Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

sti wants to race

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 10:32 AM
Teching In

Default sti wants to race

A friend of mine has an 05 sti with a helix downpipe, cat back of some kind and a cobb ecu reprogram, who wants to race. Just wanted to get a feeler for what ill be looking at here in terms of a 1/4 race. I've get lid and hooker catback going for me. I might get headers before the race, not sure though, depends on how fast ups is.
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say it'll be a close race. Just remember from a dig you'll have to play catch up and if the headers come in throw them on for insurance.
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Youll tear him up if you can drive
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

From a roll, with headers, you should beat him. From a dig though if he knows how to properly launch his car your gonna get pulled on right away, and if you dont run to a high enough speed you could lose. Dont know much about the cobb ecu, what boost levels are run on that ecu?
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:18 AM
Launching!

With the mods he's got, he should be in the high 12s. So, it all depends on how you can drive. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:21 AM
Launching!

There are like a couple of settings on the AP. Currently I run about 17.5 on it, which is "safe". Once you get higher boost, it could be bad. Cobb has a few maps they run, but most are all on the richer side to be safe. He'll need a protune to get his $$ worth(this is a custom map for his car......that's my next mod).
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:48 AM
Banned

the launch will determine things. If he can't launch his car, you got it made, if he can, its catch-up and if you can drive you have a decent chance.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2005 | 12:05 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

98Z28MASS
TECH Enthusiast -and if you dont run to a high enough speed you could lose.
I'm sorry ,but thanks Capt'n Obvious
Not nice i know,couldn't help myself.

I think you can run with him,but that depends on your driving ability and what you can get for a launch.
An A4 with sticky tires and a convertor will get the launch over him,a M6 with gears and Sticky tires (if it stays together ) will stay with it out of the hole.
All depends on tires,and driver skill.
Good luck and have fun. But what ever you do DON'T back down from the race.
Dave
Old 12-21-2005 | 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

**** just do it for the fun of running, nothing better than having fun at what you are doing and enjoying your car!!
Old 12-21-2005 | 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
I'm sorry ,but thanks Capt'n Obvious
Not nice i know,couldn't help myself.

I think you can run with him,but that depends on your driving ability and what you can get for a launch.
An A4 with sticky tires and a convertor will get the launch over him,a M6 with gears and Sticky tires (if it stays together ) will stay with it out of the hole.
All depends on tires,and driver skill.
Good luck and have fun. But what ever you do DON'T back down from the race.
Dave
Hey thats cool, doesnt bother me you showing your a dick (couldnt help myself). Haha but yea back to your race just run him and see how it goes, and if you happen to lose then all the more reason to mod your car even more.
Old 12-21-2005 | 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

BTW redsscamaroboy, how do you like the Trailblazer SS? I saw one the other day and loved the looks of it, especially the factory chrome wheels. That thing must launch like a bitch with awd and LS2. Im really thinking of trading in my navigator for one but want as many opinions on them as possible so any info/feedback on yours would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-2005 | 03:04 PM
Teching In

i'm doin it for fun really, he just talks alot of ****. He can launch but after that he sucks at shifting, my neck knows frrom experience. I've got 275's on the rear. i ran him when we were stock with no problem, he just inherited money or seomthing and bought a bunch of parts for it. Theres a 35th anni camaro running with us also.
Old 12-21-2005 | 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Nice sounds like it will be some good races. Post up the results when you get them and good luck!
Old 12-21-2005 | 03:38 PM
On The Tree

IMHO, you will lose (If he knows how to race). a good friend of mine has an 05 sti. he's got some neat mods like blow off valve, intake, bpm turbo-back exhaust, engine management. i'm still learning to launch my car so we don't race from a stop. mostly from a 50 ish roll. i've beaten him once and lost four times by 1/2 car length. this is going to be a drivers race so you'll want to be in your prime. with headers you should smoke him. oh and also, our cars have a much higher top end than the sti.
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:09 PM
Board Certified Idiot

let lots of air out of ur tires and Heat them up. if its cold where you are at.. his launch and such will be cut Down.. i raced a 04 with a few mods done to it . I Have a 00 A4 with cut out , lid.& free mods. I got him by few cars. in a DIg.. From a ROLL is was MUrder.. his car is able to do high 12's.. But He is not at the TRACK hes on a STREET paved road heh. think about it. good luck
Old 12-22-2005 | 07:35 AM
Launching!

^^ I hate to say it, but the 04 driver was horrible at driving then. I find it hard to see you walking away in an A4 with those mods if he's running in the 12s. I think the only way it's possible is if he's a GREAT driver and it was stock to get in the 12s. Sorry for the remarks, but it's just my experience with STi's and f-bods.

Last edited by MaSTi; 12-22-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2005 | 09:56 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Go race and have fun,just like 98Z28MASS said. Should be fun win or lose. Real motivation to add some mods if ya can't win this round.

Hey thats cool, doesnt bother me you showing your a dick (couldnt help myself).
Ha,Ha i deserved that!

how do you like the Trailblazer SS?
Very fun to drive,even on snowy roads this thing just jumps of the line,WOT and it will barely spin ,a real blast to drive. At least the 1 time she let me drive was fun!!!!!!!
My car has Nittos and a PT4000 Yank stall,so it feels like it revs real slow compairitively,but i expected that.

That thing must launch like a bitch with awd and LS2.
I would love to swap in a LS2 into the SS,much stronger pull (feel) that my SS would do when stock.

Dave
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Nice yea im going to take a trailblazer ss for a test drive this weekend, and if I can get them down around 30-32K or so for one i think i will have to trade my navigator. I can only imagine how it must jump off the line, and how sick it would be to throw a nice big cam and full exhaust on it. Imagine peoples faces hearing an suv with a nasty lopey idle! I wasnt a huge fan of the original trailblazers but the SS model is just
Old 12-22-2005 | 02:09 PM
Board Certified Idiot

MASTI none taken i was reffing to the 05 STI that ran 12's that was quoted.. i dont know what my friends car ran.. but with a vry skilled driver which is usualy takes to drive these cars..to get them into that # but i know what is possible when on the street in cold weather vs them.
Old 12-22-2005 | 02:36 PM
Launching!

I know usually it's a close race, but it just seems odd that you won from a dig. I can see if the quoted it being in the 12s. You never know until you get out there. I'm not saying you'd loose, but it is a damn close race. I also agree it's VERY hard to drive the STi to get "those #s." I still have a tough time and assume I will until I get more practice at the track. On the street, I'd assume it'd be easier for the STi to win since street-ability is in favor if the AWD cars. I know from a roll it's MUCH MUCH closer. I ran a friend(Dannows6) on the highway and he walked on me, but that's a much more modified car than orignal poster has(Dan's pushing 380whp). Again trying to compare modded to modded is tough. So, all said and done anything can and does happen.