Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Another Guy on a Bike Gets his Feelings Hurt…

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Just for the record, Ive been looking for a stock 600 to run in OKC for months. Everyone I know rides 1000+ bikes. Coworker just bought a 09 cbr600rr but hes only been riding for a month and im not comfortable racing him.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by germeezy1

Weight doesn't make as big of a difference from a roll as you start to get deep into triple digit speeds. POWER....POWER...POWER....aero (frontal area/ cd)...and gearing are the most important at high speeds. The 392 put down 447 rwhp bone stock , and its geared to work well from a freeway roll.
Most intelligent post I've read in here all day.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
600's topping out at 145-150 are either dinosaurs or geared.. my 07 gsxr 600 with only a slip on does 168 but thats electroniclly limited to that as are most modern sportbikes... simple TRE mod will take a 600 into the 170's
That's without any sort of speedo correction right?

PSMs speedo was off 8-9% (same bike as yours), and my 750 was off 9% also.

If we split the difference and say 8.5% (168/1.085= 154mph).

Stock speedo on my 750 would claim 186mph on a slight downhill, 183 on flat ground, but after it was corrected 9% based on actual GPS speed, it would read 169 on flat ground or 172 on slight downhills.

beans ...find a car to race and u can use my GSXR 600. with a go pro on the tank aimed at the gauges.. i want u to top it out in whatever race u get into.

my 07 zx10 has got to 192 a few time before it runs outta steam or i run outta room. ive been a motorcycle mechanic my whole life and have been on em since i was 13...my zx10 will give anything a race all the way up to 175-180 before the areo's become a factor and by then who's racing...?
That's a deal next time i'm in your neck of the woods.

My 750 is getting boosted, turbo build is in the works. When it's done you're welcome to throw a leg over it and have some fun in exchange for me beating on your 600.

I was hoping to have it done in 3-4 weeks but a little mishap with my DD and an elderly woman in a Camry is throwing a wrench in the works.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beans

Stock speedo on my 750 would claim 186mph on a slight downhill, 183 on flat ground, but after it was corrected 9% based on actual GPS speed, it would read 169 on flat ground or 172 on slight downhills.

My 750 is getting boosted, turbo build is in the works. When it's done you're welcome to throw a leg over it and have some fun in exchange for me beating on your 600.

I was hoping to have it done in 3-4 weeks but a little mishap with my DD and an elderly woman in a Camry is throwing a wrench in the works.
my zx10 has a speedo healer so that bike is on the money...the gsxr is just stock and hasnt even been started in prolly a year.lol ill wipe the dust off and throw a battery in it next time ur down
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

qft my 06gsxr was 10% off on the speedo. State trooper friend paced me in his patrol car at 55, 65, and 75. 10% faster on my speedo each time.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.tobefast.com/speedo-healer-m-4772.html
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Damn there's a lot of talking going on in here. OP, I havent fixed my tune yet but I'll run you whenever you want just to get a vid in here of a real race...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Damn there's a lot of talking going on in here. OP, I havent fixed my tune yet but I'll run you whenever you want just to get a vid in here of a real race...
That is a Good Looking Car sir!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Lots of talking in here and it's not the OP......

I never checked my 04 R1 with a GPS but I did on my 07 after I had went 1 down on the front sprocket and it was reading around 168 I believe. Which should be accurate since it took 11 mph off the top end. Bike would say I went 100 miles and I actually went ~92 miles but I never fixed it as I knew what it was really doing. I haven't tested my '11 ZX10r but I will once I can find my damn GPS......hopefully it's not too off at 65 mph.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stockz
That is a Good Looking Car sir!
I concur.. Very nice ride
Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vigilante375
Well considering I've ridden a friend 600 while he was gone and coming from a liter bike I did open it up a couple of times and I gave up after 150. It was taking too long, but I just take account of what I've read on the web. People I've rode with have 600s but I've never hung around to see where they top out at. Liter bikes top out around 189, same for Busa's and 14's which there is some world wide agreement to bikes being limited to that. Well it started sometime after the Busa came out since it was going 200 easily stock.

I've surely taken my 2 R1s (04 and 07) to 189 mph and it was still wanting to go.
Stock speedo's are very inaccurate, 6-10% on most bikes. Based on my own personal experience and my own bikes, assuming "recent" models (not brand new stuff but not old POS's):

Most Supersport 600s top out around 155-160.
Most Literbikes top out 180-185.
Most Hyperbikes like the Busa and ZX14 top out 180-195 (Yes, the older Busa's and 14s were slower in top speed then the new literbikes)

Of course there are exceptions especially based on the year...the new ZX10R and BMW S1000 can both be compared better to hyperbikes like the Busa's and 14's then the rest of the liter bikes - they are that far ahead of the pack. While still slower in the 1/4, they actually come around and start to pass Busa's and older 14's after ~160 due to better power:weight. Also, the 2012-2013 ZX14Rs got a big jump in power and can now hit 200mph stone stock and trap 150+ in the 1/4 at sea level.

