Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What would an integra need....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What would an integra need....?

Ok, theres a kid in town that goes to school with my brother, he has an Acura Integra, with apparently just a bunch of motor work done. My brother says hes not spraying and there is no forced induction of any kind.

He says its had a motor swap although he doesnt know from what. My guess would be its an H22 (prelude motor I think?) and that they cylinders have been bored, and maybe its been cammed I dunno.

I'm really not too worried, just wondering what I might expect out of this thing at the track ?

I know FI they can be a force to be reckoned with since they are so light and everything. But no FI I dunno what I'm dealing with

I should be running high 12s no problem this season BTW
Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's probably not running an h22 swap, more likely a b18c or a k20 swap. If it is fully built meaning all motor, he probably can dip into the 12's with full interior. If he is gutted possibly low 12's.

I have a friend that just put a k20 swap in his 93 civic hatchback. With headers,intake,exhaust and toda cams, he was able to run 12.5. I'm not sure about the mph, but pretty impressive if youask me.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I would not worry about it to be honest with you. The K20 is a badass little beast but thats not a cheap swap, nor is the H22, so my guess is he doesnt have either. If you could, ask him what motor it is because that would make this a lot easier. My guess is he has a B16 or a B18 which could dip into the low 14's if he has all the boltons for it, and perhaps dip into the high 13's with drag radials and suspension.

The things to be weary of would be the sign of big *** drag radials up front, if he doesnt have any kinda hardcore tires up front, then hes not making enough power to spin them until the end of time. If all you see is a steering wheel, a seat, and some gauges, then you should be weary of it running in the 13's for sure, especially with a motor swap. Other than that, ur fine, just look for those two things. I have done my research on these little guys and read a lot of threads on them just recently, and pretty much told you all that I came up with.

rule of thumb in my opinion: no interior, big *** tires up front....be careful, otherwise drive smart and you'll do fine.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

According to my brother he has put ALOT of money into this car so I wouldnt rule out an expensive motor swap. But word is he doesnt have any kind of sticky tires up front and I would guess he's going to be running a full interior (although I'll probably gut most of mine for the track that weekend)

I'm really not sure what I will be running with my new stuff and I still have to get used to these new tires and stuff so we'll see how it all pans out
Old 03-23-2006, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Luna
According to my brother he has put ALOT of money into this car so I wouldnt rule out an expensive motor swap. But word is he doesnt have any kind of sticky tires up front and I would guess he's going to be running a full interior (although I'll probably gut most of mine for the track that weekend)

I'm really not sure what I will be running with my new stuff and I still have to get used to these new tires and stuff so we'll see how it all pans out
if i was to buy an expensive motor, I would buy a K20 or an H22. I think the H22 is the torquiest 4 banger of the bunch and the K20 is similar in power to the F20C out of the S2K. With bolt on's, the K20 can hit 220 at the wheels which is kind of a lot in a 2600lb car. A fully modded integra with a K20 would be a 13 second car for sure, but he wont have the crazy trap speed you have. I think you're fine, although he will be nipping at your heals in a best case scenario for him. Still, something tells me in the back of my head that you will smoke his ***

Fast cars dont always win races, drivers do. You said you need to get used to your car, which tells me you are not comfortable with it. Learn your car, be comfortable with it, be able to predict what it will do and it will be worth more than all your mods put together.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rasputin
if i was to buy an expensive motor, I would buy a K20 or an H22. I think the H22 is the torquiest 4 banger of the bunch and the K20 is similar in power to the F20C out of the S2K. With bolt on's, the K20 can hit 220 at the wheels which is kind of a lot in a 2600lb car. A fully modded integra with a K20 would be a 13 second car for sure, but he wont have the crazy trap speed you have. I think you're fine, although he will be nipping at your heals in a best case scenario for him. Still, something tells me in the back of my head that you will smoke his ***

Fast cars dont always win races, drivers do. You said you need to get used to your car, which tells me you are not comfortable with it. Learn your car, be comfortable with it, be able to predict what it will do and it will be worth more than all your mods put together.

The only thing I'm not comfortable with is my new tires, I'm definetely not used to the way that a Bias ply slick feels when comparing it to my all season tires, but by the time we are ready to line em up I should have a good feel for them
Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Launching!

B20 bottom ends out of CRVs with high flowing B16 heads and B18 manis will be capable of making like 200 at the wheels. Its not very pricey and pretty common. Or he might just have a B18 with cams etc. Like everyone else said, 90% of the time it wil be mid-13s or slower. You will have the roll race locked almost certanly. Learn to launch well, because thats the place he'll try to get you-midway through 1st to the end of 3rd-using a nice power to weight ratio.

I bet on you, especially with a good tire and all.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

the other thing I left out is it would be at the track not on the street. I just put it in here because I know how everyone hates bench racing. I'm not sure if being at the track would really give me the edge or not, I would think so
Old 03-23-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have sticky tires and hes on a street tire, racing at the track may very well be to your advantage.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

It depends. If you are comfortable at the track and get used to the tire, I would say its definitely a big help to you. Nice surface conditions help RWDs more than FWDs. due the RWD being able to take advantage of the weight transfer better. So stickier track=more weight transfer on launch=better 60 for you.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Well the word is that its just the original 1.8L motor not even VTEC i think with a bunch of motor work done. My brother said something about higher compression (he doesnt really know cars too well) But a bolt on LS1 > fully built 1.8L lawnmower engine
Old 03-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

low 13's and I mean a 13.5 or 13.4 at best.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Well the word is that its just the original 1.8L motor not even VTEC i think with a bunch of motor work done. My brother said something about higher compression (he doesnt really know cars too well) But a bolt on LS1 > fully built 1.8L lawnmower engine
You're going to hand him his *** on a silver platter.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my cousin got about 220whp (according to DD2000 or a similar program) out of a ford 2.3L NA and it had EVERYTHING done to it. All i know is it would run like made (dirt track car). Seriously, i doubt he has anyhting for you.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

No VTEC? not fast! u already won
Old 03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Launching!

VTEC is overated (as if we did not know that LOL).
But seriously, its pointless in a full out build. All it is is the ability to use two different grinds on each cam lobe at certain rpm ranges so you can have easy gas mileage cam profile down low and slightly more aggressive profile up high. Any engine really going for it will just get a hi-po cam anyway.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

a b18 non vtec is a ls motor. you said it's in a integra, thats the factory motor. that thing would have to have some very serious serious motor work to even be a competitor. go whoop his ***, and video tape it for all our viewing pleasure.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

watch out if he has an 4ft wing on the back that will give him extra 300whp!!! give me a break i woundn't think twice about him. unless you drive like a 80 year old grandma you will destroy him by at least 10 cars. sound like the 20 year old kid on pinks it has 600 hp what happened he got destroyed. those cars are nice but unless he's pushing alot of boost and custom short block its nothing but another ricer with a large fart can.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it looks like we have a date set! a week from tomorrow at US41 its goin down! Hopefully I will be bringin my brother with and a video camera to video tape the severe *** beating.

Another local ricer also named nick what are the odds, is talkin **** on my car (he has an almost completely stock eclipse GSX) so it looks like there will be two *** beatings of two nicks with imports for your future viewing pleasure. I'll keep you updated!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Launching!

If he's in a stock GSX you will murder him.

Having said that, I hope its not really at US41 or that you change the venue, because Cops will wait for you if they come accross the info. Some depts are on a crusade against street racing.

So I would change the venue if I were you.