Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2007 GT500 640 hp vs 2013 ZL1 670hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hio was suppose to have the car weeks ago. Might have to get this one first. With frame connectors,convertable chassis stiffening kit,x braces blah blah this cracks on 28 by 10 slicks...

Time for a built AOD-car is too violent.

Mr Law they won't excuse me. You will have to wait for Nov 16 for me to get back to Florida.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
Take it to the Ring!
Sum bitch I got skinnies ! My street trim !
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bondo is cracking
Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
We already know all the details on the VIR debacle. Scared driver in the 500. The ZL1 is easier to drive near its limits. The 500 you have to DRIVE it. Why don't you mention the "other" tracks?
Bud more than likely you can't DRIVE your in anything other than a straight line. Fact is the easier car to drive is the more composed car to drive which is usually the faster car. VIR is one the better roadcourses in the country.......why would you compare to anywhere else?
Originally Posted by Lawhead
Oh we've been trying to set up a date to run down here thought he mentioned he was gonna drop it off or something must have misunderstood

I didn't drive my blue car in the rain just like I won't drive this in the rain. Regardless let's not argue about everyone knows already
I drive mine in the rain.......I've drove it in the snow too. It's a street car.....the dd type. Any and everything I do to it revolves around that. I don't have a "beater" and when the car gets to the point I need a "beater"......I'll sell that pos and be happy it's gone.
Originally Posted by Heater
Bondo is cracking
Is that where they put the qtr's on from the factory? If I'm not mistaken Mike bought that car new and it has never had any paint work done.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
VIR is one the better roadcourses in the country.......why would you compare to anywhere else?
So Laguna Seca is poo? The Streets of Willow? Nobody is disputing that the Camaro is the more composed, better handling car...but you can't just stick your head in the sand and pretend that the GT500 handles "badly."

Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

why not? when the 2011 gt edged out the 2011 Camaro, all of a sudden the Camaro handled "badly".
Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by big hammer
why not? when the 2011 gt edged out the 2011 Camaro, all of a sudden the Camaro handled "badly".
When did anybody say that?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
When did anybody say that?
it polluted the internet in 2011!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:02 PM
***Repost Police***

I mean, I was definitely here back then... I don't recall anybody saying that the Camaro handled badly.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

I mean, I was definitely here back then... I don't recall anybody saying that the Camaro handled badly.
you shoulda been on camaro5. ****.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

So Laguna Seca is poo? The Streets of Willow? Nobody is disputing that the Camaro is the more composed, better handling car...but you can't just stick your head in the sand and pretend that the GT500 handles "badly."

Did I say Laguna was poo? Did I say the gt500 handled badly??? Nope. When YOU poke your head out of the sand you will realize just how much quicker the ZL is through the corners to over come the acceleration deficit. If ever thing goes well we'll all betalking about how well the next of these cars are.

BTW.....when you add up all the times from the roadcourses mentioned the ZL is 2sec faster.
Originally Posted by big hammer
lol....like when they compared a 2012 boss to a 2010 camaro.....what a ******* joke that test was. I guess they were scared a updated 2012 camaro would out lap the boss.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
***Repost Police***

Did I say Laguna was poo? Did I say the gt500 handled badly??? Nope. When YOU poke your head out of the sand you will realize just how much quicker the ZL is through the corners to over come the acceleration deficit. If ever thing goes well we'll all betalking about how well the next of these cars are.

BTW.....when you add up all the times from the roadcourses mentioned the ZL is 2sec faster.
Excuse me, I just assumed when you said "why would you compare to anywhere else," that you only wanted to use that time. And I've said plenty of times that the ZL1 is obviously the faster car through the corners. Very ironic for you to say somebody else has their head in the sand... almost as ironic as when you downplay somebody's track times when they run dedicated rims/tires, when you in fact also have a set of rims/tires that you use specifically at the track.
Bud more than likely you can't DRIVE your in anything other than a straight line. Fact is the easier car to drive is the more composed car to drive which is usually the faster car. VIR is one the better roadcourses in the country.......why would you compare to anywhere else?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

VIR is one of the better road courses. The long up hill at LS is a big hindrance to a car down 80+hp and skews the results a bit.....but you knew this.

I don't really think you can compare my radial drag wheel/tire combo to a bias one as far as driving is concerned. If you don't believe me put bias tires on your car.....don't be a puss.....do it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM
***Repost Police***

VIR is one of the better road courses. The long up hill at LS is a big hindrance to a car down 80+hp and skews the results a bit.....but you knew this.

