Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2007 GT500 640 hp vs 2013 ZL1 670hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snake95
That's what has happened since they don't like the results of the straight line comparisons.

The argument changes to show the git'r'dun Camaro coming out on top.

You better believe if the ZL1 was faster in a straight line, it'd be splashed in someone's face any time a GT500 was mentioned.

...and LMAO at HiO saying a 5th gen has better visibility, not even being a dick with the short thing but it must be height related...I sat in a 5th gen and felt like I was in a box with slits for rear windows.
Visibility out the rear quarter on the Camaro is a JOKE. My friend with the 1LE even admits that. Bad design GM... bad design.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Coupe Dave
Evan Smith didn't just drive Fords. He worked under McMullen-Argus (formerly CSK Publishing) who also owned a few GM-based magazines you may have heard of, such as GM High-Tech (or High-Tech as it was originally known), Super Chevy and High-Performance Pontiac. He was the guy that took a bone-stock '96 LT1 Camaro SS to low 13's, and a stock LS1 F-body into the 12's twice, both times posting the results in an article of MM&FF ironically. The guy can flat-out drive! I spent a day with Evan, Jim Campisano and a few other guys from MM&FF at Carlsbad back in the day. Super cool guy and definitely not biased. Lol
Don't be quoting mag times......only internet times like Icantrun11's.
Originally Posted by big hammer
I remember when evan was running 12's with the ls1, and the best he could muster with a 2v bullit was a 13.9. he was basically like "wtf ford, little help here!"
Come on......2v's are the epitome of performance.
Originally Posted by "MAC"
Whats real funny is that motor trend and alike car magazines have gotten the Ford GT to run fully stock 11.3 1/4 just imagine what some of the people in this site alone could run.....
What I thought was funny is that tests before the c6 Z06 came out did not get that thing out of the 12's. Then after it magically picked up greatly.
Originally Posted by Gt4urass
...but according to Hio, "The only way a ford gt would outrun a ZL is in looks.....probably won of the best looking cars ever. Acceleration is comparable and the ZL flat smokes it in the handling department." I don't even know where to begin here...
The ZL does flat smoke it in every performance other than acceleration......which is near =.
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Ford GT is an awesome car. I would take one over a 2013 GT500 in a heartbeat. I have some experience driving mid engined cars hard but nothing like that monster...
It would be my #1 car to have of all time.
Originally Posted by Poppacapp
And the only thing keeping my 500 out of the 10's is the 20" tires. Does that mean it is a slow car? Like your above statement.. you think a ZL-1 will win?

And your 555's do great on a 28 degree day because you dont have torque we have to deal with. In temps below 60 degrees my car now shreds the 555r's in 2nd gear at any speed. Below 40 and it shreds them in 3rd gear above 60. Near 700ft-lb torque as soon as you floor it tends to do that... but its a slow car.
I gots no powa!!
Originally Posted by Poppacapp
His car isn't gutted and swiss cheesed mang. You have about a 900lb advantage on us. Physics says it takes more power for us to move more weight.
So your excuse is weight now too......hmmm......funny when people mention the weight of a ZL you guys jump all over that as a big pig. You have a big pig?

Also the weight difference would not be 900lb. Probably 700.........btw I'll take 200 hp over 700lb any day.
Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Idk about you guys but going fast in a straight line is much funner
Not really....to 1 dimensional. But it's the cheapest form of racing you can do with a car. Also the easiest on the car. For those that think they can drive it's also very quick to show they can't.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Why does the discussion always turn to road courses in the street racing section? How many of you all have actually driven a car on a road course?
LOL......because you have to turn on the street. There are wonderful on/off ramps out there to enjoy. Try this next on your way to work......drive a 1/4 mile then turn around and go the opposite direction for a 1/4 mile. Let use know how long it takes you to go to work. Then you'll understand just how important turning is.
That's what has happened since they don't like the results of the straight line comparisons.

The argument changes to show the git'r'dun Camaro coming out on top.

You better believe if the ZL1 was faster in a straight line, it'd be splashed in someone's face any time a GT500 was mentioned.

