Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS

Well I've had my EVO IX RS for a little over a month and I've won some races, and lost some. One particular race was against a LS1 Firebird no where near stock that just blew my doors off. So anyways I am not usually the one to initiate a race, but saw a LS1 Camaro SS from what seem to me to be stock. So I decided to egg him on for a little run, since there was very light traffic, a rarity for southern california. So anyways we went from about a 50mph roll to around 120mph and he got me by about a car. Good race, well best race I've been in so far, but I was happy that my EVO held up well to a LS1 Camaro SS. But in all honesty what got me the most was that the Camaro SS wanted to go again, same result except a little closer. Then he wanted to go again, ok, from a 70mph roll, I pulled a little at the start but eventually same result. Had enough, nope, wants to go again, this guy just didn't want to give up. I mean damn you just beat my car three times, your faster. Now my exit is coming up, and this guy follows me, and pulls up next to me at a light. We chat for a second and the guy is like what do you have on your car, I tell him "A drop in air filter", and he is like "Are you sh*tting me, must be something wrong with my car?" So I am like "What do you have done to your car?"
He tells me, "Nothing, bone stock."
I mean I can't get over the look of dissapointment he had in his car. Now this brings me to this mind of thinking, why are some guys so overconfident about their cars, he acts like he was racing a Celica or something.

Last edited by BSmonitor; 03-20-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Nice death

He'd probably heard that Evo's and STi's are slow from a roll and thought that he would kill you. Oh well, at least he's educated now
Old 03-20-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BSmonitor
Well I've had my EVO IX RS for a little over a month and I've won some races, and lost some. One particular race was against a LS1 Firebird no where near stock that just blew my doors off. So anyways I am not usually the one to initiate a race, but saw a LS1 Camaro SS from what seem to me to be stock. So I decided to egg him on for a little run, since there was very light traffic, a rarity for southern california. So anyways we went from about a 50mph roll to around 120mph and he got me by about a car. Good race, well best race I've been in so far, but I was happy that my EVO held up well to a LS1 Camaro SS. But in all honesty what got me the most was that the Camaro SS wanted to go again, same result except a little closer. Then he wanted to go again, ok, from a 70mph roll, I pulled a little at the start but eventually same result. Had enough, nope, wants to go again, this guy just didn't want to give up. I mean damn you just beat my car three times, your faster. Now my exit is coming up, and this guy follows me, and pulls up next to me at a light. We chat for a second and the guy is like what do you have on your car, I tell him "A drop in air filter", and he is like "Are you sh*tting me, must be something wrong with my car?" So I am like "What do you have done to your car?"
I mean I can't get over the look of dissapointment he had in his car. Now this brings me to this mind of thinking, why are you guys so overconfident about your cars, he acts like he was racing a Celica or something. Honestly some of you need to wake up and realize that Imports are not all slow. I mean why do you guys hate on Imports so much anyways, are you guys so insecure about your vehicle purchases? I don't know maybe he raced a EVO before and won by a large margin, but just like any car the EVO community is plagued with some bad drivers, but sh*t I know how to race from a roll, not that hard. I'm wondering if this member is on this website, maybe he can chime in.
Some people don't get it! Good races!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good races, I guess some dont know that the EVO is a pretty quick car in stock form.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Teching In

I am starting to think that maybe he thought I was just a base Lancer with an EVO body kit, my car doesn't come with the Stock Spoiler that many have grown accustomed to seeing on EVOs. In that case I would think there was something wrong with my car too.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the MIVAC helps to on the top end.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Board Certified Idiot

i would be shocked to if My SS only put only a Car on you from a 70MPH roll. i would think there was somting wrong with it as well. nice race tho
Old 03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am starting to think that maybe he thought I was just a base Lancer with an EVO body kit, my car doesn't come with the Stock Spoiler that many have grown accustomed to seeing on EVOs. In that case I would think there was something wrong with my car too.
A lot of people think that when they see an EVO rs. Its so hard to tell its not a base lancer until you see the front of the car with the hood scoop and FMIC. The RS is the lightest model too, so you would certainly have a weight advantage on the SS, plus it also depends on the driver. Have you dynoed your EVO IX yet and does it push anymore boost than an EVO VIII? I only ask because when my buddies 03 EVO MR was stock and I race him with just a catback I would get him by about 2-3 cars from about 45mph-100+mph. Nice race though and try to post some pics of your EVO IX, love to see them.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 PM
5-7
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266
Good races, I guess some dont know that the EVO is a pretty quick car in stock form.
it is?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
i would be shocked to if My SS only put only a Car on you from a 70MPH roll. i would think there was somting wrong with it as well. nice race tho
How if they're both low 13 second cars???

