Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock '01 WS6 vs Stock 04' Mach1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
hey sup man?, i didn't kno u just joined ls1tech. i thought u were already a member here. anyways enjoy ur stay

I was told about this site and never joined. A fellow macher told me about this thread, so I figured, what the hell, I was thinking about joining anyway. My brother is Big into camaro's.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Wow...this was an interesting read. Two great cars......drivers race.

Slow vette, jester, grey, angus - how's it going?

Seriously though, is it that hard for everyone to admit stock for stock it comes down to skill of the driver - ESPECIALLY on the street. MPHs are higher on LSx, no doubt, but the ETs are about dead even.
It's going good

I haven't been to the track lately - it's been too hot for me.

Last time I went it was 95+ degrees & the best I could manage was an 11.65 on motor...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Wow...this was an interesting read. Two great cars......drivers race.

Slow vette, jester, grey, angus - how's it going?

Seriously though, is it that hard for everyone to admit stock for stock it comes down to skill of the driver - ESPECIALLY on the street. MPHs are higher on LSx, no doubt, but the ETs are about dead even.
Everything is good here...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cam99
I thought it might have been. A disappointment to the marque. Mines white, but I don't go to PRP to much anymore. Tired of getting only two runs in.

OMG I hear you... goddamn shitboxes breaking every 10 mins. I HATE PRP!!!!!!!!! Not to mention my times seem to go up by .3-.4 there.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLAKE 01 WS6
exept for you being a ***, sucks you can't lock this thread huh??

Sucks even worse you can't admit to FACTS.

Stock for stock fbods and machs are a driver's race. Plan and simple. You should look up the word DENIAL in the webster's dictionary. It might help you become realistic.

Angus - I wish I could cry about an 11.6. Sometimes I wish I could ave a second mach to have as a track beater.........too bad I am into originality.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Jesus dude , take some meds or something.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Jesus Christ! Dude, what is your problem?

BTW- Sup pony? It took you long enough.

Last edited by grey03mach1; 08-05-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree.
Sucks even worse you can't admit to FACTS.

Stock for stock fbods and machs are a driver's race. Plan and simple. You should look up the word DENIAL in the webster's dictionary. It might help you become realistic.

Angus - I wish I could cry about an 11.6. Sometimes I wish I could ave a second mach to have as a track beater.........too bad I am into originality.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mach1's are pretty much dead even with LS1's through the 1/4 mile. After that point though the LS1's start to assert themselves (We're making about 10-20 more rwhp on the average). The Mach1 has better gearing and suspension. It can also launch harder, due to having a better rearend from what i've ascertained.

I can believe your kill. WS6's actually have a functional ram air unit, which most people just dismiss.

I don't see many Mach1's running 12's in Southern California, due in large part to the heat, and the lack of proper track prep. Some member from Mach1registry traded in his Mach1 for a LS2 powered goat, and he was not running anywhere near 12's with alot of the mods that some of the people here are listing. It all comes down to density altitude, and, of course, a sick driver behind the wheel. Not everyone can perform clutchless upshifts.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Denom
Mach1's are pretty much dead even with LS1's through the 1/4 mile. After that point though the LS1's start to assert themselves (We're making about 10-20 more rwhp on the average). The Mach1 has better gearing and suspension. It can also launch harder, due to having a better rearend from what i've ascertained.

I can believe your kill. WS6's actually have a functional ram air unit, which most people just dismiss.

I don't see many Mach1's running 12's in Southern California, due in large part to the heat, and the lack of proper track prep. Some member from Mach1registry traded in his Mach1 for a LS2 powered goat, and he was not running anywhere near 12's with alot of the mods that some of the people here are listing. It all comes down to density altitude, and, of course, a sick driver behind the wheel. Not everyone can perform clutchless upshifts.
I agree with you. WIth the exception of the 'bluegoat'. I think he had a horrible car. There are a few memebrs in so cal that ran better than him with similar mods (yes, I know who you are talking about). He either had a car that was poorly made (I do know he complained alot about it) or he never truely learned how to drive it. The mach takes some practice on launching because of the rear and tranny gears. It doesn't take much to break the rear loose. I think that guy just couldn't drive his mach. Sorry to hi-jack. I agree with the 'past the 1/4'. That is where the LSx shows it's stuff. But I am a 1320 ft. kind of guy and that is all I really look at. Not into twisties, roll racing, or anything else. Just some good ole fasjioned drag racing.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Yes "06bluegoat" shows that video of him (in his old mach) running his buddy in the white Camaro everytime a thread starts involving a Mach vs LS1. It's to the point now that we think it is humorous. A few of us at the registry are aware of his video and joke about it when he post it.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I do know of another guy (Whom works at Race Prep, where I had my car tuned). He owned a Mach1, and ended up getting into an accident with it. Rather then keep the car he traded it for a 04 GTO. Believe it or not the automatic goat dynoes 30whp higher then his former Mach1. He says it is considerably faster now, granted that both cars had bolt ons.

Mach1's primarily have a better suspension and gearing. I don't agree that their engines are on equal terms with the LS1 though. I mean with damn near full bolt ons alot of Mach1's barely kick out above 300whp.