...and LMAO at HiO saying a 5th gen has better visibility, not even being a dick with the short thing but it must be height related...I sat in a 5th gen and felt like I was in a box with slits for rear windows.
I've been in both.....just my observation. Maybe you should take your blinders off and actually look through the glass.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you pushing your car 10/10ths on the street? My point is I don't think hardly anyone in this section is taking their cars out on road courses so why are we having this discussion? If the road course is your thing why would you be looking at either car? I'd rather have the boss or the corvette.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Even if your only pushing it 8/10's or 9/10's it's still a better handler at that 8 or 9/10's. The ZL is a better handler than a Boss......than base vette's to. It's the total driving experience and in a chassis ripe for added power.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
LOL......because you have to turn on the street. There are wonderful on/off ramps out there to enjoy. Try this next on your way to work......drive a 1/4 mile then turn around and go the opposite direction for a 1/4 mile. Let use know how long it takes you to go to work. Then you'll understand just how important turning is.

I've been in both.....just my observation. Maybe you should take your blinders off and actually look through the glass.
Take my blinders off? That would require me to borrow your Sawzall and hack the rear window openings in the Camaro much bigger in order to increase visibility. I guess it's not a problem if you don't mind opening your driver's side door to see behind you every time you back into a parking spot.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Even if your only pushing it 8/10's or 9/10's it's still a better handler at that 8 or 9/10's. The ZL is a better handler than a Boss......than base vette's to. It's the total driving experience and in a chassis ripe for added power.
If you're so concerned about handling why are you driving a 4th gen?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be quoting mag times......only internet times like Icantrun11's.

Come on......2v's are the epitome of performance.

What I thought was funny is that tests before the c6 Z06 came out did not get that thing out of the 12's. Then after it magically picked up greatly.

The ZL does flat smoke it in every performance other than acceleration......which is near =.

It would be my #1 car to have of all time.

I gots no powa!!

So your excuse is weight now too......hmmm......funny when people mention the weight of a ZL you guys jump all over that as a big pig. You have a big pig?

Also the weight difference would not be 900lb. Probably 700.........btw I'll take 200 hp over 700lb any day.

Not really....to 1 dimensional. But it's the cheapest form of racing you can do with a car. Also the easiest on the car. For those that think they can drive it's also very quick to show they can't.
Honestly it was only a matter of time. 505bhp in a car that weighs what 3300lbs better tires and more experienced drivers will give you the times we are used to seeing right now. Even the C5 Z06's are light weight and 405bhp and even then low 12's and high 11's from the factory is good IMO Hell if a stock LS1 Fbody did high 12's low 13's it shouldn't be no surprise that a more powerful lighter weight car can run a lot faster and put up better times from the start.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Take my blinders off? That would require me to borrow your Sawzall and hack the rear window openings in the Camaro much bigger in order to increase visibility. I guess it's not a problem if you don't mind opening your driver's side door to see behind you every time you back into a parking spot.
maybe you just can't drive.
If you're so concerned about handling why are you driving a 4th gen?
Is there a better all round performance car for the $$. I don't think there ever has been for the $$. They handle great.....or atleast mine did but it came with SLP handling package. A strano/koni set-up is a no brainer for handling improvement also. The good stiff chassis is a great start for improvements. Brakes are big enough to be easily upgraded for cheap. A set of stainless braided lines and PFC pads and they stop like a champ. Do they compare to the 12+ 5th gen's ....not w/o mods. A 1le.......probably not.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned

A buddy of mine got the V6 5th Gen Camaro as a rental because his car was in the shop. He let me drive it and i could barely see out the back window, Hell when they first came out another buddy of mine bought one and he kept it for a few months then sold it. His reasons was 1. it was slow, and 2. he couldn't see out the rear window. All of the people that I know that have driven that car have complained about not being able to see out the back and if im not mistaken thats the number one complaint on them, even car magazines have complained about it. I think the car looks very good and they sell good as well. They had 14k of them sold before they even cam out to me thats what helped saved GM. Only if the new Trans Am came out to help save Pontiac as well
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe someone is actually debating this, but please illustrate to me how the ZL1 is anything remotely comparable in performance to a Ford GT. I am not being a fanboy in the least...but you are completely ******* nuts if you truly believe this...
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Is there a better all round performance car for the $$. I don't think there ever has been for the $$. They handle great.....or atleast mine did but it came with SLP handling package. A strano/koni set-up is a no brainer for handling improvement also. The good stiff chassis is a great start for improvements. Brakes are big enough to be easily upgraded for cheap. A set of stainless braided lines and PFC pads and they stop like a champ. Do they compare to the 12+ 5th gen's ....not w/o mods. A 1le.......probably not.
No they do not handle great. Have you ever driven anything that turns worth a ****?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

What does my being a foot taller than you and not being able to see out the rear window of a 5th gen worth a **** have **** to do with driving? You mean the backing up part? Have fun clipping kids riding their bikes behind you because the visibility is pure ****!

