Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 guys.... do we stack up to Evo VIII???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 guys.... do we stack up to Evo VIII???

Well, me and my buddies went to the local street races last night and i saw a friend from highschool who had an eclipse. It was alright, but it was nothing compared to my camaro. To make a long story short, i show up and he shows up in a different ride. He traded his eclipse in for an Evo 8. I showed up late but my friends told me he was saying he could take me and that he's way faster than me (basically talkign ****). So im goign to run him. He mods are: intake/exhuast/blow off valve/ and he mentioned hes getting a boost controller. My mods are in sig. I ran a 12.4 (best) but im having a tr 224 cam and long tube headers and a custom tune intalled in the next couple of days. So im wondering, how well do these evo's stack up to use LS1 guys?
Old 08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

in my experience with evo's they can be fast as hell but it takes the right combo of mods, tuner, driver to gte it down. I ran my buddys MR against a stage 2 SRT4 and lost by a fender (from a 20mph roll) But they trully are the best bang for the buck. AWD, manual, 4 door grocery getter and can outhandle a lambo on topgear

anyway as far as the race. if you go form a dig, he will blow you outta the hole but youll blow by him once you get traction. from a roll, youll dust him with ease
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

^^^
Werd. His mods are not enough to run the times your running. Then when you add those mods he will be left out to dry. Now go get his *** and make sure to get it on tape.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Well, me and my buddies went to the local street races last night and i saw a friend from highschool who had an eclipse. It was alright, but it was nothing compared to my camaro. To make a long story short, i show up and he shows up in a different ride. He traded his eclipse in for an Evo 8. I showed up late but my friends told me he was saying he could take me and that he's way faster than me (basically talkign ****). So im goign to run him. He mods are: intake/exhuast/blow off valve/ and he mentioned hes getting a boost controller. My mods are in sig. I ran a 12.4 (best) but im having a tr 224 cam and long tube headers and a custom tune intalled in the next couple of days. So im wondering, how well do these evo's stack up to use LS1 guys?

Those EVO's are quick but only one way to find out were you both stand. Race him and let us know the out come. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will beat him, but make sure if you run him from a dig that you have some drags on. Keep update on what happens, good luck.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Launching!

^Bingo.

Sounds like a good race though from a dig. That level of Evo is capable of mid 12s for sure, but it varies quite a lot due to a number of factors. With the LTs and cam coming, I would bet on you though. Since you are spending that kind of coin, I reconemd a nice tire too. Running on the street is a big holeshot advantage to him, but a nice tire with your mild stall will help you deal with that quite a bit.

Do you think the 224 is a good match for the 3200 stall?

Essentially, you likely have a decent race on your hands on the street from a dig. From a roll you have a big advantage.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, but I don't see him coming close. First off, he is new to the car. Those AWDs take some nice seat time to get the launch down. They bog off the line with new drivers - typically. With those mods, he would be lucky to see high 12s. BOVs do nothing for those cars. There are alot of evo guys on SVTP.com and they get a crack up on the new evo owners, cause they think the BOV is worth something. You should have no problem, IMO.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Launching!

^If the guy has been running around in a DSM he already has the basics. Solid bolt ons make Evos a lot faster than high 12s.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sparetire
^If the guy has been running around in a DSM he already has the basics. Solid bolt ons make Evos a lot faster than high 12s.
Solid bolt ons, I agree. But intake, exhaust and BOV is hardly 'solid bolt ons'. With the BC, he will do better, but I still don't believe a newbie AWD driver will take an evo to it's potential. Not saying it isn't possible. Just giving my opinion in this instance.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Butler county, right above slimey ass Cincinnati, OH

He's got boost. And the new EVO's ul go 11.80s easily with the right driver/tune/bolt-ons & stock turbo.

My suggestion. Cam it or drop in the bottle. Strap on some DR's, and go kick his ***.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this evo gets a tune with more boost it should be a mid 12 car. Now if he's running on race fuel with a **** load of boost it will be a good run. I still say you should kill him especially if you race from a roll.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

It depends on if he's tuned or not. If he's not tuned you'll kill him either way. Those mods are horrible without a tune and an intake has been proven to lose power without one. If he's tuned and can drive it would be close from a dig up to about 95-100 and then you'd pull. From a roll you'd eat him alive.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

My buddies VIII pulled about 1.5-2 cars on me consistantly from 50-130+ when I only had a lid, and a cutout. He has BR Stage II which includes: AIR FILTER KIT, 3" DOWNPIPE, 3" OFFROAD PIPE, 3" CATBACK, MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER 19PSI, ECU FLASH, MAF PIPE KIT, BATTERY KIT, UPPER I/C PIPE KIT. Their car dynoed at 320hp and ran a best of 12.42 @ 111. I haven't got to run him since the LTs and ORY (its been too hot). I expect a nearly dead even outcome.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Im sure ill get flamed for this but, IMO those mods (esp. with a novice driver) would BARELY (if at all) hit 12's. Theres a guy at the local track every now and then w/similar untuned mods and the best he did was something like a 13.3. As to weither hed qualify as a novice driver is beyond me but he NEVER got into 12's with those mods. I say you would murder him from a dig/roll whatever, and if your hitting low 12's IMO it wont even be close. Now that ive said it go ahead, all you EVO fans tell me im full of **** and open fire cause i already know theres plenty of you who'll have plenty to say about that.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

wow.... evo's are starting to scare me now, lol jk. LS1 guys are admitting that evos are badass and that they are the best bang for your buck and complimenting them etc etc etc. I had no idea that the EVO's were that bad ***. I checked out their stock specs and they run a 13.4 stock, which isnt bad. Plus the car im racing has a few mods and he is a bad *** driver (dont get me wrong, the guy is a buddy of mine, but i think hes cocky since the car is new to him, and it feels fast to him becuase he use to have some slow ecplise).... I mean, as for us ls1 guys, z28 cars are rated at mid but mostly high 13's.... ive seen plenty of z28s with just a lid/exhuast do 12.8's. So im thinking, maybe the EVO's are underrated as well, and we just a few mods they too are busting into the high 12's, maybe mid 12s with traction. Im just going to have to find out when i race him, ill keep you guys updated
Old 08-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not really seeing the bang for the buck thing, aren't they around 31-ish thousand bucks new w/ a tendency to tear up their drivetrain without a whole lot of effort? I think I'd personally rather have a LS2 GTO, nicer car and it'll rape a stock EVO from a roll.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro Fan
I'm not really seeing the bang for the buck thing, aren't they around 31-ish thousand bucks new w/ a tendency to tear up their drivetrain without a whole lot of effort? I think I'd personally rather have a LS2 GTO, nicer car and it'll rape a stock EVO from a roll.
I couldent agree more my friend, couldent agree more.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 AM
12 Second Club

They are awesome cars and if I had to chose an import, Evo would be #1 choice for me, but with your mods lightly modded evo will not be able to touch your car man!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Board Certified Idiot

If he Dose not Launch his Car At 5500RPMS he might as well Hang it Up..He wont even have a Chance
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Dude, I raced a badass yellow EVO last weekend from a roll and a dig. Yes he launched at 5K+ and I couldnt even hear my car, he got me a bit off the line and I walked him easy and this was instigated by them following me saying they had 400hp and "wait and see"... I say you will take him, just make sure he stays on it until 3rd, thats what I told this guy. Expexct him to get you off the line so dont be nervous when he does, just shift and watch.