Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1999 GTP 4 door modded, vs the LS1 stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005 | 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 1999 GTP 4 door modded, vs the LS1 stock

Well, I have nothing done to my car except a flowmaster cat back. The guy I raced (and friend) has a few mods note worthy.

3.5" pulley,
Wizair CAI,
Custom-Tuned PCM,
TOG headers/RT DP,
Poly Motor Mounts,
AutoLite 104's,
and 180 TStat
Best 1/4 mile ('05): 14.024@98.59MPH w/ 2.076 60'

His 1.4 was at New England Dragway.

This was after we got out from dinner at Fridays. Bassically we were both heading home on the spaulding turnpike. I called him and told him we shoudl do a roll from after the toll booth. Well we did, but it sucked, because we wanted to wait untill a little down the road from the booth (so cops arn't informed) so we're cruising at about 45 mph holding traffic up behind us, when we launch. That launch was sloppy on both accounts. I looked at him, revved a little, and then he went, got a BIG jump. So I stepped on it, caught him about about 75, shut down at 90 when I had about one car length.

We run again, only the typical 3 honk situation. this time form 60. I thought he had a shitty reaction, because I just SPANKED him bad from the starts. Shut down at 90 with 3 car lengths to spare. He claimed his auto tranny took for-ever to downshift.

Either way, he's a good sport, and knows a win is a win. It was obvious The camaro was alot better considering the huge jump he had on the 45-roll. Either way, I was dissapointed to be honest. He is having problems with KR (knock retard). Its about 3-4* in mid range power... about 5 hp per * right?

Either way, it was fun, but we didn't have enough time to do a little more. Don't worry, there will be another match-up in the future, with vids.
Old 06-23-2005 | 02:10 PM
Teching In

Is your Camaro Auto too? If it is good kill, otherwise stop picking on the poor slushbox drivers

Take him from the line next time and really rip him a new one!
Old 06-23-2005 | 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, my car is an A4. He wants to go from a dig, but I told him that would be stupid. Honestly, I want him to hang even with me at one point, and find a good spot in his powerband, and a not so good one in mine. Just to see if the GTP has a small chance.

I forget his dyno #'s but they were very high 200's. I want to say about 280-290 whp.

But he's got a fat *** 3800 full race weight (nothing taken out of car, this includes full tank of gas, spar, EVERYthing including McDonalds cups) then about another 230 for himself. I weigh about 180, plus I had my g/f in the car, so about 100lbs there.

Like I said, I did expect a better pull from him, but hey, w/e.
Old 06-23-2005 | 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

By your g/f weighing 100lbs...do you mean 300? lol..j/k man
Old 06-23-2005 | 03:54 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

From: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by Bandit Z
Old 06-23-2005 | 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, my hand is really heavy now that I think about it.
Old 06-23-2005 | 05:35 PM
Teching In

Ok...tell your friend to get some rockers and drop to a 3.2 pulley and he'll be in the low 13's.

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2005 | 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, he's really wasting his time with that 3.5" pulley, tell him to go with the 3.25" and go from a 40 roll. That's where his modded PCM will allow him to downshift to 1st gear. Or go from a stop, GTP's are pretty good from a stop with the S/C. Either way he wont have enough to hold you off up top. Even with the pulley.
Old 06-23-2005 | 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 3.2 pully will not work with a stock cam. He has stressed this many times, and so hasn't Intense Motorsports (Please no bashing on Intense, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, then good).

He was looking into rockers and springs, but is worried about the engine igniting on him. The car has 112k on it already, and he CONSTANTLY flogs this thing on a dyno/track.

With the stock coils up front, they have so much preload, that is is very difficult to get traction in his car. He wants it in the 13's, but it could easily be there if he shed some weight on the car, and got better struts/coilovers for a smoother weight transfer.
Old 06-23-2005 | 07:01 PM
Teching In

LMAO...Please humor me on where he is getting his info.
I know MANYYYY people running a 3.2 wit a stock cam! And i am one of them!

Now, if you meant, you can't run a 3.2 wit a stock cam and stock rockers, then your right. I don't know how much you know about gtps...so...

Personally i would rather get a cam installed. I have the 3rd gen rockers...and running the 3.2 pulley...NO TOGS..other stuff and i am getting 3-4 degrees of knock which is probally false seeing that the knock sensors sit in your coolant system and mine is full of dirt and grime....lol...

And intense...i won't go there...lol

And his car won't ignite...tell him to get it scaned...post the scan on the GP boards...people will be able to tell him if his car is running like it should...rockers and 3.2 will make a HUGE difference...he diffently needs spring too...so you don't have valve float....i know people with 140,000 still on the stock internals other then the rockers and springs...

Ight...lataz

Tom
Old 06-23-2005 | 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go as far as I know alot about the 97-03 GTP. Mabey to much considering I'm not a fan of the shitty m90 mounted on top of a usually anemic motor (n/a). Either way, they can be made badass, edspecially with intercoolers.

I know details to, 3.8 series II supercharged, L67. 240hp (OEM) and 280tq (OEM) w-body platform shared with the second gen line-up. Impala, Monte, Buick Regal, Olds Intrigue. I know too much about w-body's, and I have been a member of www.w-body.com for 2 years and I'm fully aware of the inside jokes about those car catching fire randomly. I don't take it seriously of course, but w/e.

Running 3.2 on stock exhaust manifolds is totally retarded. Those manifolds CANNOT flow fast enough to get rid of the extra pressure built by more boost. You might be able to get away with it say you have both rockers and headers, but its still pushing it. Also, your forgetting about heat. the extra heat created by the smaller pully is very noticable. You should consider and intercooler real soon.

He's scanned his sheets and posted them on www.clubgp.com and they always try to assist him, edspecially meets on www.massclubgp.com. He is not getting a false reading about the KR. The one he has is accurate. And a correction, it was 5* total of knock retard.

Please do not insult my knowlage. I'm simply stating facts. You also stated that your read on KR is false, then how can you say the 3.2 works?

I understand slight differences in motors from car to car work differently. I saw a bone stock GTP run a 14.2 UN-modded at the same track my friend turned a 14.0 with his mods. Given, it was a 2-door.

"ight"?

Last edited by z34_nut; 06-23-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2005 | 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Big edit. he made 231 whp...

280-290 to the crank...

do'h!
Old 06-23-2005 | 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bandit Z

is it wrong that i thought about typing the same thing? honestly, it was a thought in my head, but i was like no, there is no sense in saying something like that LOL.

ps: get rid of that flowmaster...i guarantee you a losing hp from it. ask anyone else on here.....it sucks!
Old 06-23-2005 | 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, it was installed when I bought the car. does the fact its just an 80 series help? thats basically it. I think 2.25" or 2.5" from the resonator, to the 80 series, duel 3" out.
Old 06-23-2005 | 11:21 PM
Teching In

Woah....Woah....Sorry if i sounded like i insulted you, i did not mean for you to think that....i was just simply saying i really don't have a clue on how much you know on these cars....so if you were wrong on something i wasn't gonna bite your head off.....oh, and btw, i have ported manis...and your right with the manis not flowing enough....i do have exhaust work also....

OK?!?!

And just for you z34_nut,

ALLRIGHTY SIR!

-Tom
Old 06-24-2005 | 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Totally off subject but dont lost the flowmasters. They rule all. I have the american thunder racing ones and with them headers y pipe and 3.73 gears i got 12.7 @ 111. So a big eat a dick to the nay sayers of flowmaster!!!

John