Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'96Z 396 LTx Stroker beats back Cammed/Header 5th Gen SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Why don't yall just wager what he is putting up for the room/gas? If you win, he pays, and if he wins, you repay him for the room. Then just bs about cars and have a beer or two. It doesn't always have to be an unfriendly thing.. even with a callout.
Now that seems fair… and objectively reasonable.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dekan513
i hate to say this but my car is a 5th gen and cam , exhaust , tune , rotofab. on a street tire im right there with u . not even launch it hard at all.
on the street on a roll i would roll u up i think but maybe not.

da on this pass was 2200 i think . cant remember but i know it was no better then 1800

Dekan513 Gen5 Camaro 11.9 - YouTube
I don't know why would hate to say it. That is a sweet ride. Truly a fine set. Looks like you were getting done on a fairly easy launch, and it was haulin' the mail on the big end.

Enjoyed the video.

Thanks for the well presented contribution.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Why would I waste my day if there is nothing in it for me? I'm driving to HIM which is like a 4 hours drive, the wear on my car, Have to take vacation since I'm stationed in SC but will be down in Fl........Gonna make it worth my time

Well, that would be because YOU were the one that was talkin' all the trash. So it falls to you to put up…

Where you stationed in South Cakalaki?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shaw AFB and I never called you out to race I just said your car is slow......YOU called ME out to come to you and race... so if its not worth my time and money there is no reason I'll just run better track times some where else there are suckers every where
Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you guys make something out of all the bickering I might swing by.

The 383 is on an engine stand still, but if the weather is nice I'll take the 14r out to play .

I'd ride within an hour or two of central FL...

Originally Posted by OVA1
Puck! Your recollection is correct… as is your well expressed opinion of the situation.

Thanks much for taking the time to contribute.

It would be great if we could get some discussion going on constructive issues, such as how setups change from season to season, proper stall size for given setups… the ever present 'best heads' issue, what techniques work best on wet, poorly prepped tracks, etc.

But it's a difficult task, on this forum for some reason.

Anywho kids… I'm headin' out on the water. Fill free to chime in and we'll pick it up later on tonight.

TTFN
Intelligent conversation is not allowed in SRK, and ANYTHING posted is subject to flaming . SRK is the dirty, dark corner of LS1Tech where a bolt-on Honda can pull a crotch rocket on the highway, but NOTHING can beat an LS1 .
Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thursday night at darlington 2 - YouTube

here is my pile......lets see yours going faster in the 1/4 mile

Pulley, Blowmaster, BBK and Tune in JULY at Darlington but according to you if I calculate this right when the weather gets cold, I adjust my Stock suspension, Set my car up for the cold I should be running 9's in the winter time!
Not sure how it happened, but I missed this post.

LOL! Look Scout, if you don't understand air density, despite driving a setup built around the principle that high pressure is mo' betta… then I can't see any reason to spend the time to explain it to you hear.

Suffice it to say that cooler air is more dense air, more dense the air, the more efficient the combustion… (Mo' POWUH!)

So, let's be clear what you're asking above.

Are you seriously doubting that my car could not beat 12.1 in the 1/4 mile? 'Cause, I did that Friday night. So, I mean if it's just the bench racin' you're looking for, using the data in evidence, you've already lost that one.

Or are you needing my car to trap higher than 118? Not sure what the relevance of that is… but if you can produce a valid argument showing relevance of the measured speed, I'll give ya the courtesy of hearing you out and giving it objective consideration.

My position is he who crosses the trap first wins the race and with ABSOLUTELY NO (NONE, NADA, ZIP) consideration for how fast one is going, be they first or second.

There was a guy in an old Firebird, think it was a 98, that used to run 7.50s trapping 88-90 mph almost every time.

That guy would beat your 12.1 by nearly half a second.

There was another guy that ran a bad *** Z28, on a 75 shot, trapped 7.2s 94-96 mph. He would have crushed your 12.1 like the proverbial Mustank BUG. Pulling no three cars on you… LOL! You'd have to delete the pulley ALL TOGETHER and just rap it around the shaft.

He never ran it on the 1/4, but most of those who offered an opinion felt that car would clock out at 11.3ish… trapping better than 120-122 or 3.

