Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock ZL1 vs Bolt on 5.0 (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Still making dumbass accusations and absurd comparisons I see. It's not that the gt500 is all that bad. Your just to butt hurt to understand that the ZL1 is just that much better.

As far as my car goes. I don't expect a 4th gen designed in the early 90's to perform with either in most catagorys. But for what they are it took ford till 2011 to have anything for them .....think about that.
I fail to see, other than magazine reviews, anything the ZL1 does better in the REAL world and there are 100s of videos to prove it....

Um, the 03 Cobra kicked those cars out the door.

The mustang had zero competition for SEVEN years.....The best thing GM could come up with is a 4000# turd LOL
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Lol, Gto, g8, etc walked all mustangs of there time except the termies, so tell us how they had 0 competitor again please?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Still making dumbass accusations and absurd comparisons I see. It's not that the gt500 is all that bad. Your just to butt hurt to understand that the ZL1 is just that much better.

As far as my car goes. I don't expect a 4th gen designed in the early 90's to perform with either in most catagorys. But for what they are it took ford till 2011 to have anything for them .....think about that.

You really shouldn't call someone "dumb" or try to insult their intelligence with you making that last statement.

Even though you think that you bring so much to this board, on the same token your bias really clouds your judgement, causing you to make a lot of statements that are flat out wrong.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 88lx418
I fail to see, other than magazine reviews, anything the ZL1 does better in the REAL world and there are 100s of videos to prove it....

Um, the 03 Cobra kicked those cars out the door.

The mustang had zero competition for SEVEN years.....The best thing GM could come up with is a 4000# turd LOL
LOL....you walked right into that. I knew you would say something about the 03/04 Cobra's. Which buy the way were not much faster, especially when you consider it took a sc 32 v8 and about $38000 to get one. Someone recently posted a article from a ford mag that pitted a 03/04 against a Camaro SS on a road coarse. Go find it, read it, and wonder what would've happened if the SS had the optional SLP bilteins. It was already real close.
Originally Posted by Cwarta
Lol, Gto, g8, etc walked all mustangs of there time except the termies, so tell us how they had 0 competitor again please?
this. don't forget cts-v's and the v8 front drivers could cover 3v's with a few bolt-ons. Hell turbo balts have more potential than 3v's.
Originally Posted by Heater
You really shouldn't call someone "dumb" or try to insult their intelligence with you making that last statement.

Even though you think that you bring so much to this board, on the same token your bias really clouds your judgement, causing you to make a lot of statements that are flat out wrong.
Ford had enough problem out running gm trucks threw those years. No way your gonna bullshit us on the merits of 2v and 3v's. 4v's are not much count w/o boost and all but the 03/04 cobra's bolw up at around 450 wheel.....oh wait my my cobra engine blew up at 458whp.....so scratch that.

My judgement is not clouded. I'm working on my termi swapped notch right now. Trying to get that monstrosity of a motor figured out with it 15 idler pulleys and 25 coolant hoses. What a pos. When I called the ford dealer the other day I was bitching about the prices on that crap and about how well it held up. The ford parts guy said "yea, they're not very good"
Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
That is still not bottom 10's with bolt ons. So again your wrong.

The ZL1 ran 10.772 @ 130.32 with the following mods:
New Era Performance CAI
New Era Ported Stock Supercharger, Upper Pulley
KDI Heat Exchanger
Nick WIlliams 102 Throttle Body
ID 850cc fuel injectors
Custom Tuning by Mike @ New Era
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't know what he's trying to say either. He might be trying to compare his aftermarket boosted car to all gm stuff to prove his manhood. The problem is he still can't keep up with gm aftermarket/homemade boosted stock longblock pick up trucks.
Problem I have, no issues here. ZL1's are getting killed every where. Thats what the issue is. Drag strip, streets, road courses, just everywhere. But funny you mention people out running stuff when your engine swapped cut up car can't out run bolt on 5.0's.

I have yet to been beat by any comparable 5th gen that has same work as me. When I had my manual I didn't lose to no 5th or 4th gen. Even ones with heads/Cam. Out ET'd and trapped every one when we was at the track.

I od have a buddy with a truck that runs 8's with a TT setup on a built 5.3, C4 trans, etc etc. It also makes almost 2000whp. He better beat me.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Teching In

LOL....you walked right into that. I knew you would say something about the 03/04 Cobra's. Which buy the way were not much faster, especially when you consider it took a sc 32 v8 and about $38000 to get one. Someone recently posted a article from a ford mag that pitted a 03/04 against a Camaro SS on a road coarse. Go find it, read it, and wonder what would've happened if the SS had the optional SLP bilteins. It was already real close.
LOL, ******* idiot.

03 Cobras started at $32000, my buddy paid $33000 for his SS we both bought them brand new, back when you were playing with match box cars.

You got an entire different drivetrain with the 03, you got a hood some wheels and a few suspension parts with the SS, whoopity do!

What is it with this road race/magazine BS you keep spewing?? I don't see a single road race video anywhere in here.

You post here just to discredit anything other than an LS vehicle, and then bash fellow LS guys when their **** don't run like your old tin can....get a life, SHEESH
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Problem I have, no issues here. ZL1's are getting killed every where. Thats what the issue is. Drag strip, streets, road courses, just everywhere. But funny you mention people out running stuff when your engine swapped cut up car can't out run bolt on 5.0's.

