Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

lucille vs pray tune 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
If we count 1 mph as a car length, which I think is a fair comparison, then there are 6 car lengths left. There is for sure 6 mph left in that car in FBO form. 100lbs from brakes and rims = 1 - 2 mph, ported MSD/95mm TB = 1 - 1.5 mph, U/D pulley = .7 or better, Aluminum DS = .5 minimum, 26" tires = 2mph. And there are a couple other mods that I only talk about with my customers that have been proven to be worth 1-3 mph if done together.

Everything I have listed has been proven in the 1/4 over and over.
Hopefully i can add a couple more mods and go back out there at it again , i found out afterwards i had passenger o2 sensor go out on me and tbh i wasn't paying attention to my wideband so i don't know at which point it went out . cell p0030 popped on the ngauge
Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

If we count 1 mph as a car length, which I think is a fair comparison, then there are 6 car lengths left. There is for sure 6 mph left in that car in FBO form. 100lbs from brakes and rims = 1 - 2 mph, ported MSD/95mm TB = 1 - 1.5 mph, U/D pulley = .7 or better, Aluminum DS = .5 minimum, 26" tires = 2mph. And there are a couple other mods that I only talk about with my customers that have been proven to be worth 1-3 mph if done together.

Everything I have listed has been proven in the 1/4 over and over.
Nobody likes stock heads and stock cam cars to do extremely well here lol Its hard for most of them to grasp those gains can be had. Brett you should come up to MIR 11/6 with John and Michael (poppa) I have one spot open. Im looking for 133-135 traps out of mine. OP car has a stout A10 and that 6gen is just beginning to get to the MEAT of bolt ons. Really he has almost half again gains to go. Great job on tuning for both cars.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by swapped3vgt
Hopefully i can add a couple more mods and go back out there at it again , i found out afterwards i had passenger o2 sensor go out on me and tbh i wasn't paying attention to my wideband so i don't know at which point it went out . cell p0030 popped on the ngauge
Damn eating O2s already??? What kind of fuel are you experimenting with?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Can happen to anyone. Buster has gone thru 2 sets of O2 sensors.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
Can happen to anyone. Buster has gone thru 2 sets of O2 sensors.
Question for both then still exists
Old 09-10-2018, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swapped3vgt
A good buddy of mine is a Mustang master. Listening to him on how the 02's and knock sensors function is crazy. Good on anyone who has put the effort into learning how to tune the Coyote's. Ford did it right with WB's stock and tying the knock sensors to them. The car is always trying to give you max power. But a bad 02 sensor would be much more detrimental to a Ford than a GM. At WOT the 02's are out of the picture on GM's. But if you have a bad one it could effect your fueling at the start. GM guys have been running through NB 02 sensors on E. I feel it has to do with the water content in E. WB's get funky after a while as well. Not sure what C85 does to them. I haven't messed with it yet.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Nobody likes stock heads and stock cam cars to do extremely well here lol Its hard for most of them to grasp those gains can be had. Brett you should come up to MIR 11/6 with John and Michael (poppa) I have one spot open. Im looking for 133-135 traps out of mine. OP car has a stout A10 and that 6gen is just beginning to get to the MEAT of bolt ons. Really he has almost half again gains to go. Great job on tuning for both cars.
I doubt my car will be ready by then. But we are renting Cecil on 25 Nov for the "Fall Brawl". Hopefully I will be ready by then. Lots of work to do on my car by then. I haven't touched it since CF8. It has just been sitting in the drive way the way I pulled it off the trailer. SMDH. I have had way to much customer stuff to work on. I may just shut down in October and focus on my stuff.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I’m sure with further tuning and mods Swapped can pick up 5-6 cars. If I were him I’d get 2 sensors and start fresh.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
I’m sure with further tuning and mods Swapped can pick up 5-6 cars. If I were him I’d get 2 sensors and start fresh.
I wish I could help him out but I don't know about 5.bros. He is definitely on the right track by going after the car and motor.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Teching In

We’re working thru it. I wish he would go to the track to provide PBD a few good logs to make tweaks from. But track is far.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Those were some awesome runs. The camero rips low/mid range. Very good races. Does the camero have rear gears or what is the ratio? So when does the chevy go into overdrive? The stang is 1:1 in 7th gear till just about 150 then you hear it go to 8th. Like I saw someone else state. Camero a better 1/4 car, stang a better 1/2 car. Both awesome cars. When that camero is running it's almost like it has a shot in it. Those shifts must be throwing it forward. Then after a certain gear or whatever that power is not there anymore. The first two runs were brutal. As Leo was sleeping. He then learned what he had to do. With that 1,2,3 count crap. Then he got some even hits with him. One where Leo got the hit on the mero & it didn't pull ahead. The mero learned he didn't have the top end & he starts to let off right as the stang is passing.