And I'm from Florida, You might cry about the Summer time but I'm sure when you get those Negative DA's in the winter time it won't be about the weather it will be about how badass your stroked LT1 is!!
Born and raised in Florida… Was racing here long before you were a twinkle in Momma's eye. And it is ALWAYS about how badass my 396 Stroker is.

Now quit cryin' and pick a date and let's get this thing setup.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Shaw AFB and I never called you out to race I just said your car is slow......YOU called ME out to come to you and race... so if its not worth my time and money there is no reason I'll just run better track times some where else there are suckers every where

Yeaaah… See, when you claimed my car was slow… that's 'calling me out'.

Now, it's pathetic enough when one does so from… Oh I dunno, say Louisiana.

'Cause they are just plain, punk-***, pansy, wanna-be smack talkin'. No one is going to drive 16 hours to back it up and it's not reasonable to that they'd do so.

BUT! Where one is just a few hours up the road… Well, by golly, by gosh, THAT is another thing entirely.

What is ironic here, is that you said my car was slow, with a sig-car that the info published says that it's slower than my car, as it sits, then ya posted a video of a car running slower than mine and claimed it was YOURS and that you'd be drivin' THAT!

Now let's be clear, I didn't call you out, what I said, in essence, was that you do not have a hair on your ***, if you don't bring that pile down here and stage up! Meaning you called yourself out when ya started talkin' smack.

All I did wast to sweeten the pot, as an incentive to help you do what any actual MAN couldn't be STOPPED from doing, by offering to put you up in a pretty nice hotel for a night and now you're cryin' for gas money.

Pretty soon, if the trend continues, I'll be trash talking my own car and buying you a car to race with.

Man the hell up, pick a date and let's get this thing goin'.

Puck… Brother, I would LOVE IT if you could make it. We'll make a night of it… I'll let Junior there buy the beer. We'll take it out of his losin's… (You are old enough to buy beer, aren't ya Scout?)

Last edited by OVA1; 08-04-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is that the base on 378 outside of Columbia? I pass that way when I head to Myrtle Beach. See the fighter jets on the airfield.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

LOL! Look Scout, if you don't understand air density, despite driving a setup built around the principle that high pressure is mo' betta… then I can't see any reason to spend the time to explain it to you hear.

Suffice it to say that cooler air is more dense air, more dense the air, the more efficient the combustion… (Mo' POWUH!)

Are you seriously doubting that my car could not beat 12.1 in the 1/4 mile? 'Cause, I did that Friday night. So, I mean if it's just the bench racin' you're looking for, using the data in evidence, you've already lost that one.

Or are you needing my car to trap higher than 118? Not sure what the relevance of that is… but if you can produce a valid argument showing relevance of the measured speed, I'll give ya the courtesy of hearing you out and giving it objective consideration.

My position is he who crosses the trap first wins the race and with ABSOLUTELY NO (NONE, NADA, ZIP) consideration for how fast one is going, be they first or second.

There was a guy in an old Firebird, think it was a 98, that used to run 7.50s trapping 88-90 mph almost every time.

There was another guy that ran a bad *** Z28, on a 75 shot, trapped 7.2s 94-96 mph. He would have crushed your 12.1 like the proverbial Mustank BUG. Pulling no three cars on you… LOL! You'd have to delete the pulley ALL TOGETHER and just rap it around the shaft.

He never ran it on the 1/4, but most of those who offered an opinion felt that car would clock out at 11.3ish… trapping better than 120-122 or 3.

Born and raised in Florida… Was racing here long before you were a twinkle in Momma's eye. And it is ALWAYS about how badass my 396 Stroker is.

I DO have a question though... just curious.. at your local track, are mid-low 7's considered the fast cars? WHat do the fast 100% street cars run down there? Up here we have a Turbo Foxbody street car that I have heard has hit high 5's.

Edit: I am talking 1/8th mile
Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I DO have a question though... just curious.. at your local track, are mid-low 7's considered the fast cars? WHat do the fast 100% street cars run down there? Up here we have a Turbo Foxbody street car that I have heard has hit high 5's.

In naples florida there are like no fast cars. Thats why this guys head is so inflated.

I know several guys who used to live there and tell me about the scene. My buddy said the fastest car at the time he was there was some shitty srt4. This was back in 08ish. Theres like one track and its a 1/8 and its a POS. All there is in naples is old retired people.