I have yet to been beat by any comparable 5th gen that has same work as me. When I had my manual I didn't lose to no 5th or 4th gen. Even ones with heads/Cam. Out ET'd and trapped every one when we was at the track.

I od have a buddy with a truck that runs 8's with a TT setup on a built 5.3, C4 trans, etc etc. It also makes almost 2000whp. He better beat me.
I have only seen 2 ZL's and no 13' gt500's around me. So getting killed every where would be quite the exaggeration. Find me a bolt-on 5.0 to run. You always want to post these record cars that you yourself could not duplicate. At the track last weekend there was a new 5.0 that ran a best of 12.0 or 12.1 @ 116. It had a xpipe, tune intake, slicks and race gas. It was running in -800+ da. Notch's comparable bolt-on 99 Z28 went faster on a dot dr. Go preach that 5.0 **** elsewhere. You couldn't get it done n/a or with a stick......nuff said

And from that vid you posted of you accelerating.....you would have your hands full with me and boosted 5.0. Kinda sad for that much power really.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Things that come to mind...
Wow, what a freaking launch!
1/8 mile tracks are dumb.
New camaros are fat pigs.
Drag radials vs street tires at the track = stupid race
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
That is still not bottom 10's with bolt ons. So again your wrong.

The ZL1 ran 10.772 @ 130.32 with the following mods:
New Era Performance CAI
New Era Ported Stock Supercharger, Upper Pulley
KDI Heat Exchanger
Nick WIlliams 102 Throttle Body
ID 850cc fuel injectors
Custom Tuning by Mike @ New Era
You said H/C fanboy
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No doubt the camaro needs to go on a serious diet and the 13 gt spanks it bad at the 1/4 mile.

However...just plug em in on you tube and you'll find plenty of videos that will pick the ZL1 as the better choice for everyday driving, certainly a better rr car and the looks have grown on me.

The Moosetang is impressive no doubt, but I rr quite a bit and even with the gt getting better rubber it doesnt hang with the ZL1 except down the straights. With a lighter 4th gen setup for the venue and a 640hp 416 I spank both, but wouldn't dream of challenging either at a dragstrip and blowing up another stock rear end.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I still have the window sticker for my 03 Cobra ...$34,000
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dbs1
No doubt the camaro needs to go on a serious diet and the 13 gt spanks it bad at the 1/4 mile.

However...just plug em in on you tube and you'll find plenty of videos that will pick the ZL1 as the better choice for everyday driving, certainly a better rr car and the looks have grown on me.

The Moosetang is impressive no doubt, but I rr quite a bit and even with the gt getting better rubber it doesnt hang with the ZL1 except down the straights. With a lighter 4th gen setup for the venue and a 640hp 416 I spank both, but wouldn't dream of challenging either at a dragstrip and blowing up another stock rear end.
You have a 640hp 416ci and still run a stock 10 bolt.... ?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. Best/lightest setup for the $ for the rr gig. Just don't try to drag race with them!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dbs1
Yep. Best/lightest setup for the $ for the rr gig. Just don't try to drag race with them!
with 640hp, a dana 60 would slow that car down as much as you eating a cheeseburger before a race...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're looking at it from a drag racers perspective, not a road racers perspective. Much different.

Unfortunatley I USED to have a BB 67 camaro setup to run the qtr. With a little nitrous it would run high 9's (high 10's on motor). I started running the rr venue and found it much more fun, but lots harder on the car and weight/handling/braking every bit as important as acceleration. The car did well for what it was and very few could pass me on a straight, but those darn Z06's sure took advantage of me in the twisties.

This 02, though probably giving up 50-60hp/tq would out lap it, though I'd give it up in a minute to have the 1st gen back. It did everything well. But I've learned alot about the weight penalty. Drop 200-300 lbs off that ZL1 pig and just put a tune on one to lose that damnable TM and GM would have something. Why they went with the smaller sc is also a mystery???
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You might road race it... but that doesnt mean you wont break it. Ive had friends with literally bolt on ls1s break ring gears roll racing. What gear set do you run? One firm shift on a straight away could shear the teeth off right off..
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 88lx418
LOL, ******* idiot.

03 Cobras started at $32000, my buddy paid $33000 for his SS we both bought them brand new, back when you were playing with match box cars.

You got an entire different drivetrain with the 03, you got a hood some wheels and a few suspension parts with the SS, whoopity do!

What is it with this road race/magazine BS you keep spewing?? I don't see a single road race video anywhere in here.

You post here just to discredit anything other than an LS vehicle, and then bash fellow LS guys when their **** don't run like your old tin can....get a life, SHEESH
SS base was 26K... your buddy paid some dealer markup or had every bell and whistle possible.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
SS base was 26K... your buddy paid some dealer markup or had every bell and whistle possible.
No way you were picking up an SS new for anywhere near 26k....anything under 30k for that matter.

Average prices were between $31-33k for a coupe/hardtop; I got mine for $31,8xx out the door.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I sheared a tooth off a gear previously. Aftermarket 3.73 gears. Clutch issues/snycro isues car didn't want to go into 5th an found 3rd at 7000rpm. Drivers fault and wheel hopped shortly thereafter downshifting. This is after 2 years of beating on it pretty good though. Replaced with Motives new 3.55 gears which should be good for 145mph and avoiding that up shift to 5th.

Should I blow the rear any time soon then I'll have to consider another light weight version of something for sure.

Quick Reply: Stock ZL1 vs Bolt on 5.0 (Video)