Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Vid: Near stock Cobalt SS smokes NSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we can all agree that the vids were about the worst quality you could possibly get and still half way tell what is going on.

In the first vid for the first few seconds it almost looked like the tailights were Firebird/TA lights, but once you hear the engine in the second vid it's clearly not a V8.

My .02 on the SS is that it's obviously meant to compete with the current "pocket rocket" craze that numerous manufacturers are competing in. And there's nothing wrong with that. Anyone who knows anything about cars knows that these are supposed to be peppy little versions of their base model counterparts, which for essential purposes, are economy cars.

Most of these "pocket rockets" use forced induction to make them more "peppy", and just as with any FI engine, it's not hard to squeeze more power out of them. So they can be made to be resonably quick for what they are.

All of that aside, I've never really cared for NSX's. IMO they are, and always have been, way overpriced for what they are and can do. BUT, why is it that if a NSX gets beat in a race by a car that is a fraction of the price and lacks the "refinement" of a NSX, that it gets ragged on? You can fill in the ______ with any car you want, not just Cobalts. There are a whole slew of cars that could wipe the floor with a NSX in a straightline race that don't have the "styling" or "refinement" or whatever other BS you want to add that has nothing to do with performance facts, of an NSX.

And the answer to that question is the same as it has been forever....people will always downplay a loss of pride (from a vehicle standpoint) by pointing out what other things that they personally like about their vehicle, even though it generally doesn't have any relevence to the reason why the pride was lost. I.E. A guy in a Supra loses a race to an F-body. "Well, I'd still rather drive my Supra because...it's a Supra."
Old 08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
I think we can all agree that the vids were about the worst quality you could possibly get and still half way tell what is going on.

In the first vid for the first few seconds it almost looked like the tailights were Firebird/TA lights, but once you hear the engine in the second vid it's clearly not a V8.

My .02 on the SS is that it's obviously meant to compete with the current "pocket rocket" craze that numerous manufacturers are competing in. And there's nothing wrong with that. Anyone who knows anything about cars knows that these are supposed to be peppy little versions of their base model counterparts, which for essential purposes, are economy cars.

Most of these "pocket rockets" use forced induction to make them more "peppy", and just as with any FI engine, it's not hard to squeeze more power out of them. So they can be made to be resonably quick for what they are.

All of that aside, I've never really cared for NSX's. IMO they are, and always have been, way overpriced for what they are and can do. BUT, why is it that if a NSX gets beat in a race by a car that is a fraction of the price and lacks the "refinement" of a NSX, that it gets ragged on? You can fill in the ______ with any car you want, not just Cobalts. There are a whole slew of cars that could wipe the floor with a NSX in a straightline race that don't have the "styling" or "refinement" or whatever other BS you want to add that has nothing to do with performance facts, of an NSX.

And the answer to that question is the same as it has been forever....people will always downplay a loss of pride (from a vehicle standpoint) by pointing out what other things that they personally like about their vehicle, even though it generally doesn't have any relevence to the reason why the pride was lost. I.E. A guy in a Supra loses a race to an F-body. "Well, I'd still rather drive my Supra because...it's a Supra."
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

By the way the lights look in the back, I think it was an older NSX. Im surprised no one has said anything about this, but what about the sound of the car? No car sounds like an NSX. They have a pretty unique sound and the car that the cobalt was racing had that *different* sound, which leads me to believe it was an NSX.

Since the NSX was older and an auto. This race seems pretty logical to me...I can't really see an older auto NSX running better than a low 14....
Old 08-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Teching In

All of that aside, I've never really cared for NSX's. IMO they are, and always have been, way overpriced for what they are and can do.
Maybe it is that you're only concerned with rambunctious straight line performance.

Which is groovy.... Right?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
By the way the lights look in the back, I think it was an older NSX. Im surprised no one has said anything about this, but what about the sound of the car? No car sounds like an NSX. They have a pretty unique sound and the car that the cobalt was racing had that *different* sound, which leads me to believe it was an NSX.