Both cars have 6 cars left in them. Lol.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

The Camaro in this vid is actually running a taller 28" tire which is .4 taller then stock and is not helping his 2.77 gear ratio...it's not touching its 1:1 gear until 165mph. 26" tire with a ported msd/95mm combo would wake it up for sure up top for a roll car.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 09-10-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I wish I could help him out but I don't know about 5.bros. He is definitely on the right track by going after the car and motor.
I appreciate that but one thing is for sure if i ever get a camaro or vette you will be my tuner .
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Wow 2.77 rear gear. So I'm guessing 1:1 is 6th? Two overdrive gears. **** with a 2.77 rear gear may only need one over drive. I doubt a smaller tire is going to help it up top. Ported MSD/95mmTB, with retune, prolly help. So would a ported CJ/TB on stang. Stangs got lots left. Lol. Great runs.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Those were some awesome runs. The camero rips low/mid range. Very good races. Does the camero have rear gears or what is the ratio? So when does the chevy go into overdrive? The stang is 1:1 in 7th gear till just about 150 then you hear it go to 8th. Like I saw someone else state. Camero a better 1/4 car, stang a better 1/2 car. Both awesome cars. When that camero is running it's almost like it has a shot in it. Those shifts must be throwing it forward. Then after a certain gear or whatever that power is not there anymore. The first two runs were brutal. As Leo was sleeping. He then learned what he had to do. With that 1,2,3 count crap. Then he got some even hits with him. One where Leo got the hit on the mero & it didn't pull ahead. The mero learned he didn't have the top end & he starts to let off right as the stang is passing.

Both cars have 6 cars left in them. Lol.
The Camaro has the stock 2.77 rear gear. So it is in 5th gear from 116mph to 150mph if we over rev it to 6,800. Depending on what tune Drew was on and how he was handling the races it could have been shifting into 6th at around 140. It taps 6,500 at around 140 where it is well past making power. As I said above, peak power is 5,700 and right around 130mph in 5th. After that it is on the down hill slide. Nothing can be done with that with the stock ported manifold. A ported MSD will extend that power band to 6K or so and holds till about 6,200 but it is still on the slide. The stock cam in the LT will only pull so far. So for the 6th Gen we have to get out and hope we have enough to hold off other cars. 5th gear in the A8 is 1.29 so it never sees the 1:1 gear. On the dyno, the power difference between 5th and 6th gear is around 22rw on average. So with the 5.0 being in the 1:1 gear and having another 2K or so usable rpm range it makes perfect sense that it would pull back up top. However, there is no reason it shouldn't do the same down low if it is truly the superior car. It has all the gears to keep it in it's power band throughout the run. As you stated, when Leo took the hit he still got pulled back till about 130 where the 6th Gen is out of steam. Thinking about it now, I would like to see a race to 180 or so. That would put the 6th Gen into it's 1:1 gear and the 5.0 into OD. I am wondering if the 6th Gen would come back around. Hmmmmm.

IMHO I would much rather have a car that can sprint than one that can run a marathon. 99% of your street encounters with cars under 700rw are going to be till 130mph or so for normal people. LOL. There are plenty of things that can be done to the 6th Gen to help the top end, we just haven't done them yet. Without a doubt though, the longer the race goes, the more advantages the 5.0 has up to a certain point. No argument there.

What I would like to see is how my tuned 6th Gen in 5th stacks up to other peoples tuned 6th Gens in 5th in the area. Right now we are comparing Apples to Oranges.

I am not sure about your last comment. Are you saying that both cars don't have 6 cars left in them? Or are you just laughing that these cars are stupid fast for what they are and we haven't scratched the surface yet?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The Camaro in this vid is actually running a taller 28" tire which is .4 taller then stock and is not helping his 2.77 gear ratio...it's not touching its 1:1 gear until 165mph. 26" tire with a ported msd/95mm combo would wake it up for sure up top for a roll car.
The stock tire height is actually 26.83" at full inflation. The 305 Mickey R is 27.75" at 30psi, at 18psi it is 27.5". So it is almost a full inch taller fully inflated for roll racing. That is definitely not helping. I am just not sure what tire pressure Drew is running. But if his fronts aren't maxed out and the rears aren't at at least 30psi then he is leaving top end speed on the table. Rotational friction is a bitch to overcome. But even though the converter says it is fully locked, the logs are showing me exactly what mph the car is at given certain rpm. There is a little skew I will admit since I didn't adjust for the new tire height.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

