Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
This thread has been been entertaining
Just for you, pookie!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
You could use the lid-the black wing. I just said you SHOULDN'T since we were using factory parts to prove that Ford could build a n/a motor with Ford parts. Hence me saying ported LPE heads was kind of silly since it wasn't really a GM design. Sure my examples I made up but they have been done many times by people and its easy to predict how much power they have,
So you're gonna make 380hp with no headers.....no intake......production cam.....and all production parts???? Someone call AFR and twisted wedge and who ever else makes parts. Mike is putting them out of bizness with his super combo. Hell there are decent fuel injected h/c stangs that don't make that. So tell me mike. What are you putting this engine in? Cause it came out of a truck. Something tells me you're gonna possibly need a hood for whatever Mustang you would put it in.

I sure am glad I don't have to go threw all this to get 380hp.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
So you're gonna make 380hp with no headers.....no intake......production cam.....and all production parts???? Someone call AFR and twisted wedge and who ever else makes parts. Mike is putting them out of bizness with his super combo. Hell there are decent fuel injected h/c stangs that don't make that. So tell me mike. What are you putting this engine in? Cause it came out of a truck. Something tells me you're gonna possibly need a hood for whatever Mustang you would put it in.

Plenty of people have made 320+rwhp out of gt40 headed combos...... Just thought i would let you know that. I mean since you're talking about using heads made by someone else and reboxed as "GM" lmao.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Untouched gt40's? Cause I mean if I can't use a gm part......gm valves.....gm heads.....gm valve springs......then you can't port them.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

The engine "out of the truck" is a 351W and will drop right into any Mustang since 1979 and if it started life as a OHV 5L Mustang, it won't even require new motor mounts!

AFR or TrickFlow heads are better, generally, but that doesn't mean the factory stuff cannot work well. I've seen 351W based builds make upward of 700whp N/A, using the upper end heads like AFR. That, plus the fact MotorSport heads are very expensive by comparison, is why most people don't use FoMoCo stuff as often.

Also, there are Ford headers available and old 5L Mustangs came with headers from the factory anyway.

Back in 1994, I had unported GT40 heads on a 308 that made just over 330rwhp. It simply wasn't that difficult to make the power you seem convinced cannot be made unless a GM engine is used.

The fact you can buy a SBF making 575hp is all you need to know anyway. It obviously can be done.

You really and truly don't know much about Fords at all... no surprise, but you're showing it well in this thread.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Heater
This thread has been been entertaining
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

going by $100 per horsepower, 50hp for $1400 is a damn good deal. People spend more than that on their exhaust and don't get those results.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Ford designed the z303 heads and cam and they are on par with aftermarket stuff. You are changing the subject slightly. I said factory parts or designed by the factory. You have said Ford can't compete using Na parts. They can. How many times have cracked on heaters car saying its all aftermarket because you can't use Ford parts. That is grossly wrong. And now days you can fit a fox and a 351 with the stock hood.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WarlordZ
going by $100 per horsepower, 50hp for $1400 is a damn good deal. People spend more than that on their exhaust and don't get those results.
Are you talking about ford engines or ls engines when you say 50hp for 1400?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Doesn't matter either way really. It's a good deal for both.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Best HP/$$ mods, underdrive pulleys come to mind. 6-7hp gain to the tire for less than $100. I'm sure CAIs fall into that category, too.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by "MAC"
I think, generally speaking, it's just a great deal, particularly with prices today. Otherwise, maybe he meant that about the $1,400 for cams.

Originally Posted by snake95
Best HP/$$ mods, underdrive pulleys come to mind. 6-7hp gain to the tire for less than $100. I'm sure CAIs fall into that category, too.
Some CAI's, anyway... Today it isn't as easy, but we used to be able to simply twist the distributor and get more power... Now THAT is bang for the buck!

There's also the noise suppression crap ahead of the air cleaner on who knows how many makes/models and by simply removing it, power is gained.

Tuning today accomplishes much, but it never was all that cheap.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot about that! I remember on my mostly stock 87 that twisting the dizzy and bumping timing to 14* definitely made a difference.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot about that! I remember on my mostly stock 87 that twisting the dizzy and bumping timing to 14* definitely made a difference.
I remembered it because I just looked at my new old car and thought... I wonder where the timing's set right about now???

I haven't even started it yet, but I'm glad to have it back. I just don't feel well enough to go play with it and it isn't helping that I have another car in the garage, so this one is outside in the rain.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Friend of mine who has been playing with Fords since he was 15 has a 302ci all stock parts (has to be for class) that made 317whp. Stock un ported heads, stock cam, stock bottom end.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Ford designed the z303 heads and cam and they are on par with aftermarket stuff. You are changing the subject slightly. I said factory parts or designed by the factory. You have said Ford can't compete using Na parts. They can. How many times have cracked on heaters car saying its all aftermarket because you can't use Ford parts. That is grossly wrong. And now days you can fit a fox and a 351 with the stock hood.

My 85 GT had a stock hood on it for a couple of years with the Weesor in it. I just liked the "Chevy" hood on it better...with the "Chevy" wheels
Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Heater tryin' to Chevy up his Rustang

Unreal.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Heater tryin' to Chevy up his Rustang

Unreal.

LoL, according to Hio
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run a stock hood with a carb. You need a hood for efi. Or shitty k member spacers. So your saying buy 1500$ ford racing heads,+ 250$ cam ,+ swap headers, +cowl hood(if going efi) to make what a bolt on gm motor makes. Ford racing make a carb? Or is that a bolt on?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You don't need cowl hood for efi anymore with the new mounts. I would hope a GT40 intaked,z head 351 could do more power than a bolt on LS1.... Silly comparison using stock or Ford parts since its expensive but that is not what the disagreement is about. I am simply disputing that Ford can't make n/a stuff comparable to GM when even the old stuff can do it(but its going to be pricey as mentioned). Even the Zr500 or whatever it was called could put out crazy power and it was n/a. You could duplicate Heater's performance using Ford parts and staying n/a as well but it would be more expensive than his existing combo. That is whats great about the aftermarket. But again that is not the dispute.

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS