Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Just raced a fast EVO8

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do find it amusing that most f-bod cars don't give any respect to the Evo or STi. All the power to them I say. We all know(those who actually have knowledge about cars) that a stock vs. stock car is a good run. Hell our FI 4cyl can compete with cars like the vette and Cobra in the 1/4. After that it starts to change after the 90-100mph mark, but still. I know I'm just babbling, but what ever. When I beat your LSx, just gimmie a little respect, that's all I ask.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I do find it amusing that most f-bod cars don't give any respect to the Evo or STi. All the power to them I say. We all know(those who actually have knowledge about cars) that a stock vs. stock car is a good run. Hell our FI 4cyl can compete with cars like the vette and Cobra in the 1/4. After that it starts to change after the 90-100mph mark, but still. I know I'm just babbling, but what ever. When I beat your LSx, just gimmie a little respect, that's all I ask.
The only reason you can hang in the 1/4 mile is because of the AWD launch. Its a huge advantage off the line, and it takes some distance for a RWD car to make up for it with pure power.

Sorry, but I don't see why anyone should be giving the STi/Evo respect just because they are AWD. They put down 60+ less horsepower at the wheels than an LS1, and about 120 less WHP than an LS2 or Mustang Cobra. Without a hard launch (i.e. dropping the clutch at 5K RPM) they are nothing special at all.

Sure you can hang in the 1/4, but from a roll its a joke. Any of those cars would walk an STi/Evo from a roll like they're going backwards.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
The only reason you can hang in the 1/4 mile is because of the AWD launch. Its a huge advantage off the line, and it takes some distance for a RWD car to make up for it with pure power.

Sorry, but I don't see why anyone should be giving the STi/Evo respect just because they are AWD. They put down 60+ less horsepower at the wheels than an LS1, and about 120 less WHP than an LS2 or Mustang Cobra. Without a hard launch (i.e. dropping the clutch at 5K RPM) they are nothing special at all.

Sure you can hang in the 1/4, but from a roll its a joke. Any of those cars would walk an STi/Evo from a roll like they're going backwards.
All I got from that post was "blah blah blah ::COUGH:: ::COUGH:: Ricer excuses, ricer excuses ::COUGH:: ::COUGH:: blah blah blah blah blah...

FWIW, AWD isn't an advantage if you have a properly set up RWD... Your argument is weak, since those cars come from the factory with AWD, as the LS1 has over twice the displacement of the STI's and Evo's... Thats just how they are, two very different kinds of vehicles, that run the 1/4 in very similar times... quit bitching...
Old 03-08-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I can respect anything that's fast. I'm not close minded. I like the STi and the Evo both cool little cars, I'd love to take them out on a road course.

If I had the money I'd pick up one of them , most likely an EVO. right now I'm in a huge debate with myself.. I'm trying to figure out if I want to pick up a C6 ( I love them) or if I should hold off and wait for the 09 Camaro.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MillaTK
All I got from that post was "blah blah blah ::COUGH:: ::COUGH:: Ricer excuses, ricer excuses ::COUGH:: ::COUGH:: blah blah blah blah blah...
Old 03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Launching!

So AWD is a huge advantage off the line, but you dont see why the Evo deserves respect. Interesting.

Roll racing is about the most meaningless form of racing. It involves almost no skill. It does not even involve the chassis of the car. It involves power and aero and gearing. Thats it. And so the fact that one car beats another in that one area means that the other is not worthy of respect, regardless of its other merits. Wow.

Keep digging.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparetire
So AWD is a huge advantage off the line, but you dont see why the Evo deserves respect. Interesting.

Roll racing is about the most meaningless form of racing. It involves almost no skill. It does not even involve the chassis of the car. It involves power and aero and gearing. Thats it. And so the fact that one car beats another in that one area means that the other is not worthy of respect, regardless of its other merits. Wow.

Keep digging.
Keep digging what?? I didn't know an opinion could be wrong. My opinion is I don't think the Evo or STi are anything special. The only reason they are fast is due to AWD, not actual power.

Stop following me around and trying to counter every post I make, you're getting annoying.

FWIW, AWD isn't an advantage if you have a properly set up RWD... Your argument is weak, since those cars come from the factory with AWD, as the LS1 has over twice the displacement of the STI's and Evo's... Thats just how they are, two very different kinds of vehicles, that run the 1/4 in very similar times... quit bitching...
Your avatar says "VW Street Racer". Nuff' said
Old 03-09-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

evo's and sti's are also useful when you go grocery shopping since they already have shopping cart wings included
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Keep digging what?? I didn't know an opinion could be wrong. The only reason they are fast is due to AWD, not actual power.

Last edited by diambo4life; 03-09-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:14 AM
LS7 Member

Keep digging what?? I didn't know an opinion could be wrong. My opinion is I don't think the Evo or STi are anything special. The only reason they are fast is due to AWD, not actual power.
So basically any car with awd will be fast reguardless of the power they make?? You seriously have issues...