The 186 limit "Gentlemans agreement" is an easy to circumvent computer limitation. You can grind a notch off the countersprocket nut to make the speedo read lower on older models(replacement is only 10-15 bucks so you can swap back after racing in 15 minutes), and on newer traction controlled bikes you can actually just cover a few slots in the rear reluctor wheel without removing anything.

Originally Posted by lemons12
Some guys need to understand.. A 600 is a 125mph bike easily.. Couple that with a very aggressive gearing and high mph shift points with no traction issues.. It is why it takes a minimum of a 130mph car to run with them in any normal race.. 500+rwhp for most of us.

I could care less about a 100mph roll.. Any normal race and a 120mph car Will look like it not racing.
This. I wouldn't even mess with a properly ridden 600 with less then ~600 rwhp from a dig or slow roll. If someone wants to run one from 100mph in a worse case scenario and then brag about it to stroke their E-Peen then its on them...whatever helps them sleep at night I guess.

Apologies for bringing logic and facts into this **** storm - you may proceed .
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Stock speedo's are very inaccurate, 6-10% on most bikes. Based on my own personal experience and my own bikes, assuming "recent" models (not brand new stuff but not old POS's):

Most Hyperbikes like the Busa and ZX14 top out 180-195 (Yes, the older Busa's and 14s were slower in top speed then the new literbikes)

Of course there are exceptions especially based on the year...the new ZX10R and BMW S1000 can both be compared better to hyperbikes like the Busa's and 14's then the rest of the liter bikes - they are that far ahead of the pack. While still slower in the 1/4, they actually come around and start to pass Busa's and older 14's after ~160 due to better power:weight. Also, the 2012-2013 ZX14Rs got a big jump in power and can now hit 200mph stone stock and trap 150+ in the 1/4 at sea level.

The 186 limit "Gentlemans agreement" is an easy to circumvent computer limitation. You can grind a notch off the countersprocket nut to make the speedo read lower on older models(replacement is only 10-15 bucks so you can swap back after racing in 15 minutes), and on newer traction controlled bikes you can actually just cover a few slots in the rear reluctor wheel without removing anything.

This. I wouldn't even mess with a properly ridden 600 with less then ~600 rwhp from a dig or slow roll. If someone wants to run one from 100mph in a worse case scenario and then brag about it to stroke their E-Peen then its on them...whatever helps them sleep at night I guess.

Next time ur in my area I owe u a beer... Those new zx10's and the BMW are retarded for sure! First time I've ever hopped on a stock bike and was blown away by the pure power they have stock. And I've rode em all..my buddy just sent his 12 zx10 head to carpenter for porting. I get the fun job of putting it all back together and degreeing the cams.. Ugh
Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck

+1

Everything he ^^^ posted it 100% correct...

A TRUE 170 mph 600cc Production Sportbike just doesn't exist... I have seen some highly modded ones break into the LOW 170s in SuperSport trim but... Not stuff you see riding on the street..

Factory speedos are so far off on all of the manufacturers sportbikes, its not even funny... 10% off is a ball park average. Let alone the guy that throws a -1 tooth sprocket up front and now his speedo is 20% fast....LOL

I have a LOT of experience drag racing and land speed racing sport bikes and I have tested a lot of setups over the last 15 years.

As for the average 600cc street bike vs. a car, most 3500lb cars with 475-500rwhp will walk a 600... maybe not from a slow roll but from a higher speed roll, the 600 will usually get walked.. Most 600s trap 120-125 mph in the 1/4 with an average weight rider and average skill... compared to a 500rwhp, 3500lb car that traps 128-130mph....Top end wise, the car will be much faster due to better aeros... Contrary to popular belief, bikes are quicker then they are fast, especially small CC bikes..

Interesting thread though...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my zx10 has a speedo healer so that bike is on the money...the gsxr is just stock and hasnt even been started in prolly a year.lol ill wipe the dust off and throw a battery in it next time ur down
It's great knowing I have a copy of my bike sitting at your house if anything ever comes up when I'm back visiting.

FWIW, my bike would hit about 174 bone stock before correcting the speedo. After correcting the speedo, I've only hit 160+ on a downhill. On flat ground 158-159 seems to be about all it's got fully tucked with my 150 lb frame on it (suited with all my gear I'm maybe 175 lbs). My bike dynoed 103 rwhp on a dynojet as it sat for those runs and still currently sits, which is stock.