I don't really think you can compare my radial drag wheel/tire combo to a bias one as far as driving is concerned. If you don't believe me put bias tires on your car.....don't be a puss.....do it.
There are plenty of people that run DRs 24/7/365, and you talk the same trash to them. And there is no such thing as "skews the results." Shorter tighter tracks favor the ZL1, smooth tracks with long straights favor the GT500. And you can't discount the tracks with long straights or uphill sections just because it plays to the GT500's strengths.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bud more than likely you can't DRIVE your in anything other than a straight line. Fact is the easier car to drive is the more composed car to drive which is usually the faster car. VIR is one the better roadcourses in the country.......why would you compare to anywhere else? I drive mine in the rain.......I've drove it in the snow too. It's a street car.....the dd type. Any and everything I do to it revolves around that. I don't have a "beater" and when the car gets to the point I need a "beater"......I'll sell that pos and be happy it's gone. Is that where they put the qtr's on from the factory? If I'm not mistaken Mike bought that car new and it has never had any paint work done.
Face plated t56 DD

LOL you did that because of its street manners correct ?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
*This particular Camaro isn't a contender against this particular Mustang.

Also, I'm just going to be "that guy" for a minute seeing as there is a valid argument here but none of the Chevy guys seem to be making it completely.

Both the GT500 and the ZL1 base price at almost exactly $55,000. But, to option out a GT500 like a ZL1 (diff cooler, tranny cooler, engine oil cooler, upgraded suspension bits) you've got to add on the SVT performance package and the SVT track pack, (all of those things come standard on the "turd" ZL1 standard btw) which collectively bump the GT500 up to over $62k. At this point, the GT500 still has inferior suspension to the ZL1, costs $7k more, and still has some half-assed 285 road-race tires in the back (lol) that will need some attention.

Also, I'm noticing several other things that are kind of shocking, for example, navigation price differences ($800 for the Camaro and $2,300 for the GT500).

What it boils down to is, the GT500 obviously has the ZL1 on power and acceleration, but once you start looking at standard options on the ZL1 vs cost of options on the GT500 it seems as though

A). perhaps GM didn't build the ZL1 as a *****-out drag car? (IRS and 20's FTL, not to mention the front tires on the ZL1 are as wide as the rear tires on the Shelby). The ZL1 is basically a performance-oriented touring car, and the GT500 is, well, not.

B). It's embarrassing for the Mustang to compare when comparably equipped all the way around because the GT500 will be $7-10k more than the ZL1. The MSRP price difference between a standard ZL1 and a GT500 with the SVT performance package and the SVT track pack is nearly the same price gap between that GT500 and a 1LZ 2013 Corvette Z06.

C). When comparing the GT500 and the ZL1's power-to-weight ratios, it's honestly kind of sad these cars are even being compared in any realm of performance.

D). Throw 3 or 4 check marks on the options list for the GT500, and you'll be competing with the Z/28.

All that being said...I could care less lol. Just playing devil's advocate here. These are muscle cars that are priced like sports cars at this point. Lets not forget that underneath the superchargers and recaro seats, it's built off a $22,000 car. Kind of ridiculous in my opinion, no matter who the manufacturer is.
Just wanted to point this out for you. Ford never publicly advertised their Nurburgring times... but the ZL1 did a 7:41 right?

Here ya go

Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

The ZL is leaps and bounds better on a road course. To the tune of 3+seconds at VIR. That's HUGE.....especially when it's down on power. If they had the same level of acceleration you would probably be looking at 5+seconds. You can watch the in car vids and see the huge difference in the way each car reacts.
Look at above link.. looks like leaps and bounds to me too.....

Interesting info in this link about the video... and GM possible fudging their numbers:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rburgring.html

Last edited by Poppacapp; 10-29-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

How do you know how well I can drive my car? Speculate much?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Last edited by Poppacapp; 10-29-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Just wanted to point this out for you. Ford never publicly advertised their Nurburgring times... but the ZL1 did a 7:41 right?

Here ya go
Lol, so NOW these things matter? lol. I don't care about Nurburgring times, especially when you're comparing different drivers on different days and the difference is 2 seconds on a 7:3x lap time.

Also, I believe GM's 7:41 time was in a car with something like 300 lbs of recording/safety equipment with a non-professional driver behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: 2007 GT500 640 hp vs 2013 ZL1 670hp