Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Camaro Z28 vs H/C 306ci Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
F- a 351.

If it's just a 6 point then it's not that heavy. Plus is in the back right where you would want it.
The 351 block is quite a bit better than a 302.

I can't remember exactly, but it did have bars across the doors going to the floorboard up by the firewall. Subframes and some other etc. frame strengthening.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
it doesn't change the cam specs, it changes the valve lift.
Hence why the first thing brought up when it comes to bolt ons anything that touches oil..... But yes it doesn't change the Cam spec's it self, but how much the cam now open's the valve
Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
So whats considered a bolt on? As i was under the assumption its only what you bolt onto the engine. Example headers, intake, and heads
I have considered rockers abolt on since my old scb days. They were with the fox crowd to. ..... As Mike said.
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
What is wrong with the 351 based motor? You can run cubes and tons of killer heads for it.
You know me. .....I like oe parts. A 351 is not that great then. Besides they fit in a fox like ****.
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Not with stock wheels,all sway bars on and full weight with spare tire and jack in the car. Auto maybe. They could match the MPH and beat it. ET wise I don't. You are comparing times I ran in the late 90s to guys now. Bolt on LT1s were running mid 12s back then. Back then I was killing LS1s easy. Once the cammed ones came out I had to go with a blower.

I can get a 302 heads cam car to smash a bolt on lt1 easy now days. The know how and parts are much better
You was not killing many ls1's with a 107 - 110 trap very often unless they were not driven up to par. I could see you hole shoting one and holding on for the win. But you better hope they were stock.

Bolt on lt's may have been mi 12's back then. ....... but you seem to forget they probably still had the 10 bolt to deal with and the car was heavier. Equal that **** up and its lights out h/c furd.
Originally Posted by Lawhead
How come its "Fords fault" they didn't make a big cube mod motor

But you always bring up the Fox bodies weight........Sounds like "GM's fault" to me......
If you want to compare engines then you have to equal some **** up. Foxes are lighter, just the way it is. That light weight makes them suffer in some areas of performance and excel at a acceleration.

There are reasons why you can buy a k member to put Chevy's in a fox. Now can you imagine putting the furd motor in a heavier fcar.........lmao
Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, Mike, I'm with you on the 351 or Coyote. It gives HiO nightmares to think an LS1 gets eaten by the new 5.0

Mac, between referencing Powerblock on TV and saying heads are a bolt on, I think you're just trolling. Hell, you may be redfire and finally changed your posting style. Kudos to you. I know you can't legitimately be that dumb.

Hammer lmfao you knew what he meant but you're grasping at straws. Higher ratio rockers make the valve see more lift. The valve gives 0 ***** if the higher lift is a result of a bigger cam or different rockers. More lift is what happens. You did good, though, real good!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Hence why the first thing brought up when it comes to bolt ons anything that touches oil..... But yes it doesn't change the Cam spec's it self, but how much the cam now open's the valve

yeah it's splitting hairs, but the amount of lift gained is miniscule. like 5%.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

I have considered rockers abolt on since my old scb days. They were with the fox crowd to. ..... As Mike said.

You know me. .....I like oe parts. A 351 is not that great then. Besides they fit in a fox like ****.

You was not killing many ls1's with a 107 - 110 trap very often unless they were not driven up to par. I could see you hole shoting one and holding on for the win. But you better hope they were stock.

Bolt on lt's may have been mi 12's back then. ....... but you seem to forget they probably still had the 10 bolt to deal with and the car was heavier. Equal that **** up and its lights out h/c furd.

If you want to compare engines then you have to equal some **** up. Foxes are lighter, just the way it is. That light weight makes them suffer in some areas of performance and excel at a acceleration.

There are reasons why you can buy a k member to put Chevy's in a fox. Now can you imagine putting the furd motor in a heavier fcar.........lmao
Equal stuff up? like you comparing the 302 to the 350 LMAO you're so one way its unreal.....

Why an F-car when you can do this

Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
I think the problem is that with the GM stuff you can run alot of OEM parts thus saving money in most situations. Its hard to come across a fast NA ford here. I know you can get a 351w for ****, my buddy pulled one out of a van for $300. But the problem is aftermarket castings is the only choice am i right? Or is there anything budget friendly that will make power?
Can totally agree with that. One of my old friends (the "Karger," in Calibrated by Karger) has a hard running LQ in his notch and it goes like the wind.

