Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.br0 vs LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
The problem I see with your logic Hio is, the people that run 93/91, do so by their choice. If they wanted to, they could put a race gas tune on their car and run race gas instead of E85 if its not available... the only difference being they would spend more on fuel, and make a little more power. Like with your car... you run 93 by choice. Nothing stopping you from throwing some 110 unleaded in there with a tune and letting it rip. And people choosing not to run race fuel or E85 if not my problem.
For starters race gas in alot of engines will slow it down. Do you know what octane and the rating means?

It's not a choice if it's not available. One could haul it ir order a drum i suppose. But the way it draws moisture i would advise against it unless you use it quickly.

Basically your hole post there is a bitch out. Go run some nitro methane poppa. After all you can run whatever you want.
Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
A deep pocket h/c/intake ls1 would struggle to make 500rwhp with a composite manifold, t-56, and a 10bolt. Meanwhile the coyotes are doing it through an 8.8 and now irs/ mt-82. It would take a fairly radical ls1 with a single plain manifold and a large hydraulic roller or low lash solid to make it solidly into the 500+ section.

I've read those builds plenty, seen anywhere from 440rwhp to that one trans am making a smudge over 500. Hell, my ai setup made 460rwhp with the t-56 and 10bolt and turned a decent e/t mph with the th400 in nitrous spec on motor. Been there, done that.

#BigBlockChevyFTW
Well.....since I'm blamed for saying my dyno #s are low even after saying that on a dj they would be about 430 and hopefully near 450 after some changes then i would consider 440 out of a h/c car not real great or very mild.

Darth is on a composite intake....vetteboy on a composite intake. Idk how the new msd intake will work but likely will need a different cam to take advantage of it. Same likely for the fast truck intake.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
robz is fantastic with Vettes, his C5z was astounding. I don't recall coming across his whp with that car though.
Think he mentioned it in his 575 RWHP NA SBE ls1 thread
Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Well an HCI ls1 should
Only if it was proper, no one has confirmed that Jakes is proper.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Same-ish power.. close to same weight.. I have 3.15 gear. I would expect those results. I still think I would probably gain more with a stall, than you would with just a drag pack etc.. but its all good mang. Your car ran good NA. Mine seems to run better than the average 5.0 with the same mods.. a few others run similar from m6g.
Gearing is way different. Deehiog car with the same gearing/a6 as you would be much quicker.

Technology has changed alot. If you apply that to the old ls1 it would fly. That old stuff was very very simple..
Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
For starters race gas in alot of engines will slow it down. Do you know what octane and the rating means?

It's not a choice if it's not available. One could haul it ir order a drum i suppose. But the way it draws moisture i would advise against it unless you use it quickly.

Basically your hole post there is a bitch out. Go run some nitro methane poppa. After all you can run whatever you want.

Well.....since I'm blamed for saying my dyno #s are low even after saying that on a dj they would be about 430 and hopefully near 450 after some changes then i would consider 440 out of a h/c car not real great or very mild.

Darth is on a composite intake....vetteboy on a composite intake. Idk how the new msd intake will work but likely will need a different cam to take advantage of it. Same likely for the fast truck intake.

I don't blame you for anything, so when singling me out don't bring up something that has nothing to do what we're talking about. Especially if it's hypothetical.

Fact is, you could put whatever h/c combo you want on your motor with your 102lsxr intake and you'd be lucky to gain 60hp. An aftermarket camshaft with more lift would mean those 1.8 rockers would have to come out and some 1.7's back in. So you already have added lift where your at. Your cylinder pressure will go down the tube being the overlap in the aftermarket camshaft will widen and you'll loose that pressure through this attribute but it will shift your band higher so you could add some gear. Lord knows what you've done to
the heads. Valve job/port touch up, maybe some intake manifold matching?

Truth is you've built the car around the setup you have and its tapped out and appears to be minimalist to the untrained eye. That's why you have the ls7 to swap in. Because changing Pistons, camshaft/valvetrain and heads with little to gain doesn't intrigue you. Ontop of having to Regear the car and dealing with the peaky powerband driver wise.

I'll say it again, with a small 10 bolt and a T-56, a sbe ls1 will be hard pressed to make 500rwhp. The ones that would will be fly cutting those stock Pistons and a lot of those fall short because the bottom end can't take the rpm you would have to rev it too. Then the manifold doesn't flow well way up there. The problem list builds.Lol A built motor will be a bit easier with the right piston/intake choice. It WILL cost a lot of money. A coyote could do the same except easier on a sbe/composite manifold.

Last edited by 99peweterls1; 04-28-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Hio's setup is far from tapped out.

500 RWHP isn't hard on an ls1 SBE these days. 520 has been done a couple times. Vetteboy figures he can get near 575
Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Launching!

500 RWHP isn't hard on an ls1 SBE these days. 520 has been done a couple times. Vetteboy figures he can get near 575
What's Hio's next step to evolution then? Do tell? Lol

So let me break this down.

That's a claim that you haven't achieved yourself or barley a handful of others for that matter. Followed by somone else's assumption of their car.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a claim that you haven't achieved yourself or barley a handful of others for that matter. Followed by somone else's assumption of their car.