I mean WTF are you even arguing?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
A buddy of mine got the V6 5th Gen Camaro as a rental because his car was in the shop. He let me drive it and i could barely see out the back window, Hell when they first came out another buddy of mine bought one and he kept it for a few months then sold it. His reasons was 1. it was slow, and 2. he couldn't see out the rear window. All of the people that I know that have driven that car have complained about not being able to see out the back and if im not mistaken thats the number one complaint on them, even car magazines have complained about it. I think the car looks very good and they sell good as well. They had 14k of them sold before they even cam out to me thats what helped saved GM. Only if the new Trans Am came out to help save Pontiac as well
Are they the easiest cars in the world to see out of.....no.....is the mustang???? no and you can't see out of the back window at all when the rear seat headrests are flipped up. You want to see around your car very very nicely???? Buy a damn Spark.......or how bout smart car.
Originally Posted by Gt4urass
I can't believe someone is actually debating this, but please illustrate to me how the ZL1 is anything remotely comparable in performance to a Ford GT. I am not being a fanboy in the least...but you are completely ******* nuts if you truly believe this...
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virgin...l_raceway.html

Your right....it's nuts the Ford GT is 8sec of the pace around VIR........that the 1LE is quicker than it also......completely nuts.
No they do not handle great. Have you ever driven anything that turns worth a ****?
More so than you can imagine. Google PTG BMW's. We would have team appreciation track days from time to time where we got to drive the race cars.

Coming from someone who thinks that fox body's are great I can understand your comment. BTW.....the mirrors suck on a fox body. Can't see **** out of them.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

What does my being a foot taller than you and not being able to see out the rear window of a 5th gen worth a **** have **** to do with driving? You mean the backing up part? Have fun clipping kids riding their bikes behind you because the visibility is pure ****!

I mean WTF are you even arguing?

IDK.....maybe you just can't drive in reverse.

Look at that pic closely...look at the outlined black around the window. If I'm not mistaking the actual see threw glass part on the 5th gen is larger. Not to mention it's easier to see through the front from the back on the 5th gen. Thanks for proving my point.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they the easiest cars in the world to see out of.....no.....is the mustang???? no and you can't see out of the back window at all when the rear seat headrests are flipped up. You want to see around your car very very nicely???? Buy a damn Spark.......or how bout smart car.

Your right....it's nuts the Ford GT is 8sec of the pace around VIR........that the 1LE is quicker than it also......completely nuts.

More so than you can imagine. Google PTG BMW's. We would have team appreciation track days from time to time where we got to drive the race cars.

Coming from someone who thinks that fox body's are great I can understand your comment. BTW.....the mirrors suck on a fox body. Can't see **** out of them.
We'll then...I suppose I stand corrected. My apologies.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

I can see better out the back of my 4th gen no problem, but the 5th gen is horrible to see out of. Although climbing in and out of both cars i noticed its easier for me to get out of the 5th gen than it is the 4th gen.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

IDK.....maybe you just can't drive in reverse. Look at that pic closely...look at the outlined black around the window. If I'm not mistaking the actual see threw glass part on the 5th gen is larger. Not to mention it's easier to see through the front from the back on the 5th gen. Thanks for proving my point.
You are seriously approaching Whip and Titan with your ignorance and blinders. Do you even read what you type before submitting the post?
Banned

IDK.....maybe you just can't drive in reverse.

Look at that pic closely...look at the outlined black around the window. If I'm not mistaking the actual see threw glass part on the 5th gen is larger. Not to mention it's easier to see through the front from the back on the 5th gen. Thanks for proving my point.

Are you crazy look at the back pillars those are huge blind spots the mustang clearly has less blind spots out the back window!
Launching!

Fox bodies are amazing drag chassis. The proof is there, that fact that you try to argue differently just makes you look ignorant. Not sure how you can drive those cars and then say the fourth gens handle great. I've tracked a modded 4th gen and it was so much worse than the stock c5z and c6zs I've tracked it's not even funny.

Quick Reply: 2007 GT500 640 hp vs 2013 ZL1 670hp