right out the window.

Now my ls6 on the other hand has been alive for 80k worth of abuse. Kinda a blows me not knowing what I'm doin out the window too.
No it doesn't....anyone can build a motor and put it in a car. How does that constitute the LSx being a better motor?

I built a 11 sec. N/A Foxbody out of a junkyard with a 60K mile 302. I never had an issue with that motor and ran the **** out of it. Much weaker engine than any mod motor Ford has produced.

The only argument you have is, "The LSx is a stronger motor 'cause I said so." . That doesn't hold an ounce of worth.

What mods were done to the Cobra before you blew it up?

What times have you run at the track with your "mighty" LS6? N/A or power adder? Time slip or video?

Ron White said it best...."You can't fix stupid.".

Last edited by wbt; 08-22-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres a big factor no one has talked about...that is a very important factor... Combustion chamber design. If we are building 2 all out cars that have to stay pump gas with no meth... my vote is gt500.. The modular cylinder head design has always (and i was a chevy guy and still agreed with this) been far better under boost as far as detonation is concerned. You will be able to get more power out of the gt500 before detonation issues occur. Again, this is pump gas no meth....

Either way. In stock form the zl1 failed... in after market terms, sure it can be built fast. But who wants to buy a 55+k car just to build it into a race car.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
No it doesn't....anyone can build a motor and put it in a car. How does that constitute the LSx being a better motor?

I built a 11 sec. N/A Foxbody out of a junkyard with a 60K mile 302. I never had an issue with that motor and ran the **** out of it. Much weaker engine than any mod motor Ford has produced.

The only argument you have is, "The LSx is a stronger motor 'cause I said so." . That doesn't hold an ounce of worth.

What mods were done to the Cobra before you blew it up?

What times have you run at the track with your "mighty" LS6?

Ron White said it best...."You can't fix stupid.".
Just a pulley and exhaust on the termi motor. it's in a notch.

The mighty n/a ls6 has went 11.1 @ 130 last time out with all the seats in the car and in street trim on a nitto. I've posted vids and slips on here. The 130 vid is a shitty cell vid. The vid of it goin 11.1 @126.xx is good.

There is no doubt the lsx is stronger/more powerful than a mod motor. That's why companies make k-members to put them in a ford and not the other way around. You should work on fixing stupid if you can't figure that one out on your own.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 08-23-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm just hoping that the ZL1 is de-tuned significantly from the factory. I've seen pulley swapped CTS-V's putting a hurting on Base Vettes. Haven't seen a ZL1 win a race yet.

On paper the CTS is faster, but I'll like to see them run for real.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I asked you a question so therefore not putting words in your mouth. I don't care about none of that **** you read on either site cause they both make me laugh. You need to learn more about the 6.2 if you think it's that limited.
6.2? Which 6.2? Im sure you know there is more than one, and everyone has differet limits.

Can a LSA (6.2) make 700+ rwhp? Sure but for how long? Would it last longer than a 5.4 or 5.8 at that level? Not a chance in hell. Are you saying that cast pistons are stronger than forged? Better yet, lets be a little more direct. Are you saying the LSA's pistons are stronger than the 5.8's?

The lsa are stout engines considering they arent forged. Im not taking that from it. I never said it was "that limited". What i am saying is its more limited than either the 5.4 or 5.8.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs ZL1