What you fail to understand is TeamDug's strategy is YouTube racing and hero times and setups. All other setups are improper, including their own by that definition.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess your 450whp 383 is a complete failure then. Vetteboy apparently did it on completely stock heads too. It's so easy, why has no one else done it?!?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by V8EATR
I guess your 450whp 383 is a complete failure then. Vetteboy apparently did it on completely stock heads too. It's so easy, why has no one else done it?!?
It is very easy to do on a proper build.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
What you fail to understand is TeamDug's strategy is YouTube racing and hero times and setups. All other setups are improper, including their own by that definition.
I don't fail to understand it. I figured I'm feeling pretty spry this morning and will call them out on their bs. Then they can go on repeating the bs again and again, but maybe some people will remember this.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't fail to understand it. I figured I'm feeling pretty spry this morning and will call them out on their bs. Then they can go on repeating the bs again and again, but maybe some people will remember this.
Soon Hio and Hammers nut fondlers will be in here to back them up.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

More bolt ons. Pretty simple
Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8EATR
Just imagine if it was a 383!

Didn't say it was easy, just that its possible
Old 04-28-2016, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

I think you're just pissy that you're finding out that the COYOTAH still has a hard time competing with the old ls1/6 stuff
Old 04-28-2016, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Soon Hio and Hammers nut fondlers will be in here to back them up.
Indeed, everyone Brace yourselves.

As of now they're carrying their own load and it isn't light. Lol

More bolt ons. Pretty simple
Which parts of improvement can he bolt-on?

I think you're just pissy that you're finding out that the COYOTAH still has a hard time competing with the old ls1/6 stuff
Pissy? I think not. My GT is my daily, and I enjoy the **** out of doing just that. Driving it everyday. Lol

Besides, I have old jr. In my sig with the old 454 that gets my power fix in and an avid motorcyclist to boot. No pissieness here
Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't say it was easy, just that its possible
Possible for one guy lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

I don't blame you for anything, so when singling me out don't bring up something that has nothing to do what we're talking about. Especially if it's hypothetical.

Fact is, you could put whatever h/c combo you want on your motor with your 102lsxr intake and you'd be lucky to gain 60hp. An aftermarket camshaft with more lift would mean those 1.8 rockers would have to come out and some 1.7's back in. So you already have added lift where your at. Your cylinder pressure will go down the tube being the overlap in the aftermarket camshaft will widen and you'll loose that pressure through this attribute but it will shift your band higher so you could add some gear. Lord knows what you've done to
the heads. Valve job/port touch up, maybe some intake manifold matching?

Truth is you've built the car around the setup you have and its tapped out and appears to be minimalist to the untrained eye. That's why you have the ls7 to swap in. Because changing Pistons, camshaft/valvetrain and heads with little to gain doesn't intrigue you. Ontop of having to Regear the car and dealing with the peaky powerband driver wise.

I'll say it again, with a small 10 bolt and a T-56, a sbe ls1 will be hard pressed to make 500rwhp. The ones that would will be fly cutting those stock Pistons and a lot of those fall short because the bottom end can't take the rpm you would have to rev it too. Then the manifold doesn't flow well way up there. The problem list builds.Lol A built motor will be a bit easier with the right piston/intake choice. It WILL cost a lot of money. A coyote could do the same except easier on a sbe/composite manifold.
Yea your pissy

So cams now are a bad thing. Gonna lower my cyl pressure where my car can't move.

My heads are stock. I did port match the intake to them.....as one should. But no fancy mamo stuff. Just home ported .

Sbe ls6 is good for 7600. Even later ls1s. Mines been turing 7k for years and wuth logs were it bounces the rev limit to 7100 i feel confident in turning it harder.

Even with 1.8 rockers i have plenty of room to spare. Probably near .040 and plenty of duration.

I'm leaving alot on the table gear wise really

The ls6 fbo like a 5br0 will likely make as much power.....and not feel like a turd driving around. It's far from tapped out by comparison. Bypass the ps pump and e85 would likely pick up atleast 20hp. Since the 5br0 don't turn a ps pump that makes it fair.

The intakes are coming around for these engines. And if i were to do a h/c package i would not be above making my own runners or goin itb. Lots of options now.

I have no desire to do a h/c on this engine. When i want to I'll put the ls7 in. Bolt ons should suffice with it too.

You see you look at the problems. I look for the solutions. That's the difference in us.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 04-28-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Yea your pissy

So cams now are a bad thing. Gonna lower my cyl pressure where my car can't move.

My heads are stock. I did port match the intake to them.....as one should. But no fancy mamo stuff. Just home ported .

Sbe ls6 is good for 7600. Even later ls1s. Mines been turing 7k for years and wuth logs were it bounces the rev limit to 7100 i feel confident in turning it harder.

Even with 1.8 rockers i have plenty of room to spare. Probably near .040 and plenty of duration.

I'm leaving alot on the table gear wise really

The ls6 fbo like a 5br0 will likely make as much power.....and not feel like a turd driving around.

The intakes are coming around for these engines. And if i were to do a h/c package i would not be above making my own runners or goin itb. Lots of options now.

I have no desire to do a h/c on this engine. When i want to I'll put the ls7 in. Bolt ons should suffice with it too.

You see you look at the problems. I look for the solutions. That's the difference in us.

Hio has ported heads! It all makes sense now
Old 04-28-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

A deep pocket h/c/intake ls1 would struggle to make 500rwhp with a composite manifold, t-56, and a 10bolt. Meanwhile the coyotes are doing it through an 8.8 and now irs/ mt-82. It would take a fairly radical ls1 with a single plain manifold and a large hydraulic roller or low lash solid to make it solidly into the 500+ section.

I've read those builds plenty, seen anywhere from 440rwhp to that one trans am making a smudge over 500. Hell, my ai setup made 460rwhp with the t-56 and 10bolt and turned a decent e/t mph with the th400 in nitrous spec on motor. Been there, done that.

#BigBlockChevyFTW
Point I was making is it can be done with money and a thought out build. Most people we can agree don't really do any research into the parts they put on there cars. Same for 5.0 owners as well.

Quick Reply: 5.br0 vs LS2 GTO