The Camaro has the stock 2.77 rear gear. So it is in 5th gear from 116mph to 150mph if we over rev it to 6,800. Depending on what tune Drew was on and how he was handling the races it could have been shifting into 6th at around 140. It taps 6,500 at around 140 where it is well past making power. As I said above, peak power is 5,700 and right around 130mph in 5th. After that it is on the down hill slide. Nothing can be done with that with the stock ported manifold. A ported MSD will extend that power band to 6K or so and holds till about 6,200 but it is still on the slide. The stock cam in the LT will only pull so far. So for the 6th Gen we have to get out and hope we have enough to hold off other cars. 5th gear in the A8 is 1.29 so it never sees the 1:1 gear. On the dyno, the power difference between 5th and 6th gear is around 22rw on average. So with the 5.0 being in the 1:1 gear and having another 2K or so usable rpm range it makes perfect sense that it would pull back up top. However, there is no reason it shouldn't do the same down low if it is truly the superior car. It has all the gears to keep it in it's power band throughout the run. As you stated, when Leo took the hit he still got pulled back till about 130 where the 6th Gen is out of steam. Thinking about it now, I would like to see a race to 180 or so. That would put the 6th Gen into it's 1:1 gear and the 5.0 into OD. I am wondering if the 6th Gen would come back around. Hmmmmm.

IMHO I would much rather have a car that can sprint than one that can run a marathon. 99% of your street encounters with cars under 700rw are going to be till 130mph or so for normal people. LOL. There are plenty of things that can be done to the 6th Gen to help the top end, we just haven't done them yet. Without a doubt though, the longer the race goes, the more advantages the 5.0 has up to a certain point. No argument there.

What I would like to see is how my tuned 6th Gen in 5th stacks up to other peoples tuned 6th Gens in 5th in the area. Right now we are comparing Apples to Oranges.

I am not sure about your last comment. Are you saying that both cars don't have 6 cars left in them? Or are you just laughing that these cars are stupid fast for what they are and we haven't scratched the surface yet?
I'll start with that was the strongest bolt on 6gen I've seen on vid. Besides your other ones. Very strong. And also if I had one you would also be tuning mine.

People usually like to run their cars in their strongest spots, or speeds, for best performance. As I do. But not everyones car is the same as mine. Some people are cool & run all different speeds. Some people only run certain speeds. I mean we could just race till 100 & I wont even have to shift to 3rd gear. Or 130 & I only have to pull out 3rd. I'm pretty sure that 180 statement was just for a laugh. That's modded lambo, ferrari, fast car speed. Also just not understanding how a car accelerates faster, at even higher speed, with even less gear/or the next gear. Thought it goes the other way.

Just as you'd like to see 6gen vs 6gen, wish I could get 4gen on 4gen. Even a manual/manual race. Lots of cars are auto out there. No complain just run em.

Yes people want 0-130 cars. Some people want 40-150+ cars. Why some peeps make fun of my car. It runs very lazy at the track & anything under 40mph. I love it.

My last statement. Just a joke. Don't take personally. I have no I idea if either car has 6 cars left. If the mero has 6 cars left, why shouldn't the stang? They are very close on mods. Think it was a great match up.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

The stock tire height is actually 26.83" at full inflation. The 305 Mickey R is 27.75" at 30psi, at 18psi it is 27.5". So it is almost a full inch taller fully inflated for roll racing. That is definitely not helping. I am just not sure what tire pressure Drew is running. But if his fronts aren't maxed out and the rears aren't at at least 30psi then he is leaving top end speed on the table. Rotational friction is a bitch to overcome. But even though the converter says it is fully locked, the logs are showing me exactly what mph the car is at given certain rpm. There is a little skew I will admit since I didn't adjust for the new tire height.
Stock good year run flat tire height is 27.7 front 27.6 rear
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Banned

Lol 5.br0 said he "hit the limiter bro!". Must not know how to properly shift an automatic....

6gen was bus lengths ahead from the 20 and 50 rolls. I'd imagine a dig would be much worse. That was fun to watch.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Stock good year run flat tire height is 27.7 front 27.6 rear
On paper, yes. Manufacturer specs are wide and misleading. Lay a straight edge across the top of the stock tire and measure to the ground. It is 26.83". The only reason I know that or tested it is because that is the tire height in the ECM/TCM to dictated speedo mph and shift points. It also exactly correlates to the mph in the scanner and calculators. But I am not here to argue. Just what I have found in testing.