Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why Honda owners get butthurt on the internet

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why Honda owners get butthurt on the internet

A little while ago, I was asked to explain this phenomenon on our local board. My response seemed to go over pretty well so I figured I'd see how it does here. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Honest Don
Originally Posted by Swervin
Yeah how bout it Don

Ok, seeing as how I'm being pressed for time.

First, there's all the hype that hondas get by the "&" rags(car and driver, road and track, etc.) about nice interiors and such. Mix that in with a car that teenagers can afford and that parents consider safe and reliable for their Special little guys and gals.

Now, what car enthusiast doesn't want to make there ride a lil quicker or set it apart from the crowd. Enter the F&F movies and Sport Import Tuner Magazine and the internet. OMG Honda's can be race cars!

Most of the people in this scenario generally don't have much of a hands-on background in what is a "fast" car. Dad has a toyota and mom has a minivan etc... so when that v-tec kicks in, oh wow! Now, like any other enthusiast, they want more. They start spending thousands of dollars in turbos and what not and they actually do succeed in getting their cars to make almost twice(if not more) the power of what it made originally.

Now they're zipping around town, beating all the other hondas and V6 tiburons and even a stockish mustang or two from stoplight to stoplight. Damn, the movies are right. Honda's are BAD-***!

Then, one night to top it all off, he catches a light with some old guy with a drop-top vette. The honda owner gives him a rev. He's feeling confident after his previous kills and with it comes that cockiness that all 18-25 year olds get. He revs the motor. The old man doesn't seem to notice. The light turns green. The vette owner gooses it off the line but remembers his maturity and eases up to the speed limit. The honda flies past but then realizes what happened. This makes the honda owner think that the vette is scared of his street machine. Oh Noes! Ego overload.

Fast forward to the next night.

The unsuspecting and over-confident honda owner is out v-tecing around and runs into.....GASP.....a late model camaro with a bit of an exhaust note to it.

He gets next to what he thinks will be his next victim, gives a rev and drops a gear to see of the camaro is interested. The camaro owner looks over and gives a grin. OK lets go!

Honk 1

Honk 2

Honk 3 GO!

The honda owner doesn't know what hit him....

Something's not right. wheelhop? no, that can't be it. Maybe my clutch is slipping from all the excess power? Maybe that stupid redneck camaro owner had Nawwzzz? Yeah, thats it. He had Nawzzz.

Somewhere on the way home he start's to think "well, nobody was around, maybe I DID beat him. Nobody saw it, it coulda happened. Yah that's what I'll say. No, I can't do that, its not right. besides he had Nawzz" So he goes on the internet and makes the claim that he ALMOST beat a SS Camaro with a 200 shot. The honda-tech guys all hoot and holler in support and console him to the point where he doesn't feel as bad anymore and he's regained enough confidence to post on an inter-make board.

Guess what happens next.....
Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Not too far from the truth for many of the Honda kids out there. Up where I'm at, we've managed to educate most of them as to what makes a fast car different from a reasonably quick Honda. These days, it's not so much a bunch of Ricers hanging out, it's a mix of Old School Muscle, Detroit Iron and Sport Compacts. There's some crossover racing between the types as someone is always looking to get a benchmark on their ride but everybody gets along pretty well. If experienced folks with FAST cars spent a little more time hanging out with these under educated kids, there'd be less of the F&F BS and less light to light in town racing. It'd probably take some of the Street Racing heat off of all of us. The biggest impact us older guys have made on these kids is to get them to quit the light to light crap and go out on the deserted road in the country. Ya kill less innocents that way.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Some of it also stems from the attitudes the general public (which includes their VERY influential on them, parents) have towards domestic/American cars as a whole. They constantly hear, from EVERY source (parents, friends, ALL media, etc.) how HORRIFIC domestic product has to be. Therefore, in their feeble minds, they conclude that ALL domestic product must also be slower than their infallibly superior Nippon/Asian/foreign product as well.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Ive raced enough times to get some good rep on the street. From going out there in my Mustang and making it as legendary "VTEC killing" machine as I could make it. Now with my LS1 ive beat stripped out Hondas with swapped modded motors and slicks.

