Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Dont race modded bikes! I repeat DONT RACE MODDED BIKES! (my dyno #: 483rwhp 588rwtq)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002Z06yellow
as i said before, drag racing is one thing and street racing is another.. u wont understand until you see a 12 sec car beating a 10 second bike from a roll

i know he tried to wheelie me... but he didnt do it for long and when he put his bike back on the ground he didnt have a chance by the time we get to 4th... i think you forget how much drag slows bikes at top speed...

he might beat me if we race again from 2nd since all of you guys are sure about it... but it defintley wont be an easy kill for him..
drag dosent slow bikes nearly as much as cars, read my post, my 138 mph trap speed..... is like an 8 or a 9 second drag car, but I'm only doin mid 10's, the bikes are the ones w/ easier accelleration at high speeds
Old 04-19-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
It doesn't take weight.....It takes *****.
if you dont have the weight to lean on the front end of such a heavy bike when the front end kicks up you definately dont want to slam on that rear brake good way to hit your head on your tank besides I like to go fast not be afraid for my life everytime my hand touches the throttle
Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Assassin
drag dosent slow bikes nearly as much as cars, read my post, my 138 mph trap speed..... is like an 8 or a 9 second drag car, but I'm only doin mid 10's, the bikes are the ones w/ easier accelleration at high speeds
Dunno about that but I won't argue with ya there. On the other hand, the power to weight equation does not factor as heavily when the mass is already moving. So, on a bike, the biggest advantage for the power to weight gig is on initial acceleration. Once things are moving that huge advantage becomes only large in comparison......
Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
1604 going towards I-10.

Havent seen you around any of the sonic meets? Do you know about them? If not come to Sonic on De zavala on tuesdays around 8-10. I dont go there all the time but every now and then.
Yeah i know about them. Ill be there tommrow...
Im always on dezavala
Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
Dunno about that but I won't argue with ya there. On the other hand, the power to weight equation does not factor as heavily when the mass is already moving. So, on a bike, the biggest advantage for the power to weight gig is on initial acceleration. Once things are moving that huge advantage becomes only large in comparison......
Yes, definitely... the moment of inertia is much higher for a car than a bike...
Old 04-20-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will try to come out to there tomorrow guys at the UTSA stuff, some guys from Austin might come in as well, but who knows. I would like to meet you both out there!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
I will try to come out to there tomorrow guys at the UTSA stuff...
What do you mean "utsa stuff"? Most people are going to be in Sonic at De Zavala exit (1 exit away from UTSA BLVD) on I-10. I hope everyone shows up this time.

Get your austin buddies with you.
We always enjoy more and more fbody enthusiasts. Welcome .
Old 04-20-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I wish I could go but even if I could I dont have the money to pay $2 a gallon on a 8mpg car
Old 04-21-2004, 11:17 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You're trying to compete with something that's designed to run high 9's from the factory and weighs 1/16th of your car...
If that was true, they wouldn't be set up how they are. They are clearly NOT designed for drag racing.

Check your math again on the 1/16. 1/8 is more likely. And about 1/6 with rider.

About the aerodynamic advantage of cars, yes cars have it on the highway. And there are some 12 second cars who can walk a 10 second bike (older 600's usually).

But the power of a newer 1 liter bike won't be touched by anything without 130+ mph trap speeds. Just not gonna happen.

160 RWHP on a 450 lb bike has a way of negating aerodynamics.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Mass plays the same role on acceleration at 0 mph as it does at 100 mph - Mass has a constant relationship accel. As speed increases, wind resistance comes into play and it's relationship with accel increases exponentially.

Bikes suffer more from wind resistance then cars do. Cars in general have a larger frontal area, but usually have a better net coefficient of friction and more total power. If you look at a time vs. speed chart for a bike, it will be climbing faster in the first half then the chart for a car with the SAME TOP SPEED. The second half of the chart, the car's chart will climb faster, until the two charts meet at top speed. Of course the bike will be ahead of the car if they ran side by side though due to greater overall area under the curve. The steepness of the chart at any point in time is the acceleration of course, and the area under the curve will represent distance covered.