Since the NSX was older and an auto. This race seems pretty logical to me...I can't really see an older auto NSX running better than a low 14....
Maybe with a driver with Stage 3 osteoarthritis.

91-96 NSX autos run mid 13s with an average driver.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

youre playing with fire.... :-) Even I think mid 13's for an auto pre-97 is a bit generous. My 97 NSX-T would barely run that (13.2)
Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juror_8
Maybe it is that you're only concerned with rambunctious straight line performance.

Which is groovy.... Right?

Oh boy, Honda fan club

No, it's got nothing to do with "just" straightline performance. I said they're overpriced for what they can do, all across the board.

Same goes for your S2k.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

They are way over priced. I roll my eyes every time I hear about the damn car! They are turds for what you get. Nice car. Maybe ate the 30-40k level. But.......
Old 08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CTSVSL65AMG
youre playing with fire.... :-) Even I think mid 13's for an auto pre-97 is a bit generous. My 97 NSX-T would barely run that (13.2)
Targa right?

Heavier?

What did that do for the aeros?

Just want to know if that will influence the #s.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

91-96 NSX autos run mid 13s with an average driver.
Um no....

My LT1 close to stock was faster the the older NSX. My car ran high 13's back then.

The new NSX was a different story though
Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Oh boy, Honda fan club

No, it's got nothing to do with "just" straightline performance. I said they're overpriced for what they can do, all across the board.
Do you know what they are capable of? Do you know their potential outside of light-to-light racing?

Maybe you do...

Same goes for your S2k.
A less informed man would take that as an invitation to discuss things like handling, reliability, heritage, exclusivity, performance at speed, engineering et. cetera

Now even though you opened the door for that, I've hung out at enough domestic spots to know that the mere mention of these things (even to address your above criticisms of my S) would open the flood gates for inappropriate comments and riotous behavior.

So though I know that $32,000 for my S new is a bargain for what it is and what it can do, I'll leave it at that absent some more instigating.

And my S in its current form ($38,849 and counting with mods), will provide you with just the exposition that you need to appreciate it's superior performance potential.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Targa right?

Heavier?

What did that do for the aeros?

Just want to know if that will influence the #s.
umm...like 100 pounds...

the tops were on.

The 97 is the 3.2 not the 3.0, so I had much more power than the 3.0 auto, and ran low 13's at sea level, thus my statement that mid 13's for an auto, pre 97 NSX was a bit generous.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

the 1991 to 1996 NSX's especially autos were in a totally different league than the post 1997's. And who cares? The cobalt is a piece of **** econobox with 0 style and I wouldnt drive one if it was a 12 second ride.

Plus, why even look at the video??? you cant see crap its so dark, that could have been a 1983 AMC eagle for all we know, or even a late 80's prelude.
Wow, you are an idiot. Who cares?? Well obviously just about everyone except for you. You're just pissed because a 20K Domestic sport compact with a few bolt ons can outrun Honda's $90K "exotic Supercar".

Looks like the "piece of ****" is the NSX, not the Cobalt

And for the record, I wouldn't be caught dead driving an NSX. Nothing says "rich snobby ******* with no clue about cars" more than purchasing one of those overpriced, underpowered, and outdated pieces of ****
Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Juror 8, are you on S2Ki.com?

I used to track the crap out of my MY00, maybe you saw it on there, spoon cage, spoon calipers, motor work (NA though) works emotions wheels.

The S2K is one bad *** little car, and I loved it. But even with FI it still is not a world beater.

When my RT/10 was stock it would walk any FI S2k in nor cal, except "sideways" I never ran him, and by the time he was done, I had the Venom package.

My advice, give props where props are due, both domestic and imports...and take antaginistic statesment such as yours in your signature out....especially after just posting for the first time.

Nice car by the way!

Last edited by CTSVSL65AMG; 08-09-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

Do you know what they are capable of? Do you know their potential outside of light-to-light racing?