I don't have to bring sticky tarz to the track or out on the street to 60ft. You guys better not run slicks or else I will nevar have a chance! Oh noesss!!

On a unrelated side note:

My evo made 301 awtq @ 3500 rpm on a mustang dyno with an exhaust, mbc, and tune for right under $850. This was more than enough to walk a lightly modded ls1 from a roll. From a dig on the street, forget about it. I will test out the bolt-on cam Evo vs bolt-on cam ls1 here before too long. From past experiences, it might take a wee bit more boost with the help of some race gas to handle one from a roll. Unless he is on tires, a dig on the street or track would be almost pointless...

I have driven several ls1's, and they are really fun cars. I plan putting a 427 + 200 shot in a 3rd gen fd. I'm gonna need ALOT of tire, and it's gonna be wicked.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Lol, too funny, so I guess a car that comes stock with 270/300+ hp is not fast due to "power" but the fact that its awd?? That makes no sense at all. From a roll, my Evo puts a lot of LSx to shame, from a dig it gets even worse. Yeah my Evo isnt the fastest car out there by far, but it holds it own for a little 4cyl even from a roll against the mighty V8's.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^That's what I'm saying. You bitch because we're AWD, but when you have slicks it's pretty much an equalizer. And as far as a roll race, you'd be suprised what some of are AWD cars can do. I can hang with a few LSx car's as well. Yes I'm modded, but so are the cars I hang out with. Your just a fool I guess. *shrug*
Old 03-09-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely respect an STI or EVO. Heck you can drive them in the SNOW, RAIN or SHINE. They seem to be really fun to modify and Drive.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
So basically any car with awd will be fast reguardless of the power they make?? You seriously have issues...
Did I say that?? NOPE, you said that. What I was referring to is the fact that considering the Evo's power, its only as fast as it is becasue its AWD. With 3200lbs and 276HP, its would only run about 14.0 at best if it were FWD. Yet they are almost a full second quicker, due to the AWD launch. Read what I actually wrote before you go and assume things

On a unrelated side note:

My evo made 301 awtq @ 3500 rpm on a mustang dyno with an exhaust, mbc, and tune for right under $850. This was more than enough to walk a lightly modded ls1 from a roll. From a dig on the street, forget about it. I will test out the bolt-on cam Evo vs bolt-on cam ls1 here before too long. From past experiences, it might take a wee bit more boost with the help of some race gas to handle one from a roll. Unless he is on tires, a dig on the street or track would be almost pointless...
How do you figure that?? With 301WHP, you wouldn't even be able to walk a stock LS1 from a roll. They put down over 300HP at the wheels stock, and with "light mods" as you say, that number would most likely be closer to 325WHP. Not only that, but the LS1 also has significantly more torque to work with as well as a 6-speed manual instead of a 5-speed like your car. The weight difference is minimal to begin with, and even more so from a roll.

Lol, too funny, so I guess a car that comes stock with 270/300+ hp is not fast due to "power" but the fact that its awd?? That makes no sense at all. From a roll, my Evo puts a lot of LSx to shame, from a dig it gets even worse. Yeah my Evo isnt the fastest car out there by far, but it holds it own for a little 4cyl even from a roll against the mighty V8's.
Do you have any clue what kind of WHP Evos put down stock?? About 230-240WHP due to approximately 25% AWD drivetrain loss. Thats not even anything close to enough to hang with an LS1, which puts down over 300WHP stock. So unless you have some serious mods, you're aren't "putting any LSX's to shame"
Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

It may be possible, the LS1 may have been an auto and we all know the auto's dead spots from a roll.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

So unless you have some serious mods, you're aren't "putting any LSX's to shame"

You are s l o w. And I dont mean just your car.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Do I have any idea what Evos put down stock? Hmm....Lemme see maybe you should look at my sig!! I dont have serious mods, at least I dont consider them serious, bolt on's relash and cams, bring on an LS1 carfrom a roll, I'll show you what happens. Matter of fact, Ive said it before. I can race our Z06 form a roll and it wont pass the Evo until after 4th gear, I dont think an LS1 car would be next to me by that time, it would be in my rearview mirror (stock or slight mods) Believe me been there and done that plenty of times with SS's WS6's, TA's you name it, so quit basing your opinion on ricer math, every car is different.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Your avatar says "VW Street Racer". Nuff' said
You are a ******* idiot... "Nuff' said"

******* newb
Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Yeah they can be some fast little bastards. Ask Kens02SS about the Viper and HEAVILY modded evo 8 we ran into on the way to Victorville.

Well I would think your car would be little, its funny just because it has a 4cyc people still refur to the car like its a civic or somthing. It does have 4 Doors and weighs in as much as a Fbody or a tad bit more. Lol Nothing little about them...
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Guys dont you get it yet NOTHING BEATS LS1s THERE GOD AND NOTHING COMPARES!

Quick Reply: Just raced a fast EVO8