1) That's a ricer argument. I thought you liked OE ****?
2) No you don't
3) That's only the 13512652431th time we've all seen you type that. And the 351W in my friend Tyler's '83 foxbody seemed to fit just fine.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
I think the problem is that with the GM stuff you can run alot of OEM parts thus saving money in most situations. Its hard to come across a fast NA ford here. I know you can get a 351w for ****, my buddy pulled one out of a van for $300. But the problem is aftermarket castings is the only choice am i right? Or is there anything budget friendly that will make power?
You can run Ford racing heads if you want factory stuff. But since cars sans the R didn't come with 351s a OEM head used in production comes down to a few including the old GT40 cast irons used in a lightening truck. Just too small. If on a budget just look on the Corral for used heads-canfields etc are on there all the time.

I went 107s with deflated drag radials. I went a best of 111MPH on street radials with proper psi. Look up my username on LS1.com back in the late 90s(Mike 92LX). LS1 guys were stating they could killed heads cam foxes with grotty headers,lids,tunes and screens removed from MAF. NOPE. I killed them all. They lost. Rolls etc. Now you might argue it was shallow victory for me and I don't mean to imply a 5.0 pushrod is in a LS1s ball park in terms of output but if you were smart you won. When aftermarket picked up and I started seeing cammed cars going 112-113MPH(back then that was moving) it was blower time. I was trapping 123MPH with a quiet FMS/Powerdyne that no one could hear. The ones on spray were close. Back then anything over a 150 shot was risky.

Only reason I never did a 351 based motor is that I could not disguise it and I wanted to keep the stock hood. Back then you couldn't. Now days you can. For a while you could get a 351 aluminum block from Ford racing. I should have went that route instead of an Rblock. I made a lot of mistakes but that is part of the hobby.
351s fit in Fox just fine hell Ford racing sold a kit so you needed nothing to do it.

Not my problem Fbodies had ten bolts. They had cubes and compression on me. Run what you brung. It deflated a lot of egos when after LS guys were waving their 305-315RWHP dyno slips-they got slapped. Only LS I lost to was a sprayed auto with converter back then. He got me out of the hole,blew a headgasket but could not make up the ground. Oh well can't win them all.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snake95
Yeah, Mike, I'm with you on the 351 or Coyote. It gives HiO nightmares to think an LS1 gets eaten by the new 5.0

Mac, between referencing Powerblock on TV and saying heads are a bolt on, I think you're just trolling. Hell, you may be redfire and finally changed your posting style. Kudos to you. I know you can't legitimately be that dumb.

Hammer lmfao you knew what he meant but you're grasping at straws. Higher ratio rockers make the valve see more lift. The valve gives 0 ***** if the higher lift is a result of a bigger cam or different rockers. More lift is what happens. You did good, though, real good!
So powerblock isnt a reputable source sense when considering all they due is show you how to build things the right way..... your just mad that ford cant beat chevy in the big block hp war. Also last i checked you have to bolt on heads onto the LSx engines and BBC and any push rod motor for that fact. So again how is is it not a bolt on? Me being redfire is a joke i know a couple people here personally that knows i aint redfire. Stop making yourself look stupid snake95 theres more to life than ls1tech.....
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Snake95 read that and get educated please.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...ritish/bolt-on
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Snake95 read that and get educated please. http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...ritish/bolt-on
YOU CAN'T BE FOR REAL!!!!

All the GM guys reading this are face palming....HARD.

Here, I'll do it myself.

Hey LS guys, are heads considered a "bolt on"?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Mac you honesty can't be serious right now ....
Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

So i guess when you go and BOLT ON new heads to your LS1 its still doesn't count as a BOLT ON right...... makes perfect sense..... i guess you just glue them on right or better yet you wield them on even with the gaskets in place to....
Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

Snake95 read that and get educated please. http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...ritish/bolt-on

Here, I'll do it myself.

Did you even read the definition of bolt on? If not why are you posting? Hell even according to the definition heads are bolt ons......
Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

MAC you're honestly looking real dumb, just quit
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
***Repost Police***

This is why I won't engage in a serious conversation with him. Holy ****.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Banned

MAC you're honestly looking real dumb, just quit
Um nope that would be snake please tell me how you put new heads on a ls1 with out bolting them on..... ill wait. Lets not forget the definition of a bolt on do i need to repost that for you to?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Here, I'll do it myself.

That's in the cam only category.

Either way, it aint a bolt on. Lol
Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned

I notice how only ford guys are tryn to talk **** right now thats hilarious
Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Um nope that would be snake please tell me how you put new heads on a ls1 with out bolting them on..... ill wait. Lets not forget the definition of a bolt on do i need to repost that for you to?

You found some random *** site off the Internet to use as a definition to aid your argument.... Then tell someone to get educated, When you change the heads on a car it becomes out of the realm of a "bolt on" car it becomes a Heads/Cam car because if you're not changing the cam there Is 0 reason to go aftermarket heads. You bolt on a blower is it no longer a blower but simply a "bolt on" ?

Quick Reply: Camaro Z28 vs H/C 306ci Mustang