Now word on the street is that me and BubbaBFP are on nitrous for a very long time. All I have to say, is if we were on the bottle, then our cars are ******* slow. I cant wait till either one of us gets on the bottle. Cant wait to see what the excuses are gonna be.

When it comes down to street racing. LS1's are extremely deadly. But it also all comes down to driver. BubbaBFP is the only Camaro around here that has beat me. Every other LS1 has lost. Im not saying im a badass driver or anything. But I can drive it decently. Im sure many of you guys will spank me in driving ability.

Hondas can be fast, but when kids believe that FWD will always outlaunch RWD, they should learn the basics before they get into modding.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Net drama = street racing story, I have learned much.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:48 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

I love my F-Body but my Honda had its advantages. First of all the handling was a hell of a lot better. I cant haul *** around the turns on the country roads anymore. Everytime I try my rear end wants to slide around. And second it was just a nicer car. looked better, more comfortable, and smoother ride. It was a really nice car and I had fun with it. But it just wasnt fast enough. I had to almost relearn how do drive when I traded for my Ls1. lol. A 200hp fwd is a lot different than a 300 hp rwd. I thought I would mis my Honda but I dont. I love my Ls1 and I dont ever want to go back.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Looks nicer? If you say so.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HTX
Honda had its advantages. First of all the handling was a hell of a lot better. I cant haul *** around the turns on the country roads anymore. Everytime I try my rear end wants to slide around. And second it was just a nicer car. looked better, more comfortable, and smoother ride.

good joke.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:10 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

It did look nice. It was an Acura CL. It wasnt a riced out civic if thats what your'e thinking. It was a cool car. It just wasnt very fast.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

Opinions are like a-holes. IMO a CL looks decent, but nothing better looking about them to me. And handling...the cl pulls what..about .82 on the skidpad? The Trans Am only got around .86, but its still more than the CL..not to mention the **** *** understeer in a CL. The fact that you cant drive a RWD car well doesnt mean the CL handles better.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Its not about me being able to or not able to drive a rwd. I hang out alot at car meets (at least 2 a week) I know a few things about lots of cars. I watch alot of the races and I talk to as many people as I can. So its not like I am ignorant to what a good driver can do in my car. I have a friend that got behind the wheel of my car and drove the **** out of it. He is a far better driver than I am. He keeps tellin me he will teach me to launch better. Im still waiting...
Back to my point. One of the races that is popular to the import guys is one that involves a u turn that is 5 lanes wide, and 2 90 degree turns that are 3 lanes wide. This is where the imports shine. Because they can fly around these turns going speeds that most F-bodies and Stangs cannot. (there is however a Z06 that dominated this course) If the heavier V8s tried to do what some of the imports do on these turns they usually end up hitting one of the medians or losing control. The smart F-Body guys just go easy on the corners letting the ricers go and then catch up to the on the straight aways.

Notice I said usually ^^^ Not ALL the F-bodies fucked up these turns.

Yeah the understeer was shitty.

Last edited by HTX; 10-13-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha. I liked it.

"Guess what happens next..."

MORE!?! I want more!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HTX
Its not about me being able to or not able to drive a rwd. I hang out alot at car meets (at least 2 a week) I know a few things about lots of cars. I watch alot of the races and I talk to as many people as I can. So its not like I am ignorant to what a good driver can do in my car. I have a friend that got behind the wheel of my car and drove the **** out of it. He is a far better driver than I am. He keeps tellin me he will teach me to launch better. Im still waiting...
Back to my point. One of the races that is popular to the import guys is one that involves a u turn that is 5 lanes wide, and 2 90 degree turns that are 3 lanes wide. This is where the imports shine. Because they can fly around these turns going speeds that most F-bodies and Stangs cannot. (there is however a Z06 that dominated this course) If the heavier V8s tried to do what some of the imports do on these turns they usually end up hitting one of the medians or losing control. The smart F-Body guys just go easy on the corners letting the ricers go and then catch up to the on the straight aways.