Besides miami i think tampa and orlando has the bigger street racing scene of FL. But besides them Miami has the fastest cars in all FL. IMO.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
In naples florida there are like no fast cars. Thats why this guys head is so inflated.

I know several guys who used to live there and tell me about the scene. My buddy said the fastest car at the time he was there was some shitty srt4. This was back in 08ish. Theres like one track and its a 1/8 and its a POS. All there is in naples is old retired people.

Besides miami i think tampa and orlando has the bigger street racing scene of FL. But besides them Miami has the fastest cars in all FL. IMO.
That's what I was figuring. The closest 1/8th mile to me does not prep extremely well. The is one a little further that if you tried walking on it you would leave your shoes and socks on the track... they VHT the whole track.. very good traction there...break stuff traction. This one is where all the local quick x275 cars run.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

That's what I was figuring. The closest 1/8th mile to me does not prep extremely well. The is one a little further that if you tried walking on it you would leave your shoes and socks on the track... they VHT the whole track.. very good traction there...break stuff traction. This one is where all the local quick x275 cars run.

Thats awesome, thats how my local 1/8th is sometimes. But even if the prep was great there would be a lack of fast cars there to use it. Thats why its a **** track lol. Most of the "fast" honda guys from there would come to miami race friends of mine and they would get stomped out because to them locally there cars were actually "fast" but here they were turds. Personally he would get stomped out if he ever went to a decent track in tampa or down here in sfl.

Put it this way, my buddy with an AWD 1g dsm has been dying to catch someone from north florida offguard but everytime theres something locked in with no money, its a no show in north floridas behalf. I think its happened to him like 3 times.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
Thats awesome, thats how my local 1/8th is sometimes. But even if the prep was great there would be a lack of fast cars there to use it. Thats why its a **** track lol. Most of the "fast" honda guys from there would come to miami race friends of mine and they would get stomped out because to them locally there cars were actually "fast" but here they were turds. Personally he would get stomped out if he ever went to a decent track in tampa or down here in sfl.

Put it this way, my buddy with an AWD 1g dsm has been dying to catch someone from north florida offguard but everytime theres something locked in with no money, its a no show in north floridas behalf. I think its happened to him like 3 times.
Another big problem at the local track is some big tire cars put some good rubber down, and then an idiot that cant drive, on street tires, comes and does a full track burnout taking up whatever good rubber was down.

And I know all about the 1g DSM's.. I had a 90' Eclipse GSX built by Dave Buschur. It moved out..on the track.. AND the stoplight. Definitely a fun car... just too many things break on it. I switched to 4 bolt axles in the rear(at the time this was strongest available), and had to keep a couple spares in the car when i went to the track.. when I would snap one, pull to pits, 10 mins later with swapped halfshaft in, back on the track. $100 a pop for those halfshafts at the local salvage yards.

Actually my DSM would have been considered fast at that track I assume since it ran low 7's @96mph on street tires all day long.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Well, 5 second street cars are pretty rare. Bracket cars… dime a dozen.

There are a fee tho'… they usually come over from the east coast, to test and tune out of site of their local competitors.

Had a twin turbo Vette come over which was freakin NASTY… Guy pulled up in a Prevost Motor Home, had a Car Trailer that was every BIT as big and about a dozen guys poured out of their to support that dude.

He ran 5.10s… Pulled a 4.98 on one pass. I used to have the video. But it died with the laptop it was on.

This in contrast to me… who showed up in a old Z28, with slicks in the back seat and a jack and tool box and cooler in the trunk… with MAYBE one other person… usually not tho'. Running 7.20s.

I'd say that <1% of the pack runs under 6 seconds. 2-3% run under 7 Seconds. 5, maybe 6% running under 8 seconds and the rest of the pack hanging in the 8s and up.

Of the 50 or so cars that came out Friday, by far, that night, the biggest block of good close runs were in the mid to low 8s. A cam/header 5.0 and a SLEW of ricers of every conceivable stripe.

Four years ago, we had 100 - 120 cars… so apparently, there's been a major drop off of just about everything.

Another thing is, that around 7.5 they want a cage… fire gear and all that crap.