1/4 mile wise though, they do really well. I just think the suspension is the benefit with them. Most of them dyno around 270-280whp, so it's not a power advantage over the LS1 (Especially not the 01/02's). Now the 03/04 Cobras are a whole different story altogether.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually I do know of another guy (Whom works at Race Prep, where I had my car tuned). He owned a Mach1, and ended up getting into an accident with it. Rather then keep the car he traded it for a 04 GTO. Believe it or not the automatic goat dynoes 30whp higher then his former Mach1. He says it is considerably faster now, granted that both cars had bolt ons.

Mach1's primarily have a better suspension and gearing. I don't agree that their engines are on equal terms with the LS1 though. I mean with damn near full bolt ons alot of Mach1's barely kick out above 300whp.

1/4 mile wise though, they do really well. I just think the suspension is the benefit with them. Most of them dyno around 270-280whp, so it's not a power advantage over the LS1 (Especially not the 01/02's). Now the 03/04 Cobras are a whole different story altogether.

I agree again......with the exception of two things.......an Auto '04 Goat being quicker. '05 sure. but the '04s have the lower hp and weigh alot compared to the mach, with worse gears. Also, I dont' know where you got the info on ....."damn near full bolt ons alot of Mach1's barely kick out above 300whp".....I don't have near full bolt ons and i have 300hp. Maybe you were thinking of the A4s? But the 270-80 you mentioned, that is stock M5 numbers, so I am confused.

BTW - it took me 3.5 hours to go the my tuner, and it was strapped up right away, with only 10K miles on it. A CAI, midpipe, catback and spacer isn't all that when it comes to bolt ons. There is still TB, Headers, Alum DS, etc. And there are other mach owners with the same setup as me, and have seen over 300.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

The DOHC motors are not as mod friendly as the LS1's. I think Ford managed to get most of the HP out of the Mach's and didn't leave much on the table. Kinda like GM did with the C5 Z06's.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by grey03mach1
The DOHC motors are not as mod friendly as the LS1's. I think Ford managed to get most of the HP out of the Mach's and didn't leave much on the table. Kinda like GM did with the C5 Z06's.

I wouldn't say that...I think the lil' ole 4V repond great to S/C;s LOL
Old 08-05-2006, 11:19 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

You guys still bitching in this thread.. Some people in here sound like a broken record.. Blake your a real big man calling someone a *** on the internet.. Jester is a pretty big ole boy and I bet it wouldn't take much of him to whoop a mans ***.. This thread makes me laugh..
Old 08-05-2006, 12:47 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

O well, what has your car ran at the track?? Your making almost 400rwhp on a mustang dyno correct so a dynojet would be around 430 or so I would assume. When I had the 125 shot in my car it put down right around that much power and ran very low 11's.. On motor my car runs about what Jesters does.. I'll take it to the 1/4 mile track again sometime when the weather gets cooler to get another best time.. Hopefully I'll have a 10sec pass by then..
Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

like he is to tell me to "go pump myself" in another thread! i aint scared to take an *** wuppin from anybody. the only thing that makse me laugh.....the mach 1 personality
I believe that the word you're shooting for is "personally". Unless you have a problem with the personality of a car.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Mach1's are pretty much dead even with LS1's through the 1/4 mile. After that point though the LS1's start to assert themselves
Mmmokay. And that buys you what at the drag strip, which ends at a quarter mile?
Believe it or not the automatic goat dynoes 30whp higher then his former Mach1.
Unless you do your racing strapped down to a dyno, what difference does this all make?? You can get a 30hp difference out of the same car ON THE SAME DYNO just by doing runs at different times of the year, or if the calibration gets a little off, different levels of competency of the dyno technician, a whole lot of things can alter that. In drag racing, it's not necessarily how much power you have, but how you make use of the power you do have. A car with 50 horsepower less than another can easily win a race if the driver/car combination gets that power to the pavement in a quick efficient manner, and that's a fact! Again, I'm talking REAL drag racing, from a dead stop, not this goofy roll down the expressway at 60mph ****! That's some dumb crap dreamed up by the ToyotaNissanHonda goobers to make up for their cars total lack of torque, so they wouldn't look like they were going in reverse when they raced.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:58 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by TRMach1
Mmmokay. And that buys you what at the drag strip, which ends at a quarter mile?

Unless you do your racing strapped down to a dyno, what difference does this all make?? You can get a 30hp difference out of the same car ON THE SAME DYNO just by doing runs at different times of the year, or if the calibration gets a little off, different levels of competency of the dyno technician, a whole lot of things can alter that. In drag racing, it's not necessarily how much power you have, but how you make use of the power you do have. A car with 50 horsepower less than another can easily win a race if the driver/car combination gets that power to the pavement in a quick efficient manner, and that's a fact! Again, I'm talking REAL drag racing, from a dead stop, not this goofy roll down the expressway at 60mph ****! That's some dumb crap dreamed up by the ToyotaNissanHonda goobers to make up for their cars total lack of torque, so they wouldn't look like they were going in reverse when they raced.
Very well said.. I couldn't agree with you more.. My racing is started by a tree and ends at the finish line.. Lets see who has what it takes to win..