A less informed man would take that as an invitation to discuss things like handling, reliability, heritage, exclusivity, performance at speed, engineering et. cetera

Now even though you opened the door for that, I've hung out at enough domestic spots to know that the mere mention of these things (even to address your above criticisms of my S) would open the flood gates for inappropriate comments and riotous behavior.

So though I know that $32,000 for my S new is a bargain for what it is and what it can do, I'll leave it at that absent some more instigating.

And my S in its current form ($38,849 and counting with mods), will provide you with just the exposition that you need to appreciate it's superior performance potential.
Just what we needed, another moron import fanboy coming in and raving about his S2000 smoking V8's ect ect ect. By the time your little rice motor actually gets into the powerband an LS1 would have multiple car lenghts on you, stop kidding yourself. "Gotta wait for VTEC dawg"

Wow, you're car is making over 200ft/lbs of torque?? Holy ****, do you actually think thats going to impress anybody?? Thats pathetic, and so are you for coming on here and trolling an LS1 forum.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

things like handling, reliability, heritage, exclusivity, performance at speed, engineering et. cetera
exclusivity?? u drive a honda
heritage?? s2k's have only been around for like 6 yrs, big heritage there
reliablility?? well u got me there, its a honda, it will last foreva
on everything else that u said, like handling and performance at speed, i agree with u
Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Wow, you are an idiot. Who cares?? Well obviously just about everyone except for you. You're just pissed because a 20K Domestic sport compact with a few bolt ons can outrun Honda's $90K "exotic Supercar".

Looks like the "piece of ****" is the NSX, not the Cobalt

And for the record, I wouldn't be caught dead driving an NSX. Nothing says "rich snobby ******* with no clue about cars" more than purchasing one of those overpriced, underpowered, and outdated pieces of ****

Wow, welcome to 2 days ago.

As noted before, the NSX in question costs no where near 90K. A used 1992 auot can be had for high 20's easy.

You should go back and read the thread.

And how do you know I don't know anythign about cars? because I dont drive a nearly decade old TA????

Anyway, I think you are probably one of the only people in the world that wouldnt be seen dead in an NSX.

But to each his own.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe you do...

I most certainly do. I don't know what early model NSX's go for around where you live but I just saw a '92 bone stock with 30k miles @ $42k. And I've seen the newer ones, even used, for 90+.

I never said anything negative about their performance, just that they cost too much.

Reliability, heritage, exclusivity, egineering? Now see example- I.E. A guy in a Supra loses a race to an F-body. "Well, I'd still rather drive my Supra because...it's a Supra."

None of those characteristics have anything to do with why the driver of an NSX just won or lost a race with another car.

I'm impressed. At least you know your place.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

Wow, welcome to 2 days ago.

As noted before, the NSX in question costs no where near 90K. A used 1992 auot can be had for high 20's easy.

You should go back and read the thread.

And how do you know I don't know anythign about cars? because I dont drive a nearly decade old TA????

Anyway, I think you are probably one of the only people in the world that wouldnt be seen dead in an NSX.

But to each his own.
Sorry I'm late, I just saw the thread and felt the need to call you out for being ignorant.

The NSX was a 90K vehicle brand new. The Cobalt SS S/C is a 20K vehicle brand new. Compare apples with apples.

Personally I think the NSX is a piece of garbage, and I would never own nor drive one. In fact, I don't think I would ever own any Honda.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

is it even an NSX?? How do you know? I, like most semi intelligent people, don't simply take BS at face value.

It just looks like someone racing a set of headlights and tailights. I think some kid got his first car, and is posting all kinds of stupid crap on google videos, and less discerning minds are eating it up.
yeah it's a fake NSX . You *******, early NSXs had zero ***** in a straight line; they were extremely nice, corner carving14 second cars. A cobalt SS runs low 14s stock, beating one isn't surprising. Quit nut-swinging off the NSX, a new one is a 12 second car, but it's clear he's not racing a new one.