I am not interested in installing a cage…
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

The ignorant babbling continues......read up on Cobras and how much they hate warm weather, Look when that video was posted it was just a few weeks ago in the middle of summer in SC at 90 degrees with 80% humidity less than ideal weather......Not only is your car the ONLY car that will go faster in colder weather my car will gain MORE than a N/A Car in colder weather due to the heat the "Heaton" produces that cobra IS mine so not sure where the more ignorant babbling is coming from .....You ran a 1/8th mile run and say it would have beat my 1/4 mile run? Who's bench racing here? you posted 1/8th mile runs and said over and over again its set up for 1/8th mile please tell me more about how those 5.13 gears work out in the 1/4 mile

Last edited by Lawhead; 08-04-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Is that the base on 378 outside of Columbia? I pass that way when I head to Myrtle Beach. See the fighter jets on the airfield.
There are 2 bases on 378 the guard base which is more towards Columbia then there is Shaw that is more east you probably over looked the Guard base or you turn before Shaw but there is 2 lol
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Yeaaah… See, when you claimed my car was slow… that's 'calling me out'.

Now, it's pathetic enough when one does so from… Oh I dunno, say Louisiana.

'Cause they are just plain, punk-***, pansy, wanna-be smack talkin'. No one is going to drive 16 hours to back it up and it's not reasonable to that they'd do so.

BUT! Where one is just a few hours up the road… Well, by golly, by gosh, THAT is another thing entirely.

What is ironic here, is that you said my car was slow, with a sig-car that the info published says that it's slower than my car, as it sits, then ya posted a video of a car running slower than mine and claimed it was YOURS and that you'd be drivin' THAT!

Now let's be clear, I didn't call you out, what I said, in essence, was that you do not have a hair on your ***, if you don't bring that pile down here and stage up! Meaning you called yourself out when ya started talkin' smack.

All I did wast to sweeten the pot, as an incentive to help you do what any actual MAN couldn't be STOPPED from doing, by offering to put you up in a pretty nice hotel for a night and now you're cryin' for gas money.

Pretty soon, if the trend continues, I'll be trash talking my own car and buying you a car to race with.

Man the hell up, pick a date and let's get this thing goin'.

Puck… Brother, I would LOVE IT if you could make it. We'll make a night of it… I'll let Junior there buy the beer. We'll take it out of his losin's… (You are old enough to buy beer, aren't ya Scout?)
That Cobra is mine how stupid are you......
Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jesus **** the butthurt by those long posts is overwhelming.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Well, 5 second street cars are pretty rare. Bracket cars… dime a dozen.

There are a fee tho'… they usually come over from the east coast, to test and tune out of site of their local competitors.

Had a twin turbo Vette come over which was freakin NASTY… Guy pulled up in a Prevost Motor Home, had a Car Trailer that was every BIT as big and about a dozen guys poured out of their to support that dude.

He ran 5.10s… Pulled a 4.98 on one pass. I used to have the video. But it died with the laptop it was on.

This in contrast to me… who showed up in a old Z28, with slicks in the back seat and a jack and tool box and cooler in the trunk… with MAYBE one other person… usually not tho'. Running 7.20s.

I'd say that <1% of the pack runs under 6 seconds. 2-3% run under 7 Seconds. 5, maybe 6% running under 8 seconds and the rest of the pack hanging in the 8s and up.

Of the 50 or so cars that came out Friday, by far, that night, the biggest block of good close runs were in the mid to low 8s. A cam/header 5.0 and a SLEW of ricers of every conceivable stripe.

Four years ago, we had 100 - 120 cars… so apparently, there's been a major drop off of just about everything.

Another thing is, that around 7.5 they want a cage… fire gear and all that crap.

I am not interested in installing a cage…
That's how I am.. when I get some time to hit the track, I will have my slicks in the back seat. Would like I trailer for track days, but need to get a truck that can pull the car on a trailer first. not really on my priority list.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

There are 2 bases on 378 the guard base which is more towards Columbia then there is Shaw that is more east you probably over looked the Guard base or you turn before Shaw but there is 2 lol
'

All I know is there is a barbed wire fence that seems to go on for miles and miles.

Quick Reply: '96Z 396 LTx Stroker beats back Cammed/Header 5th Gen SS