Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

More LI Woes - Cops to confiscate and auction your car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default More LI Woes - Cops to confiscate and auction your car!

Newsday Link - http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...,1228014.story

This is such bullshit. Theyre so quick to close down our track, but when kids start racing on the streets they pull this kind of crap. Not for nothing, but more people die annually at the one intersection 100 yards from my house than fatalaties across all of long island due to street racing, and I dont see cops sitting there to ticket people who routinely run the light.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the hell is that legal? Suppose yu own a brand new z06 or Viper and some punk kid in a Civic (or Camaro for that matter) wont leave you alone and you decide to dust him once. You could lose your $80K car for that? Seems like the penalty here does NOT fit the crime.

The artciel says "This is not a 'boys will be boys' rite of passage". Guaranteed there are people on the force (and that quote probably came from one of them0 that used to run around with muscle cars in the late 60s whoopin up some racin'.

I hope that this law alos applies to people in the Hamptons, if they take thier Ferrari or Lamborgini out. See how quick the law gets changed when Johnny Moneybags looses $235K because he wanted to show off to some Ricers.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

It said "there had been three fatal wrecks reported already this year due to street racing." I am sure that is like less than 1% of all fatal crashes, so it is not like this is half of all crashes. They should target areas where people constantly run lights or just go on the highway and start pulling over all the other dumbasses that talk on the phone, eat, put on make-up, and drive at the same time.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ss98C5
It said "there had been three fatal wrecks reported already this year due to street racing." I am sure that is like less than 1% of all fatal crashes, so it is not like this is half of all crashes. They should target areas where people constantly run lights or just go on the highway and start pulling over all the other dumbasses that talk on the phone, eat, put on make-up, and drive at the same time.
My feelings exactly. How many millions of dollars are they going to spend on the fast-and-furious type undercover street racing unit? Meanwhile more people die by making the illegal blind right on red down the street from my house. That could easily be curtailed by issuing a couple of tickets or putting up a camera.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

all thats going to do is make people run from the cops, hell, I would.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

In all reality it's the ricer's who are the main focus here. According to some cops I know it's the punk ricers who they are after. Not for nuthn' you're asking for trouble racing on the streets of long island. Long island is WAY too overpopulated nowadays. Last year I was hammering down hempstead tpke going home from my girl's house and I got yanked along with a ricer kid in a civic. Apparently (i never saw the punk) the ricer in the civic was trying to catch up to me when the cop saw us. The cop let me go with a warning and I saw him give the ricer kid a ticket. If the politicians were smart, they'd open up a track somewhere on LI. But they're all greedy morons who only think about themselves. Me, I don't race the ricers anymore because they don't know how to drive and they don't know how act. Try to lay off from racing for a while and watch the cops take all of their cars. It will be funny.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, I live on the corner of a side street where people blow by the stop sign at at least 50mph. My neighbors and my family have called/written letters to the police on numerous occaisions trying to do something about this. There are many children on my block and several cars including my next door neighbor and my sisters car have been hit my ********. If the nassau police would assign an unmarked car next to my house for a month, the county would be out of debt! It has gotten to the point where i might just take the law into my own hands and pull one of these punks out of their car and bash their head with my bat- or whatever i may find.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

This argument will go on forever. "Cops have better things to do than to crack down on street racing." I totally agree, but the fact is nothing is going to get done about it. I read any new laws, absorb it, and still go out every weekend like no new law was passed.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

This argument will go on forever. "Cops have better things to do than to crack down on street racing." I totally agree, but the fact is nothing is going to get done about it. I read any new laws, understand it, and still go out every weekend like no new law was passed.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't they just shoot you in the head?

Laws like this are horrible, but they will never be changed, they will only become more strict simply because they get the most publicity.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they find out they can make the police department and town money this way, and do it legally, they will be all over that... I wonder if it would hold up in court. Like seizing somone's house cuz they had a loud party

Jim
Old 10-30-2005, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

The best part is With three fatal street-racing accidents on Long Island already this year, something needed to be done. Only three in 10 months from street racing. This law makes it sound like thousands of people have died.

Illegal racing "Is akin to someone standing out on the highway and shooting off a rifle. That quote is pretty funny too
Old 10-30-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Street racing wrecks get a lot more publicity than normal accidents. I mean 99% of people drive cars and a wreck isn't as big of a deal. <1% of people street race so when a wreck happens you probably hear about it.....especially if it kills an innocent person.

That penalty seems harsh though. Bottom line though, they'll probably have a lot less street racing when a couple people get their cars hauled away.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cops are idiots. At least around here, i know for a fact of nobody killed or even seriously injured street racing....ever. If a couple hondas piled into each other on the southside, i wouldnt hear about that. That being said, DWI related accidents and red light runners have to be about a 1000x's more of a death threat than street racing in Austin.

However, they are so quick to call anyone speeding that wrecks a "street racing accident". I've seen two accounts on the news 1) A stock 97 looking silverado put into a tree and 2) A stock v6 mustang that hit a pole.

Both were "illegally street racing" but nobody anywhere in town knows them.....riiight.

Luckily, austin usually doesnt feel the need to be dicks about street racing. Probably because there havent been any wrecks or deaths because of it.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is sad, is that DWI offenders get off easier than people caught for Speed Competitions. Diff. laws in diff states, but from what I am seeing, losing your car, prob. jail time, loss of license, who knows what else...you get a dwi, you could lose ur license for 3 years, but prob not, you get a driving privilege, get to keep your car, sometimes you have a jail sentence, but it will get suspended and you will have probation...yea, the new law is bullshit, wanna change it??? petition it, voice out your opinion, draw up stats showing other vehicle related deaths...bitchin about it won't help...best of luck and sorry for the new law
Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank all the Ricers and the Fast and the Furious Movies for the New Laws!!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

How stupid. Streetracing is wrong and should be punished, but not like that. That is rediculous. They've discovered a HUGE, previously untapped source of revenue. All they had to do was start a streetracing media frenzy and pass this law. A $30,000 dollar fine(or whatever your car is worth), is OUTRAGEOUS to say the least! It's all about the MONEY!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

They should amend it to something like $2500, and if you can't pay the fine, they auction the car off to cover the fine. That would probably stop 95% of street racing.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Redundant law since speeding is already a crime. They should enforce the existing laws instead of making tougher penalties for laws that are already covered. The media lovers stories like this and it keeps politicians in a position to make money, so it is viewed as a good thing.

Long Islanders: voice your opinions (intelligently) through phone calls, letters, emails and local media, donate money to the campaigns of those that will work for you, and vote.