Just more info for everyone.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a vid of my little grocery getter. This is with a corrected speedometer (speedo healer calibrated at 70mph to a GPS dead on)...... Notice at the very end of the video, the max recall on the speedo STILL reads higher then the GPS by 8-9 mph...

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Contrary to popular belief, bikes are quicker then they are fast, especially small CC bikes..
That is a really good way of putting it .

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
It's great knowing I have a copy of my bike sitting at your house if anything ever comes up when I'm back visiting.

FWIW, my bike would hit about 174 bone stock before correcting the speedo. After correcting the speedo, I've only hit 160+ on a downhill. On flat ground 158-159 seems to be about all it's got fully tucked with my 150 lb frame on it (suited with all my gear I'm maybe 175 lbs). My bike dynoed 103 rwhp on a dynojet as it sat for those runs and still currently sits, which is stock.

Just more info for everyone.
Yep, on my old ZX6 with 106rwhp I did 161 GPS verified on what I can only assume was an even road. I weigh ~15lbs more. Not sure how the 15lbs/3hp difference comes into play but it sounds right on paper.
Name:  XjvvGNz.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  129.8 KB

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Here is a vid of my little grocery getter. This is with a corrected speedometer (speedo healer calibrated at 70mph to a GPS dead on)...... Notice at the very end of the video, the max recall on the speedo STILL reads higher then the GPS by 8-9 mph...
Yep, even with a speedo healer your top speed will be inaccurate because they only compensate based on a flat percentage, but the speedo discrepancy is a curve. You can tune it to be dead-perfect at 60mph, but at 120 it will still show high. Tune it to be perfect at 120, and then it shows low at 60 .

320hp Busa has got to be retarded fast. I'm probably around 205 and it is mind boggling how fast my bike is. The acceleration is downright violent...I can only imagine adding a whole modded 600's worth of power on top of that . BTW, that '71 is sick. I've got some serious BBC envy, and if my lil ol' LT1 doesn't make ~625 on motor it's going bye-bye for a BBC swap...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
if he trapped 115.6 stock... why cant he trap close to 120 with 35-40whp more?
I dont know Evan. I've asked myself this question many times. To be honest, the LS2 C6's hate the track due to the torque management system you cannot deactivate. Many people have complained about it. These cars are faster in the real world than any track numbers could ever indicate. That video I posted of the butt whopping I gave an SRT8 should say something.

Anyway, I will have runs next week against Steve C.'s stock 13' GT500. What do they trap? 126+ or so on average. If I stay in the same zip code that should say something about my C6.

A 600 is done at 150mph. From 100-130 i'd expect to see the bike pull a few lengths, after that the car will be stopping the pull and starting to come back.

A stock or mildly modded 600 on flat ground won't go much faster than 155 with a good, light rider....compared to a car that will do 180+ eventually.
This is why I'm confused why people are doubting my runs. My Vette pulls strong from 120-150 in 4th gear (esp after the long tubes and the tune) and is relatively strong past that in 5th gear 150 mph+. Nothing I posted is hard to believe. Silly this thread turned into 20 pages.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
all BS aside 'doc, I always liked those NSX's and your keeping it low miles I'm sure will pay off at Barrett Jackson: every NSX I know of is or was someones daily driver and got lots of miles on them. Probably twice as hard to find a NSX with less then 20k miles than a C5Z or 911Turbo.
Thanks. I hope it brings in a pretty penny. I have more cars I want to pick up. Hopefully an Underground Racing Lambo in the near future, among others

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Oh and thats a nice NSX aswell
Thanks

Originally Posted by Cammed 02
NSX...Besides looks I never found out what was so amazing about those cars, or why they cost nearly 100 grand when new. Someone care to enlighten me?
The driver seating position, the precision of the steering/shifter, the connection between you and the road; words really cannot describe why these cars are so special. You have to drive one to understand. Amazing it was the early 90's that these cars hit the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cammed 02
NSX...Besides looks I never found out what was so amazing about those cars, or why they cost nearly 100 grand when new. Someone care to enlighten me?
The NSX chassis was tuned by Ayrton Senna, whos still considered by many as the best F1 driver of all time.

Other than that, the NSX by modern demands is a turd. Accelerates slow, brakes long and costs way too much.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitriy
The NSX chassis was tuned by Ayrton Senna, whos still considered by many as the best F1 driver of all time.

Other than that, the NSX by modern demands is a turd. Accelerates slow, brakes long and costs way too much.
When it debuted it was WAY ahead of its time.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by callmedoc
Anyway, I will have runs next week against Steve C.'s stock 13' GT500. What do they trap? 126+ or so on average. If I stay in the same zip code that should say something about my C6.
It will be a much better comparison with my car. Let me know when y'all plan to head out and I'll join ya.

Quick Reply: Another Guy on a Bike Gets his Feelings Hurt…