If look at the speed where the charts intersect and start the race from that speed, the car will actually pull ahead and stay ahead once top speed is reached (this is where the theory that bikes can be beaten from a roll comes from). Of course this is only true if the car's total wind resistance/power ratio is better then the bike's, which is often the case.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I'll buy a nitrous kit (100 shot) to put on my car and then
I'll let my buddy ride my bike and we'll see who can pull who?
I think the bike would still pull ahead slightly.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

you think?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:00 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

With a 400 shot it'd be a good race.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Draco
Mass plays the same role on acceleration at 0 mph as it does at 100 mph - Mass has a constant relationship accel. As speed increases, wind resistance comes into play and it's relationship with accel increases exponentially.

Bikes suffer more from wind resistance then cars do. Cars in general have a larger frontal area, but usually have a better net coefficient of friction and more total power. If you look at a time vs. speed chart for a bike, it will be climbing faster in the first half then the chart for a car with the SAME TOP SPEED. The second half of the chart, the car's chart will climb faster, until the two charts meet at top speed. Of course the bike will be ahead of the car if they ran side by side though due to greater overall area under the curve. The steepness of the chart at any point in time is the acceleration of course, and the area under the curve will represent distance covered.

If look at the speed where the charts intersect and start the race from that speed, the car will actually pull ahead and stay ahead once top speed is reached (this is where the theory that bikes can be beaten from a roll comes from). Of course this is only true if the car's total wind resistance/power ratio is better then the bike's, which is often the case.
Listen to this guy he knows what hes talking about. My Z06 weighs 3080#s the bike 450, sure thats a 6:1 weight difference would be tough to beat even a poor rider from a dig. But from a 65 mph roll things change dramatically. Very few people really know how to ride or push a bike also. Did I mention she aint stock. I also suprised a pretty quick supra during the recent meet in Houston, wasnt one of the 1000rwhp monsters but it also wasnt too shabby (single turbo). My cousin has some video of his friend literally destroying a Busa from a highway roll with his Supra, it however is a monster.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 04-21-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Here is a video of a 600rwhp Trans Am versus an R1:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/.../brycetroy.wmv
Old 04-25-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James1

Somebody should post up Harlan's vid...
Old 04-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by enisguy
Somebody should post up Harlan's vid...

You mean where he hits it while an old, heavy 1997 Yamaha YZF ThunderRace is doing a wheelie? C'mon...half of that "race", the bike was stunting (doing a wheelie). You guys are too funny. If he raced that GSXR 1000 he would have gotten OWNED!
Old 04-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Restricted User

A car, any car (most cars on here), have no chance against a 1990 and up bike with a good rider. My '87 GSXR750 (even older) I rode to 11.90's, stock magazine time was 11.93's. My '88 GSXR1100 I rode to 10.90's, stock mag. time was 10.98's. The same goes for cars...one driver can run a stock Camaro to 13.3's, another good driver can get the same car to 12.80's. The 1998 and up bikes are getting more and more HP every year. It takes a terrible driver to not beat an F-bod or C5 with a bike. I see most cars on here run 11's and 12's...not sure where they get the idea they can beat a bike? I guess it's always fun to stop light race but to each his own.

An afterthought, here is 'the family' bike:
LedSLED Racing StreetBike Shootout Bike GSXR1100 chassis (no slick, no wheelie bar)**NEW best time - 1/8th 5.14 @150, 1/4 7.83@185mph**. We took 2nd place at Florida World Finals on Nov.16th 2003! - thanks to: Super Dave Stewart

I'm also the owner of LedSLED Motorsports.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

2004 Gixxer 1k with a good driver should do high 9's stock at 135+mph..
Old 04-25-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by James1

600rwhp? NO WAY. Just listen to how long it takes the TA to shift! Seriously! Play the vid again and listen carefully.

James1, not trying to start crap here but you gotta be mistaken man..
If not please let us know more about this race.. Was the R1 HIGHLY modded? I am interested to know more about this..

Very confused now. Im not even making 500rwhp and I was a couple of car lengths behind a CAMMED GSXR 1000 . 1 Thing for sure is that a GSXR 1000 kills an R1 anyday which makes everything much more confusing.

what the hell is going on here?

Is the TA owner on board? Would like to talk to him about that race.. his car didnt sound like a 600rwhp car.

Not trying to bash but I would of prolly thought this TA was stock if I knew nothing about this vid...It didnt even sound like it has headers on there.