The LS1 F-body a bit lower than the EVO low 13, but low thirteen second cars nonetheless. The difference is not THAT much.... Two car difference with the SS winning sounds about right to me.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Every fbody isnt a low 13 second car, granted they have the potential. But DA plays a huge role in the 1/4 game. Mine ran 13.6 stock. And ive heard of others runing 14flats. And then you have your 12.8s down in florida. Good power but you can plan a pretty picknik but you caint predict the DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

If he was that disappointed in his car, maybe he should sell it.

"Are you sh*tting me, must be something wrong with my car?"

When he said that to you, you should have told him something... I dunno, **** YOU, maybe?

I mean I can't get over the look of dissapointment he had in his car. Now this brings me to this mind of thinking, why are you guys so overconfident about your cars, he acts like he was racing a Celica or something. Honestly some of you need to wake up and realize that Imports are not all slow. I mean why do you guys hate on Imports so much anyways, are you guys so insecure about your vehicle purchases? I don't know maybe he raced a EVO before and won by a large margin, but just like any car the EVO community is plagued with some bad drivers, but sh*t I know how to race from a roll, not that hard. I'm wondering if this member is on this website, maybe he can chime in.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jessedale98
Every fbody isnt a low 13 second car, granted they have the potential. But DA plays a huge role in the 1/4 game. Mine ran 13.6 stock. And ive heard of others runing 14flats. And then you have your 12.8s down in florida. Good power but you can plan a pretty picknik but you caint predict the DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Agreed... I feel that way too, but I always get flamed for saying so.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

why are you guys so overconfident about your cars, he acts like he was racing a Celica or something. Honestly some of you need to wake up and realize that Imports are not all slow. I mean why do you guys hate on Imports so much anyways, are you guys so insecure about your vehicle purchases?

welcome to the internet, I hope you enjoy your stay

Last edited by rasputin; 03-20-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I mean why do you guys hate on Imports so much anyways, are you guys so insecure about your vehicle purchases?
Sounds to me like the guy you raced was cocky and ignorant about EVOS...not insecure.

I'm wondering if this member is on this website, maybe he can chime in.
He likely doesn't visit these forums because we all seen the vids of that nasty 600 WHP EVO.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Globalpack
He likely doesn't visit these forums because we all seen the vids of that nasty 600 WHP EVO.

Why would the reason, assuming he's not a member, for the LS1 owner's lack of membership to this forum be found in our viewing of some vid concerning some "nasty 600 WHP EVO?"
Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bboyferal

Why would the reason, assuming he's not a member, for the LS1 owner's lack of membership to this forum be found in our viewing of some vid concerning some "nasty 600 WHP EVO?"

If the guy in the Camaro saw the videos of the 600 HP EVO he would have realized the EVO IS a worthy opponent..
Old 03-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Globalpack
Sounds to me like the guy you raced was cocky and ignorant about EVOS...not insecure.

Your probably right, and to make it clear, the guy wasn't a dick to me or anything was actually pretty cool once we talked and I am the one that initiated the race, not him, he just didn't want to stop LOL.

Not sure on what my car puts down, but most IXs are putting down anywhere from 250-275WHP down stock on pump gas, so hopefully somewhere in there. My car does trap in the 104mph range which I guess is kind of slow for a IX because others trap 105-106mph, but most of those are on 93 octane, not 91 craptane we use in California.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Also my last comment about being insecure about your vehicle purchases was not needed and I edited it out.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Agreed... I feel that way too, but I always get flamed for saying so.
Welcome to my world. For some reason people refuse to acknowledge the existence of drag strips over about 2000FT. Bandimere is the most humbling thing in the world. It makes 10 second cars 11 second cars and right up the line. Sucks.

Quick Reply: 2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS