Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Not stock.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a nice, fun and friendly run against a scat pack charger in Mexico on the way back from Nashville.

i only wish I had room to pull out and pass him at greater than 55 mph lol. It was a 2 lane road. I had to peddle it to wait for him to accelerate. I thought about bump drafting his ***.

he has the adult car. He has luxury. My father in law has a new charger. They are far nicer than my stripper.

they are far slower. I really wanted to pass a car behind him AND pass him lol. Just didn’t happen. such a fun drive. Dodge really designed an adult muscle car.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
I had a nice, fun and friendly run against a scat pack charger in Mexico on the way back from Nashville.

i only wish I had room to pull out and pass him at greater than 55 mph lol. It was a 2 lane road. I had to peddle it to wait for him to accelerate. I thought about bump drafting his ***.

he has the adult car. He has luxury. My father in law has a new charger. They are far nicer than my stripper.

they are far slower. I really wanted to pass a car behind him AND pass him lol. Just didn’t happen. such a fun drive. Dodge really designed an adult muscle car.
You would be surprised how many camaro ss and 5.0 cars said the same thing at the track and street. To only get gapped by a 4400 car when I had my 392 😂
Old 07-17-2020, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Capable of running 10s stock if you're good enough.

What Chevy ran 10's stock 15 years ago? I cant think of any.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
What Chevy ran 10's stock 15 years ago? I cant think of any.
not quite 15 years ago, but the 2006 z06 did
The following users liked this post:
HioSSilver (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by spikestang
not quite 15 years ago, but the 2006 z06 did

IIRC the record for a stock C6Z was like 10.7? And was that on the factory tire? The vast majority of them never saw 10's stock. Not exactly sure id use the unicorns as a benchmark. But hey.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
IIRC the record for a stock C6Z was like 10.7? And was that on the factory tire? The vast majority of them never saw 10's stock. Not exactly sure id use the unicorns as a benchmark. But hey.
I think it was on factory rubber, but yes I agree, most were mid to high 11's around here. On a separate note, just watched a coyote powered fox body run a mid 8, all motor.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

I seen that thing to. Very impressive car. Weighs 23xx w/o driver with no carbon on it. Fancy g force trans and as super whoopy clutch.

The motor is not impressive at all. 17:1 compression. Gets rebuilt after 50 passes, needs valve springs every 15 passes. Pos nearly needs the maintenance of a top fuel engine.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I seen that thing to. Very impressive car. Weighs 23xx w/o driver with no carbon on it. Fancy g force trans and as super whoopy clutch.

The motor is not impressive at all. 17:1 compression. Gets rebuilt after 50 passes, needs valve springs every 15 passes. Pos nearly needs the maintenance of a top fuel engine.
damn I didn't know that, doesn't seem worth it.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:22 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

From Hughes Performance:

Turbo Torque Converter Tuning Tech Tip (LONG POST):
One of the problem areas we most frequently see when reviewing data logs from customers who are wanting to improve staging characteristics, boost response, and overall speed of staging a turbocharged drag racing combination is in the ignition timing section of their staging tuning.
The first thing that needs to be understood is that torque converters are load-sensitive devices. As such, the more input load (or torque) that a torque converter receives, the more the torque converter responds in terms of increased stall speed as well as increased rate of acceleration up to staging RPM.
The second thing that needs to be understood is that ignition timing does not need to be retarded below normal naturally aspirated timing levels for a given engine platform while staging until the engine has transitioned into the range of approximately 4 - 6 PSI of boost.
Premature retarding of ignition timing during staging results in a loss of torque production from the engine. This loss of torque production is going to make the torque converter respond with less available overall stall speed as well as slower rate of acceleration up to staging RPM.
Lack of available staging RPM combined with slower rate of engine acceleration while staging means the engine is moving less air and producing less usable energy into the exhaust tract of the engine. This all adds up to reduced exhaust gas velocity as well as exhaust gas volume. Any reduction in exhaust gas velocity and volume results in less energy to drive the turbine of the turbocharger; hence, the turbocharger will be slow to respond to engine speed and slow to build boost / power for effective launch characteristics at the starting line as well as acceleration away from the starting line when the footbrake or transbrake is released.
So... what's the solution?
As an example, if your engine combination would normally provide peak performance in naturally aspirated form at 36 degrees of total timing BTDC, then your turbocharged engine combination will still need 36 degrees of total timing BTDC while you're staging until you've crossed the boost threshold of the previously mentioned 4 - 6 PSI range.
In fact, many (although not all) turbocharged engines equipped with a torque converter actually respond favorably to OVER-advanced ignition timing while staging up to boost threshold crossover. The reality is that you can effectively run as much as 40+ degrees of timing in a turbo car while staging up to boost threshold crossover. Over-advancing the ignition timing starts the burn in the cylinder earlier relative to piston position, resulting in increased cylinder pressure at low RPM which tends to generate more torque at low RPM. Any increase in low speed torque pays off with increased torque converter responsiveness as mentioned earlier in the discussion.
Also, because a torque converter multiplies engine torque up to stall speed on a diminishing scale, the converter effectively helps drive engine speed faster while staging when more low speed torque production is available. Faster rate of engine acceleration = less time required to hit the desired staging RPM.
Once the engine has crossed the desired boost threshold, you can then immediately retard ignition timing typically down into the 8 - 10 degree BTDC range as a good starting point. As with any engine tuning, you'll need to adjust parameters accordingly to suit your specific engine platform & combination of engine parts.
Use of this method will result in the combustion event carrying out into the exhaust tract of the engine when the exhaust valves open, thus producing more energy in the exhaust tract to drive the turbine of the turbocharger at a higher rate of speed. This results in faster boost response as well as more available boost pressure during staging, resulting in increased available power for the launch as well as greater overall rates of acceleration away from the starting line once the footbrake or transbrake is released.
If over-advancing the ignition timing to improve the staging process in your turbocharged car is something you're uncomfortable trying, then by all means stick to what works best for your program & your level of comfort. Keep in mind that encountering pre-ignition or detonation as a result of using over-advanced ignition timing during the staging event is largely a non-issue provided fuel of sufficient octane for the cylinder pressure being produced is being used, and the engine combination is designed / built in such a way that features / combinations of parts that may otherwise lead to pre-ignition or detonation are not incorporated into the build.
As with anything, your mileage may vary using these methods described above. Many factors influence how responsive a turbocharged engine will be while staging, and the methods described here won't overcome a wildly mismatched engine combination, mismatched turbocharger to said engine combination, and/or mismatched torque converter to the overall vehicle combination.
That being said, if your staging tuning for your turbocharged drag racing vehicle **isn't** optimized for maximum responsiveness and speed of staging, then it is **not** the fault of the torque converter if the torque converter is otherwise properly matched for the overall vehicle combination. The torque converter must be given the opportunity to be adequately loaded if you expect the converter to respond effectively while staging.
If you are unwilling (or unable) to adjust your staging tune accordingly, then you're going to have to compromise on the manner in which the torque converter is built, ultimately leading to less-than-ideal converter function & vehicle performance down-track in trade-off for improving the staging characteristics in the face of non-optimized staging tuning.
Additional staging-assist devices such as torque converter dump valve systems may also be necessary to effectively stage a turbo car for drag racing use when a very aggressive converter design is either required or desired to maximize the overall performance potential of the combination. In these scenarios where additional staging-assistance is needed by altering torque converter charge & exhaust oil, the methods discussed here with regard to ignition timing are still relevant and can be employed with great success to help improve staging characteristics.
We should also mention that this discussion does not necessarily cross over to clutch-equipped turbo cars. Clutch combos are a bird of a different feather, so to speak, and, as a torque converter manufacturer, it is not our place to speak for clutch-equipped turbocharged combinations.
Use of these methods in improperly matched combinations, with weak or worn-out components, and/or with insufficient fuel octane may result in damage to your engine and/or supporting systems. The responsibility is on you to insure that your combination is matched and in proper working order.
Facebook Post
Don't forget to follow Hiollary for more tech tips if you want to take 20 years to run low 11s. LOL
Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Funny how the fastest coyotah stock cars are stick cars. Autos aren't even competitive.

Hell the fastest coyotah is a stick car.

Strong possibility the fastest old lt1 is a stick car to. Have to research that one.

Autos are good for someone like you that can't get it done with a stick.

So how much faster you think my ls6 woulda went with a auto??? Guaranteed that one won't get answered because bitch.

Weird about all that right up. You don't think they trying to sell you a converter or anything do ya.....lmao
Old 07-19-2020, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Hio is right about a stick car being faster, I picked up a bit when I made the switch, I'm just wondering if at a certain power level the automatic won't beat it, any how I went 7.3@ 94, in my automatic 2000 camaro, and swapped it to a 99 camaro t56 and it went 7.2@98. Same engine went 6.8@102 in a light fox body with a th350.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with Hio
Old 07-19-2020, 08:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by spikestang
Hio is right about a stick car being faster, I picked up a bit when I made the switch, I'm just wondering if at a certain power level the automatic won't beat it, any how I went 7.3@ 94, in my automatic 2000 camaro, and swapped it to a 99 camaro t56 and it went 7.2@98. Same engine went 6.8@102 in a light fox body with a th350.
Your 4l60 really doesn't count. lol
Old 07-19-2020, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by islander033
Your 4l60 really doesn't count. lol
it probably shouldn't lol
The following users liked this post:
islander033 (07-19-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smasherz
I agree with Hio
hi jake
Old 07-20-2020, 07:21 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick.H
hi jake
you’re likely not wrong.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
you’re likely not wrong.
He probably got banned from other websites and because he has no life he registered on here again praying Jay doesnt ban him for the 67th time.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Banned

Y'all are obsessed with this Jake dude huh? Did he make your pussies itch just like Hio does?
Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick.H
hi jake
I seen you say that Hpipe is Jake? Now I'm Jake? LOL

Quick Reply: Epic SRK B/S thread of 2019