Notice I said usually ^^^ Not ALL the F-bodies fucked up these turns.

Yeah the understeer was shitty.
heavier V8's?? The weight advantage in a vette isnt that damn much, its not like f-bods are 4000 lbs, lol. My trans am weighed in at under 3500 with no weight reduction, actually I have added weight.
My bosses crappy accord weighs in at more than my car.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

When I was 16 years old and out car shopping, my dream car was a Z28. While a helped in buying my first car, I didn't make enough to buy a car on my own or pay insurance. So long story short I ended up with a honda. I drove the honda for almost 3 years. It was very reliable and good on gas. I enjoyed the little car and lightly modded it throughout the 3 years of ownership, but I never forgot my dream of owning a Z. Right before my 19th birthday I had saved enough money to get my baby. I bought a 1998 Z and never looked back. The car is awesome. In my opinion the car looks so much better. It is sooooooo much faster. Its so much more awesome to race vettes and stangs than V6 powered family sedans. I appreciate the art of taking something slow and making it quick. But when you take something fast and mod it....you have something special...something you can't easily get from a honda.

PS - No matter how much you spend on your honda it will never sound like a V8!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

sounds just like me. when i was 16 i got a ford contour. i lowered it and that was about it. it was fun to drive around and it was good on gas. i am almost 19 i finnaly in may had enough money so i went to auction and snaged my 02Z28 and i just like you have never looked back. I still got my contour and drive it now and then but still nothing compaires to what i got now
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HTX
I love my F-Body but my Honda had its advantages. First of all the handling was a hell of a lot better. I cant haul *** around the turns on the country roads anymore. Everytime I try my rear end wants to slide around. And second it was just a nicer car. looked better, more comfortable, and smoother ride. It was a really nice car and I had fun with it. But it just wasnt fast enough. I had to almost relearn how do drive when I traded for my Ls1. lol. A 200hp fwd is a lot different than a 300 hp rwd. I thought I would mis my Honda but I dont. I love my Ls1 and I dont ever want to go back.
Of course the ride is going to be smoother. It's an economy car with softer suspension. And taking turns faster in a Honda? It might feel easier, but that's because you're only going 30mph in a 1/4 mile stretch before the turn and don't have to slow down at all lol
Old 10-13-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Um, a 98+ fbody destroys the CL when it comes to handling... Unless the shocks are toast or the tires bald on the fbody.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:56 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

haha ok guys. You dont have to agree with me. I was just sticking up for the little guys out there in thier VTECh's cause Ive been there. Only 3 months ago I was in one. I too only drove it because I couldnt afford a Camaro. The first chance I got I sold it and got my dream car. Its not in great shape but its my dream car. Ill give up a little bit of luxury or gas mileage for an LS1 anyday.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:02 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

The weight advantage in a vette isnt that damn much, its not like f-bods are 4000 lbs, lol. My trans am weighed in at under 3500 with no weight reduction, actually I have added weight.
My bosses crappy accord weighs in at more than my car.
Hey man do you know that some of those import guys can get thier car under 2400 lbs? compared to that 3500 lbs is pretty heavy.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

well I am well aware of that my camaro has no problems with any honda I have met..... always been big kills

My DD is a Saab 9-5 Aero with some upgrades, doing apx. 270hp and it really runs good for a 4 banger with a turbo.... don't know if any of you guys ever been beating on one, but then acceleration is good. More and more I like racing Honda's more in that then the Camaro... I gotta work for it....

Quick Reply: Why Honda owners get butthurt on the internet